Nintendo Revolution FIRST PICS

• Thread starter Max_DC
  • 46 comments
Germany
Germany
Wangan01
Wangan01
Nintendo Revolution Thread

Post everything about Nintendo's upcoming console here !

Tokio, May 13, 2005 :
- Nintendo Revolution release in 2006
- Nintendo Revolution will be about the thickness of three standard DVD cases
- backward compatible
- medium : DVD
- wireless Internet ready out of the box
- development partners IBM and ATI

Update as soon as new information is availible...

:nervous: Honestly that doesn't sound too good for me... I mean as small as the console is, it will be hard to compete against the hardware monsters Xbox 360 and PS3 I'm afraid... I don't know, maybe it is good to go another way, you know being a real alternative to XB360 and PS3 rather than try to beat them in an open fight...
What do you think ?

Who knows, it may be a hardware beast. There's practically no info on it right now but some of the rumors I've heard sound pretty sweet (pics below)

rev033pl.jpg

rev020ps.jpg

Anyways, E3 is in a day or two. Most of it will be revealed then 👍

Mango.
Who knows, it may be a hardware beast. There's practically no info on it right now but some of the rumors I've heard sound pretty sweet (pics below)

Anyways, E3 is in a day or two. Most of it will be revealed then 👍

Well i hope so, I'm really looking forward to a new Mario, Mario Kart, Zelda, Wave Race, Starfox and especially PILOT WINGS.... oh man ... can't wait .... :nervous: :drool:

e3-2005-high-res-revolution-images-20050517072756634.jpg

Looks like a Ps2 probably one of the best looking out of the next gen consoles

Well, from what I read, the Ps3 is 25 times more powerful then this gen, xbox360 is 15 times more powerful, and the nintendo revolution is 2.5 times more powerful...

sicbeing
Well, from what I read, the Ps3 is 25 times more powerful then this gen, xbox360 is 15 times more powerful, and the nintendo revolution is 2.5 times more powerful...
And yet, no one cares that specs don't mean squat. I'm glad that Nintendo was very conservative with the power claims. Its not about how powerful, but how good the games are. I have a PS2, XBox, and Cube. Regardless of power, they all have great games. All the power claims are just fluff anyway. If a game sucks, it will suck no matter how powerful the system. I will end up with all the new systems, so I don't really care. But really people, wait until they show actual REAL, developed games. All of the games and things so far are so early to judge things on. They all look fantasic so far, but just wait and see.

Hilg

Honestly I think that the policy of Nintendo to outpower the Game Cube only by 2-3 times ( compare PS2 > PS3 over a dozen times, as stated by Sony) is VER VERY dangerous.... I hope for Nintendo this console is cheap as hell , otherwise REVOLUTION might follow the sad path of the Dreamcast.... :nervous:

The Cube was very powerful, people need to understand that. The Xbox had more specs, but the Cube was the best when it came to graphical horsepower. So, even if they only make the Revo 3x faster, its fine with me. Like I said earlier, its not about specs, its about games. The games are what sell the systems.

Thats the problem the DC had, not lack of specs. It came out, and was a big hit. But then, developers started leaving to start on PS2 stuff. There were some great games on DC, but many of the big ones left to go to PS2. It wasn't for lack of power. They just came out too early.

Hilg

man...dreamcast was the first sega based system i actually liked...and it had to bomb

nintendo, doing things right from 1981 to 2006, 25 years of good experience :)

JNasty4G63
The Cube was very powerful, people need to understand that. The Xbox had more specs, but the Cube was the best when it came to graphical horsepower. So, even if they only make the Revo 3x faster, its fine with me. Like I said earlier, its not about specs, its about games. The games are what sell the systems.

Thats the problem the DC had, not lack of specs. It came out, and was a big hit. But then, developers started leaving to start on PS2 stuff. There were some great games on DC, but many of the big ones left to go to PS2. It wasn't for lack of power. They just came out too early.

Hilg

Well, I will buy it for sure, but you have to consider the average joe : He says " Hey that little thingy should play games or what ? Look at the grafics, the Xbox360 / PS3 of my neighbor blows that thing away, and what is that weird looking pad anyway ?"

That is what scares me... innovation is great, but also dangerous.... In my opinion Nintendo could score with a small price and as always with excusive first class games... I really hope that Nintendo can keep up... economically....
Hey who knows ? Maybe at the last day of E3 Sega shows his 2reamcast
with 12 GHertz , a new Sega Rally, Daytona, Shenmue & Sonic ! :sly:
:embarrassed:
Then we all would be like :eek: :drool: .... but without joking, I really hope they return someday... they seem to recover pretty well so, who knows...

Live coverage of the press conference in written form.... click here :

http://cube.ign.com/articles/615/615089p1.html?reload=true

May 17, 2005 - Reporting live from the conference:

9:30 am: Kodak Theatre, fifth floor, Ball Room. Nintendo's annual E3 conference is about to start. The house is packed full. Many people could not score seats and are standing at every side of the auditorium.

9:37 am: Still nothing. Nintendo is fashionably late.

9:40 am: The fire marshall is not happy. The start of the conference is delayed until the most flammable Nintendo fans are moved out of the way.

9:45 am: Lights dim. The crowd claps. A Nintendo intro video appears on screen. Reggie voiceover remix: "We remain all about the games. My name is Reggie, we're about kicking ass."

9:50 am: Iwata takes stage. Says he's about playing games. "Who's your daddy," he asks. A video plays.

9:51 am: Footage of DS games. Footage of Geist, ElectroPlankton, Nintendogs, Mario Kart, Zelda, Killer 7, Viewtiful Joe DS, Madden, Batallion Wars. The crowd cheers. The video ends.

9:54 am: The crowd cheers and Reggie takes the stage. "We at Nintendo continue to explore the videogames," he says. Promises information about new gameplay on Nintendo DS and promises solid information on Nintendo Revolution.

9:55 am: Reggie jokes about console specs for 360 -- offers another number: "2." As in "2 billion games sold by Nintendo." Says it's just the beginning. "Nintendo is not an 'or' company. Nintendo is an 'an' company." Talks about how Nintendo is about "change" -- and how more change is on the way. "We exist for the love the game." Reggie promises a new dimension of gameplay on DS.

9:56 am: "Today, you will begin to understand how our Revolution is preparing to storm the gates." Says Nintendo created the game space and "we're not moving out." He then compares the Game Boy Advance to PS2 in sales -- GBA has sold more than 28 million units in the US, even though it launched eight months later. Global sell-through for DS is 5 million -- twice that of PSP.

9:59 am: Hollands still likes it. Takes the stage to demonstrate some music tracks. He composed entire tracks from the unit. Sound demo appears to use sounds from synthesizers, however (the bass is too heavy for a DS demo).

10:01 am: Reggie returns. Says Nintendo didn't invent the concept of online gaming. But they intend to reinvent it. Reggie says Nintendo partnered with IGN Entertainment's GameSpy division to provide wireless online play -- uses hot spots around the world. "Simple and intuitive."
Believes 90% of DS owners will be online. the service will be free, outside the house via hotspots and free inside your house. "Users won't face monthly gameplay bills." Reggie says Nintendo is working to overcome the current "macho style of online games."

10:04 am: "Around the world, 25 publishers are working on DS wireless games including all the big players. Mario Kart DS and Animal Crossing wireless internet by end of year -- Tony Hawk game, too. Mario Kart will be demoed on the showfloor wirelessly.

10:06 am: Nintendogs is up next. Taught the Japanese game world to sit up and take notice, with 400,000 copies sold in Japan in a month. DS was the bestseller in Japan for the launch period, outselling PSP by a factor of 3. Tina Wood from G4 takes the stage to demonstrate Nintendogs. She's got a pug named Mia. Tells the dog to say "hi" and dog moves mouth. Says "lay down" and dog lays down. Says "new Zelda" thee times and dog shows no reaction. Oops. A little Mario Kart is driving around the virtual room and the dog follows it. Then Tina gives the dog a bath and demonstrates "bark mode."

10:11 am: Tina uses wireless technology to search for a friend for to play with. System searches. We hear a bark. Bill Trinen's dog Mario comes into play.

10:12 am: Shigeru Miyamoto takes the stage. Applause. Miyamoto and Wood converse in English (she's his number 1 fan, etc.), Miyamoto's dog does a handstand in the game and then mount's Tina's dog. Laughter. Miyamoto asks: "Would you like me to show you a few more tricks?" She says yes. He replies: "Then please follow me backstage." Laughter.

10:14 am: Reggie shows the Game Boy Micro. Says "I know you haven't seen this. It's a hair bigger and two-thirds the weight of an iPod Mini." It's not new technology, but a new look and has the "best and brightest screen ever in a handheld." Not a successor to DS or GBA, but an extension of portable play. The system can be customized with a wide array of face plates and will hit this fall.

10:15 am: Reggie says games are the most important thing. Montage of video footage plays. Fire Emblem, Yoshi Topsy Turvy, Pokemon Emerald, Nintendogs, Mega Man Battle Network 5, Mario Kart DS, Need for Speed DS, Pac'n Roll, Trace Memory. Phoenix Wright, GoldenEye, Mario and Luigi 2, Advance Wars Dual Strike, Spyro, Kirby Kanvas Curse, Meteos, New Super Mario Bros., Castlevania, Trauma Center, Viewtiful Joe DS. End of montage. Iwata is back on stage.

9:18 am: Iwata takes tage. Introduces Revolution. Holds up the tiny, Mac Mini-sized unit. Crowd cheers. Says it's the smallest console Nintendo has ever manufactured. Says the final machine will be even smaller than the concept unit he's holding. Can stand horizontally or vertically. Revolution will play 12cm (DVD) discs (and GameCube software, too). Added attachment can be used to play movies and other DVD content. Machine has 512 MB of onboard flash memory for data storage.

9:20 am: "When you turn on Revolution and see the graphics, you will say 'wow!'" "Our competitors have detailed the power of their core processor and display. But the advantages of our technology will also have no bearing on gameplay. I know, this is one of those mysterious comments," he says. Says wifi will be built into every Nintendo product so controller, TV, console, and internet can interact. Nintendo intends to develop a device that's functional and appealing to every member in the household -- whether gamers or not. All controllers will be wireless. Also, the controllers will be very unique "in ways we will share with you... later." Already working on several wifi games for launch. Smash Bros. will be launch game -- wifi.

9:24 am: For Revolution, "Miyamoto is challenging his teams to create something new." His new creation will debut with Revolution. Big franchises will of course be there -- including new versions of Mario and Zelda. Short (pre-rendered) Metroid Prime 3 clip showing Samus standing in front of her redesigned spaceship. "We expect strong third-party support in both hemisphere." For example, Square Enix is already working on Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicle for Revolution.

9:27 am: Iwata: Convinced game development on Revolution will be easier and far less costly than for other machines. "Big idea can prevail over big budget." Revolution is a solution to help maximize creative freedom. Iwata then talks about backward compatibility. "Redefining term of backward compatability." It's a virtual console, able to download 20 years of Nintendo content. You will be able to Download NES, Super NES and N64 games. You can get every Nintendo game ever made. "Revolution shares a vision with DS. The machine is just a tool for software."

9:30 am: Next year, Revolution will fully serve core gamers. "We will attract casual gamers using consumer friendly content control and internet. And we will even draw non-gamers to our Revolution showing them how much fun there is and what we all do already. We call this 'all-access gaming.'" Iwata concludes by saying gamers touch his heart when they pick up the controller and enjoy the games.

9:32 am: George Harrison takes stage to talk about GameCube. System has sold 10 million units in America alone. There are 60 new titles on the way in 2005. There will be 400 games in total.

9:33 am: Batallion Wars: save the world by clearing over 20 missions in a combination of action and RTS. Gameplay clip plays.

9:34 am: Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness. It's a full-fledged RPG with a dark and sinister plot. "Pokemon is serious business." Emerald and other GBA titles will move to the big screen when XD launches in October. A quick Killer 7 clip plays.

9:35 am: Harrison introduces new Mario titles: Super Mario Strikers, Mario Baseball, Dance Dance Revolution: Mario Mix (big cheers), and Mario Party 7. Montage shows Fire Emblem, Geist, Killer 7, Pokemon XD, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Donkey Konga 2, Incredible Hulk 2, Madagascar, Madden NFL 06, One Piece, Scooby Doo, Spartan, Mario Mix, Mario Party 7, Strikers , Mario Party, WWE Day of Reckoning 2, Harvest Moon, Nintendo Pennant Chase Baseball, Shadow the Hedgehog, Midway Arcade, Medal of Honor.

9:38 am: "Of course we have saved the best for last. Today, prepare to see Link as you've never seen him before." Zelda trailer plays. Lights are flashing in the audience to simulate lightning flashes in the trailer. And yes, Link turns into a wolf in the trailer. Crowd goes wild.

9:41 am: Reggie is back on stage. Welcomes producer and director Eiji Aonuma. "Since you like the trailer, I have a present for you." Pulls Zelda video compressed on a DS cartridge out of a sleeve, goes "dadadadaaaa!" (Zelda chime.)

9:44 am: Reggie says good bye: "Be prepared to let your right brain run wild."

End of conference.

credits to http://cube.ign.com/

Max_DC
That is what scares me... innovation is great, but also dangerous....
True, but at its core, Nintendo is a game company. Not a media giant like both Sony and MS. They just do games, so they need a system that plays games. Not video conferencing, DVR, slideshow and other things. I think they will be just fine. They have enough good in-house games that are always ground breaking and superb. I think they will be fine. We'll have to wait and see once we get closer to actual launch and see some REAL games with all these systems. But, I think they'll be fine.
Max_DC
....In my opinion Nintendo could score with a small price and as always with excusive first class games... I really hope that Nintendo can keep up... economically....
One word...........Pokemon. They will be fine with the $$$$. People underestimate the $$$$ that is in the youth market. Sure, Nintendo might not have as many great, blockbuster games as the others. But Wind Waker, Prime 1 & 2, and RE4 are great games. They will make most of their $$$ in the youth market, and have some very good games for the older crowd. They always do.
Max_DC
...Hey who knows ? Maybe at the last day of E3 Sega shows his 2reamcast
with 12 GHertz , a new Sega Rally, Daytona, Shenmue & Sonic ! :sly:
:embarrassed:
Then we all would be like :eek: :drool: .... but without joking, I really hope they return someday... they seem to recover pretty well so, who knows...
I hope you're not holding your breath for that one. There is no chance Sega gets back into the console war. They tried, many times, and couldn't stick. I own every Sega system, and love them all, but they just don't last. Its a 3 horse race now.

Hilg

JNasty4G63
I hope you're not holding your breath for that one. There is no chance Sega gets back into the console war. They tried, many times, and couldn't stick. I own every Sega system, and love them all, but they just don't last. Its a 3 horse race now.

Hilg

Well, who knows; certainly not this time, but perhaps ( ok probably not, but...) they come back in 2011 or so when the next generation comes....

Concerning the Nintendo Revolution... I just said, that it iis dangerous to release a console that maybe has half or less performance than its competitors... Yeah, maybe it works for the reason you and me brought up, but... you know... although Nintendo wouldn't be ruined by a failure of the Revolution, that could happen... but let's be optimistic....

Looks like everyone is emulating Sony's vertical monolith PS2 design. How original. :rolleyes:

However, I think it looks better than the Xbox 360. Something about it says Nintendo and I'm not talking about the *****, child-oriented Nintendo. No, but the old-school Nintendo that we grew up with.

I like it.

Well... what I want to see now is some video footage... you know a Zelda riding through the forest, a Mario jumping around, a Jetski in the rough sea, a Rocket Belt on a beautiful island....
I mean until now we have a console without a pad and a lot of blah blah ( look at post # 18 above ): The revolution of gaming will come - we have a quarter of the power comparing to our rivals Sony & MS, but believe us, the Revolution will be a revolution ....
Erh... yes... fine.... I hope they have videos on E3....

JNasty4G63
And yet, no one cares that specs don't mean squat. I'm glad that Nintendo was very conservative with the power claims. Its not about how powerful, but how good the games are. I have a PS2, XBox, and Cube. Regardless of power, they all have great games. All the power claims are just fluff anyway. If a game sucks, it will suck no matter how powerful the system. I will end up with all the new systems, so I don't really care. But really people, wait until they show actual REAL, developed games. All of the games and things so far are so early to judge things on. They all look fantasic so far, but just wait and see.

Hilg

I'm with you on this - CPU specs mean very little to me. It's more about the games than anything. Though the problem is that CPU specs sell the hardware, so the machine with the best specs gets the most units in the market, and the developers make greater strives for the bigger markets.

LoudMusic
I'm with you on this - CPU specs mean very little to me. It's more about the games than anything.
Exactly. The specs are just a bunch of fluff right now anyway. I'm glad Nintendo didn't just add to it. We'll see in the coming months more about actual game play. But right now, all the specs and movies are just a buffed up taste of something to come. They look good, don't get me wrong. But, I'll reserve actual judgement on which system is the better once they are all in my house.
LoudMusic
.....Though the problem is that CPU specs sell the hardware, so the machine with the best specs gets the most units in the market, and the developers make greater strives for the bigger markets.
Not always. In Japan, when Nintendo released "Nintendogs", the DS was virtually sold out everywhere because everyone was so hooked on the game. This even AFTER the PSP was released. The PSP no doubt has the specs to make a great system. But, specs are only so good. Its all about good games, and as of yet, nothing has me itching to play my PSP. But, you give me some Wario Ware or Yoshi Touch on my DS, and I'm hooked for hours. I can't put the thing down.

I just hope, regardless of specs of all the systems, that the games are good and innovative. Not the same things we've been playing, just buffed up and nice looking.

Hilg

JNasty4G63
Exactly. The specs are just a bunch of fluff right now anyway. I'm glad Nintendo didn't just add to it. We'll see in the coming months more about actual game play. But right now, all the specs and movies are just a buffed up taste of something to come. They look good, don't get me wrong. But, I'll reserve actual judgement on which system is the better once they are all in my house.

Not always. In Japan, when Nintendo released "Nintendogs", the DS was virtually sold out everywhere because everyone was so hooked on the game. This even AFTER the PSP was released. The PSP no doubt has the specs to make a great system. But, specs are only so good. Its all about good games, and as of yet, nothing has me itching to play my PSP. But, you give me some Wario Ware or Yoshi Touch on my DS, and I'm hooked for hours. I can't put the thing down.

I just hope, regardless of specs of all the systems, that the games are good and innovative. Not the same things we've been playing, just buffed up and nice looking.

Hilg

I can only speak from the PS2 perspective, as I don't have a GC, but I would like to see more games like Ico, Oni, Katamari, and Prince of Persia. First person shooters are soooo over rated. They're all the same these days. I have been told that Pikmen (sp?) on GC is an excellent game - unique and lots of fun.

One thing the Nintendo console is going to have to realize is the advantages of a hard drive. Virtually unlimited storage capacity, faster game loads, and downloadable / updatable content.

LoudMusic
I can only speak from the PS2 perspective, as I don't have a GC, but I would like to see more games like Ico, Oni, Katamari, and Prince of Persia. First person shooters are soooo over rated. They're all the same these days. I have been told that Pikmen (sp?) on GC is an excellent game - unique and lots of fun.
I totally agree. Ico was great. Have you seen the info and shots of "Shadow of the Colossus" coming out later this year??? Its by the same crew that did Ico, and looks amazing. Hard to describe, just look it up. Should be a winner. And yes, Pikmin is crazy fun. Weird, but in a good way. Much like Katamari. They are a bit crazy when you first start, but then you can't stop. Great fun, and games that just stand out.

I also agree with the FPS thing. While I do like a little Halo every now and then, they are all the same. Get a gun, blow some shiz up, and repeat. Fun for a while, and a good group play, but those game are being stretched a litttle thin.
LoudMusic
One thing the Nintendo console is going to have to realize is the advantages of a hard drive. Virtually unlimited storage capacity, faster game loads, and downloadable / updatable content.
Agree, a little. While I think the hard drive is a good step, its just not that big of a necessity, YET. It won't speed up game loads any though. You would have to get the info off the disc, to the hard drive, then into ram. Thats just one too many steps. With the huge ammounts of RAM that these systems will have, loading should be very minimal. Depends on how the developers utilize the space, but it should be fine.

The downloadable content is another story though. I have a feeling that the Revo will have a hard drive. They talked in their press conference about being able to buy and download virtually every NES, SNES, and N64 game ever made. Thats good, but you have to put them somewhere. And with only 512MB of onboard flash, an HD would be perfect. Even if its only like 20-30GB, that would be great. We'll have to see once the actual specs and hardware are shown. And also more about what they are talking about with downloadable content. The HD would be great, but only if its utilized. Remember the 64DD???

The hard drives in the current systems are basically just paper weights. It was pretty much just fluff on the XBox, used just for saves, music and crap. And basically a bomb on PS2 with only FF-XI using it. If they plan to use the space, then go for it. But, if its just in there to add features and so I can "add music and pictures" to games, I'll pass.

Hilg

Just watched the Nintendo conference... and it might sound crazy, but I have somehow the feeling that maybe ( a little tiny maybe ) Revolution will be a bit like
Virtual Boy with a sort of VR-googels... it's just a feeling, but that came to my mind as
I watched the presentation.... would be cool.... sounds ridiculous... and maybe it is...

vboy1.jpg

I will get a lot of static for this, but I think the Revolution will do really well. With Nintendo you have a really great database of awesome games. And Nintendo announced that The revolution will feature downloadable games from the Nes Era to the 64. That sold me. Xbox 360 has Gears of War, and PS3 has Killzone 2. Those were the only things interesting out of the entire confrence (to me). But Nintendo has strong looking titles for Gamecube, DS, and GBA. (except GBA Micro, I dont like that at all.) So I think Nintendo has a really great chance at this market. The Xbox360 is turning away the hardcore gamer, the PS3 will most likely be so expensive, it'll be unbearable. I think Revolution wont revolutionize the industry with power, but with origionality, innovation, and great first party game developing. So its revolution for me.

Back