Distance unit used in Data Logger

• Thread starter amp88
  • 19 comments
Does anyone know with any certainty the value of the distance unit shown in the Data Logger? It looks like "mi" or "ml" to me, but I'm not sure.

I was trying to work out the value of one of these units in metres (to calculate the stopping distance of some cars), so I went out to the test track in arcade mode. I took out a car and rolled along at 15mph from the start line. When I got to the 100 metre marker, I gave the car a burst of throttle, and did this at the 400, 1000 and 1500 metre boards. Then after the run, I checked the data logger for the bursts of acceleration.

From the data I gathered, the mysterious unit appears to be equal to 16 metres, but I'd like to know if anyone can say for certain...?

Mi would stand for milles but I don't know any distance unit for ml and I think that you chose the units in options so it should be the unit that you chose.

gt_masta
Mi would stand for milles but I don't know any distance unit for ml and I think that you chose the units in options so it should be the unit that you chose.

Changing the units used in options makes no difference at all, good thought, but unfortunatly it makes no difference. All mine are currently set to Imperial units but the data logger still insists that I measure distance in the made up just for GT4 unit of an ml.

I've even tried using acronymfinder.com, which gives me just over 70 results, including Mile (chiefly British), well its clearly not a mile and I'm British and have to say have never used ml for mile. My favorite from them so far is 'Marxist Leninist', I quite like the idea of measuring braking distances in the number of Marxist Leninist lead end to end, I don't however think that this would count as an internationaly recognised unit of measurement, still that does not seem to have stopped PD from makong one up.

Regards

Scaff

why not just drive a 400m trial, then look at the replay in the analyzer... divide units of throttle by 400m .. there you go, you know what the units are.

Dr_Watson
why not just drive a 400m trial, then look at the replay in the analyzer... divide units of throttle by 400m .. there you go, you know what the units are.

It will not work on the 0-400, 0-1000 or Vegas events as they do not give you access to the data logger.

However, you did get me thinking on this one and please be aware that the following figures have been put together quickly.

I ran the test track as its a known 10km, have just ran the inside, middle and outer lanes and the average distance in the data logger is 643 mls.

So from that

10km = 643 ml

1km = 64.3 ml

0.015km = 1 ml

15meters = 1ml

Meters appears to be the unit of choice here and it would appear that 1ml is equal to approx 15 meters.

Now to put this to a very rough test I jumped into my stock Ford GT and headed to the test track to try some 70mph - 0mph distance runs on N2 tyres.

Autocar measured this stopping distance as 52.4 meters when they tested the car, lets see what GT4 gives us.

I carried out 3 braking tests from 70 mph and used the average distance (as taken from the data logger) to get:

GT4 = 3.1 ml * 15 meters = 46.5 meters

The GT4 figure has the Ford GT stopping 5.9 meters shorter that Autocar, now given that the meters to ml calculations were very rough and ready and that true wheel locking from exceeding threshold braking does not seem possiable in GT4, the distances are close enough for me to say that 1 ml is roughly equal to 15 meters.

Regards

Scaff

and many thanks to Dr Watson for the idea in the first place. 👍

When i check the data logger, it says meters (using metric setting in options),
mainly on "the green hell".

I didn't think that there would be any difference in the games sold in europe.
But maybe it is. Strange.

Rob the Fiend
When i check the data logger, it says meters (using metric setting in options),
mainly on "the green hell".

I didn't think that there would be any difference in the games sold in europe.
But maybe it is. Strange.

Right I've just tried this and Rob is totaly correct (and apologies to gt masta). I could have sworn that I had tried this before, but obviously I hadn't.

If you change MPH to KPH the data logger reads in meters and actually gives you a much more acurate scale to work with as well.

Ford GT stopping distance 70-0mph = 48.8 meters

Which means that the GT4 vs Autocar figure is now only 3.6 meters different (48.8 vs 52.4).

48.8 / 3.1 = 15.74 meters

1 ml = 15.74 meters approx

Regards

Scaff

Bloody hell, how much time have I just wasted!!!!

Did a quick test myself.

I ran Autumn ring mini, entered the data logger, checked the maximum lap lenght, (1337.4m), jumped into options, set mph, rechecked datalogger, (83.1mi), ran the calculation.

1mi = 16.09 meters.

Maybe someone better check more tracks to make sure.

You can drive the Test Course in Arcade mode (as I did). If you read my first post you'll see the technique I was talking about. Drive along off the throttle from the start line, when you get to the 100 metre marker, hit the throttle. Do the same at numerous points along the track.

Keep going and finish the lap. Then go into the Data Logger and look for the bursts of acceleration. If you remember where you hit the throttle (e.g. at the 100, 400, 1000 and 1500 metre markers) you can correlate the bursts of throttle in the logger with the bursts of throttle on the track. This is the most accurate way of checking I can think of...

The easiest way to get this ratio exact is to save a ghost replay of a run on any track.

Then have a look at the data logger with MPH set and get the overal distance in mls, then switch to KPH and get the overall distance in meters.

Once you have both for a track you can work out the correct ratio, pity I'm at work at the moment and can't do this.

Regards

Scaff

sounds to me like its as the guy said 16 metres, 100th of a mile, dont remember the data logger screen but im assuming the ml or mi is miles and the lowest unit on screen is 100th of a ml/mi or whatever

BFI
sounds to me like its as the guy said 16 metres, 100th of a mile, dont remember the data logger screen but im assuming the ml or mi is miles and the lowest unit on screen is 100th of a ml/mi or whatever

A mile is something like 1603.2 metres... so there could be a tiny error in the calculations, but over 10k a small error will soon add up.

Im not gonna say anymore, 'cos I think GT4 should be about driving, not statistics, even if the result will be rather useful for driving purposes. Ill leave it to those with more spare time than I.

OK time to finish this one off.

I ran four tracks and then took the final data logger distances in both ml and meters, results as follows (all figures rounded to the nearest two points of decimal):

Beginers course
45.3ml / 730.4m = 1ml:16.12meters

Tsukuba
131.3ml / 2,114.4m = 1ml:16.10meters

Test Course
642.6ml / 10,342.2m = 1ml:16.09meters

Nurburgring
1,289.2ml / 20,748.6m = 1ml:16.09meters

Adding the total distances we get:

2,108.4ml / 33,935.6m = 1ml:16.10meters

16.1 meters

= 52.82 feet
= 17.61 yards
= 0.01 miles

I am happy to say that as far as I am concerned 1ml is equal to 0.01 miles

Conversion for Data Logger (imperial units)

1ml = 0.01 mile

1 mile = 100ml

Hope this help everyone out.

Regards

Scaff

Damn... you are a golden god. :lol:... nice work again, Scaff. :D

So a mil is... a milli-mile? :lol: :lol:

Moloch_horridus
It would actually be a centimile
:dunce: Just figured that out after I posted, but it doesn't sound as good. :dunce:

still, stupid me... :dopey:

RenesisEvo
A mile is something like 1603.2 metres... so there could be a tiny error in the calculations, but over 10k a small error will soon add up..

1 mile = 1.609344 kilometers

Back