Audi Auto Union v16 Type C Streamline '37

• Thread starter DrewCCU
  • 85 comments
Digital-Nitrate
Happy to, but I'll need some instructions... don't laugh, but I have yet to do any "photo" stuff in GT4.

Careful - you might become addicted to it... :D

Could you try out some of the other "undriveables"?

I'm thinking someone need's to buy the Auto Union, and also win the Auto Union and check if it's like the Ford GT (production model) situation with the one that you buy, and the prize one, both being the same car, but one not eligble for some races the other one is. It's too late for me to try, but if noone has done, I'll check myself tomorrow.

Greycap
It's a shame that we didn't get the normal V16 instead, it would have been the ultimate driving experience on Nürburgring. Tons of power, skinny tyres...

- R -

Yes, I was kinda expecting the classic Auto Union open wheel race car. I hesitate to say "F1" because I don't know if formula racing existed at the time.

The streamliner is interesting for about a lap at the Ring. Handles pretty good considering its age. But since you can only drive it at two tracks (an insight into GT4's programming?), it doesn't hold much interest in driving.

Win one, but don't buy one.

I know my GV300-won Streamliner doesn't work (old NTSC version), but at least it is a bona-fide Grand Prix car. The Streamliner did run in the 1937 German Grand Prix, driven by Bernd Rosemeyer. It was held at the high-speed Avus course, not the Nurburgring, if I remember correctly.

br-av37.jpg

The Eiffelrennen was the name for the GP race held at the 'Ring; some minor formulae races are run today at the "new" Nurburgring under the Eifelrennen title.

Of course, this was also the type of car used for the end-of year top speed run challenges between Mercedes-Benz and Auto Union. Mercedes threw down the gauntlet at Auto Union, and Bernd took ovewr with fastest speed honors. These dangerous high-speed runs, which were 265+ mph, were used on closed-off sections of the autobahn; in some cases, the traffic still flowed in the opposite direction!

In January 1938, Mercedes-Benz found a clear run, with Rudi Carraccola at the wheel. The combination was good for approximately 268 mph A few days later, Auto Union gave it a go. The first run wasn't quick enough, but it was a slightly windy day, and so the cars became very unstable when rushing out from under the many highway overpasses. It's quite possible that this instability caused the car to become uncontrollable even to a skilled driver like Rosemeyer.

It was a gust of crosswind that caused the car to somersault, like it says in the link posted by Scaff. I still take my hat off for the late Rosemeyer, he is said to have been driving at over 270 mph when the car got airborne. :scared:

- R -

Razzbar
But since you can only drive it at two tracks (an insight into GT4's programming?), it doesn't hold much interest in driving.
Not for everyone.

OK, I went a little crazy since I last posted and took my AUS for a tour through all its qualifying races (excluding all the Family Cup races of course), in three forms: Stock w/E (N1) tires, Stock (no changes), and Stock w/S4 Turbo Kit.

I didn't finish any of the longer races, but raced long enough to tell how competitve my car was against the selected AI cars for each race.

In stock form with those cruddy N1 tires, and no tuning adjustments the AUS still dominated more than half of the 32 races it can participate in. In stock form with its standard equipped R3 tires easily won all but 10 of the races. However those 10 remaining races was an entirely different story as the LM AI cars embarressed my AUS in stock form. Now with the S4 turbo kit added I was able to save face until the F1 AI cars ate my lunch!

Here are my initial findings:

1937 Audi Auto Union V16 Type C Streamline

A-Spec fpoints for 512HP E tires / 512HP RM tires (stock) / 757HP RM tires (+turbo S4)

_NA/_NA/__1 Race of Turbo Sports (SS tires were used instead of RSS tires which are not allowed in this race)
__1/_NA/_NA Sunday Cup
__1/_NA/_NA MR Challenge
__1/_NA/_NA Clubman Cup
__1/_NA/_NA Race of NA Sports
__1/_NA/_NA World Classic Car Series
__1/_NA/_NA Europe Classic Car League
__1/_NA/_NA Polyphony Digital Cup
__1/_NA/_NA Nurburgring 4hr Endurance
__1/_NA/_NA Motegi 8hr Endurance
__2/_NA/_NA Tsukuba 9hr Endurance
__8/__1/__1 Tuning Car Grand Prix
__8/_NA/_NA Pan Euro Championship
__9/_NA/_NA El Capitan 200 Miles
__9/_NA/_NA New York 200 Miles
_25/__2/__1 Laguna Seca 200 Miles
_39/__2/__1 Nurburgring 24hr Endurance
122/__6/__1 Dream Car Championship
127/__7/__1 Tokyo R246 300km
138/__7/__1 Suzuka 1000km
163/__9/__1 All Japan GT Championship
166/__9/__1 Grand Valley 300km
200/200/_28 Fuji 1000km
200/200/_43 Gran Turismo All Stars
200/200/_47 Super Speedway 150 Miles
200/200/_48 Circuit de la Sarthe 24hr I
200/200/_81 Gran Turismo World Championship
200/200/_97 Circuit de la Sarthe 24hr II
200/200/106 Infineon World Sports
200/200/108 Real Circuit Tours
200/200/178 Like the Wind
200/200/200 Formula GT World Championship

I'm thinking someone need's to buy the Auto Union, and also win the Auto Union and check if it's like the Ford GT (production model) situation with the one that you buy, and the prize one, both being the same car, but one not eligble for some races the other one is. It's too late for me to try, but if noone has done, I'll check myself tomorrow.

Has anyone verified or disproved this thought yet?

Holdenhsvgtsr
its not "too" bad in highspeed corners,but dont even bother with low speed tght corners :lol:

yeah try turning around at 5km/hr to go backwards on the course and you have to go:

1st gear, reverse, 1st gear, reverse, 1st gear, etc

like trying to turn my dad's ute in a small carpark

I personally like this car. I managed a time in the 7-minute range around the 'Ring, with the Stage 4 Turbo on (I think). It handles well, except for when you want to do a three-point turn. Not that you need to. I'm saying yes, I like it, even though no-one else does.

Greycap
It was a gust of crosswind that caused the car to somersault, like it says in the link posted by Scaff. I still take my hat off for the late Rosemeyer, he is said to have been driving at over 270 mph when the car got airborne.

They used to have maximum weight limits in those days, so they used to drill holes in the car where they could to lose weight, without compromising performance. So even though it was 1000kg, it was light enough to fly. Looks quite good though. Nice curves.

xjr-9

i won this car in gt4 havent driven it yet but from the sound of it this car sucks

Should I Leave It In My Garage?

CCF

Unfortunately I sold this car so I'm not sure what it's like...I sold it because it looked nasty :crazy:

You can always win it back! :)

i won this car in gt4 havent driven it yet but from the sound of it this car sucks

Should I Leave It In My Garage?

CCF

Try driving it, and after putting in a decent amount of effort if you determine that its crappy sell it.

Unfortunately, the AUS is a devil to handle, and IMO, not worth the money. And, depending on the version you have, cannot be raced in any races.

I drove the Auto Union a couple of times to see how fast it went and how it handled, I thought it was a fun car to try and drive, but I needed some money at the time, so I sold it. Maybe I should get it again, because I didn't attempt the Nurburgring with it...

I drove the Auto Union a couple of times to see how fast it went and how it handled, I thought it was a fun car to try and drive, but I needed some money at the time, so I sold it. Maybe I should get it again, because I didn't attempt the Nurburgring with it...

That is a good idea. It is a great car for the 'Ring as it did race there. It actually did a full couple of seasons if I remember correctly, and it was very very quick round corners as well as straights. Great car.

xjr-9

Running a few 'ring time trials I noticed my old time in the records with the Auto Union car and wondered how good it was. Browsing through this topic, it seems no-one so far has come close to my 7:01, which was run with a totally untouched, as-won car on R3 rubber.

I found this car an enormous challenge to drive and right now I'm gonna drag it back out and go for another spin. Does anyone have a time close to or better than this?

Oh, and btw Modik, you certainly can change the downforce settings on this car, at both ends.

Nice time OMGWTF! I'm no pro at the 'Ring, but I have driven the AUS there, and it is a hoot! I think my time was around 8 min. but that was before my game was corrupted, so now I have to get it again. I'll try and beat the 7'01 mark eventually...

Nice time OMGWTF! I'm no pro at the 'Ring, but I have driven the AUS there, and it is a hoot! I think my time was around 8 min. but that was before my game was corrupted, so now I have to get it again. I'll try and beat the 7'01 mark eventually...

LOL I thought you were saying OMGWTF at the speed :lol:

Latest Posts

Back