Info Guide / FAQ to GT-TV in GT5:Prologue / Demo

Digital-Nitrate

1955-2011 R.I.P.
Premium
United States
Austin, Texas
D-Nitrate / GTP_DNitrate
OK, so I have been doing some testing on download speeds, HDD space used, as well as other things about GT-TV. I'm not sure how much this may help others, or answer questions, but I've gone ahead and put my observations about this service and made this Guide/FAQ for those that may find it useful:

Where is the GT-TV menu?
  • It is the third icon from the left on the Main Menu. It looks like a TV. :)

How do I see what is available on GT-TV?
  • Just put the pointer on the GT-TV icon and press X.
  • There you will see thumbnails for each video that is currently available
    (max 10 per page, even when your PS3 is set to output in 480p - for those using SD displays, there is an additional option in the GT-TV menu, and that is the ability to zoom in on the thumbnails using the R1 button. This will make it easier to see the thumbnails which are considerably smaller and less detailed when displayed in 480p)

What does the "SD", "HD", "DL", and the Green Dot stand for?
  • "SD" = Standard Definition
  • "HD" = High Definition
  • "DL" = Available for download
  • Green Dot = Video is already downloaded and ready for viewing

How do I download a video?
  • Just put the pointer on the thumbnail of the video you want to download and press X.
  • You will get the standard (CANCEL)(__OK__) pop-up window, select OK (the one on the right)
  • Now you'll get a pop-up window telling you that it is in the process of saving the file to your HDD.
    • You'll also see a status bar that fills up the farther along the downloading gets.
    • When it is filled, the ring around the (__OK__) button will turn red.
  • Press X and it will take you back to the GT-TV menu and you'll now see a Green Dot below the thumbnail image of the video you just downloaded.
    (Unfortunately, there is no background downloading option, so you cannot queue up several videos and do something else while they are downloading... although this feature may very well be added for the actual game)

How long does it take to download a video on GT-TV?
  • Well that all depends on several things:
    • The size of the file. (see below)
    • The download speed of your Internet connection. (see below)
    • The traffic on your ISP.
    • The traffic on the network hosting the file.

How large are the videos?
  • That all depends on the following:
    • The resolution of the video.
    • The length of the video.
    • The amount of compression used. (bit rates)
  • So far, of the three videos that are currently available:
    • All are in SD.
    • One is 4 minutes long, the other two are 2 minutes long.
    • For SD resolution, they are not heavily compressed.
  • Thus, on average they are currently using about 22 MB of data per minute of video for the content currently available. The videos range in length between 2 to 4 minutes so the file sizes currently are between 44 and 88 MB.

How can I check my download speed of my Internet connection to my PS3?
  • There are several sites that can do that for you. I personally use SPEEDTEST.
    • If you are using the PS3's web browser to view this FAQ, just click on the link.
    • Otherwise log on to your PS3 and go to the Network menu on the XMB, select the browser, and manually put in the URL address, speedtest.com.
    • Now using the left control stick, move the pointer to the nearest, or recommended server (yellow pyramid), and press X.
    • It will then test both your download and upload times from your PS3, and display the results.
      • If you like, you can also copy an image of your results and share them with others. This can be helpful in diagnosing any problems with your internet service or even just comparing performance from those using different providers and or from different regions.
      • Interestingly, my PS3 gets better average download speeds than my laptop, but my laptop gets better average upload speeds than my PS3. (both are using the 802.11 b/g wi-fi standard and tested at the same location from the wireless router).

(Just remember, when testing speeds this only lets you know your current performance, and also does not take in account network traffic on the host servers.)

OK, so how long did it take you to download these files?
  • For me, it took only four minutes to download the "Best Motoring Trailer", and only two minutes each for the other two videos, "Autobac's: Super GT Climax Digest" and "D1 Grand Prix Series: Top of the Drifting World".
  • Based on their sizes, that means I'm downloading a little over 20 MB per minute, which is about the typical speed I get when downloading content off PlayStation Stores. Although when traffic is very high, it can take considerably longer.

Where are the videos stored on the PS3?
  • They are stored within the GT5:P game file.

How can you tell how large a video is before downloading it?
  • Unfortunately, currently there is no way to tell, other than from someone who has already downloaded it. In fact, the only way I know of finding out how large each video file is on GT-TV is to compare the file size of GT5:P Demo before and after downloading a video on GT-TV.

How do you check the file size of the GT5:P Demo?
  • As with any file (picture, song, video, or game), to check the file size do the following:
    • From the XMB, select (but don't press X) the specific file you are interested in.
    • Press the Triangle button to display the option menu on the right.
    • Select "Information" and press X.
    • Depending on what kind of file you are looking at, you'll see different information about it, including the file size.
    (The size of GT5:P Demo Version 1.00 without any additional content added, is 736 MB.)

Does the PS3 have to be connected to the internet to be able to watch the videos I have already downloaded?
  • Yes and No - I'll try and explain why:
    • First the "Yes" reason:
      In order to have access to the GT-TV menu or the GT-News menu you must be online. I'm not sure why this has to be the case, but I suspect it may be just an oversight based on the fact that when you try to go to either the GT-TV or GT-News menus, it first looks to see if there is anything "new". If you are not connected to the internet, then it can't do that, and in response it simply won't let you into the menu until you are connected.
    • OK, now for the "No" reason:
      As it turns out, if you enter the GT-TV menu while connected to the internet, and then disconnect from the internet (unplug either the Ethernet cable, or your router/modem), you will still remain in the GT-TV menu, and can play any video you have already downloaded.
    So the answer is yes and no. Considering that the reason for the "Yes" appears to be based on an oversight, this may get fixed by the time GT5:P is released.

How do I pause, stop, fast forward, and rewind the video I am playing?
  • Currently there is no way to fast forward or rewind (although I suspect this will be added in the future)
  • To pause, just press any key on the controller during playback, and a small window will appear giving you the choice to pause or stop the video. If you pause it, then the pause button turns into a play button.

How can I tell how far along I am when playing a video or how much time is remaining?
  • Unfortunately, other than keeping track of the time yourself, right now you cannot, but this is something I suspect will be added in the future.

What videos are currently available?
  • Currently only six videos are available:
    • Trailer: Best Motoring
      • 4-min, SD, 87 MB, Released on 07/10/21
    • D1 Grand Prix Series: Top of the Drifting World
      • 2-min, SD, 45 MB, Released on 07/10/21
    • Super GT Climax Digest: Autobac
      • 2-min, SD, 48 MB, Released on 07/10/21
    • GT-TV Special: Lancer Evolution X
      • 10-min, HD, 640 MB, Released on 07/10/24
    • GT-TV Special: Tokyo Motorshow 2007
      • 8-min, HD, 479 MB, Released on 07/10/25
    • GT-TV Special: Inside Story: The GT-R Legend
      • 11-min, HD, 644 MB, Released on 07/11/30
    (As new content is made available, I'll do my best to keep this list current.)

How do I know when new videos become available?
  • From the main menu in GT5:P demo, if there are any new videos available for download, you'll see a red box appear over part of the icon for GT-TV that says "NEW" in it.
    (the same thing happens when additional stories are added to the "News" menu.)
  • Once you click on the GT-TV icon, the new content will be displayed, and the "NEW" tag will go away.

If someone using another account on my PS3 downloads new content, will it be available for me to view when I log on as well?
  • Yes. Polyphony Digital obviously gave this some thought, so instead of downloading the video to a game save, which are independently managed by each user account, they set it up so the videos are stored on the game file, which all users share.

What if some other user on my PS3 looks at the new content in the GT-TV menu, will the "NEW" tag disappear for me as well when I play the game even though I have not yet seen the new content?
  • No. Again, PD clearly thought this out fairly well, and notification of new content is updated to each separate user account's game save.

OK, so in case I have downloaded some big video files off GT-TV and need to make room on my HDD, how can I delete a video that's been added to the game file?
  • Again, PD clearly understood this would likely be a problem for some, so they included an option in the GT-TV menu to delete any files you wish.
    (Unfortunately though, until there is a convenient way to know the file size of each video, you'll have to either keep track of the size of each file yourself, or rely on lists like the one included in this FAQ.)
  • To delete a video from your GT-TV menu, do the following:
    • In the GT-TV menu, select (but don't press X), a video you want to delete from your game, then press the Triangle button.
    • You will now see the standard (CANCEL)(__OK__) pop-up window, select OK (the one on the right).
    • That video will then be deleted off the game file.
    (Just keep in mind, because videos are shared by all user accounts on the same PS3, when you delete a video, it deletes it for everyone.)

UPDATE: New GT-TV Content

Free Downloadable Demo - “First Impression Lancer Evolution X” Program
added Oct 24, 2007
Distribution of the free original program “Gran Turismo TV Special First Impression Lancer Evolution X” has begun on “Gran Turismo TV” in the “Gran Turismo 5 Prologue” Free Downloadable Demo.

This is special content that thoroughly examines the development of the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X, which is also included in “Gran Turismo 5 Prologue” Free Downloadable Demo, from the vehicle’s development stages. Feel free to download and enjoy this program.

Free Downloadable Demo – “Tokyo Motor Show 2007” Program
added Oct 25, 2007
Distribution of the free original program “Gran Turismo TV Special Tokyo Motor Show 2007” has begun in “Gran Turismo TV” in “Gran Turismo 5 Prologue” Free Downloadable Demo.

This special content is a collection of highlights captured live at the 40th Tokyo Motor Show. Feel free to download and enjoy this program.

UPDATE: Classic Top Gear Episodes Coming to GT-TV

Top Gear on GT5
Posted Oct 24, 2007
Our inbox will be relieved at least. Not a day goes by without somebody firing us a note saying either they - or their amazing old Capri - can lap the TG test track faster than Stig. Next year, on Playstation 3, you'll be able to find out.

Top Gear has hooked up with Sony to make our iconic test track part of Gran Turismo 5. And as an office with the permanent distraction of a Playstation 2, race seat, force-feedback wheel and a copy of the current GT4, it's the best news we've had since Alonso missed out on the F1 championship.

The latest iteration of the GT series will also be fully online - and, alongside lapping the TG circuit, players will be able to download classic episodes of Top Gear via a dedicated motoring channel called Gran Turismo TV on the Playstation network.

So, how long do we have to wait? As with previous versions of the game a scaled-down prologue will come first with around 10 tracks and 60 cars. This will feature the Top Gear TV content but not the TG track. There's no official word on when this is due, but we're expecting it to hit the UK around Spring next year.

The full version of the game is due to arrive around Christmas 2008 and, again, details are yet to be confirmed. We have been told to expect around 900 cars and, of course, our track.

We'll obviously keep you posted on the development of the game, but in the meantime check out our guide to the TG track to find out exactly what you'll be letting yourself in for.

GTTV_TG_01.jpg

gran-turismo-tv-1-1.jpg
gran-turismo-tv-2-1.jpg

gran-turismo-tv-3-1.jpg
gran-turismo-tv-5-1.jpg

gran-turismo-tv-6-1.jpg
gran-turismo-tv-7-1.jpg

gran-turismo-tv-8-1.jpg
gran-turismo-tv-9-1.jpg

gran-turismo-tv-10-1.jpg
gran-turismo-tv-11-1.jpg

Free Downloadable Demo – “Inside Story: The GT-R Legend” Program
added Nov 11, 2007
[Available for Download]
November 30, 2007 (Friday) around noon to December 6 (Thursday) at 2:00 pm

[Length]
About 11 minutes

[Content of the program]
On October 24th at the Tokyo Motor Show, finally emerged NISSAN GT-R. This world attention to a new car's Gran Turismo, but other media ahead visualization!

Circuit development scene and the Gran Turismo series producer Kazunori Yamauchi test drive, as well as the holy places in the travel landscape full of Nürburgring. Japan is proud supercar all with a beautiful full HD introduced. "The GT-R Legend" series trilogy memorable first movie!

This program is "THE GT-R Legend" series trilogy's first part. The second part, the third part of the December 13th launch of the production version of the Gran Turismo 5 prologue, on the following contents of our future. Please stay tuned.

Part 2:
  • Kazunori Yamauchi autobahn impression.
  • Development driver Toshio Suzuki, who traveled by Nürburgring North Course.

Part 3:
  • Kazunori Yamauchi autobahn speed unlimited area full attack.
  • Kazunori Yamauchi GT-R & Development Officer Mizuno Satoshi Kazu Talk session.
  • Kazunori Yamauchi NYURU BURUKURINKU North Course CPM.

[Notes]
The Gran Turismo 5 prologue free trial version of the software itself, the delivery is November 30 (Friday). An overview of how software is downloaded and please refer to the following.

The free trial version on the "Gran Turismo TV" feature is the limited period. Dec. 6 (Thursday) at 2:00 pm or later, the Dow preloaded program even if the free demo on the play no longer. The production version of the Gran Turismo 5 prologue, enjoyed please.

Breaking GT-TV news as reported on by amar212 in his Top Gear Test Track in Gran Turismo 5! thread:

BBC has struck a deal with Sony to make available episodes of Top Gear on GT-TV some time in 2008. 👍

Also, while they only mention GT5, because GT5:P and even the demo have and will have GT-TV service, I can't imagine why they won't also make these shows available for Prologue. 👍

Now I doubt they will be new episodes, or at least not made available the same week they are broadcasted by the BBC, but even so, this is going to be a big plus for the millions of car enthusiasts around the world who have not been able to watch Top Gear episodes without having to find them on bit torrent sites.

This news really makes me excited about what is really possible with this GT-TV service. 👍

Also, while they only mention GT5, because GT5:P and even the demo have and will have GT-TV service, I can't imagine why they won't also make these shows available for Prologue. 👍
You must not have read the Top Gear story completely:
From http://www.topgear.com/content/news/stories/2368/

October 24, 2007
Top Gear on GT5
Our inbox will be relieved at least. Not a day goes by without somebody firing us a note saying either they - or their amazing old Capri - can lap the TG test track faster than Stig. Next year, on Playstation 3, you'll be able to find out.

Top Gear has hooked up with Sony to make our iconic test track part of Gran Turismo 5. And as an office with the permanent distraction of a Playstation 2, race seat, force-feedback wheel and a copy of the current GT4, it's the best news we've had since Alonso missed out on the F1 championship.

The latest iteration of the GT series will also be fully online - and, alongside lapping the TG circuit, players will be able to download classic episodes of Top Gear via a dedicated motoring channel called Gran Turismo TV on the Playstation network.

So, how long do we have to wait? As with previous versions of the game a scaled-down prologue will come first with around 10 tracks and 60 cars. This will feature the Top Gear TV content but not the TG track. There's no official word on when this is due, but we're expecting it to hit the UK around Spring next year.

The full version of the game is due to arrive around Christmas 2008 and, again, details are yet to be confirmed. We have been told to expect around 900 cars and, of course, our track.

We'll obviously keep you posted on the development of the game, but in the meantime check out our guide to the TG track to find out exactly what you'll be letting yourself in for.
Yes, Prologue will contain Top Gear videos in GT TV.

Great news! Although "classic episodes", while expected, puts somewhat of a damper on it. Still, it will be fun to have high quality videos of favorite TG episodes. 👍

Now I wonder if part of the deal is that Top Gear will only give Sony the rights to distribute the shows on GT-TV as long as they don't distribute Fifth Gear episodes. :D

Great news! Although "classic episodes", while expected, puts somewhat of a damper on it. Still, it will be fun to have high quality videos of favorite TG episodes. 👍
This may be a necessity to keep it free. By running episodes that won't directly compete with the current show or even slightly older episodes airing in other countries the BBC won't be out any money and can expect those who want new episodes to find a way to tune in more regularly.

Basically, they are advertising new episodes by airing classic episodes. God knows if I start watching these enough to make me want to see new episodes it will give me two stations (BBC-A for this, the other being Speed) to justify an upgrade to digital cable.

God knows if I start watching these enough to make me want to see new episodes it will give me two stations (BBC-A for this, the other being Speed) to justify an upgrade to digital cable.
I watch TG on BBC-A, but unfortunately, they are running seven episodes behind the BBC. Still, better than dealing with internet videos and downloads.

Also BBC-A has free VOD (video on demand) with a large collection of TG episodes available to watch anytime you like... assuming your cable/satellite service provides it.

I watch TG on BBC-A, but unfortunately, they are running seven episodes behind the BBC. Still, better than dealing with internet videos and downloads.

Also BBC-A has free VOD (video on demand) with a large collection of TG episodes available to watch anytime you like... assuming your cable/satellite service provides it.
La la la, my wife says $13 a month means I can't hear you, la la la.

200021811-001.jpg

And yes, they do offer On-Demand.

La la la, my wife says $13 a month means I can't hear you, la la la.
:lol:

(I know the feeling; fortunately I married a very understanding wife who just rolls her eyes at me with most every new piece of electronics and video entertainment I purchase.) :D

EDIT UPDATE: New GT-TV Content

Free Downloadable Demo - “First Impression Lancer Evolution X” Program
added Oct 24, 2007
Distribution of the free original program “Gran Turismo TV Special First Impression Lancer Evolution X” has begun on “Gran Turismo TV” in the “Gran Turismo 5 Prologue” Free Downloadable Demo.

This is special content that thoroughly examines the development of the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X, which is also included in “Gran Turismo 5 Prologue” Free Downloadable Demo, from the vehicle’s development stages. Feel free to download and enjoy this program.

:lol:

(I know the feeling; fortunately I married a very understanding wife who just rolls her eyes at me with most every new piece of electronics and video entertainment I purchase.) :D
I mentioned a PSP the other day to my dad while my wife was talking to my sister-in-law and without missing a beat she spun and said, "NO MORE VIDEO GAMES!"
:guilty:

Do we have a files size or anything?

Which that makes me wonder, could PD make it so that it can DL in the background while you play and then install the video to the game file? I'd much rather wait 30 seconds while it installs than as much as an hour while it downloads.

Do we have a files size or anything?
640 MB, nearly 15 times larger than the Autobac's video (thanks to being in HD, and very nice quality HD I might add), and being five times longer, with a 10-min running time.

This really does put in perspective though just how small yet efficient the GT5:P demo is, as the total size of the demo uses just about the same amount of data as that one 10-min long video! :eek:

The good news with this video is, at least for me it downloaded at a much higher kbps rate even though when I tested my download speed on the PS3, it was nearly the same as yesterday (as seen in post #1), here is the speed results right after downloading this new GT-TV video:

195614026.png

Even though my connection is to my server is the same, clearly Sony's was boosted, as before it was downloading a little over 20 MB per minute (which is still plenty fast), thus the other video took only a couple minutes each. This time it was downloading twice that at over 40 MB per minute, thus it took only 15 minutes to download. 👍

Which that makes me wonder, could PD make it so that it can DL in the background while you play and then install the video to the game file? I'd much rather wait 30 seconds while it installs than as much as an hour while it downloads.
I quite agreed. :)

How do I download a video?
  • Just put the pointer on the thumbnail of the video you want to download and press X.
  • You will get the standard (CANCEL)(__OK__) pop-up window, select OK (the one on the right)
  • Now you'll get a pop-up window telling you that it is in the process of saving the file to your HDD.
    • You'll also see a status bar that fills up the farther along the downloading gets.
    • When it is filled, the ring around the (__OK__) button will turn red.
  • Press X and it will take you back to the GT-TV menu and you'll now see a Green Dot below the thumbnail image of the video you just downloaded.
    (Unfortunately, there is no background downloading option, so you cannot queue up several videos and do something else while they are downloading... although this feature may very well be added for the actual game)

Even though my connection is to my server is the same, clearly Sony's was boosted, as before it was downloading a little over 20 MB per minute (which is still plenty fast), thus the other video took only a couple minutes each. This time it was downloading twice that at over 40 MB per minute, thus it took only 15 minutes to download. 👍
Maybe they realized that way too many people from outside Japan were using the demo and either upped the speed or added servers in other regions.

My biggest speed problem with this and PSN downloads is that when I am home to download is when everyone in America is home to download, so traffic is high. One time I didn't setup the PS Store to download new stuff until almost 2:00 AM on a Friday night/Saturday morning and things went much faster. So, without a background download option I may need to wait until low traffic times to download videos.

any way to watch them without being connected to the net???
Great question (which I'll add to the FAQs), and the answer is yes and no - I'll try and explain why.

First the "No" reason:

In order to have access to the GT-TV menu or the GT-News menu you must be online. I'm not sure why this has to be the case, but I suspect it may be just an oversight based on the fact that when you try to go to either the GT-TV or GT-News menus, it first looks to see if there is anything "new". If you are not connected to the internet, then it can't do that, and in response it simply won't let you into the menu until you are connected.

OK, now for the "Yes" reason:

As it turns out, if you enter the GT-TV menu while connected to the internet, and then disconnect from the internet (unplug either the Ethernet cable, or your router/modem), you will still remain in the GT-TV menu, and can play any video you have already downloaded.

So the answer is yes and no. Considering that the reason for the "No" appears to be based on an oversight, this may get fixed by the time GT5:P is released.

Free Downloadable Demo – “Tokyo Motor Show 2007” Program
added Oct 25, 2007
Distribution of the free original program “Gran Turismo TV Special Tokyo Motor Show 2007” has begun in “Gran Turismo TV” in “Gran Turismo 5 Prologue” Free Downloadable Demo.

This special content is a collection of highlights captured live at the 40th Tokyo Motor Show. Feel free to download and enjoy this program.

The the video is 8 minutes long in HD and the file is 479 MB. For me, it only took 10 minutes to download (close to 50 MB per minute, which is the fastest rate I have gotten for GT-TV content so far). 👍

As for the video itself, it is a very nice, but all to brief look at some of the highlights from the show... including the new $1.5 million dollar Lamborghini Reventón. Although the car that really caught my eye was the Lexus LF-A concept car.

This is my 1st post using my PS3! Here is a picture I made of my download speed.

Attachments

• 195821436.png
    195821436.png
    5.5 KB · Views: 27
Thank's for the response D-N. That really suck's, i hope they release an update for the demo, as i don't have a computer(i use my grandparents most of the time, and for all my PS3 and 360 downloading):(

Thank's for the response D-N. That really suck's, i hope they release an update for the demo, as i don't have a computer(i use my grandparents most of the time, and for all my PS3 and 360 downloading):(
How did you download the demo without having your PS3 connected to the internet? Or maybe when you said you use "your grandparent's" you were reffering to their internet connection, not their computer and that you have to take your PS3 and 360 to your grandparent’s house and use their internet connection each time you want to download games and content.

If that is the case, yeah, I can definitely understand your frustration.

yea that's what i meant, and yea it is REALLY frustrating. Got my mate round to my place to watch the best motoring stuff and when he got here we couldn't watch it. Anyway i'll stop hijacking your thread lol.

OK, so I set up my Evolution X video to download at 11:30pm last night as I was heading to bed. I woke up at 3:30am and decided to check the status and it was about 80% finished. So, well over 4 hours for me.

If they don't have a way to speed things up or something GT-TV may be a fairly useless thing for me as I will have to pick and choose my videos.

Sony, PD, someone who can make a suggestion and may happen by here: Background Downloading, please. The wait isn't nearly as noticeable if I can play my game at the same time.

UPDATE!!!!

Tomorrow a new GT TV item goes online.

"THE INSIDE STORY GT-R Legend I" will be available until the 6th of December (it's a hefty 11 minutes long).

http://www.gran-turismo.com/jp/news/d1466.html

Unlike the other GT-TV content, there is currently no article posted in the English GT5:P website, only on the Japanese GT5:P website.

Using Google to translate, this is basically what I got from it:

Free Downloadable Demo – “Inside Story: The GT-R Legend” Program
added Nov 11, 2007
[Available for Download]
November 30, 2007 (Friday) around noon to December 6 (Thursday) at 2:00 pm

[Length]
About 11 minutes

[Content of the program]
On October 24th at the Tokyo Motor Show, finally emerged NISSAN GT-R. This world attention to a new car's Gran Turismo, but other media ahead visualization!

Circuit development scene and the Gran Turismo series producer Kazunori Yamauchi test drive, as well as the holy places in the travel landscape full of Nürburgring. Japan is proud supercar all with a beautiful full HD introduced. "The GT-R Legend" series trilogy memorable first movie!

This program is "THE GT-R Legend" series trilogy's first part. The second part, the third part of the December 13th launch of the production version of the Gran Turismo 5 prologue, on the following contents of our future. Please stay tuned.

Part 2:
  • Kazunori Yamauchi autobahn impression.
  • Development driver Toshio Suzuki, who traveled by Nürburgring North Course.

Part 3:
  • Kazunori Yamauchi autobahn speed unlimited area full attack.
  • Kazunori Yamauchi GT-R & Development Officer Mizuno Satoshi Kazu Talk session.
  • Kazunori Yamauchi NYURU BURUKURINKU North Course CPM.

[Notes]
The Gran Turismo 5 prologue free trial version of the software itself, the delivery is November 30 (Friday). An overview of how software is downloaded and please refer to the following.

The free trial version on the "Gran Turismo TV" feature is the limited period. Dec. 6 (Thursday) at 2:00 pm or later, the Dow preloaded program even if the free demo on the play no longer. The production version of the Gran Turismo 5 prologue, enjoyed please.

It sounds like the GT-TV feature in the demo is just a trial version and will end next week on December 6. It's not clear if the content that we have already downloaded will also be removed, or won't be able to be played... then again; translating Japanese to English is a rather dicey endeavor, even for Google. :)

This article also confirms the December 13th launch date of GT5:P in Japan. 👍

As for the video itself; it took me just under 40 minutes to download the 644 MB file, so about 17 MB per minute or 2260 kb/s which is about half the normal download speed I get from PSN stores, and about 1/3 my current average download speed from my ISP to my PS3 using the Wi-Fi adapter, but still quite reasonable.

207505396.png

The video is excellent HD quality with some really nice exclusive footage of the GT-R in action at the Nürburgring as well as some nice shots of the under carriage, engine bay, and interiors.

When I get the chance I'll try and update the first post, but in the mean time I thought I might share some info I have on the videos currently available in GTTV for the US (BD) Edition

First of all, so far I believe there are only five videos currently available... at least that's what I have.

• Gran Turismo 5 Prologue OPENING
    • 3min, HD, 300 MB, Released on 4/15/2008
  • Gran Turismo Beyond the Apex
    • 19min, HD, ?MB, Released on 4/15/2008
  • Gran Turismo TV Special LANCER EVOLUTION X
    • 11min, HD, 580MB, Released on 4/15/2008 (must download)
  • GT-TV Special: THE GT-R Legend INSIDE STORY I
    • 11min, HD, 590MB, Released on 4/15/2008
  • Gran Turismo 5 Prologue ENDING
    • 6min, HD, 380MB, Released on 4/15/2008 (unlocked during gameplay)
Part of the 80MB update for GT5P was to determine if you are in Canada or the US, so for those that for some reason did not run the update (like those without any internet connection) you will see that you have two versions of "Beyond the Apex", one with French subtitles, one without.

BTW: For those that are not interested in any of the videos, or keeping them on your HDD, you can erase all but the "Beyond the Apex" video, thus leaving more room on your HDD for other stuff if needed. I suspect the reason you can't delete "Beyond the Apex" is that it's been installed from the disc, and thus no way to download it without having to delete GT5P from your HDD and reinstall it... but I'm only guessing here.

In fact, I thought maybe it can't be deleted because it isn't ever installed on the HDD, but rather plays directly off the BD... but if that were the case, how does one explain the huge difference is file sizes between the downloaded version of GT5P (1.78GB) versus the BD version (5.27 GB - pre update)???

One nice thing though is you can always download the videos you erased later down the road if need be... assuming they are always made available online through GTTV.

First of all, so far I believe there are only five videos currently available... at least that's what I have.
That's what I have.

In fact, I thought maybe it can't be deleted because it isn't ever installed on the HDD, but rather plays directly off the BD... but if that were the case, how does one explain the huge difference is file sizes between the downloaded version of GT5P (1.78GB) versus the BD version (5.27 GB - pre update)???
Doing my math, all the videos included on the BD added to the raw game files of the download still leaves over 2GB.

Now, I am using an SDTV so I can't tell the difference, but is Beyond the Apex a noticeably higher quality video than the others? That is the only way I can see Beyond the Apex taking up that much space. Because if it is the same quality then the math says it should be less than 1GB.

Of course, the pure fact that the download can only be played on one account tells me there are other differences in the BD copy, so there is probably more there than we realize. Still, a 1-2GB discrepancy is a lot. Like a full demo game lot. I have full PSN games that are smaller.

Welcome back

Has anyone noticed that PD 'may charge' for future GT:TV content?

When you highlight a video, you get something like this:

13 minutes/768mb/free

Its obvious what the first two are, but what does the 'free' mean? I'm assuming that it means that it is 'free of charge'. Is that correct?

Has anyone noticed that PD 'may charge' for future GT:TV content?

When you highlight a video, you get something like this:

13 minutes/768mb/free

Its obvious what the first two are, but what does the 'free' mean? I'm assuming that it means that it is 'free of charge'. Is that correct?

I noticed that too. And I know when GTTV was first announced there was talk on the boards of pricing. As Yamauchi talked about putting real world race coverage on GT TV I think they would almost have to charge for that as it would otherwise affect channels like Speed and ESPN. But if I can watch races without commercials for cheaper than buying the DVDs ($70 for Petite LeMans) I will definitely consider it.

And if a small charge allows me to see races I don't have access to at all then I will definitely be up for that.

But what price I am willing to pay is still up in the air until I see the content.

I noticed that too. And I know when GTTV was first announced there was talk on the boards of pricing. As Yamauchi talked about putting real world race coverage on GT TV I think they would almost have to charge for that as it would otherwise affect channels like Speed and ESPN. But if I can watch races without commercials for cheaper than buying the DVDs ($70 for Petite LeMans) I will definitely consider it.

And if a small charge allows me to see races I don't have access to at all then I will definitely be up for that.

But what price I am willing to pay is still up in the air until I see the content.

I don't mind paying if the price is right, and the content is good. What I don't want is for GT TV to turn into a propaganda device for the motor industry.

We've already had two documentaries on two brand new cars, are we going to see more? I will pay for racing action, but not the stuff I've seen so far. 👍

I don't mind paying if the price is right, and the content is good. What I don't want is for GT TV to turn into a propaganda device for the motor industry.

We've already had two documentaries on two brand new cars, are we going to see more? I will pay for racing action, but not the stuff I've seen so far. 👍
Actually, I would assume these 10-30 minute ads are what is paying for GT TV right now. I just think that TV shows and races would have to have a charge or be severly delayed in order for PD to secure the rights to show them. I know plenty of people who would rather watch a live race with commercials on ESPN than pay an extra $5-$10 to watch it even one day later.

Back