GTP WTAC Week 24 : Datsun 510 - "The Poor Man's BMW"

• Thread starter Detroitbb
  • 47 comments
GTP WTAC Week 24 : Datsun 510 - "The Poor Man's BMW"

*** The Datsun 510 was given it's exterior styling by an in-house Nissan designer named Teruo Uchino. It was directed by the Japanese bosses to be as unoffensive as possible so as to appeal to a larger market - namely, the United States. The president of Nissan USA was a man by the name of Yutaka Katayama. He was the main figure in pushing the company heads in the Japanese home office to not only build the 510, but to make it more than just an economy car. Mr. Katayama had been a former racer himself and he wanted the car to have a bit of performance - he envisioned entering the Datsun 510 in both rally and road races. He wanted a car that could rival the BMW 1600 but for considerably less money (the 510 debuted in the US for $1996). Even though the exterior styling was a bit 'tame', the Prince built 1.6 liter motor was solid and quite peppy. In addition, it featured a fully independent suspension and a unibody that was light in terms of weight. Mr. Katayama knew that he was attempting to sell this vehicle at the height of the American muscle car era, so he wisely dropped the 'Bluebird' name in favor of the more appropriate 'Datsun 510' (it was called the 'Datsun 1600' in Canada/Austrailia). In auto enthusiast circles, this car became known as "The Poor Man's BMW". An interesting side note: the late actor/director, Paul Newman, first learned and began his racing career in a Datsun 510. ***

1. Track : Ice Arena (reverse) & Suzuka Circuit East Course

picture.php

picture.php

2. Cars : Nissan Bluebird 1600 Deluxe '69 & Nissan Bluebird Rally Car '69

bluebirddeluxe1.jpg
l
bluebirdrallycar1.jpg

IMPORTANT ! This is a combined times challenge: you'll need to run both cars; rankings will be made based on your combined times.

----------------

3. Cars specifics:

- Transmission: either
- Tires: S2 / S2
- TCS : at your disposal
- ASM : off
- Active Steering : off
- Driving Physics : Professional

All in-game quick-tune options are at your disposal (Press Triangle when selecting your car to add the car to your favorites and tinker with any available settings).

Hybrid cars, the use of CFW tuning or any other way of cheating (such as the Action Replay for PSP) is forbidden...

--------------------

4. Duration of the challenges : this challenge will start Monday Oct. 25th 4:00 pm GMT+2 and will end Monday Nov. 1st 3:59 pm GMT+2 (one week !)

--------------------

5. Time submission :

You'll have to post your Ghost Replay Data + Photo before Monday Nov. 1st 3:59 pm GMT+2. If you miss the deadline, your laptimes won't be in the website.

--------------------

6. Rules :

You'll have to follow the Host and Compete in a GT Planet Time Attack Challenge (GTPTAC) You'll have to follow the Host and Compete in a GT Planet Time Attack Challenge (GTPTAC) ! Just to remind you :
Clean or Dirty lap :
- Colliding with or using walls, fences, cones or other obstacle is forbidden. All times submitted must be 100% wall free.
- NO SPARKS!

--------------------

7. LeaderBoards

The leaderboards will be on the website

-------------------

8. Current session points leaders:

Place - Competitor - Points

1st #l-llLion-Face###ll40
2nd #-l Detroitbb ###l29
3rd #l-llSylar######.l22##.ll(tied for 3rd)
3rd #l- lDan360#####22#
small_up_arrow.gif
#(tied for 3rd)
5th #l-l easyasashii##l21
6th #l- lsausages ##l;l11##.ll(tied for 6th)
6th #l-l red ice#####l11#
small_up_arrow.gif
#(tied for 6th)
8th #l-l PiTch_#####.ll7
9th #l-l Fuchur#####.ll3#
small_down_arrow.gif

10th .-l rpr101#####.lll2#
small_down_arrow.gif

Last edited:
track? Tahiti maze?

EDIT: I noticed the photos in SNOW probably, Chamonix Forward

Last edited:
I dont think it's Chamonix, since we will run on dirt tires, Although the pictures were taken at Chamonix. My guess is Swiss Alps Reverse.

Actually, I just found a picture of the 510 that happened to be in a snowy setting - the track still hasn't been selected yet.

I should have put SNOW/DIRT so people don't start assuming one or the other!

💡

I should also mention that Yutaka Katayama (president of NISSAN USA) pushed very hard for the sports sedan for the US market. He is also the man solely responsible for getting a sports car designed for the US (all at the same time in the late 60's). That was the beginning of the now infamous 'Z' cars (which, oddly enough, participated in both road and rally races). I had long ago made plans for a 'Z' challenge, but could never settle on which models to include. Maybe one day I'll make the tough choice and we'll finally get the chance to see it come to fruition!

Tracks have been revealed! I wanted to note that we'll be using S2 tires on Suzuka Circuit East and we'll be running both cars on both tracks. The stock 510 will feel solid and secure on both courses, but the rally-tuned version will be a bit more of a challenge - it was designed to be easy for the driver to throw the rear end around in rally events. For people who are accomplished drifters/rally racers, this will be easy. For people like me who stink at that, this portion of the challenge will be a bit harder. Good luck everybody!

Hmmm. Submission will be 4 laptimes. 2 for the Suzuka and 2 for Ice Arena. This week will be pretty busy. :)

So, front tyres will be S2, and SNOWs on it's rear? ;) I understand what you are meant to write down. :)

Yeah, you're right... it does look goofy. I guess since the game automatically puts the snow tires on when choosing a winter rally event, I don't need to list that tire choice. I'll just put 'S2/S2' so as not to further confuse anyone!

Last edited:
Hmmm. Submission will be 4 laptimes. 2 for the Suzuka and 2 for Ice Arena. This week will be pretty busy. :)

A little bit busy, I think. Both are pretty short tracks and the cars aren't too high-powered. That combo should keep lap times somewhat close together (both between the individual cars and us as racers/competitors).

Initial time with the stock 510 @ Ice Arena with steer problem

1'05.xxx

hoping to improve at least 1 second faster

Just a half hour session with both cars at Ice Arena, and I have a time to aim for:
Rally - 1'01.689
Stock - 1'03.819
Suzuka was interesting with the Rally car, since the back end kicks out, even with sports tires (Default tires are R1).

- Colliding with or using walls, fences, cones or other obstacle is forbidden. All times submitted must be 100% wall free.
- NO SPARKS!

Is it just me or I don't see any sparks in Ice Arena no matter how hard I make contact with the "invisible boundaries of the track"??
Grand Canyon shows sparks but Snow Tracks just won't indicate it at all. Though, the Crashing Sound indicates collision. Is this legal or illegal???

(Default tires are R1).

The Bluebird rally car defaulted to N1 tires for me (which I found very odd)! The stock 510 defaulted to S3's on my PSP.

Maybe I just read it wrong! I've been known to do that! Either way, we're all going to have to be careful when switching from Ice Arena to Suzuka so as not to run on the incorrect tires.

- NO SPARKS!

Is it just me or I don't see any sparks in Ice Arena no matter how hard I make contact with the "invisible boundaries of the track"??
Grand Canyon shows sparks but Snow Tracks just won't indicate it at all. Though, the Crashing Sound indicates collision. Is this legal or illegal???

Yeah, I noticed that when I did a few laps last night. I'm going to allow us to use the whole track - within reason: Someone 'wall-riding' would be disqualified, but someone who occasionally just rides up the embankment would be OK.

To try and clarify... if you don't slow down and brake to take a turn normally and just go to the outside edge - at full speed - and ride the outside bank/wall all the way around, then that would be grounds for disqualification. If we accidentally cut an inside turn a bit too tight and the front end of the car rides up a bit on the bank - or if you're sliding too far to the outside edge after a turn and the rear/side of your car slides up the embankment - then both those instances would be OK. We all pretty much know what isn't in the honest spirit of racing (such as riding a wall all the way around so you don't have to slow down). Common sense driving applies.

I don't think we'll have any problems in this regard for this challenge. Besides, I'm not even sure that 'cheating' (aka 'wall-riding') would be faster than just running a clean lap!

This applies to Ice Arena only. But I don't think there is anyplace to 'wall-ride' at Suzuka (maybe near the pits?), so the normal rules would still apply for Suzuka Circuit.

👍

This applies to Ice Arena only. But I don't think there is anyplace to 'wall-ride' at Suzuka (maybe near the pits?), so the normal rules would still apply for Suzuka Circuit.

👍

Thanks! :)
currently at Ice Arena, single races and drift trial runs. trying A few tricks as Dan360 already set the bar @ 1'01.xxx.

nissanbluebirdrcsnow1.jpg
l
img0004tpi.jpg

img0006uk.jpg
l
nissanbluebirdrcsnow2.jpg

*I want to thank Dan360 for the amazing Bluebird rally car photos! All pictures of that car this week will be courtesy of him (as I really had no hope of obtaining that vehicle in GT4). Thank you, Dan!

:)

Did some running with both cars on each track best times were

Suzuka Circuit East Course
Nissan Bluebird 1600 Deluxe '69 - 1'07.094
Nissan Bluebird Rally Car '69 - 1'03.775

Ice Arena (reverse)
Nissan Bluebird 1600 Deluxe '69 - 1'03.482
Nissan Bluebird Rally Car '69 - 1'01.379

Did some running with only one of the cars on each track, best times were

Nissan Bluebird 1600 Deluxe '69 - 1'06.904

Ice Arena (reverse)
Nissan Bluebird 1600 Deluxe '69 - 1'04.758

---------

And here are the stats !

it goes like that : times that made podium /times submitted. %
(1st x--/ 2nd x--/ 3rd x--)

WTACers :

Lion-Face
41/42 - 97.62% (Audi Quattro '82, Beginner course - Forward, 4th...)
(1st x 32 / 2nd x 6 / 3rd x 3 )

PiTch_
25/25 - 100%
(1st x 15 / 2nd x 9 / 3rd x 1 )

easyasashii
44/66 - 66.66%
(1st x 9 / 2nd x 27 / 3rd x 8 )

Sylar
14/25 - 56%
(1st x 3 / 2nd x 6 / 3rd x 5)

Detroitbb
35/72 - 48.61%
(1st x 4 / 2nd x 13 / 3rd x 18 )

sausages
3/7 - 42.85%
(1st x 1 / 2nd x 0 / 3rd x 2 )

Dan360
6/15 - 40%
(1st x 1 / 2nd x 0 / 3rd x 5 )

Fuchur
9/23 - 39.13%
(1st x 4 / 2nd x 3 / 3rd x 2 )

rpr101
3/15 - 20%
(1st x 2 / 2nd x 1 / 3rd x 0 )

red ice
2/17 11.76%
(1st x 0 / 2nd x 1 / 3rd x 1 )

----------------

Top 3 most regular drivers -fanatics ???;)- :
- Detroitbb : 72 times submitted :bowdown:
- easyasashii : 66 :D
- Lion-Face : 42 👍

----------------

Most 1st Place : Lion-Face 32 (/41 podium)

Most 2nd Place : easyasashii 27 (/44 podium)

Most 3rd Place : Detroitbb 18 (/35 podium)

----------------

Nota Bene : the more you practice and run, the faster you get !!! These statistics showed what happened BUT don't show what your real potential is !!! Don't give up and push your limits !!!

:gtpflag:

----------------

And please, never forget these Great TACers :bowdown:

Glubags (excellent driver, winner of many TAC seasons and TAC season host)
27/27 - 100%
(1st x 14 / 2nd x 11 / 3rd x 2 )

Genesisfury
9/9 - 100%
(1st x 3 / 2nd x 2 / 3rd x 4 )

Slatz
8/8 - 100%
(1st x 3 / 2nd x 4 / 3rd x 1 )

Yavy92
5/6 - 83.33 %
(1st x 5 / 2nd x 0 / 3rd x 0 )

Shigegaki (TAC father !!! :bowdown:)
7/18 - 38.88%
(1st x 1 / 2nd x 1 / 3rd x 5 )

--------------

Good luck ! The website will be availlable tomorrow ;) !

:cheers: WTACers :cheers:

:gtpflag:

PS : once the website is availlable, please check if I made any mistake ;) !

The Bluebird rally car defaulted to N1 tires for me (which I found very odd)! The stock 510 defaulted to S3's on my PSP.

Maybe I just read it wrong! I've been known to do that! Either way, we're all going to have to be careful when switching from Ice Arena to Suzuka so as not to run on the incorrect tires.

Scratch that. I was mistaken... the Bluebird Rally Car does indeed default to what Dan said they did - R1 tires. And the stock Bluebird is the one that defaults to N1s.

I get the 'dunce cap' yet again!

:dunce:

Easy - I love stats, so your listings are very interesting to me! Thanks for calculating and posting those!

👍

My times from last night...

@ Suzuka -

Stock: 1'07.458

Rally: 1'03.662

@ Ice Arena -

Stock: 1'04.010

Rally: 1'02.338

I seem to be having the most trouble with the rally car at the rally track!

:ouch:

Thank you, Dan!

:)
I'd like to thank you too, for the honour of my photos on your intervals. I look forward to your upcoming photo intervals! :)

Here are some times at Ice Arena/Suzuka East :

Stock - 1'02.394/1'06.476
Rally - 0'59.797 :D/1'02.977

I hope to see a 0'59 at Ice Arena! ;)

I played two hours tonight, my best times were :

Ice Arena :

Stock: 1'02.297

Rally: 59.556

Suzuka :

Stock: 1'05.971

Rally: 1'02.762

Very good combos cars / circuits. It is difficult to keep some grip on both tracks, cars are not very powerful but they're moving a lot with snow tires and S2.

See you ;-)

Rally: 59.556
Great time with the Bluebird Rally didn't think it would be capable to get below the one minute mark with the car though a low one minute would have been the limit. Will be a difficult time to even get close to.

Thanks for the taking the time to completing the stats easyasashii. Its interesting to see the percentage of everyone's Podiums. Doesn't seem like twenty five weeks have passed since first taking part.

Latest times from tonight are:

Nissan Bluebird 1600 Deluxe '69 - 1'06.513
Nissan Bluebird Rally Car '69 - 1'03.387

Ice Arena (reverse)
Nissan Bluebird 1600 Deluxe '69 - 1'02.649
Nissan Bluebird Rally Car '69 - 1'01.379

Easy - I love stats, so your listings are very interesting to me! Thanks for calculating and posting those!

👍

Thanks for the taking the time to completing the stats easyasashii. Its interesting to see the percentage of everyone's Podiums. Doesn't seem like twenty five weeks have passed since first taking part.

You're welcome guys !

By the way Sylar, 25 is number of times you submitted and most of the time you submit two times a week ;)... So not really twenty weeks... so at least 12 weeks ;) ! But still 3 months !!! Yep, 1/4 of a year !!!

Dan360, great photos 👍 ! (Sorry I forgot to tell you this last message...)

Dan360, PiTch_, Great job guys 👍 ! I'll have to do something before it is to late to catch up with you ;) !

Good luck all !

I started my first tuning setups and saw improvement at Suzuka (1 second with the stock; 1/2 second with the rally version), but that setup totally didn't work on Ice Arena. So, my times only got better on the tarmac.

Suzuka Circuit East Short Course

stock: 1'06.450

rally: 1'03.123

I finally ran the Rally Car ! My times so far :

Nissan Bluebird 1600 Deluxe '69 - 1'06.904
Nissan Bluebird Rally Car '69 - 1'02.838

Ice Arena (reverse)
Nissan Bluebird 1600 Deluxe '69 - 1'03.782
Nissan Bluebird Rally Car '69 - 1'01.079

I have to work on ice !!!

Good luck all !