RKM Motorsport - Tuned Tuners - May '13

After driving the cars for a while and having changed the oil, etc, the LDP car will have 545hp and mine will have 547. It's just that you haven't broken them in yet.

Ahhh, you learn something new everyday :D
Anyway, i've sent you the spyker now

LDP Camaro ZL1 Predator Vs RKM Camaro SC550

A couple of things to note before I start:
  • I'm using a DS3 not a wheel, as I have no room for one while i'm at uni.
  • I'm not the best driver ever, I used driver aids for most of GT4 and 5P.
  • I don't tune cars much, and don't no much about tuning them/ Just the basics really.
  • This is my first review :)

The cars:
CamaroSC550_Big.jpg

RKM Chevrolet Camaro SC550 @ 537BHP/75Miles 1318kg.
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=4362094#post4362094

sangalganoabbeym.jpg

LDP Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 Predator Edition @ 534BHP/73Miles 1318kg
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=4309278#post4309278

The test circuit I use is one of my many track creator circuits, more specifically "Eiffel Circuit (#37)". (I'll figure out uploading replays eventually).
It is 5.60miles long, has 21 corners and an elevation change of 357.5ft. It's basically two tight and twisty sections connected by two fairly long straights.

The first of the two cars I used was the Lions Den car. After a few corners it became obvious that this is finely balanced, slightly too fast into a corner and you get understeer, and step slightly too hard on the throttle/ bit fat X and your'e drifting. There is a comfortable sweet spot inbetween though.

It pulls fairly well on the straights as well, 1318kg seems a bit heavy for a performance car and 530-ish bhp may not sound like much but it will hold its own, managing 185mph on the longer of the two straights.

I ended up doing 13 laps, the quickest of which was a 2:32.015, although I'm sure a better driver could knock a couple of seconds off that.
My lap times weren't too consistent, ranging from the 2:32 to 2:40, normally hitting around 2:35. With such a long track and unpredictable car it can be hard to nail lap times consistently.

Next up was the RKM SC550.
I could see after the 2nd corner (one of those hairpins with madly negative camber that you always get) that this car was much more manageable, at low speeds the turn-in felt like I was back the go-karts. At mid to high range corners, it had less problems also, not having too much of an understeer problem, although still kicking the rear out now and then.

In a straight line, it was roughly similar to the LDP, only able to hit 3 mph more on the straight before the braking point, and with such similar bhp and weights the acceleration felt similar as well. If it weren't for the different colours and the occasional whine from the supercharger you may get mistaken.

With the setup allowing to take corners a little easier than the LDP, the lap times were much more consistent, always below 2:36, with a quickest lap of 2:33.624.

Overall, the LDP car does seem to have a bit more pace in it, and possibly has potential for drifting (don't quote me on that!), but being more controllable and consistent, I prefer the RKM SC550.

Scores:

Handling:
LDP: 7
RKM: 9

Straight line speed:
LDP:8
RKM:8

Overall pace:
LDP: 8
RKM: 7

Enjoyment:
LDP:7
RKM: 8

RKM Motorsport’s Midnight Z

MidnightZ.jpg

MidnightZ_Big.jpg

Based on: Nissan Fairlady Z (Z34) ‘08
Obtained: Brand new from Nissan

Drivetrain: FR
Horsepower: 503 BHP (@ 37.0 miles)
Torque:---- 55 kgfm
Weight:---- 1239 kg

PARTS
GT Auto

Rays Volk Racing CE28N Wheels
Type A Front Aero

Tuning Shop
Chassis Weight Reduction Stage 3
Rigidity Improvement
Window Weight Reduction
Carbon Bonnet (Body Colour)
Engine Tuning Stage 3
Sports ECU
Sports Intake Manifold
Racing Air Filter
Titanium Racing Exhaust
Sports Exhaust Manifold
Catalytic Converter: Sports
Supercharger
Fully Customisable Transmission
Twin Plate Clutch
Semi Racing Flywheel
Carbon Propeller Shaft
Fully Customisable LSD
Fully Customisable Suspension Kit
Sports Soft Tyres

SETUP

Body/Chassis
Aerodynamics

Downforce: 0/20

Transmission
Transmission

(The following ratios are not final and will be re-adjusted once GT5 lets me. For now just set the max speed.)
1st:-- 3.654
2nd:-- 2.447
3rd:-- 1.781
4th:-- 1.360
5th:-- 1.089
6th:-- 0.915
Final: 3.692
Max Speed: 199 MPH

Drivetrain
Differential

Initial: 0/17
Accel:-- 0/37
Braking: 0/9

Suspension
Suspension

Ride Height: -25/-25
Spring Rate: 13.5/9.5
Extension:-- 7/6
Compression: 6/5
Anti-Roll:-- 5/4
Camber:----- 1.8/2.0
Toe:-------- –0.25/-0.05

Brakes
Brake Balance Controller

Brake Balance: 5/6

Intended Driving Options
Transmission: Manual (MT)
ABS: 1
Everything else: OFF

Tuner Comments:
Some say it’s possessed by a certain old Z and that all you can hear from it at night is the “whiiiiiiiii” sound from it’s supercharger, but all we know, is that it’s called the Midnight Z.

I've been using this set up and all i can say is Damn, I've been playing gt ever since gt1,but i never got into the tuning aspect of the game like i am now.For me at 45yrs old i love this game,and now i have the tunes to go with it,So thanks for taking the time to post theses!!!!

Overall, the LDP car does seem to have a bit more pace in it, and possibly has potential for drifting (don't quote me on that!), but being more controllable and consistent, I prefer the RKM SC550.

In my review the page before this one about the same 2 cars i came to the same conclussion, but i find the RKM having more drifting potential since its more controlable while getting in a drift. Especially in hairpins.

Hmm... It seems to an extent that the differences in pace are larger than I would've expected but otherwise it's the result I hoped for.

My biggest gripe with the LDP setup was it being a bit loose if you got careless with the throttle, it results in a higher theoretical exit speed when done right but do it wrong and it tries to kill you.

Hmm... It seems to an extent that the differences in pace are larger than I would've expected but otherwise it's the result I hoped for.

My biggest gripe with the LDP setup was it being a bit loose if you got careless with the throttle, it results in a higher theoretical exit speed when done right but do it wrong and it tries to kill you.

Maybe a fun fact. Forgot to turn the ECU off wich i installed from the LDP version, and it was still on your setup. I totally obliterated the time i set with the LDP version. 2 seconds faster. 1:57:XXX ish.

Just tried the RX7 tune and thought it was excellent. Its really stable and you need to want it to slide or it just stays glued.

I did decrease the rear camber a little than increase the front anti roll bars, purely to make it slide a little more. I like a little rear end action!

Appreciate the time you have taken because I'm rubbish at tuning!

The car really is stuck fast to the track 👍, and I have to agree with appreciating the time you guys at RKM take to make these tunes so damn good! 👍👍👍

It's not the same, no. They're pretty equal in terms of pace but feel very different.

Sorry for being a noob about all this - trying to learn. When you say "pretty equal in terms of pace" you mean the lap times on the same track will be close to the same time? I only have the money to build either a RX-7 or R-8 tuned model for some online races I am going to be doing with the community I belong to so I was wondering if one was easier to drive for a noob than the other.

Will the GT4 setting work on the same year and model of the GT5 cars?

i noticed we are a getting a patch of cars for Christmas

Would it be completely out of the question, to add some sort of scoreboard ranking to each tune you have?

For example list the track that you used to tune said car and your best lap time while tuning. Then allow users to include their lap times only with their reviews on the same track, with the exact set up. Honor system would have to be used, but it's something I think would really add depth to your tunes, to see how people are stacking up against each other as well as against you.

Then as reviews come in, you'd simply just edit the original post, adding the time, so that each time was included with the original tune. Even if you needed to limit it, to a small number to avoid constant upkeep. Should also help you get an idea of how people are driving, as to help you evaluate their reviews as well, and has the possibility to increase the amount of reviews you receive if people are also out for bragging rights. I'm willing to bet you could get some lurkers to start posting reviews and times with this little addition.

Either way, good work thus far.
Best of luck in the future.
Just my .02 :)

Im trying to understand the tuning part but i believe its a Epic fail.

overpowered (975HP) 99 viper GTS

LSD 10/20/15

down force 13 (rear only)

Height -10/-8
Spring Rate 8.0/9.0
Dampers Ext 8/6
Dampers Comp 7/5
Anti-Roll 4/6
I have no idea where to start with camber and toe
Camber 0.0/0.0
Toe -0.0/0.20

Brakes 5/6

ABS 1
everything else is off

Tested on Trial and Sarthe. I would appreciate any advice. It still feels like to much understeer.

Last edited:
RKM Motorsport’s Tuner Correction EvoX

RKMEvoX.jpg

RKMEvoX_Big.jpg

Based on: 2007 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X GSR P.P.
Obtained: New Car Dealer

Drivetrain: AWD
Horsepower: 541 BHP (@218.2 miles)
Torque:---- 447 ft-lb
Weight:---- 1247 kg

PARTS
GT Auto

Oil Change
Enkei JS+M wheels
Front Aero Type A
Rear Aero Type A
Rear Wing Type A
Engine Overhaul (where applicable)

Tuning Shop
Weight Reduction Stage 3
Lightweight Windows
Carbon Fiber Hood (Body Color)
Engine Tuning Stage 3
ECU Tuning
Sports Intake Manifold
Racing Air Filter
Titanium Racing Exhaust
Sports Header
Sports Catalytic Converter
High-RPM Turbo Kit
Semi-Racing Flywheel
Semi-Racing Clutch
Carbon Driveshaft
Adjustable Center Differential
FC Suspension
Sports Soft OR Racing Soft tires

SETUP

Body/Chassis
Aerodynamics

Downforce: 0/11

Transmission
Transmission

1st:-- 3.102
2nd:-- 2.052
3rd:-- 1.483
4th:-- 1.125
5th:-- 0.896
6th:-- 0.749
7th:-- x.xxx
Final: 4.062
Max Speed: 211

Drivetrain
Differential:

F/R Bias: 50/50
AYC Controller:
AYC Strength: 70

Suspension
Suspension

Ride Height: -25/-20
Spring Rate: 14.8/4.5
Extension:-- 7/9
Compression: 5/6
Anti-Roll:-- 5/6
Camber:----- 2.5/3.0
Toe:-------- 0.10/-0.25

Brakes
Brake Balance Controller

Brake Balance: 7/10

Intended Driving Options

Tuner Comments:
So we got this EvoX dropped off by a customer for tuning purposes. We figured the modified settings versus stock were the result of fettling by said customer and thought little of it, same for the clutch-type differentials. Then we noticed the car was being shown in the “customer cars” section of another tuning company's website.

The car was feeling a bit sad for itself when we got it, having lost the only thing that gives an Evo an advantage; the active yaw control rear differential, and running an unoptimized suspension setup. The car was originally set up on the customer supplied soft-compound slicks but we noticed it didn't really need them so we slapped on road-legal soft-compound semi-slicks and finished the tweaks. We were then told we could do whatever we wanted with the appearance of the vehicle, so it got a fresh coat of Ford Oxford White paint and a set of Enkei JS+M wheels sprayed with Alfa Romeo Bianco Spino to call it done.

Car handles awesome, but at such high speeds the car wobbles left and right..I can't keep my steering wheel straight for the life of me when this thing hits past 140mph..Any suggestions on how to fix this? I tried adding more downforce, but that doesn't seem to fix the problem.

Last edited:
Maybe a fun fact. Forgot to turn the ECU off wich i installed from the LDP version, and it was still on your setup. I totally obliterated the time i set with the LDP version. 2 seconds faster. 1:57:XXX ish.

20hp shouldn't make ~4 seconds of difference :dopey:

No idea how that worked out.

The car really is stuck fast to the track 👍, and I have to agree with appreciating the time you guys at RKM take to make these tunes so damn good! 👍👍👍

Thank you.

Sorry for being a noob about all this - trying to learn. When you say "pretty equal in terms of pace" you mean the lap times on the same track will be close to the same time? I only have the money to build either a RX-7 or R-8 tuned model for some online races I am going to be doing with the community I belong to so I was wondering if one was easier to drive for a noob than the other.

Will the GT4 setting work on the same year and model of the GT5 cars?

i noticed we are a getting a patch of cars for Christmas

GT4 settings will work to an extent on the same car in GT5 but not as well as dedicated settings.

Would it be completely out of the question, to add some sort of scoreboard ranking to each tune you have?

For example list the track that you used to tune said car and your best lap time while tuning. Then allow users to include their lap times only with their reviews on the same track, with the exact set up. Honor system would have to be used, but it's something I think would really add depth to your tunes, to see how people are stacking up against each other as well as against you.

Then as reviews come in, you'd simply just edit the original post, adding the time, so that each time was included with the original tune. Even if you needed to limit it, to a small number to avoid constant upkeep. Should also help you get an idea of how people are driving, as to help you evaluate their reviews as well, and has the possibility to increase the amount of reviews you receive if people are also out for bragging rights. I'm willing to bet you could get some lurkers to start posting reviews and times with this little addition.

Either way, good work thus far.
Best of luck in the future.
Just my .02 :)

That's a lot of maintenance work and the problem with it is that I want to see how the cars work away from where I do most of my testing for other people.

It is something I may consider eventually though.

Im trying to understand the tuning part but i believe its a Epic fail.

LSD 10/20/15

Height -10/-8
Spring Rate 8.0/9.0
Dampers Ext 8/6
Dampers Comp 7/5
Anti-Roll 4/6
I have no idea where to start with camber and toe
Camber 0.0/0.0
Toe -0.0/0.20

Brakes 5/6

ABS 1
everything else is off

Tested on Trial and Sarthe. I would appreciate any advice. It still feels like to much understeer.

Reverse the dampers, set camber to something like 2.5/1.8 for starters, then if it still pushes you can try stiffening the front springs while turning down the front anti-roll bar.

Car handles awesome, but at such high speeds the car wobbles left and right..I can't keep my steering wheel straight for the life of me when this thing hits past 140mph..Any suggestions on how to fix this? I tried adding more downforce, but that doesn't seem to fix the problem.

The only thing to fix that "problem" is to install an FC LSD which removes the largest reason it handles well. It's something I call the "Evo Wobble" and it doesn't seem to destabilize the car any, it's just annoying. Also of note is that the more play your steering wheel has, the more of a shake will happen.

Thank you Rotary Junkie. I will try that today.
EDIT:
New Setup

LSD 10/20/15

Height -10/-8
Spring Rate 8.0/9.0
Dampers Ext 6/8
Dampers Comp 5/7
Anti-Roll 4/6

Camber 2.5/1.8
Toe -0.0/0.20

Brakes 5/6
Tires RS

ABS 1
everything else is off

This is the new set up according to your advice and it outperforms the previous one. I know i can get more out of it. the car jerks a little around turns. It does not break traction though. Ill send a video of it to you. if you have time to watch it. Ill have to figure out how to do it first. again thanks for your help.

Tested on Trial and Sarthe. I would appreciate any advice.

--------On another note, ill be glad to really pay you for your time. (paypal)--------- Maybe it would help with the hours you have in helping others as-well

Last edited:
Thank you Rotary Junkie. I will try that today.
EDIT:
New Setup

*snip*

This is the new set up according to your advice and it outperforms the previous one. I know i can get more out of it. the car jerks a little around turns. It does not break traction though. Ill send a video of it to you. if you have time to watch it. Ill have to figure out how to do it first. again thanks for your help.

Tested on Trial and Sarthe. I would appreciate any advice.

--------On another note, ill be glad to really pay you for your time. (paypal)--------- Maybe it would help with the hours you have in helping others as-well

Hmm, how do you mean it "jerks" around corners?

If you can get a video up of it, that would be great. Sadly the direct upload of replays that was mentioned pre-release didn't make it due to excessive memory use on the PS3, it would make things far easier when it comes to competitions etc.

About the money thing... It's entirely up to you. Let's sort this Viper first though, I'll go grind Indy for a bit, build it, and see what I can come up with for it.

Oh and @Jack*: Thanks mate.

Ill be happy to pay you. and i can just send the viper to you if you would like. No need in buying one and stuff. I sent a few cars to my friend as a gift, so im assuming you can just send back after you run it? Please forgive my noobness

I've actually already bought and built it, no worries there. I'll PM you the setup once it's ready. So far I've eliminated most of the understeer on-throttle, now trying to resolve braking stability.

After playing the game thus far, I'm really enjoying the RX-7 (FD) and Miata tunes. They're destroying races in A-spec AND B-spec. Plus they're a blast to drive.

Any plans for the Mazda Furai? It handles nicely stock with warm sport hard tires but a little squirmy mid corner. Maybe I just need to work on my driving style and be smoother as it's let forgiving then other cars.

Hi guys I have been driving my Gallardo with your setups and it's AWESOME!! Thanks a lot and keep up the good work:tup::)

RKM Motorsport’s LFA GT

LFAGT.jpg

LFAGT_Big.jpg

Based on: Lexus LFA ‘10
Obtained: Brand new from Lexus

Horsepower: 542 BHP (@ 77.6 miles)
Torque:---- 48 kgfm
Weight:---- 1234 kg

PARTS
GT Auto

BBS RE-MG Wheels

Tuning Shop
Chassis Weight Reduction Stage 3
Rigidity Improvement
Window Weight Reduction
Fully Customisable Transmission
Twin Plate Clutch
Semi Racing Flywheel
Carbon Propeller Shaft
Fully Customisable LSD
Fully Customisable Suspension Kit
Sports Soft Tyres

SETUP

Transmission
Transmission

(The following ratios are not final and will be re-adjusted once GT5 lets me. For now just set the max speed.)
1st:-- 4.270
2nd:-- 2.775
3rd:-- 1.983
4th:-- 1.491
5th:-- 1.178
6th:-- 0.978
Final: 3.417
Max Speed: 230 MPH

Drivetrain
Differential

Initial: 0/15
Accel:-- 0/30
Braking: 0/5

Suspension
Suspension

Ride Height: -20/-20
Spring Rate: 9.0/12.4
Extension:-- 6/6
Compression: 5/5
Anti-Roll:-- 4/4
Camber:----- 1.8/1.7
Toe:-------- –0.16/-0.29

Brakes
Brake Balance Controller

Brake Balance: 6/7

Intended Driving Options

Tuner Comments:
The LFA is a pretty exclusive car. There are only 500 in the world. So we got one and gave it the RKM treatment. What? There are still 499 left, don’t give us that evil stare. When we first test drove the LFA, the engine scared the crap out of us. So badly infact that we’ve left it stock. However we did strip it of over 200kg and improved on the already great handling. You’ll need to treat this one like a fine woman. Carefully and elegantly. If you mistreat this LFA, it’ll discard you without a second thought. If you treat it well, it’ll reward you in large amounts. Throttle control and smooth steering is a must to get the best out of this LFA GT.

Extreme Series - Super GT - Suzuka Circuit - 2:03:xx

First off, my car is fully maxed and uses Soft Racing Tires, so it deviates from the initial plan. Having said that... This tune simply does not fit my style.
I assume this was designed for a modest driving style, whereas I'm relatively aggressive. I went into this race blind, did 4 laps of hot laps, restarted and ran the 10 lap race. Unfamiliar with the track and this tune, after 4 laps I had a general idea and by about lap 5 of the actual race, finally found the 'sweet spot' of compensation between the clash of this cars tune and my driving style.

Corner Entry: Not a lot of wiggle room. Hit your marks, stay off the gas, and this tune works great. Drive like me and you'll pay the price. If I enter late, the car plows through the center and if I don't end up in the grass, requires me to slow down a considerable amount to get the car to rotate. Enter too soon or too slow, and you have to back off of the wheel in the opposite direction, this destroys your exit and you sacrifice a lot of speed in doing so. Hard brakers will notice a slight tendency to oversteer while braking into a turn, but in a good way... at least good to me.

Center of the corner: If you enter correctly, the car has solid grip, is smooth and will roll through the turn nicely. This tune understeers on acceleration though, so you will be penalized for trying to get back to the throttle early. The tighter the turn, the longer you have to wait and continue coasting. Get on the throttle too soon and your exit will be too high, pushing you into an outside tire on the grass, and if this happens and you aren't absolutely aiming straight ahead, you're going for a 360. Throttle too soon, try to make up for it with the brake, or letting back off, and the car is a tiny bit twitchy, but more importantly you sacrifice your exit speed, leading into the next corner. Through the center, I found that coasting was most effective, but based on the sharpness of the corner, you can get up to ~20% throttle in an optimal outcome. On long sweeping corners the understeer was even more prevalent, requiring a lot of feathering on the gas, or to maintain ~75% throttle until aiming pretty much straight ahead.

Corner Exit: Even when you enter correctly & roll through the center slowly, you're still required to ease the throttle down on exit. This tune seems to lack the forward bite that helps the car get up off the corner and up to speed. It doesn't break loose, or wheel spin, but the more gas you give, the harder the car will understeer. I personally prefer a slight oversteer on acceleration, but this tune deny's me that privilege.

Thoughts: If you like to 'Gas & Go' on exit, this tune isn't for you. If you like to finesse the throttle constantly, this tune will reward you. It's a tune that requires and rewards discipline. If you prefer a free car, this isn't the way to go. This tune requires patience through the turns and demands constant attention to throttle position.

The best line I found with this car, was a late entry into the corner, with a wider entry angle into the turn than normal. It gave me a noticeable, but controllable amount of oversteer under braking while simultaneousness turning. This allowed me to get the nose pointed a little easier and to carry a bit more speed into the corner, so that I could keep that momentum as I was forced to coast through the majority of the rest of the turn. Then slowly adding throttle out of the corner, and continuing to feather it into the straightaway. One thing that stood out as an advantage, was for people who use manual shifting, to force the car into a lower gear through the corner. This reduced a fair amount of the understeer on throttle, through the middle out, and made the car more enjoyable to drive. Overall though, it just doesn't suit my driving style, but if the above sounds like you, then this tune should work wonders.

RKM Motorsport’s Mazdaspeed RX-8 Spec. III

MazdaspeedRX-8SpecIII.jpg

MazdaspeedRX-8SpecIII_Big.jpg

Based on: 2007 Mazda RX-8 Type S
Obtained: New Car Dealer

Horsepower: 396 BHP (@ 191.2 miles)
Torque:---- 259 ft-lb
Weight:---- 1085 kg

PARTS
GT Auto

Motegi Racing TOUGE wheels
Front Aero Type A
Extension Type A
Rear Wing Type A

Tuning Shop
Stage 3 Weight Reduction
Rigidity Improvement
Lightweight Windows
Carbon Fiber Hood (Body Color)
Engine Tuning Stage 3
Sports ECU
Titanium Racing Exhaust
Supercharger
FC Gearbox
Twin Plate Clutch
Semi Racing Flywheel
Carbon Propeller Shaft
FC LSD
FC Suspension
Sports Soft Tyres

SETUP

Body/Chassis
Aerodynamics

Downforce: 0/18

Transmission
Transmission

1st:-- 3.645
2nd:-- 2.416
3rd:-- 1.794
4th:-- 1.374
5th:-- 1.103
6th:-- 0.929
Final: 4.444
Max Speed: 193 MPH

Drivetrain
Differential

Initial: x/7
Accel:-- x/22
Braking: x/5

Suspension
Suspension

Ride Height: -20/5
Spring Rate: 9.0/7.0
Extension:-- 9/8
Compression: 6/4
Anti-Roll:-- 4/5
Camber:----- 2.8/2.9
Toe:-------- -0.05/-0.10

Brakes
Brake Balance Controller

Brake Balance: 5/9

Intended Driving Options

Tuner Comments:
The biggest complaint with the RX-8 was never its handling prowess nor the rev-happy nature of its RENESIS 1.3L 2-rotor powerplant... It was the torque produced by it, or rather the lack thereof. The RX-8 was not particularly heavy for a sports coupe, much less something with four doors, but the butter-smooth power plant also had about as much torque as a twisted rubber band. Well, we've sorted that by adding a supercharger and letting it rev even higher; the result is an astonishing 397bhp at 9300rpm and a quite respectable 259 ft-lbs of torque at 6300rpm. Add in a lightened and stiffened chassis (the car now weighs about 500lbs less than stock), retuned suspension, a good bit of downforce, and the result is the RX-8 that should've been built, even if it cost twice what the normal model did.

Ok so I'm not gonna make this long and drawn out, because it's 11:47 pm EST and I have only about 5 hours of sleep ahead of me.

The RX8 had me worried at first. I have seen them on the track in real life and have heard all the good and bad. Since I was getting ready to do the 200 miles of Laguna I said what the hell, give it a shot.

I have used your tunes before on my my R34 and simply loved it so I knew you cut no corners on this one either. Needless to say it performed beautifully. The car is a circut monster!!! I read you tuner comments and I agree there is a slight bit of understeer in the corner entry braking but, it was so minimal that by lap 10, I forgot it was even there. Mid corner and corner exit is a 3rd gear dream as you can foot to the floor with no worries. I drive with a wheel and pedals and all assist off, the back end of this car gave me no trouble if any at all.

Laguna has never been one of my favorite tracks however, after going through the paces with the 8, I am in love with it. I think there is a corkscrew on there but I'm not sure. ;) The lap times were pretty consistent (1:27-29) and could do at least 25-30 laps before pitting wich was very impressive given the level changes and the rumble strip work that Laguna has to offer.

In the end awesome tune, awesome car. Tomorrow I will be putting it through it's true test.....the Nur. Let's see how she does.

Good night all.

After playing the game thus far, I'm really enjoying the RX-7 (FD) and Miata tunes. They're destroying races in A-spec AND B-spec. Plus they're a blast to drive.

Any plans for the Mazda Furai? It handles nicely stock with warm sport hard tires but a little squirmy mid corner. Maybe I just need to work on my driving style and be smoother as it's let forgiving then other cars.

I'm somewhat considering a Furai, but to get my hands on one I've got to start up my spare account and run the B-Spec MX-5 race as I ditched mine for an S15 RM (not advised :lol:).

Hi guys I have been driving my Gallardo with your setups and it's AWESOME!! Thanks a lot and keep up the good work:tup::)

Thanks man.

Extreme Series - Super GT - Suzuka Circuit - 2:03:xx

First off, my car is fully maxed and uses Soft Racing Tires, so it deviates from the initial plan. Having said that... This tune simply does not fit my style.
I assume this was designed for a modest driving style, whereas I'm relatively aggressive. I went into this race blind, did 4 laps of hot laps, restarted and ran the 10 lap race. Unfamiliar with the track and this tune, after 4 laps I had a general idea and by about lap 5 of the actual race, finally found the 'sweet spot' of compensation between the clash of this cars tune and my driving style.

Corner Entry: Not a lot of wiggle room. Hit your marks, stay off the gas, and this tune works great. Drive like me and you'll pay the price. If I enter late, the car plows through the center and if I don't end up in the grass, requires me to slow down a considerable amount to get the car to rotate. Enter too soon or too slow, and you have to back off of the wheel in the opposite direction, this destroys your exit and you sacrifice a lot of speed in doing so. Hard brakers will notice a slight tendency to oversteer while braking into a turn, but in a good way... at least good to me.

Center of the corner: If you enter correctly, the car has solid grip, is smooth and will roll through the turn nicely. This tune understeers on acceleration though, so you will be penalized for trying to get back to the throttle early. The tighter the turn, the longer you have to wait and continue coasting. Get on the throttle too soon and your exit will be too high, pushing you into an outside tire on the grass, and if this happens and you aren't absolutely aiming straight ahead, you're going for a 360. Throttle too soon, try to make up for it with the brake, or letting back off, and the car is a tiny bit twitchy, but more importantly you sacrifice your exit speed, leading into the next corner. Through the center, I found that coasting was most effective, but based on the sharpness of the corner, you can get up to ~20% throttle in an optimal outcome. On long sweeping corners the understeer was even more prevalent, requiring a lot of feathering on the gas, or to maintain ~75% throttle until aiming pretty much straight ahead.

Corner Exit: Even when you enter correctly & roll through the center slowly, you're still required to ease the throttle down on exit. This tune seems to lack the forward bite that helps the car get up off the corner and up to speed. It doesn't break loose, or wheel spin, but the more gas you give, the harder the car will understeer. I personally prefer a slight oversteer on acceleration, but this tune deny's me that privilege.

Thoughts: If you like to 'Gas & Go' on exit, this tune isn't for you. If you like to finesse the throttle constantly, this tune will reward you. It's a tune that requires and rewards discipline. If you prefer a free car, this isn't the way to go. This tune requires patience through the turns and demands constant attention to throttle position.

The best line I found with this car, was a late entry into the corner, with a wider entry angle into the turn than normal. It gave me a noticeable, but controllable amount of oversteer under braking while simultaneousness turning. This allowed me to get the nose pointed a little easier and to carry a bit more speed into the corner, so that I could keep that momentum as I was forced to coast through the majority of the rest of the turn. Then slowly adding throttle out of the corner, and continuing to feather it into the straightaway. One thing that stood out as an advantage, was for people who use manual shifting, to force the car into a lower gear through the corner. This reduced a fair amount of the understeer on throttle, through the middle out, and made the car more enjoyable to drive. Overall though, it just doesn't suit my driving style, but if the above sounds like you, then this tune should work wonders.

Interestingly, all that sounds exactly the opposite of the way Roj drives. I have to blame the tires for a large part of the understeer; on sports tires it had a bit of a tendency to go slideways on exit despite the "low" output; Fixing this meant a setup that doesn't play well with extra grip.

Ok so I'm not gonna make this long and drawn out, because it's 11:47 pm EST and I have only about 5 hours of sleep ahead of me.

The RX8 had me worried at first. I have seen them on the track in real life and have heard all the good and bad. Since I was getting ready to do the 200 miles of Laguna I said what the hell, give it a shot.

I have used your tunes before on my my R34 and simply loved it so I knew you cut no corners on this one either. Needless to say it performed beautifully. The car is a circut monster!!! I read you tuner comments and I agree there is a slight bit of understeer in the corner entry braking but, it was so minimal that by lap 10, I forgot it was even there. Mid corner and corner exit is a 3rd gear dream as you can foot to the floor with no worries. I drive with a wheel and pedals and all assist off, the back end of this car gave me no trouble if any at all.

Laguna has never been one of my favorite tracks however, after going through the paces with the 8, I am in love with it. I think there is a corkscrew on there but I'm not sure. ;) The lap times were pretty consistent (1:27-29) and could do at least 25-30 laps before pitting wich was very impressive given the level changes and the rumble strip work that Laguna has to offer.

In the end awesome tune, awesome car. Tomorrow I will be putting it through it's true test.....the Nur. Let's see how she does.

Good night all.

I was pretty happy with the way the 8 turned out; it pulls well and is very stable. It does have a mild "push" to it at times but that means it's very easy to stay deadly consistent lap after lap.

Thanks for the review. Let me know how it does at the Ring.

The Furai is a very good idea. Mine is fully tuned and it burns the Group C cars, but with your setups it will burn the FGT:), or even the X2010 (or X1):dopey:

Your setups are very cool and I was looking at the "MX-5 SC" setup and I was wondering (or wandering, i don't know) if it can also be used in mine MX-5 '07 (the new one).

The Furai is a very good idea. Mine is fully tuned and it burns the Group C cars, but with your setups it will burn the FGT:), or even the X2010 (or X1):dopey:

I somehow doubt it. I mean, with a proper setup a human driver may well be able to get the Furai to keep up with AI driven FGTs (it was common to run Group C cars in GT4 in the FGT championship for maximum A-Spec points) but there's no way to test that. The X1 however... No. Never. :lol:

Your setups are very cool and I was looking at the "MX-5 SC" setup and I was wondering (or wandering, i don't know) if it can also be used in mine MX-5 '07 (the new one).

The NC Miata ('07) is radically different in terms of handling characteristics from the NA and NB Miatas. I played with one around the same time Roj did the MX-5 SC and while it was faster it wasn't as good to drive either. I suppose I could do a specialized tune for it but that would mean you'd need to follow the rules in post #1.

RX8 on the Ring......

So per my earlier post about your R34 tune, I had hit a 7:21.238 (with some improvement could do better), after 2 laps. I just ran the RX8 up against my ghost (R34) and posted a 7:19.567.

Synopsis:

The 8 has tremendous grip and handling as I stated before. The gears are perfect because you only get to about 177mph at the top of the hill starightaway under the bridge. The ugly braking understeer is more noticeable here because of the semi uneven road texture however, it is just a matter of changing braking turn in and your are good.

Lap one....

The first lap I think I hit every guard rail on the ring (not really). I did go off quite a bit but that was due to me pushing the 8 far beyond it's limits. I had a lead on my ghost thru the first series of corners and I was about .6xx secs ahead as we approached the first high speed follow thru and that was where the ping pong action began. It would contine at the follow thru leading up to the right hander before the carousel, the carousel, the......you get the idea.

Lap two.....

A different story in itself. I knew what my limitations were and nailed each corner almost perfectly (I'm a God..if only in my mind). Slid off only once just before the second carousel and still managed an almost 2 sec better lap.

Recommendation....

Don't change a thing. The car fits my driving style and I love that. She will do me well. If you brake late and shift often then this ride is for you.

Off topic....

I suggest.....(who the hell do you think you are?)......that some others post their opinions on the 8. Maybe once the game gets some age to it and garages get full you can start a Time Attack Comp with a prize car or tune. It would get more drivers of different levels behind the wheel of your creations.

Food for thought!!!!

Latest Posts

Back