The lifelong fight against 4WD drifting.

• Thread starter GODfreyGT5
  • 69 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
FRAG-ME-CG
It's really getting on my nerves about the number of posts on Gtplanet asking about setups for 4WD drift cars. It seems that far too many people don't understand how much of drifting is ruined by 4WD as it is far too easy to do. Therefore I decided to get out my WRC C4, set the lsd to:
FRONT: REAR:
5 20
5 60
5 30

And torque distribution to:
10-90

This setup provides the least assistance from the front wheels, and many people claim this to "Handle RWD".

I then took the car to the top gear test track, for a little.... 'Proving time'.

Proof that just that tiny amount of help from the front wheels makes simple track drifting far too easy to be claimed as a skill.

Yep this video does show how easy a 4WD car is to drift in, those front wheels do a huge deal of work I don't care what anyone says ;)

I agree, but I'll still pull out my stylish Subie when I want to drift it no matter who says what. ;)

Hopefully they put in a Drivetrain Swap option.

how else do you expect me to get the kids to soccer practice?
TsukubaCircuit.jpg

I feel ya on this.

I just got into drifting, hopped on GTP before goofing around, saw all the people who hated 4WD drifters, so naturally I learned the correct way to drift.

Why learn something the incorrect way?

Epic pic btw...

how else do you expect me to get the kids to soccer practice?
TsukubaCircuit.jpg

Great pic but there are nice 240s in the game for that sort of thing anyway plus nobody gives a **** about food and **** all over the interior of an old Volvo :D

Its funny though... most people I've seen online drifting 4wd have been utterly useless and I've done rings around them in my properly setup RWD cars.

Only thing that really pisses me off is that alot of them think you can enter a corner flat at 150mph, blowing the person ahead of them thats in the middle of a nice long drift out of the way and then understeering into a wall getting in the way of the same person that they just pissed off yet again as they spin around the road trying to come out of the wall or gravel...

And if they don't get back onto the road before you, the whole process happens again at the next corner!

I have nothing against 4WD drifting once the people using them are using them to great effect and pulling off amazing slides with silly entries on every corner but not getting in the way of everybody else especially when people are trying to tandem.

Great pic but there are nice 240s in the game for that sort of thing anyway plus nobody gives a **** about food and **** all over the interior of an old Volvo :D

Its funny though... most people I've seen online drifting 4wd have been utterly useless and I've done rings around them in my properly setup RWD cars.

Only thing that really pisses me off is that alot of them think you can enter a corner flat at 150mph, blowing the person ahead of them thats in the middle of a nice long drift out of the way and then understeering into a wall getting in the way of the same person that they just pissed off yet again as they spin around the road trying to come out of the wall or gravel...

And if they don't get back onto the road before you, the whole process happens again at the next corner!

I have nothing against 4WD drifting once the people using them are using them to great effect and pulling off amazing slides with silly entries on every corner but not getting in the way of everybody else especially when people are trying to tandem.

Is there anyway of setting a lobby to RWD only? if not it should be added in a patch.

Love the pic!

No, sadly there isn't an option to make a RWD limit on your servers.

A couple of days ago I decided to make an open lobby as only one other team member was online. I label'd it "<ACN> Drift Team RWD ONLY".

My team member joined, and shortly after, the inevitable happened.

Four people joined our room, making a room of 6, of which only 3 of
us had RWD's! Me, the other team member and a randomer who was pretty good.

The other 3 included two 4WD's and a FF!

Someone at PD needs to get the restriction option in the game as soon as possable.

Chris.

Love the pic!

No, sadly there isn't an option to make a RWD limit on your servers.

A couple of days ago I decided to make an open lobby as only one other team member was online. I label'd it "<ACN> Drift Team RWD ONLY".

My team member joined, and shortly after, the inevitable happened.

Four people joined our room, making a room of 6, of which only 3 of
us had RWD's! Me, the other team member and a randomer who was pretty good.

The other 3 included two 4WD's and a FF!

Someone at PD needs to get the restriction option in the game as soon as possable.

Chris.

I asked one day in some random room if anybody wanted to make a drift train and start a race for a replay/ photo shots.

All was good with 4 or 5 people that knew what they were at...

Started the race and there in front of me on the grid is a Fiat 500!!! And I don't mean the cool tail happy old one either! :grumpy:

I even have a picture of passing the muppet on full opposite lock around the outside on the last bend at Tsukabe :D

I can't agree with the OP, I find RWD cars easier to drift than 4WD, especially with the wheel.

It's your opinion, 4WD's are a little harder to kick into a drift, but are pretty much immune to spinning out, which means you can throw them at ridiculous angles into any corner.

I agree, but I'll still pull out my stylish Subie when I want to drift it no matter who says what. ;)

Hopefully they put in a Drivetrain Swap option.

I agree to this because if you reasearch the difference between 4WD and AWD you will find theat 4WD cars can be either RWD or all the wheels. So your your arguement should be against AWD because they cannot be switched over. They have power to the wheels at all times.👍

It's really getting on my nerves about the number of posts on Gtplanet asking about setups for 4WD drift cars. It seems that far too many people don't understand how much of drifting is ruined by 4WD as it is far too easy to do. Therefore I decided to get out my WRC C4, set the lsd to:
5 20
5 60
5 30

10-90

This setup provides the least assistance from the front wheels, and many people claim this to "Handle RWD".

I then took the car to the top gear test track, for a little.... 'Proving time'.

Proof that just that tiny amount of help from the front wheels makes simple track drifting far too easy to be claimed as a skill.

Plus you cannot do a test on topgear becaus it is so wide any car can look as though it is crazy there.

You botched your own arguement:tup:

Next

I sometime bring out 4WD for fun but mostly run FRs

@RX7Tuner

I was showing how easy it was to hold a 90 degree slide, and still link that corner into a circle around the tyres. I could upload a vid at Autumn Ring and embaress you if you really want me to.

Oh and I think you must have looked away when I took out the cones.

Chris.

You botched your own arguement:tup:

you missed the point entirely.

i have to agree with the OP, AWD is easier to drift with. i love my GTR when it comes to drifting because its a lot easier than my C63, or M3 or 370Z. im very much new to drifting though, and i rock a controller, so i have no idea how a wheel effects things. however, i find it a lot easier to use my GTR over my other drift spec cars.

that being said, my personal best for the drift bonus 3 seasonal event is in my C63.

you missed the point entirely.

i have to agree with the OP, AWD is easier to drift with. i love my GTR when it comes to drifting because its a lot easier than my C63, or M3 or 370Z. im very much new to drifting though, and i rock a controller, so i have no idea how a wheel effects things. however, i find it a lot easier to use my GTR over my other drift spec cars.

that being said, my personal best for the drift bonus 3 seasonal event is in my C63.

You missed the point entirely if you think were talking AWD.
Were talking 4WD. I mostly drift a FR but occasionally bring out a 4WD not AWD.

5 20
5 60
5 30

10-90

THANK YOU! 👍

You guys are all confused between awd and 4wd, awd is evo's scoobies and gtr's whereas 4wd is land rovers, pickup trucks and such

If it uses a system that all 4 wheels are engaged in the drivetrain i personally it's a waste. You will ALWAYS in GT5 have 10% pull from front wheels! Therefor it's more a powerslide rather than a Drift. but thats my own opinion which I am entitled to.

Why "fight" against AWD drifting when the problem is immature/unskilled drivers who lack online etiquette?

Why "fight" against AWD drifting when the problem is immature/unskilled drivers who lack online etiquette?

True tho you will find no matter who.. that people who use cars with a 4wd system always force there way through a corner. i have a mate who i drift amazingly well with but always have that 1 or 2 or sorry.. MANY 4wd drifters getting in the way

sorry can someone just explain to these people that AWD and 4WD are the same gd-thing please?:crazy:

I know what both are but in GT5 they are practically the same when it comes to setting them up :)

You ALWAYS have 10% pull from the front wheels so its a powerslide not a drift

they are the same thing!! argh.

anyway IMO - 4wd/awd (whatever you want to call it) is ok if you literally have your heart set on drifting a subaru or something but FR for the absolute win with me.

Can't believe this is even a topic still, the problem is idiot drivers that GT5 seems to have an abundance of. Not the little 10% coming from the front.

they are the same thing!! argh.

anyway IMO - 4wd/awd (whatever you want to call it) is ok if you literally have your heart set on drifting a subaru or something but FR for the absolute win with me.

Incorrect.
AWD uses 90% power in the front wheels when road driving and additional engine power is diverted to rear wheels via viscous coupling(only when the front wheels start to slip) and has the SAME gearing range therefor same power range but a 4WD can transfer back and forth to 4WD or RWD. Also you can transfer gearing ranges between high and low so in actual fact.. They are NOT the same

Can't believe this is even a topic still, the problem is idiot drivers that GT5 seems to have an abundance of. Not the little 10% coming from the front.

Exactly!!! I have nothing against 4wd drifting, it's the stupid bad drivers that generally use them that wreak my head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back