[wheel users]how do you like your car's behaviour?

NightTravel
It's been a month that I started drifting in GT5, watching around which setup people run with, things like that to see a direction to go, but, the more time I spend playing the more my drift cars become stiffer.

Then I start lurking around wheel setups and see people with soft settings.

After going online I'm always faster in tandems with a good angle I think, but I can't tell if that's because of the setup or whatever.

I'd like to see some people car behaviour preferences.

Maybe its a good idea to post a clear question or statement in your post (or title).

Something like: Does a stiff setup make high angle at high speeds possible?
or: Why do you like your setups to be soft?
or: Can you hold large angle at speed with a soft setup?

I noticed (from your setups wich ar stiff imo) that i could hold very low angle drifts at high speeds more easy without the car snapping into grip, which make it nice for linking corners that are far apart.. With good throttle control (which i dont have much) it provides a very steady and solid drift.

I personally like soft setups cause you can really throw the weight around, but if the car is a heavy one like my V8 Vantage, a stiff setup reduces understeer when transferring..

Hopes this gets thing started a bit..

I like a tad stiffer than stock, but not too stiff, I haven't messed around too much with the settings when using my g27 though, I'm good at understanding all the settings, but for me, its more a matter of learning all the skills involved, then car setup comes last. I wouldn't mind hearing some differences in characteristics from a soft to hard setting.

I just feel that soft ones the to snap oversteer/underster more often, and they feel delayed between movements, but with stiff settings it requires great smoothness between wheel and throttle movements.

I use my dfp with force feedback at 10 everytime. i hadn't enough response in the wheel so i didn't manage to get some turns well. since i setted it on 10 every turn is a breeze :)👍

I use my dfp with force feedback at 10 everytime. i hadn't enough response in the wheel so i didn't manage to get some turns well. since i setted it on 10 every turn is a breeze :)👍

I'm talking about how the car reacts in X situations, not about how the wheel reacts..

im using the porsche 911 turbo s and i find that stiffer spring settings are better suited for me. anywhere in the 10-13 range (when the max is 20). im still able to hold a lot of angle and keep a decent speed when i choose to.

i recognize what nocto said about the understeer occuring during drifts; so ive now started to use brake balance 6-0 (non in the rear). I figured drifters in RL use the Ebrake to break the rear and the footbrake for the front.

Any idea's on that?

i recognize what nocto said about the understeer occuring during drifts; so ive now started to use brake balance 6-0 (non in the rear). I figured drifters in RL use the Ebrake to break the rear and the footbrake for the front.

Any idea's on that?

I'm using e-brake for some turns and corrections, but I need the brake to take a slow corner after an high speed one.

Still I have to try the brake bias like that tough.

Last edited:
D1 cars are not as stiff as what you can see on the videos.

Depending on what you mean with stiff about the rates, with stiff i mean when i'm going harder than 8/7 on spring rates and 6/6 5/5 on dampers on cars that are around 1000kg. and have a weight distribution with over 50% front.

What you mean by I usually see stiff setup on D1?
Do you actually see their setting charts? I don't think as they don't show up their suspensions setup since really long (old option videos had that).
Just looking at a vid won't give you good hints as how stiff a setup is (unless it pictures a car with stock susp).

What you mean by I usually see stiff setup on D1?
Do you actually see their setting charts? I don't think as they don't show up their suspensions setup since really long (old option videos had that).
Just looking at a vid won't give you good hints as how stiff a setup is (unless it pictures a car with stock susp).

I think you could get an idea with the good camera angle and section of the drift vid.

But that's not where the thread wanted to lend to.

Back