How you can donate money to Japan

• Thread starter G.T.Ace
  • 12 comments
Germany
Bonn
GTAce
I hope mods are okay with this, I know we have a thread regarding the catastrophe in Japan, but I think this information shouldn't get lost in a huge thread like this.

Here are some infos how you can donate money, to help our friends in Japan:

Red Cross United Kingdom

Red Cross United States

Red Cross Australia

Red Cross Germany

Red Cross Canada

If you live in the US, you can also donate 10$ via a text message, send "REDCROSS" (without the ""'s) to 90999.

There are also some actions on twitter where people will donate money for retweets.

You can make donations in the amount of $2, $5, $10, $25 and $50 from your wallet in the PlayStation Store. With your donation, you’ll get a free theme for your PlayStation 3. In order to make a donation, go to the “Aid Japan” area under the New Releases category on the PlayStation Store.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011...k&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=japan_031811

If you have some more informations on how to donate money, please share and I will add it to the first post!

Last edited:
I have to "defend" Faria a bit, it's not that easy to find all the needed information.
I found no way for a Brasilian to donate, but @Faria: Maybe they will show some info on how to do it in the news. Keep an eye on it.

Well, Japan is one of the richest countries in the world, i think they can handle this situation. And besides, the only reason western countries contribute money is because they have interests in japan. If the maufacturing industry stops in japan, that would cause major problems in the western economics and trading.

Well, Japan is one of the richest countries in the world, i think they can handle this situation. And besides, the only reason western countries contribute money is because they have interests in japan. If the maufacturing industry stops in japan, that would cause major problems in the western economics and trading.

It would be easy to assume that much. But when natural disasters strike anywhere there always seems to be a global relief effort. Haiti for example is not an ecomonic powerhouse. I'm without credit card, checking, etc. all I have is cash and not much of it. Hopefully the collection jar at the gas station finds it way there.

That´s just half the truth. Such big natural catastrophies cause hundrets of billions of dollars of damage, not to think about how hard it is to save people is those areas. The more help, the faster the rescue and the harmless the aftermath.

There wasn´t ever any country, western or eastern, poor or rich, which has ever been let down with it´s disaster.

Actually, Japan has huge debts.

Tell that to the fishing villages that have had their fisheries destroyed by jellyfish. Now all of their capital has been destroyed too thanks to this disaster. Charities do the most good for each victim. Whole farms have been destroyed too, as I'm sure you noticed while watching the tsunami devastate all of that land. It's not like they just have to clean off the mud either, because the salinity from the ocean has likely done lasting damage. Whole livelihoods have been utterly destoyed.

Last edited:
I don't know where you have been, but today, many developed nations are wrestling with economic crisis. Japan happens to be one of the hardest hit, if not the hardest.

Outside of China, I don't know of any nation that can fund the repair of devastating damage of this size. Earthquake & the nuclear plant would have been manageable. Tsunami made it pretty much made this an impossible situation.

It would be easy to assume that but I recommend you check some articles on Japan's economic situation, TT3AZ.

One of the highest levels of national debt relative to the country’s GDP can be found in Japan. The Japanese national debt is $7.47 trillion. This is 170.4 percent of the Japanese GDP. India has a national debt of $2.55 trillion. This debt is 78 percent of the GDP of India. Zimbabwe has a national debt of $472.51 billion. This level of national debt is 241.2 percent of Zimbabwe’s GDP.
http://www.visualeconomics.com/

Although it is to be noted that Japan owe most of their debt to themselves.

The Central Bank of Japan (BOJ) in recent days has already been repeating many of the same mistakes the Federal Reserve made in the U.S. After this past week's disaster, the BOJ printed hundreds of billions of dollars worth of yen in an attempt to prop up their financial markets. Japan's central bank should be raising interest rates, which would encourage its citizens to increase their savings so that they have more resources to rebuild their country and invest into the production of clean energy. By printing trillions of yen out of thin air, the BOJ will cause prices to rise for the very building materials the Japanese need to purchase in order to rebuild.

Although the yen has been rising in recent days, it would be strengthening a lot more if it wasn't for the BOJ's actions. In fact, NIA believes that while the yen may continue to rise in the short-term, the yen is now likely to lose a substantial amount of its purchasing power over the long-term. Instead of allowing the yen to strengthen so that it is cheaper for the Japanese in import copper, iron, steel, oil, natural gas, and other commodities needed to rebuild, the BOJ's actions are actually hurting the Japanese and having the effect of propping up the U.S. economy in the short-term. - tfmetalsreport.blogspot.com

Returning to the subject of donating to the Japan appeal, which I am all for. Starbucks are running an appeal of their own here in Hong Kong. They will give all takings between 3-5pm today to the Japanese earthquake appeal. Now excuse me for being cynical, but if Starbucks' business hours are what 7-10pm? 6 days a week? So, they’re ‘donating’ 0.0004% of gross sales whilst they market themselves. I've had more than one person at work come up to me today asking me if I'm going to buy a Starbucks... No thanks, instead I'll triple the cost of a coffee and send it directly to the charity myself.

Reminds me of this:
Ethos, a brand of bottled water acquired by Starbucks in 2005, is sold at locations throughout North America. Ethos bottles feature prominent labeling stating "helping children get clean water", referring to the fact that $.05 from each $1.80 bottle sold ($.10 per bottle in Canada) is used to fund clean water projects in under-developed areas. Critics have argued that the claim on the label misleads consumers into thinking that Ethos is primarily a charitable organization, when it is actually a for-profit brand and the vast majority of the sale price (97.2%) does not support clean-water projects.

5538004674_84af9c6754_z.jpg

You can make donations in the amount of $2, $5, $10, $25 and $50 from your wallet in the PlayStation Store. With your donation, you’ll get a free theme for your PlayStation 3. In order to make a donation, go to the “Aid Japan” area under the New Releases category on the PlayStation Store.

It’s important to note that your contributions will go directly to the American Red Cross – Japan Earthquake and Pacific Tsunami Fund. Every penny donated will go to the fund, which supports emergency relief and recovery efforts, including deploying personnel, sending relief supplies and providing financial resources.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011...k&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=japan_031811

Back