4 Hour Nurburgring quirk/glitch!

• Thread starter GTsail
  • 38 comments

GTsail

Premium
United States
Florida
GTsail2/GTsail3
I'm currently 4 hours, 1 minute and 37 seconds into the 4 hour endurance race at Nurburgring and I've run into a major glitch.

I just began lap 27, which should be my final lap, and I've built up over a 4 minute lead over the second place car.

And then... flash.... the car list on the screen drops me to second place!!!

And the place counter shows that I'm 2nd out of 12 now.

????????????????????

I'm 4 minutes and 30 seconds into lap 27, so I think that the 2nd place car would have just crossed the start finish line.

But.... he's 4 minutes behind me, so why does the game show him as the leader?

I've paused the game to take a picture, but don't have any way to currently upload it.

So I decided to continue on.

As I continue driving the rest of my lap 27, my car's name drops down the car list on the right side of the TV screen.

As I near the end of the lap, I've fallen all the way down to 10th. I've stopped falling once I reached 10th because during the race I've lapped two cars.

I've paused the game again to take another picture and write this post.

Has anyone seen this glitch?

Puzzled
GTsail

Last edited:
Did it to me as well. Don't worry, just carry on, it'll corrrect itself once you cross the line.

Its good to know that you saw this as well.:nervous:

When it happened, I questioned my driving, thinking that somehow I was passed and didn't know it!:dunce:

Perhaps its pretty common if your lead is less than a full lap for the final lap once the 4 hour mark is reached.

And then the game checks the lap counter and see's that you've driven an extra lap more than the rest of the field and it gives you the win.

Respectfully,
GTsail

Last edited:
If you are indeed laps ahead it will end with you being the victor. Same happened to me and I thought I had wasted 4 hours of driving time.

It's not a glitch. In your race, the 2nd crossed the line after the full 4 hours and was at that precise moment the car which had both the most laps done AND past the line when the timer was out.

Kinda weird, but this is how timed enduros are.

I've restarted the game......and pushed on into the unknown......

I crossed the finish line in 10th and was time warped into 1st place! Nice!

That was great! I've got to try it again!

I wonder what would have happened if I had let the 2nd place car actually catch up with me before I crossed the finish line? Would I have jumped from 10th to 2nd? Would I have entered the twilight zone?:eek:

Respectfully,
GTsail

Never happened to me and I did this race a few times :)

raVer

It always happens and this is why:

It's not a glitch. In your race, the 2nd crossed the line after the full 4 hours and was at that precise moment the car which had both the most laps done AND past the line when the timer was out.

Perhaps you happened to be mid-last-lap when the chronometer reached zero countdown.

this happened to my B-Spec 24Hr endurance race as well. My Bob was using the FormulaGT and lapped the field numerous times, but the end results said he placed 7th. I was pretty confused, and went on to exit back to the menu afterwards and it showed the Gold trophy icon for that race. Clicked back to Home Screen and said I completed that race and won the prize car, as well as Lvl24 ticket! lol.

It's not a glitch. In your race, the 2nd car crossed the line after the full 4 hours and was at that precise moment the car which had both the most laps done AND past the line when the timer was out.....

I follow what you are saying SmokingCones: the game is watching who crosses the finish line first after the timer hits 4 hours, and temporarily places that car in first place while it checks to see if anyone else crosses the line with more laps.

To me this is a glitch, because I've already crossed the line and have already completed the same number of laps, so the game should continue to place me in first until my car gets passed.

Never happened to me and I did this race a few times :)

I wonder if its one of those PAL vrs NTSC things?

Well to test this glitch some more I've re-entered the race.

I decided to use a slightly stronger car so I would be able to manipulate the results easier. So I've entered my stock Falken GTR Race Car on RM tires and drive hard for the first three hours so I can lap the entire field.

I've hit the 4 hour mark on lap # 28, after building up a full lap lead on the entire field. So I pull over when I'm about 4 minutes into the lap and start to watch to see what happens. The second place car was about 6 minutes back, so he crosses the finish line after another 2 minutes or so, but definately after the 4 hour mark is reached.

I start to wait......

During the next three minutes, three cars that I had recently lapped all come streaming by, but not the 2nd place car which happens to be the FT265 Audi driven by Ellison. These three cars stream on by and go on to finish their lap. My place in the list does not change from 1st.

I continue to wait.........

After twelve minutes I know something is wrong. The 2nd place car should have caught up with me by now.

So to find out what its doing I start to drive backwards up the track. After about two miles I see the FT565 Audi coming towards me, so I quickly turn around thinking a violent impact may be imminent:nervous:

I needn't have worried, the FT565 Audi is traveling at 50 mph!!

He's traveling at the cool-down speed that we normally see for about 30 seconds after a race is finished!

The 3rd place car is about 5 seconds behind him, and its traveling at 50 mph as well!!

They've all given up!

I get my Falken turned around and follow them down the track at 50mph, sometimes slowing to 45mph in the turns and follow them for the next three miles or so until we finally cross the finish line.

The game says Finish as I cross the finish line, and my Falken has always been listed as the 1st place car even when I allowed these two cars past me.

My last lap took 25 minutes!

Puzzled some more
GTsail

Last edited:

This is correct, and why once you pass the finish line again, you will be the winner. 👍

I think it's because once the time limit is up you finish you're lap.. but you carry on until all cars have finished the current lap..?

I follow what you are saying SmokingCones: the game is watching who crosses the finish line first after the timer hits 4 hours, and temporarily places that car in first place while it checks to see if anyone else crosses the line with more laps.

To me this is a glitch, because I've already crossed the line and have already completed the same number of laps, so the game should continue to place me in first until my car gets passed.
Not a glitch, and it has to do with endurance racing rules. Your first paragraph is correct, but here's where it falls down. When you cross the finish line, you are committed to another lap in endurance racing. If your car breaks or you wreck on that lap, you are a DNF -- you did not complete the specified time limit.

So, if you cross the finish line before the timer hits 4 hours, the timer then hits 4 hours, then the second place car (on the same lap) crosses the line, the second place car is done, and has successfully completed the race. He is in first place. If your car breaks on that final lap, then you and the other guy will have completed the same number of laps, but he was running at the finish. Guess who wins? Technically, he IS ahead of you in first place, because the finishing order is uncertain when he's crossed the line and you haven't. He's the leader until you've proven you're the winner, by completing the additional lap.

It's not a glitch, because that car doesn't necessarily stop racing. If you stopped where you were (in real life, by a wreck or something), the other car would win and you'd get a pretty little DNF, or in this game, the car could make up the lost laps.

Not a glitch, and it has to do with endurance racing rules. Your first paragraph is correct, but here's where it falls down. When you cross the finish line, you are committed to another lap in endurance racing. If your car breaks or you wreck on that lap, you are a DNF -- you did not complete the specified time limit.

So, if you cross the finish line before the timer hits 4 hours, the timer then hits 4 hours, then the second place car (on the same lap) crosses the line, the second place car is done, and has successfully completed the race. He is in first place. If your car breaks on that final lap, then you and the other guy will have completed the same number of laps, but he was running at the finish. Guess who wins? Technically, he IS ahead of you in first place, because the finishing order is uncertain when he's crossed the line and you haven't. He's the leader until you've proven you're the winner, by completing the additional lap.

That's correct. In this case, GT really is the "real" driving simulator as that's how "real" timed races work.

I was all prepared to argue about how this isn't how I've ever seen it work in real life, until I realized I had missed something in the explanation of the rule so it is correct, you have to finish to finish, usually within a certain time period of either starting the last lap or the checkers being shown, not sure which and it likely varies like all rules. Although I'm pretty sure that if Peugot broke on their last lap of Le Mans and Audi finished on the same lap but after the time, Peugot would still find a way to win. At any other race, it would just be a HUGE argument that would result in a proper clarification of the rule for anybody watching. Usually moot because there's rarely more than one car on the lead lap at the end, unless he waited for his teammate in second.

Anyway, I wonder whether this situation could possibly have something to do with how I possibly could have won the Nürburgring 4 hour race the other day. I ran out of fuel just past the first split on the Döttinger Höhe and lost about 2 minutes to the R8 race car on lap 8. I managed to gain about a minute of that back(well, a bit more than that but my soft tires somehow lost nearly half their wear in half of my last lap). However I was still way behind, and he was not due for a stop for another lap or two. But despite being over a minute behind in the last split, I somehow gained first instantly when crossing the finish line. My only rational explanation would be that somehow another AI moron knocked him into the pit lane and his stall was before the finish line.

I had first in the final results screen, I think the R8 had a gap of 0, and I won his car as the prize. Still ticks me off as I would have beat him, he was a bit faster than me on pure pace(why is there only one car in the race with proper downforce?), but he always went one lap too far as you'd expect. I didn't want to win due to some stupid glitch or pit entry malfunction, whatever caused it.

Didn't the old GT games have the race end whenever you crossed, even if you were shortly behind and gaining on a still-racing opponent? Maybe that's a different game, but not sure how many I've played timed races in. It works almost right in rFactor, but there's no 'final lap' and iirc it can get confused if you are right in front of the leader when he gets the checkers. I know in GRID the race ended when the time ran out, no matter where you were. Now THAT was silly.

Last edited:
Over the last few days, since I haven't been able to log reliably into the PSN network, I decided to explore the ramifications of this "quirk".

I won't call it a "glitch" anymore (so I've changed the thread title slightly), because as others have pointed out, this ranking at race end is consistent with the racing rules for many race series.

Anyway, I decided to have another go in my RUF CTR2.

After a very enyoyable drive, by the end of lap 23, I've been able to lap every car in the field, so I just settle in and just cruise to the finish.

At the end of lap # 26, I cross the S/F line with about 7 minutes left before the 4 hour mark is reached.

So I pull over and park my car on the side of the track to wait and watch the rest of the field drive by (who are all at least one lap down to my RUF).

One by one, the field drives by (to begin their 26th laps).

I am hoping that some of the field will cross the Finish line before the 4 hour mark, and that some will cross afterwards. So I settle in to wait and have a snack.

In a bit, the 2nd place car crosses the S/F line line, but its before the 4 hour mark, so it continues on at full speed for another lap. The 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, and 10th place cars do so as well before the 4 hour mark is reached. Will my hope's be dashed? Is the field too closely bunched?

....... the 4 hour mark is finally reached and who should come by?

The 12th place Option Stream Z (who was two laps down to me)!

The Option Stream Z crosses the Finish line and immediately jumps from 12th place to 2nd place on the scoring grid (I'm still shown in 1st place since I still have an extra lap over the Option Stream).

2nd Place, not bad for the slowest car!!!

Since the driver of the Option Stream Z is my teammate, and I want him to collect his 2nd place earnings, I pull back out on the track and accelerate away to complete my final lap.

After about 3 minutes, I see that I've fallen down to 2nd place on the scoring grid, and the Option Stream Z has fallen down to 3rd place (this means that the 2nd place car, the HKS, has come all the way around the 'Ring and finished another lap).

Undaunted, I push on and bit by bit fall down the scoring grid as the 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th place cars all complete another lap.

The Option Stream Z has also been falling down the scoring grid.

I finally get to the end of my lap, after falling down to 10th place (with the Option Stream in 11th), and cross the Finish line and jump up the Grid to 1st. Yeah!

After the race, the Finishing Grid list shows that the Option Stream Z has maintained its 11th place rank on the scoring grid, even though it never passed the 12th place car!!

After the race my teammate from the Option Stream Z thanks me for my race strategy, but points out that if I hadn't wasted so much time sight-seeing by the side of the track, he could have finished much higher on the scoring grid!

Enjoy the racing,
GTsail

Last edited:
I would assume that's due to you no longer having the possiblity of waiting until everyone has finished the race(like you did way back in the olden days, I remember waiting an hour or so one time for everybody to finish at some SSR11 enduro in probably GT3).

The Option Stream Z was the first to finish(or rather, to finalize his time) by crossing the line after the 4 hours went by. The car that should have been just in front of him in the order probably never managed to cross the line before the game autoquit 30 seconds or so after you finished. If you had waited for him right at the finish line, you might have been able to have "stolen" him a 5th or 6th place "finish," maybe even higher if the gaps worked out the right way.

I've noticed that for some reason there is a much longer post-race delay in B-Spec races before it autoquits, the whole field usually finishes even if some are a minute behind. It's pretty rare for the last couple of cars to post a time in A-Spec, as long as a proper rabbit shows up.

I don't think the glitch is down to the timing system, but rather due to the Amuse S2000 GT1 Turbo that wins against EVERY SINGLE AI IT FACES EVER always wanting to win. :lol: It's a good thing you didn't let it do that.

But seriously, that is a very odd quirk. Haven't done any of the timed endurances yet (and to be honest...don't want to :nervous: ) but I'll have to watch out for that glitch. At least you can be sure you've won anyway.

It's kind of like a 'secret' tier of races. You can see all the others, but just can't race them until you are high enough level. You don't even get to see that the Endurance Events are there until you reach the level to unlock them. Not sure why they did it like that.

.....The Option Stream Z was the first to finish(or rather, to finalize his time) by crossing the line after the 4 hours went by. The car that should have been just in front of him in the order probably never managed to cross the line before the game autoquit 30 seconds or so after you finished. If you had waited for him right at the finish line, you might have been able to have "stolen" him a 5th or 6th place "finish," maybe even higher if the gaps worked out the right way.....

You are exactly correct. The Option Stream Z was the first car to cross the S/F line after the 4 hour mark was reached.

If instead of waiting by the side of the track, I had driven another lap and closely followed the Option Stream across the S/F line, the Option Stream would have finished 2nd in the race, as long as none of the other cars came by within the 30 second window. Not bad for a car that didn't pass anyone during the race!

Respectfully,
GTsail

its a bug. you didnt finish over the line 1st so to speak. but on timed races its calculated by distance covered

0ea252ec_113727d1194053211-es300-a-c-or-cabin-filter-change-97-01-holy-thread-revival-batman.jpg

Didn't we cover this a month ago?

Guilty!:guilty:

....Didn't we cover this a month ago?

As you and others have mentioned:

It's not a glitch, because that car doesn't necessarily stop racing. If you stopped where you were (in real life, by a wreck or something), the other car would win and you'd get a pretty little DNF, or in this game, the car could make up the lost laps.

The game is trying to comply with racing rules for timed endurance races.

But as I said:

Over the last few days, since I haven't been able to log reliably into the PSN network, I decided to explore the ramifications of this "quirk".

I wanted to explore the possiblities of this quirk if I tried to engineer the finishing order of the race using this quirk to my advantage.

So I hoped that my story was at least interesting to some.

Respectfully,
GTsail

Latest Posts

Back