Tesla suing Top Gear (UK).

• Thread starter adam46
  • 37 comments
United Kingdom
Isle of Wight
AdamNeverKnows
Tesla Motors are suing BBC's Top Gear over an apparent lie in the 2008 episode the car was featured in. It was aid to have run out of electricity after just 55 miles when apparently it can do 211. Also the car was never out of battery according to Tesla.

I'm a bit shady on the details so you'll just have to type Tesla suing Top Gear into Google and see what you find.

WOW. There suing Top gear UK for an episode in 2008 :scared: A bit late for that.

They are going under and need a little $$$ to operate. :D

*edit*
I better state that this comment was in jest and I am not serious. Otherwise people might take my comment seriously.

illustratedrick is right, they needed two but neither cars worked properly. Im pretty sure JC said that Tesla was still testing when they had the cars.

As for the delay, they wait a few years for their "victim" to gain some money so they can sue them for a ridicolous amount of money.

Then everyone will hate Tesla, Top Gear will rip the bits out of them on Television, and they will fade into nothing. Good move Tesla.

Top-Gear-in-trouble-over-Porsche-pipe-smoking-16674.jpg

Jeremy is not givin' a damn.

If this gets **anywhere** I hope Top Gear invite all UK Tesla owners to bring their cars to the TGTT, fully charge them, them blast round the track as fast as possible.. then, if the cars do not reach the distance stated by Tesla.. the owners get to sue Tesla for false advertising.... and Tesla have to re-emburse all tesla owners the cost of their cars.... these cars will not do the stated distance on track... and if this goes through, I'd imagine the license fee payer in the UK would foot the bill... way to gain market share in the UK Tesla!

Wait a minute, does Tesla promised a 211-mile autonomy in push-hard, drive-like-you-stole-it conditions?

No. More like "25mph city errands driving" style.

This is ridiculous though, I liked Tesla because of the Roadster but now Elon Musk is nothing but a dunce. I remember reading in a Motor Trend how he has stated "the Roadster kicks the ass of any Ferrari, except the Enzo". Um *cough* 599, 458, F430, F40, F50, etc.

It's all because they haven't sold enough of the Lotus chassis and will get fined if they don't sell them by 2012. Nothing but hot air comes out of that idiot shop anymore.

Isn't that the infamous episode in which Jezza lost a drag race ( on purpose ) against an Elise? No one takes Top Gear tests as serious performance measurement benchmarks, in order to produce something more 'artistical', they do alter the results a bit. :rolleyes:

If this gets **anywhere** I hope Top Gear invite all UK Tesla owners to bring their cars to the TGTT, fully charge them, them blast round the track as fast as possible.. then, if the cars do not reach the distance stated by Tesla.. the owners get to sue Tesla for false advertising.... and Tesla have to re-emburse all tesla owners the cost of their cars.... these cars will not do the stated distance on track... and if this goes through, I'd imagine the license fee payer in the UK would foot the bill... way to gain market share in the UK Tesla!

Had you bothered to search for some of the facts of the lawsuit you'd see how many inaccuracies TG made about the car.

Neither car broke down.
Neither car had brake problems.
Neither car ran out of charge despite the track work
The test was entirely scripted before TG had even got their hands on the car and despite Tesla's objections, they ran with it anyway.

They've got more than fair cause for a lawsuit. The lateness is irrelevant since BBC still show the episode worldwide to millions of people, so in effect they're still causing damage to Tesla's reputation.

The amount is irrelevant because $100,000 is nominal to both the BBC and to Tesla. TG generates way more revenue for the Beeb than that (indeed, Clarkson likely gets paid well in excess of that figure per year) and Tesla recently paid significantly more than that in fines to a Californian motor authority board. In fact, $100,000 is about the price of one Tesla Roadster...

Lastly, despite it's performance the Roadster gets pretty decent mileage, even on a track. How far did they claim they got, 55 miles? I once heard a quote that a Ferrari F40 uses one gallon every mile on a circuit. An F40 has a 26 gallon tank. So in TG test work, they'd be lucky to get more than 30 miles from it... I suspect a number of other cars they've tested would struggle to get more than 55 miles on the TG test track...

The reason Tesla are objecting to the mileage claims is because TG implied that it will only get 55 miles from a charge, regardless of what you do with it. Most owners report between 150-200 miles in their day to day driving, so 55 miles is obviously inaccurate...

Had you bothered to search for some of the facts of the lawsuit you'd see how many inaccuracies TG made about the car.

Neither car broke down.

Actually, one of the cars did have a vacuum pump problem for the brake servo, while this doesn't cause the brakes to fail it does make them much harder to operate.

Didn't they also complain when the episode first aired? BBC apologized and then Clarkson complained about the car again?

Top Gear is obviously an entertainment show, and not factual, but when you cross the line between extreme hyperbole/bias/opinion and actually staging failures it gets a bit dicey.

Entertainment or not, they shouldn't just make stuff up that makes a car look bad.

Jay
Actually, one of the cars did have a vacuum pump problem for the brake servo, while this doesn't cause the brakes to fail it does make them much harder to operate.

True, I phrased that badly. Neither car's brakes failed. The problem they did have with the car didn't quite warrant the dubbed-in grinding to a halt noises the video featured though :P

Had you bothered to search for some of the allegations of the lawsuit you'd see how many inaccuracies TG made about the car.

Neither car broke down.
The test was entirely scripted before TG had even got their hands on the car and despite Tesla's objections, they ran with it anyway.

ftfy

If this is a defamation case, which it seems like it is, then Tesla has to show TG lied and did so with the sole purpose to harm the reputation of the company, aka: malice.

I don't think TG lied about the performance of the car with the purpose to harm Tesla. There's an interesting post on this at The Truth About Cars in which previous articles, statements, and interviews given by Tesla personnel pretty much back up the claims TG made about that particular model.

Here

After reading that, I don't think anyone but Tesla would come to the conclusion that TG was unreasonable in their assessment. Furthermore, I don't think a judge/jury would award anything to Tesla b/c of defamation. This seems like a frivolous lawsuit.

Top Gear is obviously an entertainment show, and not factual.

Actually Top Gear is still classified by the BBC as factual, which kinda makes the whole show look a bit bad. But I agree they have crossed the line even for entertainment.

ftfy

If this is a defamation case, which it seems like it is, then Tesla has to show TG lied and did so with the sole purpose to harm the reputation of the company, aka: malice.

I don't think TG lied about the performance of the car with the purpose to harm Tesla. There's an interesting post on this at The Truth About Cars in which previous articles, statements, and interviews given by Tesla personnel pretty much back up the claims TG made about that particular model.

Here

After reading that, I don't think anyone but Tesla would come to the conclusion that TG was unreasonable in their assessment. Furthermore, I don't think a judge/jury would award anything to Tesla b/c of defamation. This seems like a frivolous lawsuit.

Well I think there are still some obvious factual errors mentioned in the show which TG knew were false (given the shot was staged). With the knowledge that such lie would harm Tesla I would tend to think that TG is already liable for malicious falsehood. Also the lawsuit isn't really about damages it's Tesla seeking vindication.

Though I would have to agree that it's prob not a wise move considering the popularity of the series in the UK...

Wouldn't just the knowledge of the statements being false be enough?

I'm suprised Clarkson is still a host on TG, he is clearly bias against some cars.

Telsa may have to show that their sales slumped after the show aired because viewers thought it could only do 88km/55mi on a single charge.

I'm suprised Clarkson is still a host on TG, he is clearly bias against some cars.

You're kidding? The man who once reviewed a Vauxhall by not saying anything for 7 minutes? Bias? Yup, that's part of his delivery. He's the first to admit his opinion is more than likely wrong, evident in his books when he refers to vehicles he has dismissed in print, only going on to be top sellers.

Telsa may have to show that their sales slumped after the show aired because viewers thought it could only do 88km/55mi on a single charge.

They were only a start-up company with approximately 140 cars sold. Their sales have only gone up since the show, they would have to prove that actual sales vs projected sales were affected, discounting the recession, other 'bad press', sales of hybrids etc etc etc.

What BrutherSuperior said, basically. Having seen the specific allegations filed by Tesla, and having watched the video again, I'm not sure that Tesla has much of a case even ignoring the TTAC article (though the Top Gear review parrots Tesla's own statements about the heat problem so closely that it might as well be word for word).

Also the lawsuit isn't really about damages it's Tesla seeking vindication.
They are seeking vindication, but they are seeking vindication for specific things that Top Gear didn't actually say. I'll get to this in a second.

You mean how many inaccuracies Tesla says Top Gear made about the car. Because what Tesla is saying Top Gear said and what Top Gear actually said in the review are two different things.

Because I just watched the review in question, and:
Neither car broke down.
They didn't say they broke down. They said one car overheated and the other car developed brake problems. For the former they even explicitly said it was still running, and they merely left it on the track to cool down.

They didn't say they ran out of charge. They said they "worked out" the battery life to be 55 miles. And specifically mentioned that they were basing that on track driving.

This is actually the closest point that Tesla has to actually build a case about, because of the scene of the car being pushed into the garage. But considering this is the same show that had an episode where one of the hosts tied a dead cow to the roof of a Camaro with the explicit implication of eating it later, it would be trivial to argue that the bit where they pushed the car into the garage was meant for comedic value.

True, I phrased that badly. Neither car's brakes failed.
Which is irrelevant, because they didn't say that the brakes had failed in the first place. They said specifically "its brakes had broken" on one car (which they did) and never said that the broken brakes made the car undriveable as a result. They just didn't take it back out on the track afterwards.

The reason Tesla are objecting to the mileage claims is because TG implied that it will only get 55 miles from a charge, regardless of what you do with it.
They did not. They mentioned that it should only get 55 miles from a charge specifically in relation to when you drive it on a track.

So:
They've got more than fair cause for a lawsuit.
They really don't. Tesla have taken statements made in the Top Gear review, and changed them around to better fit the lawsuit they are initiating, to the extent that some of the changed statements have completely different meaning than they did when originally said. Defamation cases become extremely hard to win if you base your case on implications and personal interpretations of statements rather than actual statements, and that is exactly what Tesla is doing.

Giving an opinion, whether it is right or wrong, is not defamation. BBC lawyers know this.

Secondly, the burden of proof is on Tesla to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that what was aired by the BBC was done for the purpose of harming the character of Tesla. Obviously it was not.

No way this goes against TG.

What probably happened was Elon has a few friends that are lawyers and he was complaining about the 'review' TG did on his car. His lawyer buddies then probably said, "why don't you file suit?"...so he did. Win or lose, lawyers still get paid.

Secondly, the burden of proof is on Tesla to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that what was aired by the BBC was done for the purpose of harming the character of Tesla. Obviously it was not.
Actually, English defamation laws are screwy about that. The BBC have to prove that the statements made on Top Gear weren't false, rather than Tesla having to prove that they were.

I think it's a fair lawsuit. You have to remember that Clarkson and the producers of Top Gear HATE electric and hybrid cars. And the one electric sports car they actually take around the track just happens to break down and run out of juice and essentially everything negative about other electric cars happens? Yeah right. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a stunt by Top Gear that just might get them into a lot of trouble if Tesla wins.

Hmmn it is a reasonable arguement however its been 2 years since the incident and now they finally bring up this small discrepency.

Common sense says, Tesla stop being complete 🤬 and get a life.

Law says thats missrepresentation however, i just expect it to be refered to the (forgotten the name its kinda the advertising standards but for tv) and for them just to get TG to appologise.

Now lets wait for Gee Wiz to sue for the stuff they lied about with that.

Back