Revolution Studios :: Extracurricular

Hullo all! The Photomode Tournament chugs on... and I'm in the semi-finals! And so for your viewing pleasure, I present my entry for the second round, for the theme of "500HP+ Club", a Victory Orange McLaren F1, racing around Nurburgring GP. There were a few other photos in this set, but I seem to have misplaced the ones I photoshopped up when choosing my entry, and have neither the time nor the motivation to re-photoshop them now.

But rather than just presenting a scanty one-photo update, I've thrown in a bonus photoshop experiment I made a few months ago playing with the weather effects of the game. It's not fantastic, but it looks pretty cool and I figure you guys might enjoy it! And so without further ado...

McLaren F1 @ Nürburgring GP

Wet Weather Photoshop Experiment - BONUS

Click for full size.

Moglet - Thanks Mog, glad you enjoyed the update! The light trails are something I'm quite fond of... I've been experimenting with them a bit more and I think they look pretty cool, so long as they're kept subtle. :)
zambuca - Thanks, for both your comment and for being a great contest in the tourney! The Esprit is a wonderful car, and has such a cool shape, you should definitely try shooting it again. I can't really remember when I applied to the pics when I shot them, they would have a subtle noise filter. The softness is just down to the muted colour palette though, I think!
Yui-san - Thanks! Glad you like them! And also very glad you noticed the headlight details... a reasonable amount of Photoshop wizardry went into them! :D The QoS update is on the backburner I'm afraid, half of it is 100% complete but I haven't even shot the other half, I simply have not gotten around to organising a time for my friend and I to sit down with a couple Alfas and the Aston to shoot the rest of the set! It will come though, don't worry! I may end up posting it in two parts. See how we go. I'll go check out your update now!

Love the Mclaren picture, but the wet photoshop, the sprays are a bit too small and gritty. The reflection is perfect though.

Finally an update :D .Well deserved semi final spot Rev brilliant Entry.
I see you joined the Wet shopped shots club.It looks a bit bright for a rainy day but the reflections are spot on 👍

That F1 pic is golden! If you ever publish a real calendar I'm gonna buy it immediately 👍

Ferrari in the wet: Reminds me of the slippery track test during my drivers license classes - only difference: I was in a Fiat Punto :D Seriously, I like how it looks and agree with Gtuned regarding the effects.

PS: I'm soooo looking forward to the tournament match between you and ceiling_fan - two of my favorite GT5 photo wizards!

Great McLaren shot, nice wet Monza pic too. 👍 I like how the F1 is centered somewhat, fits the car well with its central driving position.

SMFan - Thanks :)
Gtuned - Thanks Gtuned! Thanks for the feedback - the wet 'shop was only a half hour job, when I get some free time I'll have to go back and improve it some. Just threw it up here because I figured it'd add something new rather than just posting a Tourney shot you've all seen before! :P
sems4arsenal - Thanks sems! Glad you like them!
zambuca - Haha, thanks! A calendar eh? That's not a bad idea... :P I'm looking forwards to the match too... although I'm pretty nervous about it! Hopefully my pic is good enough... should be a great match regardless!
Grand Prix - Thanks GP! Mmm, centering the F1 in the shot like that gave the whole shot a nice symmetrical feeling which I really liked, and is the primary reason I picked out for the tourney out of all the others from the set. Glad you like it!
F458 Italia - Thanks :)
TVR&FF - Thank you TVR!
rpanico14 - Thanks! It's true, the F1 had an awful lot more work put into it, the wet shot was really more a bonus morsel for you all :D

That McLaren is terrifyingly gorgeous, especially the color toning. Great work with the grass, it may sound like a small detail but imagine how silly the image would look with the neon grass that Nurb GP normally has! I look forward to facing you in this next round and hopefully I can at least put up a fight :D You are certainly one of my biggest inspirations (ever since that Vanquish at Trial Mountain pic you did in GT4 :D)

A small update of the best shots from my GT by Citroen shoot at Toscana for the Green Cars theme of the 2.0 Tournament. The Tournament entry was sadly defeated by ceiling_fan's shot which admittedly encapsulated the theme much better than my own! Still, I think some of the shots are pretty nice so I've uploaded them for your viewing pleasure!

GT by Citroën @ Toscana

Click for full size.

ceiling_fan - Hehe, thanks! And you did much more than put up a fight... well done! Aww, I'm flattered that you remember the old Vanquish set, that was one of my favourites too, back in the day!

What else can I say Rev...it's simply brilliant. :) Love the mood and the angles of these shot. Shot 1 and 3 are my favorite. I spy some jagged edges on shot 2 though (It's still a great shot!)

Last edited:
Very nice shots, I like the first one. 👍 Is it just me or do they have an apocalyptic sort of feel? :lol:

I have to Question the Choice of shot Rev it is the most Beautiful to look at of the set but The angle in my opinion doesn't fit the theme with the Yellow desert-ish Toscana look .

As for the rest of the set :bowdown: :bowdown: .Go get the bronze medal though

The GT looks better than ever in those photos! :bowdown:

EDIT: I think you're right sems...#2 and #3 are my favorites!

great shots of the GT! Nice angles and tones.👍
But I somehow struggle with the exposure or sharpness. Something looks odd in those pics.:ill:
Can't really tell you what, but maybe my eyes are just jealous:lol:

I don't like this update as much as the other ones, but It's still a very, very good update.
I like the first two shots of the GT the most.

Well Done, Dude! :)

Yui-San - Thanks Yui! Glad you like the set. I'm aware that some of the shots have a few jaggies here and there (except for the first!), I pretty much applied the colour and lighting filters to the shots and then decided which would be worth cleaning up further as a competition entry. That's the reason for the jaggies and some colour banding in the second shot! :)
Grand Prix - Thank you! Haha, now that you mention it, they do have a bit of an apocalyptic look to them... perhaps that was some sort of subconscious political comment on green cars and how the world is still ending despite us all having switched to electric and hydrogen cars etc... or maybe I just liked a more dramatic look :P Thanks!
grrlpurple - Thank you! Glad you like them!
sems4arsenal - Thanks sems, I hear you on the location choice, in retrospect a much 'greener' location would have probably done me better in the poll! I shall do my best to get the Bronze!
ashes619 - Thanks! It's a pretty cool car, a bit unnerving to drive though due to the totally weird noise it makes!
zambuca - Thanks zambuca!
bmxmitch - Haha, I admit I did go a bit dramatic on these, they were taken with the Cool filter and then adjusted to have some crazy tones and contrasts, usually I eschew all filters and do all my colour work in PS! It was something a bit different :)
20832 - Thank you! I'll bring some better stuff soon :lol:

Sorry man! :P

I really liked your shot though, the combo of the cool filter and heavy vignetting looks really good. The banding the filters cause isn't too bad in the entry (though maybe you fixed it ;)) I love the light trail on the brake lights! I noticed that in the Esprit set too. Color toning is excellent as always, blurring the line between realism and eye-popping color contrast.

Update time! Three HDRs of a sexy little Italian number at San Galgano... enjoy! These are some leftovers of the shoot I was doing for my 2.0 Tourney Bronze Match entry - hopefully the one I did choose makes the cut! 8-)

Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione @ San Galgano Abbey

Click for full size.

ceiling_fan - Haha, no need to apologise, you beat me fair and square! Glad you like the set - and yes, I did fix the banding in the Tourney entry. :P I'm quite fond of my light trails, I'll have to keep doing them 8-)
ImaRobot - Thanks! I'll keep the sharpness in mind for next time :)
TVR&FF - Thank you TVR! I quite liked it as well, looks like a spaceship or some otherworldly craft... :D

I like shot 1 best, even if the angle is pretty common ;) I normally don't like the stock wheels but I think they came out well in this shoot. Also liking the overall warm tones and relatively subtle HDR processing.

Like ceiling_fan mentioned above, the angles are common, yet you are still able to make the shots look absolutely magnificent! :) Great job!

Love shot 1 the most... it looks like a car advertisement (those very good ones that don't need any text to explain how awesome the car is... because the picture itself simply speaks for itself ;))

Looking great as always Rev! I really have to visit that place sometimes, the background looks too real! 👍

Back