Getting back into GT4

• Thread starter brambos
  • 64 comments
I don't know about any of you but I have a backward compatible PS3 and when I got it played a lot of GT4. I recently (due to PSN being down) started playing it again and I'm glad I did.

It truly illustrates how poor GT5 is aside from graphics. When I ask GT4 to output in HD its pretty appealing. In fact there are details missing in GT5 on tracks like High Speed Ring I didn't notice until now.

Here is my rundown:
1. Generally its funny to see that I have collected the same cars in GT5 that I had in GT4 and in HD they look about the same.

2. The AI by far is harder to beat in GT4. Plus I like that you can make competition harder if you choose.

3. A-Spec Vs B-Spec is better in GT4. I can swap out during endurance races plus I can fast forward

4. Tuning-I feel like they have a lot more flexibility in GT4 besides the ability to SAVE 3 varying set-ups. That is so annoying that its not in GT5.

5. Someone mentioned here that it (GT4) credited you for having GT3 liscenses. I remember that now. Why not in GT5 from GT5P?

6. More tracks. I missed driving MidField and Apricot Hill. Getting Daytona was not a huge win on that case.

Because GT5 takes so many elements from GT4 but misses on so many fun elements from GT4 its a real let down. GT5 has some nice features but for the time it took and that it just feels less "fun" I think I will be spending more time playing GT4 to get my racing fix. And use GT5 just for online play.

I haven't stopped playing GT4 since I started it. BTW - FWIW the DFGT works great with the PS2/GT4 combo. Okay, so I play NASCAR, Ferrari Challenge, and GT5 too, but my PS2 is always loaded with GT4 and ready to go. I've got 12 stealths ( 3 of each ) and over 50 M in the bank right now. I've got tons of great cars TO PLAY WITH and amazing tracks like El Capitan, Costa d'amalfi, etc, etc, and AI that can be tailored to taste. As for the original and REAL B-Spec BOB - he stands at well over 9000 B-Spec points which makes him a killer on the track when it comes to making money for me. Well, I could go on and on . . . I love GT5 - reminds me of that hot GF I had that promised to put out but kept me waiting excited. What I miss in GT5 I find in GT4.
And now I'm off to cruise El Capitan in my Speed 8. Just to warm up before I take the stealth 787b to the Ring. . .

Last edited:
At least you've only the the PAL version to deal with. From what I understand, PAL is easier than NTSC by something like 10 seconds.

Yes. So they say. Still waiting on your guide for mission 34. Hahaha.

I suppose i will still be waiting when GT6 comes out. No worries.
How you doing old friend?

I do really miss GT4..

All the races there was, and then sorta half completing the main events, rallies and the likes, and realizing there were tons more manufacturer's races to be getting on with! 👍

I always remember the extremely poor PT Cruiser I bought as my first car.. :yuck:

Yes. So they say. Still waiting on your guide for mission 34. Hahaha.

Yea, I was gonna write one years ago. Ha ha, I'll get right on it! :lol:

I suppose i will still be waiting when GT6 comes out. No worries.
How you doing old friend?

Good. And you? Still driving trucks or something?

Thanks fellas,
You've all gotten me excited enough to dust 4 off. I am glad I kept a PS2 around for moments like these.

The "Standard Cars" in GT5 look a hell of a lot better in GT4 (they were made for a Scart Lead not HDMI cable). I've been doing a new GT4 game for over a week now because of the tiresome pointless chore GT5 has become and loving it. Unless GT5 improves 10 fold then I will only go back now and again for a quick dabble.

There's no other way of putting it: compared to the monumental GT4, the only way to describe GT5 is an utter failure, a wasted effort and a trainwreck of a game.

Huge 👍 to you sir.

To be honest, I don't get how people say they enjoy GT5 more than they enjoy GT4. The list of things that are wrong/annoying in GT5 just doesn't seem to end for me:

- Lack of A-Spec events.
- B-Spec events obligatory.
- Can't speed up B-Spec events.
- Can't speed up replays.
- Can't change wheels on standard cars.
- Limited choice of wheels for premium cars.
- Lack of memorable tracks from GT4 (El Capitan, Costa di Amalfi, etc.).
- Exp. system. :banghead:
- Can't buy a car even if I have the money.
- Awful AI.
- Not being able to repeatedly win prize cars.
- Photomode system seems awful compared to GT4. :/
- ^ And standard cars have a very limited photo system.

And my main gripe of the game:

- Having to use the sticks because the button I loved so much in GT4 have somehow lost sensibility from the PS2 to the PS3. Which results in my driving being slower than it could potentially be. :mad:

Not to mention some things that could have been much better if implemented correctly, as the paint system. As of today, I believe I have grown tired of GT5 after playing with it only for... a month? I have raged so hard at this game that is not even funny. In retrospective, the only things I can complain about GT4 are Mission 34, and the rally events. But I can't see myself playing GT4 again, I'm afraid the change will be so much that I'm going to have a heart attack, just like when I went from PS3 PES2011 to its PS2 counterpart. :scared:

I still have my PS2 (good idea not to sell it!), but the joystick's sticks feel weird. It's like they are sticky or something.

By the way, this is my list of what I think should be improved in GT5 for it to be a great game like GT4 is:

- Return all the cars missing from GT4
- Return all the tracks missing from GT4.
- Add more A-spec events.
- Be able to win prize cars repeteadly.
- B-Spec not necessary to achieve 100% completition.
- Be able to change rims on standard cars, bring back wheels of the day, add each wheel to the Premium cars wheel selection.
- Remove the experience system.
- Improve the paint system, it isn't so hard to think of a good system, guys.
- Remove waiting time for Special Events! (Had to wait like a minute before actually starting a NASCAR event). Seems like PD didn't learn from GT4's Mission 34.
- Bring back the old photomode system along with the new one! That way people can choose which one they actually want to use.

That would pretty much make a very enjoyable GT5 for me. 👍

Last edited:
Man I feel sorry for you guys, waiting so long just to be disappointed. You guys gotta give fm3 a chance, its a fantastic game. And if you have XBL it adds so much more.

This video sums it up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmjU6ONhaNk

Edit: Back when I played fm2 I rented gt4 for a week giving it a chance. I still thought the physics of fm2 and over all game was miles ahead of gt4. Gt4 is still a great game but fm2 is a lot better IMHO.

Last edited:
Huge 👍 to you sir.

To be honest, I don't get how people say they enjoy GT5 more than they enjoy GT4. The list of things that are wrong/annoying in GT5 just doesn't seem to end for me::

i still rotate between all the gt series. i will say gt4 is probably the best for endless gameplay. i love gt4 but gt5 isnt a failure. i very much enjoy gt5 (though im pretty much finished). look at it this way, gt2 was built off of gt1. IMO gt2 was much better in all ways compaired to gt1. gt4, was built off of gt3. again, IMO gt4 was WAY better than gt3. i can only assume gt6 will obviously be built off of gt5 and will be much better. the introduction of ferrari alone puts gt5 in 1st place for me..not to mention the premium and scenic background graphics. gt5 is a work in progress but in no way was their time put to use correctly. if i sat there and played gt5 everytime i played video games, yes, i would get very burnt out on it for the lack of a-spec events. since i rotate, that means i only give gt5 20% of my time. with the seasonal events and endless cars still to buy and tune (alone takes me forever lol) allows me to see the positive side of the game. same goes for all the series. putting it out there...the menus and things that irritate people on 5 irritate me most on 3. there will be upsides and downsides to every game. one of the things that really irritates me in gt4 for example is the lack of non-japanese cars in either of the used car sections. it really depends on the individual and what they are looking to get out of the game. a lot of things i wished they had in gt4 (when i was playing it daily b4 gt5p) ended up being in gt5. i love building a collection just as much as racing. some love simply racing and dont care about building a collection

Last edited:
Well I have to agree with what many have said so far. I have just recently purchased GT5 and I put GT4 away. After playing GT5 for about 3 days...GT4 came right back out. I just don't think GT5 is anywhere near as fun as GT4. There are also so many features I loved in GT4 that are not in GT5. This whole premium vs. standard bit in GT5 is really annoying me.

I'm trying to be open minded but so far GT4 is a much better game in my opinion.

I just set up my PS2 again to give GT4 another go after all those years.
Gonna try it this evening 👍

I didn't even own a PS2 'til yesterday, now got one, my DFP and a new card. This was inspired by SmallHorses' post about his achievements and the remarkable spreadsheet he provided.

While I have nowhere near the skill required to do the same thing, I'm thinking about other starting strategies/challenges. Will probably get another card, gold the first two licenses and do some missions then keep that as a template of sorts.

When I plan a new strategy (eg, 200pt, bone stock, fewest purchases, least money spent) just buy another card, copy the template and get going.

As has been repeated ad nauseum, the brilliance, the genius behind GT4 is the variety in gameplay.

EDIT: Oh yeah, still don't have a TV. Soon as that's sorted will be contributing to this forum again.

I wish I had my PS2 :( I miss GT4.. so bored with GT5 :/
Intact this weekend I'm gonna see if I can find one and GT4, altogether shouldnt be more than £45-50 altogether or would it be cheaper?

I traded GT4 a few years back, seduced by the customisation and drifting of NFS:Cabron and the realism of ToCA3. It didn't take long to notice that GT4 fills a niche that the other games couldn't - it's a true car lover's game. Having bought a new copy, I had no luck getting it to boot in my PS2 Slim. Odd, I thought, as the Slim played the original GT4 I had traded with no problems. I bought a fat refurb for $30 and was thrilled to unbox it and find it's a SCPH-35001 - the GT3 Edition with iLink. Everything works fine and I can't wait to unlock the Chapparal cars again.

AndersonG22
Man I feel sorry for you guys, waiting so long just to be disappointed. You guys gotta give fm3 a chance, its a fantastic game. And if you have XBL it adds so much more.

This video sums it up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmjU6ONhaNk

Edit: Back when I played fm2 I rented gt4 for a week giving it a chance. I still thought the physics of fm2 and over all game was miles ahead of gt4. Gt4 is still a great game but fm2 is a lot better IMHO.

The game that has super driving aids that can't be disabled. :-/

I'm thinking of going back to GT4. I haven't played GT5 for a month, I believe. At least not for 2 weeks. The problem with GT4 is that my TV looks "fuzzy" when using my PS2. Something that didn't happen back when I only had my PS2 connected, instead of my PS2 and PS3 at the same time. I really want to go back and write a race report.

you should get the hd cables and play gt4 in 1080i , it makes a slight but enjoyable difference

I believe I read somewhere that Dan Greenawalt himself said the game had a driving aid that couldn't be turned off.

AndersonG22
You can disable tcs, abs, stability control, auto brake, and suggested line. You can drive with no aids at all.

But the abs sucks forever.Indeed you cannot off it by any degree.

I haven't played GT4 in so long. I still have my PS2 hooked up. My old game has so many cars in its garage I can't even keep track of which ones are there (since I re-did championships over and over again to get the credits, hoping to collect all the cars in the game) and there are no more races left. I'm gonna see what I can do in a new career! Doing those Driving Missions over again will be a pain but who cares.

But the abs sucks forever.Indeed you cannot off it by any degree.

Do you mean even when abs is turned off its still on? I used to hotlap on fm2 with a wheel and I used abs and tcs. When I tried to run without abs my front tires would lock up under braking if I turned the wheels a little bit. I couldnt trail brake without abs, I needed abs to keep my front tires from locking up. I know what Im talking about, I stoped hotlapping after fm2 and started drifting in fm3. I used the controller and no assists, it was easy to lock all the wheels up with no abs and extend your drift. You could fine tune you brakes in all the fm games to get the most out of then with or without abs.

If you want I could direct you to my lap times on forzamotorsport.net, Im not bullcraping you.

Did I accidentally wander into the Forza forums or something? I could have sworn this is the GT4 forum.

AndersonG22
Do you mean even when abs is turned off its still on? I used to hotlap on fm2 with a wheel and I used abs and tcs. When I tried to run without abs my front tires would lock up under braking if I turned the wheels a little bit. I couldnt trail brake without abs, I needed abs to keep my front tires from locking up. I know what Im talking about, I stoped hotlapping after fm2 and started drifting in fm3. I used the controller and no assists, it was easy to lock all the wheels up with no abs and extend your drift. You could fine tune you brakes in all the fm games to get the most out of then with or without abs.

If you want I could direct you to my lap times on forzamotorsport.net, Im not bullcraping you.

I remember Gt4 doesn't have any option about abs,it's always on in a strong degree,even you drive a monster and press a hard break after 190mph the abs will work perfectly prevent any wheel lock. I just can present Orz about it...
By the way,do you guy ever play Gt4...

bmxman
Well I have to agree with what many have said so far. I have just recently purchased GT5 and I put GT4 away. After playing GT5 for about 3 days...GT4 came right back out. I just don't think GT5 is anywhere near as fun as GT4. There are also so many features I loved in GT4 that are not in GT5. This whole premium vs. standard bit in GT5 is really annoying me.

I'm trying to be open minded but so far GT4 is a much better game in my opinion.

Just played GT5 for 3 days?Don't you feel the physics is much better than GT4,especially in tyers,it has different pressure and enable more desirable drifting. Hard core guys would not be satisfied with GT4.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just played GT5 for 3 days?Don't you feel the physics is much better than GT4,especially in tyers,it has different pressure and enable more desirable drifting. Hard core guys would not be satisfied with GT4.
I agree that the physics are far more superior than in Gran Turismo 4 - obviously. But as far as I'm concerned, the gameplay is nowhere as fun and as ''free'' as in the previous games. And at the end of the day, it's what matters. Not the fancy graphics, not the exotic cars and none of that other nonsense, but the gameplay.

At least you've only the the PAL version to deal with. From what I understand, PAL is easier than NTSC by something like 10 seconds.

God that was such a bear to beat!!! I don't think I drove that much off road in the rally events.

I remember when I finally did it I damn near ran out side to do scream at the moon and do cartwheels to celebrate.

I've actually been toying around with GT4 lately and have a new game started. I'm just trying to figure out what car to start off with. (w/ out the GT3 bonus, just w 10k in hand)

Back