Crazed_Coupe's Review Of The Logitech G27 Wheel

Crazed_Coupe
Let me start off by saying that I got the Logitech G27 wheel about a month and a half ago from a local Fry's store for $330 with tax, so being that I've used it every day for roughly two months I feel I can give it a fairly accurate review. I also would like to let you all know that this review is obviously completely opinionated, so please don't take offense or feel the need to correct me on any topic because like I said it is my take on the wheel and its accessories. 👍

Wheel:

I really like the look and feel of the real leather which is wrapped around the wheel along with the comfortable humps located on the actual wheel which fit your hands very nicely while driving/racing. I think Logitech did a fantastic job by incorporating the real leather on the G27 but the only thing that worries me about it is the stitching that was done to attach the leather to the wheel which at times does worry me a bit because it doesn't look all that sturdy although it's hasn't shown any signs of giving out just yet.

The center of the wheel it constructed with a thin metal which seems to be very durable although that characteristic of the wheel isn't all that important to your driving experience but nevertheless needed in the design of it.

There are two proper paddle shifters made out of the same metal as the center construction of the wheel which are located on the back of either side of the wheel. They provide very realistic paddle shifting and also seem to be highly durable.

There are three buttons located on either side of the wheel which unfortunately cannot be assigned to do what you want them to do on GT5 because the wheel is not officially supported like the Driving Force Gran Turismo for example but these buttons can be programmed in other racing simulators such as rFactor. The buttons do work to perform some basic actions in GT5 but a majority of them don't do squat and they can sometimes get in the way while driving/racing.

There is a neat little digital tachometer located in the middle of the wheel which displays the RPM you're at by the lights coming together to meet in the middle. I.E.: Green meaning low RPM, yellow meaning mid range RPM, and red meaning high range RPM. You will not find yourself looking down at the tachometer very often to know when to change gears although it is a nice little feature.

The helical gears located within the G27 provide very clean and quite rotation of the wheel while the dual motor force feedback provide excellent feedback which also will simulate traction loss, weight shift, and road feel. The wheels force feedback strength cannot be changed under the "G27" title in the options menu rather under a different wheel which GT5 picks it up as. The wheel will also rotate two and a half times each way which makes for a 900 degree wheel.

The mounting of the wheel is a very simple yet effective idea with two clamps underneath the wheel which will clamp and tighten onto any surface that is no more than about an inch and a half thick, any thicker than that and you might run into some trouble.

Stick Shifter:

The stick shifter itself has a hard plastic ball on top with the layout of the gears along with a metal shaft which goes down into the mechanical work of the shifter. The stick seems to be very durable and able to take a trashing of being thrown around into different gears. To go into reverse you must press down on the stick shifter and go into sixth gear. The bottom part of the shifter right below the ball on top is wrapped loose leather as well.

The button layout is exactly like a DS3 accept the four red buttons which cannot be assigned, although some of them do work with GT5 to perform basic actions.

The mounting is very similar to the wheel mounting with two clamps that can be clamped and tightened to any surface no more than about an inch and a half thick along with a screw like mechanism to insure that the H shifter is secured to that particular surface.

Pedals:

The pedals are constructed of a highly durable steel material that can defiantly withstand a long and hard race. The pedals themselves can be adjusted to move a slight bit to the left or right to fit your driving style. The pedals come with a brake, gas, and a clutch which all have different resistance levels just like a car would in real life which makes for a realistic experience.

The pedals have a nice texturized surface right in front of the pedals to insure your feet don't slip and slide.

The pedals also have a "carpet catcher" design underneath them to insure they don't slip and slide around while aggressively using them.

I hope you guys enjoyed the in depth review on the Logitech G27 Wheel and if you have any questions about it feel free to let me know! 👍

f23b08%7C0d26_11680-logitechg27span.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the review. I'm just about to buy a wheel and this helped me choose the g27.
I do however have a few questions I hope you or others with a g27 can help with.

Which games and systems have you tried it with?
what are your thougths on PS2 functionality? (If you've tried it, that is)
Apart from gt5, which games benefit the most from a wheel?
Which games support the clutch?
What future titles support the wheel?

Hope you can help.

Last edited:
Thanks for the review. I'm just about to buy a wheel and this helped me choose the g27.
I do however have a few questions I hope you or others with a g27 can help with.

Which games and systems have you tried it with?
what are your thougths on PS2 functionality? (If you've tried it, that is)
Apart from gt5, which games benefit the most from a wheel?
Which games support the clutch?
What future titles support the wheel?

Hope you can help.

1. rFactor and GT5. I know this wheel will work with quite a few more titles but I personally haven't.

2. I've never tried it on PS2 unfortunately but I do know it will work with it.

3. Pretty much any game that supports the wheel or at least work with the wheel will defiantly enhance your experience and make the game a whole lot more enjoyable.

4. Any game that supports the wheel or at least work with the wheel like I said will more than likely support the clutch. I.E.: DiRT3, GT5, and rFactor from my experience.

5. Considering the G27 came out quite a long while back it will more than likely work with upcoming titles such as GT6.

I hope I could help you out a bit and on one last note, do not settle for less and go with a cheaper wheel such as the DFGT because you will not be as satisfied.

I hope I could help you out a bit and on one last note, do not settle for less and go with a cheaper wheel such as the DFGT because you will not be as satisfied.

Thanks for taking your time to answer my questions. I just ordered the wheel, and might check up on my own questions once I get it.
And is the clutch usable in gt5? Didn't think it was until you said so. :drool:

Thanks for taking your time to answer my questions. I just ordered the wheel, and might check up on my own questions once I get it.
And is the clutch usable in gt5? Didn't think it was until you said so. :drool:

Yes it works fine with this game. Some argue that it isn't fully supported, which it isn't but it works just fine!

You made a good choice by choosing this wheel without a doubt. Let me know how you like it when it comes in. 👍

Great review.
I'm buying a G27 soon, just can't find it anywhere...

You can more than likely find a few at your local electronic store but some online sites offer some pretty good prices on them at time. I bought mine in person so if anything was wrong with the wheel I could bring it back the same day even though Logitech has excellent customer support from what I hear.

i have a g25 and know that the buttons are configurable just that you have to use the driving force pro instead. i expect this would work with a g27 as the wheels are almost identical.

Back