Four Hours: The Nürburgring 4Hr Companion & Competition

• Thread starter Famine
  • 989 comments
This thread makes an interesting read indeed. I have only done 2 of the endurances races so far and since the update, the N4 is one I'm really looking forward to doing (having a very small baby means the option to pit, save and come back later is imperative!). I'm thinking of attempting (or at least starting) this tonight and the thread has given me some good ideas of cars to try.

I guess testing first is the key, I don't want a cakewalk but given this is my first attempt, I don't want to spend 4 hours and lose by a few seconds. Maybe I'll take Speccy out for a quick run!

Has the S2000 GT1 '04 lost it's 6th-lap-of-certain-death since the 2.0 update? It just beat me*... It did seem to ahve a slow lap just before it pitted, but not as slow as it used to be. I'll still write up the race once I've had lunch.

*Well, I won due to the cross-the-line-first-after-4-hours-bug but it was ahead of me.

The cars do still have a craplap, but it might not be as significant any more. I know the Yellowbird used to have a catastrophic third lap, failing even at the first hairpin, but now it only goes nippleskyward in the latter half of the lap (spinning repeatedly through from Eschbach onwards). The AEM S2000 still has a sixth-lap-of-lose too.

Currently racing with a stock N24 GTR. 1 second ahead after lap one. See you at the first stop.

UPDATE 1:

First lap done. Got first

UPDATE 2:

Thirsty at lap 3. This is a good drink. Tyres are Racing Hard, no Unamused Turbo or Audi I'm not at Le ManS

UPDATE 3:

Pitted first, got out 4th 1 minute behind. Let's see when the new Coldplay CD comes out.

UPDATE 4:

Pitted first again, got out second 1 minute behind. Maybe i'll do it again. And with Plus, the weekend starts on Friday! Oh, and I am crash a lot more then in the beginning.

UPDATE 5:

Suspended race at 2:40, raced more this morning and after a great pit strategy (after being 40 seconds behind, i got 20 second ahead), i got first! 25 seconds ahead.

Last edited:
Looking at the leaderboards for category records I reckon it'll be hard to beat any of them, if anyone does I don't think it'll be by much. Some really good results in there, well done everyone!

Still not decided on the next car I'll use for this race. Everyone I try is either too good or not good enough. :grumpy:

Prius TC at the Nordschleife 4 hours.

picture.php

I decided to take the Prius of pinkness to the Nordschliefe for the 4 hour event. My Prius (193bhp/1035kg PP 467) was stock apart from Racing softs. I can't recall the complete line up but the main opposition was an S2000 GT1 '04 and an HPA Audi TT in a rather garish orange. It's beyond me how people can paint their cars in such hideous colours. You'd never catch me doing anything like that....

I didn't take notes for the first 5 laps, then forgot to save the replay, so here's what I recall.

1 - 9'11.xxx - I managed to overtake a few cars and I think I finished the first lap in about 7th

2 - 9'08.4xx - Battery power ran out half way through the 2nd lap. It then charged itself up for a minute, then gave me power for a minute before being depleted again. This cycle was repeated for most of the race (worked out a new plan part way through lap 21. If only I'd done that earlier...)

3 - 9'09.598 -

4 - 9'20.381 - Tyres started going off and I had a couple of off-track moments.

5 - 9'22.037 - Pitted at the end of lap 5. The Prius of pinkness used a massive 1 litre for the first 5 laps, so I didn't take on any fuel! I came out of the pits in 5th place and was 51 seconds down on the leader.

My notes start now

6 - 9'28.437 - Another couple of AI pitted and I ended up in 3rd, 26 seconds down.

7 - 9'08.766 - The Mines Skyline and the Nismo 350Z got past me at the end of the lap leaving me back in 5th again. Gap was now 39 seconds.

8 - 9'07.817 - I managed to get back past both the Mines and the 350Z, but they got back past me along Dottinger hohe. I had a max on 143 battery assisted, (130 with no battery) so they could just breeze past. Still 5th, now 55 seconds down.

9 - 9'19.937 - Tyres going off again, but managed to get past the Mines again and then I had a crash at Adenaur Forst. The Mines got back past along the straight yet again. I needed to cut down on the off-track moments if I was going to win this. Still 5th, 1'14 down.

10 - 9'21.329 - 2nd pitstop. Even though I hadn't taken on any fuel at the first stop, I was still only able to put 1 litre in. I didn't bother. It would seem that the Prius TC uses absolutley no fuel whatsover even though, due to the CVT gearbox, the engine is constantly at 5000rpm! Came out still in 5th, 50 seconds down. The S2000 was abvioulsy using the same 5 lap strategy I was.

11 - 9'27.174 - I came out of the pits just behind the 380RS Superleggera. I got him just before Flugplatz. That left me in 4th and was no 1 minute behind the S2000.

12 - 9'02.234 - :eek: Where did that lap come from? My previous best of 9'07 was slashed in this lap. I can only think that the battery was powering me at crucial bits. I don't recall the lap itself being all that special. Someone pitted (didn't see who) and I was now in 3rd, 1'15 down. I was moving up the places but was still losing time to the leading S2000 GT1.

13 - 9'09.360 - Still 3rd, although the Nismo 350Z appeared and overtook me just after the start, but I outbraked him into the first corner. 1'28 down now :(

14 - 9'10.694 - Deja vu with above, but now 1'41 down :ouch:

15 - 9'18.072 - 3rd pit. Still no fuel used so none filled up, just another new set of racing softs. The fronts are toast by the end of the 5th lap, rears could do the whole race without being changed... I passed the HPA TT in the pits and am now up to 2nd. 1'50 down :grumpy: and thinking of qutting...

16 - 9'26.351 - Get to the first split and the gap is now 2'10. Was seriously thinking about pressing quit when I noticed I gained a few seconds on the S2000 GT1. Maybe the race was about to turn in my favour. The splits kept on coming down as he did 1 lap too many on his tyres. At the line, I was 1'27 down and he was still in the pits! This was my chance. At the first split on the next lap, the gap was 6 seconds. The race was back on. Possibly.

17 - 9'06.585 - The lap after my pit was always my best lap, and this lap was no different, but the gap to the leader still went from 6 seconds to 22! I obviously wasn't going to win this on pace then...

18 - 9'10.483 - Nothing of note here except the gap went out to 43 seconds. He was just rubbing it in now. :(

19 - 9'10.428 - The gap now goes out to 58 seconds. I'm still in 2nd, but the HPA TT is now right behind me.

20 - 9'20.726 - The TT came past, putting me back down to 3rd, although I get him back in the pits at the end of the lap. The S2000 didn't pit so the gap went out to 1'48. Back to not looking so good again.

21 - 9.29.717 - Only lost 2 seconds this lap. I've now worked out that I can keep the battery available by just easing off the throttle before braking. Taking it easy on downhill sections helps too. I also noticed that 75% throttle charges the battery too, so I change the way I've been driving. Example, when going along the Dottinger hohe, get the speed up to about 140, then use part throttle, speed is maintained (just) but battery is charging up instead of being used! So, at the expense of losing 3mph off my top speed, battery is topped up more for when it's needed

22 - 8'56.254 - And there we go. Slight change in the driving style gets me a new fastest lap 6 seconds ahead of my previous best! S2000 GT1 pits this lap, and I overtake whn he's still in the pits. I have the lead!

23 - 9'06.146 - Tyres are really only good for 1 balls out lap, but that's still a decent lap time. 33 seconds in the lead. Is that going to be enough?

24 - 9'05.392 - Another decnt lap time as the new driving style is still proving it's worth by having battery power available throughout the whole lap. 16 seconds in the lead!

25 - 9'11.675 - Tyres going off, and this was going to be a 6 lap stint! No hope to hold off the S2000 for much longer. We pass the line into the last lap with him 1 second behind.

26 - Unknown time - He passes along the straight, but I dive straight back past into the first corner. I now need to take some "creative" Schumacher-esque lines for the last lap, but it was to be all in vain. I hold him off until Bergwerk, where I ran wide and he gets past on the inside. Gutted. :( Just cruised round the rest of the lap.

He crossed the line before the 4 hours were up and started his 27th lap. He was clearly the winner, so even though the game said I won due to a bug, it was a hollow "victory".

Now I just need to drive like I did for the last few laps, for the whole race, and try and sort out the tyre wear, and I'll be back!

Oh, and I took on the grand total of 0 litres of fuel for the 4 hour race, and my fuel tank remained full. Something wrong there, methinks.

Last edited:

picture.php

I decided to take the Prius of pinkness to the Nordschliefe for the 4 hour event. My Prius (193bhp/1035kg PP 467) was stock apart from Racing softs. I can't recall the complete line up but the main opposition was an S2000 GT1 '04 and an HPA Audi TT in a rather garish orange. It's beyond me how people can paint their cars in such hideous colours. You'd never catch me doing anything like that....

I'm gonna try this race with the CR-Z next time

Nice report Daan. Not too sure I'm in love with the colour you chose but that's irrelevant.

Interesting find about the battery charging. I wonder if this technique applies to other EVs.

I'll have a chance next week for a run and have lined up my custom bodged Stealth Silvia. It will need power limiting and a nice set of SS to not run away with it but driving it today on-line inspired me for an attempt at around 300hp.

picture.php

That is exactly the color I had planned to slosh on my PTC when we yanks finally get the DLC.

I am slightly deflated seeing it's already been done, but then again, when people see me online maybe they'll think I'm daan and they will fear me. mua-hahahaha! :lol:

Nice report Daan. Not too sure I'm in love with the colour you chose but that's irrelevant.

Interesting find about the battery charging. I wonder if this technique applies to other EVs.

I'll have a chance next week for a run and have lined up my custom bodged Stealth Silvia. It will need power limiting and a nice set of SS to not run away with it but driving it today on-line inspired me for an attempt at around 300hp.

It works on the CR-Z, not sure about the other vehicles though

That is exactly the color I had planned to slosh on my PTC when we yanks finally get the DLC.

I think a lot of people had the same idea, as until I'd seen Daan had done it, that was my plan too. I'm going for a different neon now.

Like the race report though. Sounds fun in the Prius, so I may try that first unless I get a particular desire to punt a neon Miata around.

Will get my first chance at GT5 in weeks tomorrow so might have a go...

Well I said I’d have a go after being inspired by this thread so here goes for my 1st go at this event and 1st write up. I had to use the RX-8 as I own one and no one in here as used it as far as I can see. As Daan will testify, economy is not one of this cars redeeming features so I knew I’d need to take this into account planning my pitstops!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

22 October 2011

Car used: Mazda RX-8 type S ’07
Tuning: Can’t remember exactly what but 375BHP, 1100kg, 500pp, RH tyres and no wing (plus MNP(II) paint and metallic lime green rims :) )

Opponents:
• Mines BNR34 V-Spec
• HPS Audi TT twin turbo
• S2000 GT1
• HPA stage II R32
• HKS CTR 230
• Nismo Skyline R tune
• Nismo Fairlady Z Z tune
• Mines BNR 34 base ‘06
• Nismo 400R ‘96
• Nismo 380 superleggera
• Nissan Gran Turismo Skyline

Lap 1 – 9’11.012, +5.893s
Down to 9th at start as they fly past me on the straight but get back to 4th after a suicide dive turn 1. I was scrapping with the Mines for 3rd and get him entering North Loop. I keep between 3 & 5s behind the lead two due to the S2k and TT squabbling, I catch them through the twisty stuff but they blast away on the straights.

Lap 2 -8’58.055, [+5.570]
The Mines appears up my exhaust as I cross the finish line but I hold him off. I’m 8s behind leaving GP track and after an uneventful lap in 3rd, I’m 3s behind at start of dottinger hohe straight and 5s at the end.

Lap 3 -8’57.620, [+1.896]
The TT and S2k are still squabbling, I’m closer this time, only 2s by carousell and maintain this to pflantzgarden. It’s only 1s at bottom of dottinger hohe so I get a nice slipstream topping out at 185 mph. 4th place is well behind but my tyres are starting to not look too good, just over 50%. I’m hopeful of 2 more laps.

Lap 4 – 9’06.520, [+1.072]
I’m loser again, the S2k brakes oddly at start of straight after flugplatz and I pass him, in celebrating I understeer into gravel trap at Aremberg. Following this we stay nose to tail for a long time in a line of 3, it’s difficult to overtake as they fight. Eventually I dive down inside to claim 2nd from the S2k at the right hander before carousell. I also take the TT at the mini carousell but both sail past on Dottinger Hohe. I do, however, catch a slipstream and repass the S2k before nailing the TT on the final turn.Of course both repass me on the straight before the lap starts

Lap 5 – 9’20.075 [+10.552]
I battle with the S2k for 2nd through the GP section and come out ahead. Unshackled, the TT pulls out a big 10s lead. D1GP moments tell me it’ss time to pit for new RH tyres and 43l of fuel. I leave in 4th, the S2k does not pit but the TT does I think

Lap 6 – 9’43.445, [+8.022]
No splits for some reason!I take 3rd off a very slow 380z who holds me up through caroussell, eventually catching a very slow S2k at dottinger hohe who’s tyres are shot. 1st and 2nd pit so I take the lead

Lap 7 – 8’55.984, [-19.946]
Me vs the stopwatch in 1st whilst trying to be ‘Button-esque’ with tyres!

Lap 8 – 8’55.984, [-25.xxx]
A solid lap, better tyre management this stint

Lap 9 – 9’03.147, [-23.618]
Loss of concentration= trip across grass and lose a few seconds, tyres starting to go now

Lap 10 – 9’06.697, -[26.882]
This is all becoming about tyre management although doing better than 2nd who drops 3s this lap. Pit in and take on RH tyres and 15l after realising I didn’t need to fill up! 2nd pits too

Lap 11 – 9’26.267, [-44.677]
One small mistake costs me a few secs again. My short stop gives me 40s lead increasing to 45s by the end of the lap

Lap 12 – 9’01.301, [-1’13.597]
Who knows how but I’m now a min and a quarter ahead! Another silly mistake costs me some time

Lap 13 – 9’17.751, [-56.162]
Getting careless, 2 big spins at flugplatz and metzgesfeld cost me a lot of time bringing the lead to under a minute and, more annoyingly savaging my rear tyres which I need to save. With 2 laps before next scheduled stop and a need to take on fuel then, things are not so rosey

Lap 14 – 9’15.053, [-43.377]
Car is very difficult to drive now and I’m being caught, those two spins have really hurt me

Lap 15 – 9’24.208, [-32.xxx]
Another awful sloppy lap, gap down to 32s, pit for tyres and hope 2nd place does too, which thankfully he does. 30l of fuel and new RH

Lap 16 – 9’35.215, [-1’07.710]
Car is like Jekyll and Hyde, from a tail happy nightmare to a real dream to drive on these new boots. Best look after them! Lead up to 1’06, what the hell are the AI doing in their pit stops?

Lap 17 – 8’55.490, [-1’09.762]
Back on the money with a fastest lap, and tyres looked after well too.

Lap 18 – 8’56.179, -1’14.717
Lapped an R34 just before pflantzgarden after he held me up for a few corners –where were the blue flags?!?!

Lap 19 -9’01.907, [-1’18.000]
Another uneventful lap, tyres going off slightly. Fuel is a concern now, hope there’s enough for one more lap

Lap 20 – 9’21.060, [-1’02.336]
Car goes D1GP again resulting in an excursion across the grass at Adenauer Forst while trying to be clever and save petrol. Enter pits running on fumes, new RH and 60l which will hopefully last until the end. I see 2nd pit too.

Lap 21 – 9’41.882, [-1’24.711]
Solid lap, I either need to slow down or risk having to pit once more for tyres.

Lap 22 – 9’05.145, [-1’16.006]
Too many silly mistakes in a sloppy lap

Lap 23 – 9’13.230, [-34.926]
Accepting this will go to 27 laps and with a lead of over 1 min, I pit for fresh boots

Lap 24 – 9’24.022, [-44.557]
18:52 left and 9 min laps, couldn’t have timed this worse

Lap 25 – 8’53.935, [-54.772]
Stupid time to get a fastest lap, 9’58 left

Lap 26 – 10’07.xxx
Saw 2nd place pit as I left the GP circuit so slowed and took the crowds applause to make it the last lap! Win by about 1’30

Results (that I could write down)
DGiant2000 – RX-8 type S ‘07
HPS Audi TT twin turbo
HKS CTR 230
Nismo Fairlady Z Z tune
Mines BNR 34 ‘06

In summary the car was too fast but I wanted to make sure I won on my first go and I wanted to use the RX-8, sports soft would probably have been better. I definitely enjoyed my first go at this event though, thanks to Famine for igniting my curiosity for it. If you want a car that’s hard on its tyres and thirsty, the RX-8 is for you! Next up to try with something a little less powerful…

Sweet report DGiant! Maybe you'll get the bug and keep on trucking racing.

Winning by a minute 30 is still quite close for first attempt. I went in over powered on my first run and outran everything.

Just as a heads up, for my next race I'm just going to keep track of times and statistics because compiling a full report using in-race notes takes away a bit from the immersion.

Just as a heads up, for my next race I'm just going to keep track of times and statistics because compiling a full report using in-race notes takes away a bit from the immersion.

That's why I haven't done full reports for my last couple of races.

But the ff/rw feature in the replay makes it much easier to go back and fill in the details.

Thanks Shem, it should really have been about 2 mins but I slowed on the last lap to avoid having to do one more! I know what you mean about taking away from the immersion pausing after each lap and making notes but it was good fun nonetheless. I'll definitely be having another go, maybe a summary after every pitstop might be a good compromise.

No splits for some reason!
I got that too once or twice.

Nice write up. I've always intended to do this race in the 8 but never got round to it yet.

And how come your AI S2000 did the 6th lap of certain death, but the one I was racing didn't? Not fair... :(

But the ff/rw feature in the replay makes it much easier to go back and fill in the details.
Just remember that if you suspend the race part way through, you lose the replay.

It seem nobody has done it with RUF RGT, I'm gonna try it next weekend. I just love that car, it's so good to drive. It is also the most modern porsche we have in the game :( based on 996 GT3

It seem nobody has done it with RUF RGT, I'm gonna try it next weekend. I just love that car, it's so good to drive. It is also the most modern porsche we have in the game :( based on 996 GT3

I should try out my Red/Orange Flame tune. Obviously it'd be more fitting to take it to the S2K Turbo and R8 LMS, but it should still be able to win.

It will be interesting to see how the tyres hold up on that, as you can see above, in the RX-8 tyre wear was a big headache throughout the race as 5 laps was about half a lap too far.

I'm now hooked!! My next project is a Peugeot 205 turbo 16 '85, Testing gives me lap times of about 9'08 and tyre wear and fuel consumption look a bit better so this could be a good close race.

I attempted it - on Sport Softs. It ate the rear tyres like Charlie Sheen sniffs [sherbert].

Can't decide what car to use. Want something low-powered but that can still have a chance of winning.

I take it a fully upgraded Cappucino RM is too slow?

I attempted it - on Sport Softs. It ate the rear tyres like Charlie Sheen sniffs [sherbert].

So, realistically, how far would you expect it to go? Especially with a driving style as half-aggressive as mine, and pushing to stay ahead of the S2K Turbo? :lol:

I'm still considering Giulia TZ2, as I have seen that someone can win with it, and I think it was stock, plus someone else tried it out and got 3rd (which was converted to 1st by the endurance trick of cheating). I'm still convinced to see how a stock CT230R would match against the two front runners, especially considering how the CT230R is 9,999,999 times better stock now without the understeer from Spec I. As an AI it would probably be ousted (which is probably why it got limited to keep it with the other lower-class men).

Thing is, I can beat the Gran Turismo All Stars in a full modded well tuned one...or at least on Trial Mountain anyway. So the 4h would probably be just a walk in the stock CT230R even with an R8 LMS in there...

I take it a fully upgraded Cappucino RM is too slow?

Fun enough, definitely. Fast enough? Erm...nnnno. :indiff:

If you're really kind and gentle, you can get it to the end of the fourth lap.

So...er, 3 laps, then. You cannot be kind and gentle when racing against an S2k Turbo, that's for sure :lol: Especially when all I can do to one is bash it to smithereens (when I'm not being serious). :lol:

I've been trialling a 422PP RS200 - gifted over by DGiant :D - and I'm in two minds. I can get a 9'09 with it (same as the Focus RS the other day) but it doesn't leave much margin for error, even with the no-rabbit grid...

Maybe :D

Give it punt I say. The ones where doubt of winning is largely prevalent I find to be the most enjoyable.

My stock AMG C63 run was by far the most nerve racking and I might have just scored a win had my pit tactics been smarter. No rabbits though.

Well an hour in and I had to give up on the 205 :( It is just too underpowered on the straights and I'm losing too mch time, the AI has a pitstop in hand over me time wise so even my low tyre wear won't help. Back to the drawing board (or the UCD)

Latest Posts

Back