◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,748 comments
I may not have a mic (yet), but yes: I would prefer to be able to finish a race with the chance of minor poor communication-based incidents than to not be able to race at all due to network connectivity/stability issues compounded by mic use.

After all, drivers can't communicate with each other on the track in real life (for the most part).

For the most part, that's true, However, drivers do communicate with each other with regards to their intention based on what they do and how they do it, like "presenting themselves" for a pass. I have been in many (and I do mean MANY rooms) with drivers that say they run clean and will us you as a rolling guardrail, or when someone uses my rear bumper as their brakes. A short and simple spoken phrase can prevent most, if not all "racing contact".

Personally, I don't care if mics are enabled or not. I'll leave it up to the host tonight to decide on the fate of mics.

IMHO... I like two up, two down, with three divisions. Just one up will make promotion and relegation stagnate i think. Honestly, I think three would be better still, but that would be half the field of div 2 in constant flux. Four isn't so bad. really, only one more then three. And mics are kinda a must. They not only allow for better communication, but are also useful to dissolving an on track issue quickly, a quick, hey, sorry, is better right after a bump as opposed to going the race with a little bit of hot blood. YMMV

A short and simple spoken phrase can prevent most, if not all "racing contact".
Its been my experience that a spoken word doesnt mean ish, because those types that punt and use you as a guardrail, really dont give a crap.

Is it to late to have another join in the race. my buddy has already purchased the cars and is ready to go?

Is it to late to have another join in the race. my buddy has already purchased the cars and is ready to go?

If he posts his interest on this thread (Step 1 of the instructions listed at the bottom of the original post), then we'll let him join the races tonight. The only stipulation being that if we reach full capacity and someone who requested to join the league earlier can't get into the lounge, then unfortunately your friend would have to get booted in order to make room. If that happens, you would then be the next person at risk of getting booted because you'd be the next most recent person to request to join.

But who knows, there might be plenty of room for both of you. It's simply too hard to predict how many of our Division2 drivers will show up because we don't require that they provide advanced notice if they're going to miss the races (like we do for our Division1 drivers). My best recommendation would be for you and your friend to join my lounge early (about 6:45pm Pacific time) and hope that not as many drivers as expected show up to race.

Of course, once we split into three divisions we won't have to worry about these space limitations. However, I will say that if we do end up splitting into three division next week, only drivers who race tonight will be in Division1 or Division2 next week. All other drivers would be in the newly formed Division3 (unless we get a last minute notice from one of our current D1 drivers).

For the most part, that's true, However, drivers do communicate with each other with regards to their intention based on what they do and how they do it, like "presenting themselves" for a pass. I have been in many (and I do mean MANY rooms) with drivers that say they run clean and will us you as a rolling guardrail, or when someone uses my rear bumper as their brakes. A short and simple spoken phrase can prevent most, if not all "racing contact".

Personally, I don't care if mics are enabled or not. I'll leave it up to the host tonight to decide on the fate of mics.

I agree with you pretty much in entirety.

I am actually quite new to the online racing scene, having been satisfied with offline A-Spec for quite some time, and not having an internet connection stable enough to guarantee that I could actually get through an entire race until January. I've had to learn quickly how to be a true, clean driver. Reading the rules of racecraft (or whatever it was called) and watching the videos and such linked to in the OP has helped that.

I came upon the racecraft rules laid down by GTP not long after I started racing online, and have tried to follow them as best as I could as the situation allows, often to the detriment of my own place and time in the race. Everyone that I've raced with here in S.N.A.I.L. has fortunately shown the same type of discretion when executing a pass and such, and the racing has been world's above that in your average "clean" public room.

Fortunately, also, most members here are pretty tolerant of accidental contact, especially when, for instance, mid-pack and the unexpected braking of someone three cars ahead was actually the root of the problem, causing everyone else in line to pile up and get a bit tighter than expected.

Anyway, my forum rambling alarm is starting to go off. I think that my connection can handle mics (unless diabolic is hosting, apparently) so I'll leave it up to the host to decide. If it works let's go with it, especially if it slows some of you guys down. ;)

If it works let's go with it, especially if it slows some of you guys down. ;)

Looking at the Alien and Cyborg :sly:

Race is at 10 Easter right? If so, will there be a pre-race room up for everyone to practice in until its time to go to the division rooms? Or how does this work (since i am new here).

If he posts his interest on this thread (Step 1 of the instructions listed at the bottom of the original post), then we'll let him join the races tonight. The only stipulation being that if we reach full capacity and someone who requested to join the league earlier can't get into the lounge, then unfortunately your friend would have to get booted in order to make room. If that happens, you would then be the next person at risk of getting booted because you'd be the next most recent person to request to join.

But who knows, there might be plenty of room for both of you. It's simply too hard to predict how many of our Division2 drivers will show up because we don't require that they provide advanced notice if they're going to miss the races (like we do for our Division1 drivers). My best recommendation would be for you and your friend to join my lounge early (about 6:45pm Pacific time) and hope that not as many drivers as expected show up to race.

Of course, once we split into three divisions we won't have to worry about these space limitations. However, I will say that if we do end up splitting into three division next week, only drivers who race tonight will be in Division1 or Division2 next week. All other drivers would be in the newly formed Division3 (unless we get a last minute notice from one of our current D1 drivers).
I am very much interested in racing tonight! I have sent zer05ive a friend request on the PS network. Thanks, AJK-VAIL

Race is at 10 Easter right? If so, will there be a pre-race room up for everyone to practice in until its time to go to the division rooms? Or how does this work (since i am new here).

Correct. League night starts promptly at 10pm EST / 9pm CST.

We've never had a pre-race room up, but feel free to open one if you'd like. Simply post the open lobby room number on this thread when it's up. You could also host it in my lounge so that you won't have to deal with pubbies joining the room. Just be sure not to have it in the Division1 lounge since not everyone has access to it.

I am very much interested in racing tonight! I have sent zer05ive a friend request on the PS network. Thanks, AJK-VAIL

Thanks, I've accepted your PSN friend request. See you online tonight!

P.S. - I wish I were in Vail right now.. Well, I actually prefer Beaver Creek, but what's the difference when I'm nowhere close to either one right now.. How's the snowfall been this season?

Not going to make it till late tonight.
Can I just jump into div 3 if there is one tonight?

We haven't split into three divisions yet, so there is no D3 at the moment. I would suggest you just join my lounge if there's room so that you can compete in D2. You may not finish at the top of D2 because you started late, but the fact of the matter is that the majority of Division2 will be relegated to Division3 regardless once we make the decision to split into three divisions.

I only have trouble when I'm hosting and utilizing a microphone. I'm able to keep tally and update the spreadsheet for D1 as I have been, but if anyone wants updates every couple races, I'd look for someone willing to mic up for that.

Anyway, my forum rambling alarm is starting to go off. I think that my connection can handle mics (unless diabolic is hosting, apparently) so I'll leave it up to the host to decide. If it works let's go with it, especially if it slows some of you guys down. ;)

This is the policy on mics tonight:

There will be a strict ban on mics during the races. Please make sure you enter the lounge with your mic turned OFF.

If you need to say something or ask a question, you can turn your mic on temporarily during a qualifying session or after a race is over. Once your question or concern has been addressed, please turn your mic back off.

The only person who should be using the mic regularly tonight is the host. He will be providing updates on which car to get into, point standings, requests to return to the pits before the race starts, etc. All updates will be provided in between races so that the host can turn off his mic as well during the race. I repeat, all mics need to be off during a race. That doesn't mean don't talk into your mic, it means turn your mic off altogether.

Since diabolic has trouble hosting and using a mic, dvdoughboy will take over hosting and scoring duties for Division1 tonight.

hey guys, whom ever is on my friends list, I am running practice there now, until about 15 till. There being in my lounge.

I have an idea that I'd like to run by the membership here. I have in the past organized some longer races and race series that include the freedom to select any car that meets the event requirements. These races have been very well received by those that have participated in them and I'm thinking of bringing some of these races to S.N.A.I.L.

Generally speaking, the races would last around an hour and there would be a HP, Weight, and Drivetrain restriction in addition to prohibited tuning. Car selection would be limited to any production vehicle (this means no concepts, tuners, or racecars of any kind).

I would be looking for this to run once a month or maybe every other week on a Saturday. Time is open to discussion. If there is any interest in doing something like this, let me know and I will hammer out a set of rules specific to the event. Any suggestions are welcome.

Just wanted to let everyone know I'm not going to be able to make it tonight. It's been a crazy weekend and I've just got too much to get done tonight.

Zero: In light of the new division shake ups, I'm fine with being dropped to D2 for next week.

I have an idea that I'd like to run by the membership here. I have in the past organized some longer races and race series that include the freedom to select any car that meets the event requirements. These races have been very well received by those that have participated in them and I'm thinking of bringing some of these races to S.N.A.I.L.

Generally speaking, the races would last around an hour and there would be a HP, Weight, and Drivetrain restriction in addition to prohibited tuning. Car selection would be limited to any production vehicle (this means no concepts, tuners, or racecars of any kind).

I would be looking for this to run once a month or maybe every other week on a Saturday. Time is open to discussion. If there is any interest in doing something like this, let me know and I will hammer out a set of rules specific to the event. Any suggestions are welcome.

This would be great and all but, we all know all cars are not the same. Take the best car @ given HP/Weight/PP, ect and pair it with the worst car in the same stats. Sooner or later everyone will mostly be driving the best car and we would be back to what we are doing already, only for a longer period.

Why not have the spec racing we do now, and last an hour or so? That way each car is equal and fair.

The only issue for example i have with shuffle races is almost 99% of the time there's that ONE person who gets the "worst" car possible, no way in the WORLD would they even be able to keep with the driver in 2nd to last place. I feel the people who know cars or who have the time to test car after car (or just look it up online here at GTP) would have the advantage. And in that hour long race you might end up seeing some people leaving if they are 3-4 laps behind ( example) at the half way mark.

Just my thougths. I personally would enjoy a "Race" thats longer then 4 laps (what we seem to do now roughly). An hour race would be awesome IMO.

This would be great and all but, we all know all cars are not the same.

No cars the same, no drivers the same, and no one car is driven the same. Different people and different cars get different results on different tracks. Even tuning changes from person to person on a given car on a given track. I think allowing tuning helps even things a bit more, by either capitalizing on a strength of a car, or help strengthen a weakness. There are some series out there that have been running for quite a while doing this way and still getting a lot of diverse cars in their line up.
There are also lists compiled of cars that run similar times at a given pp.
And to be honest, there are always gonna be a group way in the lead, a group in the middle, and a few in the back.

Darn brake peddle kept getting stuck just ever so slightly in the last race! grrr. definitely time for a g27

JLBowler

Bowler I love that idea. Endurance runs are my favorite. I would for sure do it if it comes to fruition.

^^ not the same, but the mini enduros I ran friday were well received. I know low boost may turn people off, but your most often always in heated battles and isn't that what everyone wants!

Good racing Bowler.
I may need to practice now.

...nah

:D

Back