◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,795 comments
See if replacing the HDD is an option, or if my only option is to replace the entire thing. I know I'll be out on Tuesday. No idea how much longer I'll be out.

Garris, you can easily replace the hard drive. It's a regular 2.5" SATA HDD. There are so many options, even an SSD (which would be super-fast and reliable).

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=380&name=Laptop-Hard-Drives
http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=636&name=Internal-SSD

Then all you have to do is download the latest PS3 firmware (http://us.playstation.com/support/systemupdates/ps3/index.htm) put that on a USB flash drive, and start the system up with the new drive and the usb drive installed.

Dude, you're too good at C&M, I vote you have to drive the 2CV as a cat from now on :lol:

I doubled my number of PS3 games today as well....now have FF13x2 and NHL '12 to go with GT5 and FF13 :)

Sucks about your PS3, Vol. I'm actually on my third… grr…

However, if you can't get it turned on by tomorrow evening, I would be willing to host a mini-enduro event in place of the parity racing.

If there is interest I'll post details tomorrow. All I know now is that we would be looking at about a 9:30 CDT race start time with some qualification time before that.

Last edited:
With the steward system in place, I think the penalties should be turned off. We're all adults here and can police ourselves. The penalty system makes cars ghost for no reason sometimes and gives some really stupid penalties. If we're voting, I vote for them to be off.

The penalty system does have its pro's and con's i agree, but i think it does more good then bad. I'd like to keep it.

I'd like to keep it on also. It serves its purpose although somewhat flawed.

Here are the official results from our league night on April 29th, 2012. This is the first night using our new "PERFECT 100" points system and the public Google Doc will be updated soon. Congrats to GTP_esh who completed his three week tear through the league by finishing first in D1. In D2, dabneyd edged out Psycho-Tuber by one point. The battle for first was just one of three separate battles that finished with only a one point differential! Last but not least, SeattleTyler took the D3 crown tonight.

Division 1
  1. GTP_esh ----------- selected Prize A
  2. Mighty_mopar ------ selected Prize B
  3. M1SS-D3V10US ---- selected Prize C
  4. jlbowler ------------ voted to eliminate Round 1
  5. racefan78 ---------- voted to eliminate Round 1
  6. AG07WRXTR -------- voted to eliminate Round 3
  7. ND_4_SPD_Naruto -- voted to eliminate Round 2
  8. kcheeb ------------ voted to eliminate Round 3
  9. tcrash15 ----------- voted to eliminate Round 3
  10. HogsterGT --------- did not submit a vote
  • Diabolicwyvern ----- DNR with advanced notice
  • whatbadgerseat ---- DNR with advanced notice
  • AJK-VAIL ----------- DNR with advanced notice
  • ADR_BRONCO ------- DNR with advanced notice
  • ckoerner210 -------- DNR with advanced notice
  • iceburgeson -------- DNR with late notice

Division 2
  1. dabneyd ----------- voted to eliminate Round 2
  2. Psycho-Tuber ------ voted to eliminate Round 1
  3. spooble ------------ voted to eliminate Round 1
  4. leadbedr ----------- voted to eliminate Round 3
  5. Apmaddock -------- voted to eliminate Round 3
  6. zer05ive ----------- voted to eliminate Round 1
  7. cmbeal317 --------- voted to eliminate Round 3
  8. tezgm99 ----------- voted to eliminate Round 1
  • rallywgn81 --------- DNR with late notice
  • g-MachineREX ------ no-showed without notice

Division 3
  1. SeattleTyler -------- voted to eliminate Round 1
  2. GTP_BeRandom ----- voted to eliminate Round 3
  3. aubdogg ------------ voted to eliminate Round 3
  4. ChuthuluGoat ------- voted to eliminate Round 3
  5. Vol_Jbolaz ---------- voted to eliminate Round 3
  6. ExoSphere64 ------- voted to eliminate Round 1
  7. Skills_19657 -------- voted to eliminate Round 1
  8. JaySin85 ----------- voted to eliminate Round 3
  9. Handlebar-Man ----- voted to eliminate Round 3
  10. bullseye915 --------- did not submit a vote
  11. SCREAMING_CHIEF -- voted to eliminate Round 3
  • autoxse-r ---------- no-showed without notice
  • dvdoughboy -------- no-showed without notice
  • jellis1 -------------- no-showed without notice
  • LR-L2L-xDriFtZz ---- no-showed without notice

The round that received the most elimination votes was:
Round 3 - Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione '08 @Suzuka Circuit
Therefore it has been dropped from next week's line-up. Since GTP_esh selected Prize A, he gets to decide which car and track will replace it.

The round that received the second most votes was:
Round 1 - Mazda Roadster RS (NC) '07 @Circuit Madrid
Therefore, either the car or the track will be replaced for next week's line-up. Since Mighty_mopar got Prize B, he gets to decide which is replaced and what replaces it.

M1SS-D3V10US gets Prize C, so she gets any car she wants (up to $999,999).

this post, from early morning, seems to confirm prize A,B,and C going to the division 1 podium, without a rundown of all 3 divisions points.

i guess i'm still a bit confused about the new point system, because i was under the impression that the "perfect point system" was based off the prizes being given to the highest 3 point totals among the divisions. without seeing those totals, from all 3 divisions...i must have something wrong..someone please clear this up for me. thanks :)

TylerGiese
this post, from early morning, seems to confirm prize A,B,and C going to the division 1 podium, without a rundown of all 3 divisions points.

i guess i'm still a bit confused about the new point system, because i was under the impression that the "perfect point system" was based off the prizes being given to the highest 3 point totals among the divisions. without seeing those totals, from all 3 divisions...i must have something wrong..someone please clear this up for me. thanks :)

Edit: this explained it. I'm assuming esh had the highest point total of all 3 divisions then.. Would have been nice, to have seen the point breakdowns, before the announcement, for sake of highlighting the new system in place. I.e. a separate rundown of the point total leaders, merging the 3 leagues...it would be fun to see!

Apmaddock
Simple. Closest in any division to a Perfect 100 wins the first choice. D1 1st and 2nd get next prizes. If D1 winner gets P100 prize, D1 3rd gets third prize.

i see the standings have gone official, but where are the point totals/100?

The points totals will be posted here eventually, but we never make the results public until they're first made official (and that only happened less then two hours ago). The league statisticians will be the ones who will update the points for us. We just have to give them time please. ;)

Keep in mind that the time stamp on each post is when it was originally posted. I posted the preliminary results after midnight when the races were done. However, I edited the post to say "official" just a little while ago once the 24-hour window to file a racing complaint had expired. You can look at the bottom of any post to see when it was last updated (look for the small green font).

The "perfect" points system is just that, a points system. The name of it was just a way to emphasize that a perfect score in our league would be exactly 100. However, the points system is completely separate from our prize structure. The original post outlines the prize system that has been in place since the beginning. The discussion that has been going the last couple of days about changing the prize system is purely discussion. No decision to change the prize system was ever made, we were just considering different options and weighing the pros and cons of different suggestions. Trust me, if a decision is ever made to change the only prize structure we've ever had, you'll see a "League Policy Update" with LARGE FONT like this, this, or this.

Last edited:
zer05ive
The points totals will be posted here eventually, but we never make the results public until they're first made official (and that only happened less then two hours ago). The league statisticians will be the ones who will update the points for us. We just have to give them time please. ;)

The "perfect" points system is just that, a points system. The name of it was just a way to emphasize that a perfect score in our league would be exactly 100. However, the points system is completely separate from our prize structure. A quick glance at the original post will outline the prize system that has been in place since the beginning. The discussion that has been going on about changing the prize system is purely discussion. No decision to change the prize system was ever made, we were just talking about it. If a decision is ever made to change the only prize structure we've ever had, trust me, you'll see a "League Policy Update" with LARGE FONT like this, this, or this.

Thanks, zero. I appreciate the quick response. That cleared it up for me. Sorry I wasn't already with it, I've just been working ridiculous hours lately and don't get a chance to hop online much. Take care.

With the steward system in place, I think the penalties should be turned off. We're all adults here and can police ourselves. The penalty system makes cars ghost for no reason sometimes and gives some really stupid penalties. If we're voting, I vote for them to be off.

Sure, why not. Let's put it up for a vote. For the last seven league nights, we've averaged about 30 participating drivers. Therefore, why don't we say that the first setting (Penalty Weak vs. Penalty Off) that gets 15 votes is the setting we'll go with.

Granted, that count of 30 drivers doesn't include the drivers who DNR due to absence with advanced notice or otherwise, but then again, not all drivers who race with on Sunday night are active on this forum.

I guess we could also put it up for vote at the end of league night next Sunday. Kinda like we did for the DLC (Spa) question. What do you guys think?

Speaking of the DLC (Spa) question that was posed on Sunday night, there were two drivers in D1 that stated that they didn't own the DLC. Also, there were three drivers in D3 that didn't submit an answer to the question. All others who responded said that they did own the DLC track pack with Spa and Space Kart.

Therefore, esh and Mopar, DLC tracks are not an option for your Prize A and Prize B selections.

I've updated the spreadsheet. Since I can't watch the replays, I can't post the numbers for D3. If someone else wants to do that, I'd appreciate it.

I, obviously, vote against penalties. This is the first league I've been in that uses penalties. The only place they matter is corner cutting during qualifying.

...and keeping someone out of control from ruining the day of people in front of them. I vote to leave them on, but would be willing to experiment with them off for a week as a chance to quell my fears.

...and keeping someone out of control from ruining the day of people in front of them.

That's racing.

I hope that having ghosting off means people will be a little more careful following others into corners, and those that have offs and are saved from damage because they ghost will suffer a crash and get damage and be at the back of the pack.

I also don't mind turning damage on full, but I won't push that. And keep in mind, I'm a much worse driver than you, so all of this penalizes me much more. But at least I only get penalized once for having a crash, not again for having a collision penalty or a second time by having someone else ghost through me.

I've got a car in mind but it requires all golds for a specific license. I'm guessing that would be out of the question for some people based on interest/time so I will go with this:

http://www.mygranturismo.net/car_sheet.php?id=688

Nissan GT-R SpecV '09 @ Laguna Seca

I would rather do the GT Academy version of the car in honor of GTA starting today but I understand not everyone will have the car or time to get it.

I also like penalties on as far as that discussion is concerned.

For the penalty vote I prefer them on.

It keeps me honest, I drive bumper cam and don't always know exactly where the boundary of my car is. I try to cut as much as I can off any corner that I can, sometimes I go too far. When I do, the instant feedback works and the penalty is appropriate and deserved.

I realize there are other situations where penalties can be punitive, and have been the recipient of an undeserved penalty. But, I think they're in the minority.

Okay.

Since it sounds like Vol will be offline tonight and Parity racing therefore on hold, I will be holding the first Apmaddock's Enduro Challenge (working title).

For this event we will be running the Nissan GT-R SpecV '09 @ Laguna Seca…I wonder how I came up with that one.

This is your chance to put in a pile of laps at the circuit and get a leg up on the competition. Consider it the most fun version of real practice yet devised!

In order to make this event work this evening, it will be held with a PP limit set to what the car is fresh from the factory and with an oil change: 538. This way you will not have to worry about getting your car broken in first. In fact, this race can be used to start your car toward its break-in…for what that's worth.

The race will last between an hour and fifteen minutes and an hour and thirty minutes, and will start at 10:30 Eastern Time. We will be running a 50 lap race. We will have a 10 minute qualifying run leading up to the start time, so it is recommended that you pop in early.

Tires will be Racing Hard. At least one pit stop is required during the race, and is likely to be necessary, anyway.

All regular Sunday Night S.N.A.I.L. rules and regulations apply, and sticking to the OLR is required.

To be held in the Division 2 lounge.

If, for some reason, we cannot get "enough" people for this event, those interested may still join the room, and we can find something else to do. Spot races/shuffle races/whatever floats our collective boat.

Last edited:
Okay.

Since it sounds like Vol will be offline tonight and Parity racing therefore on hold,

Oh. Well. I was about to volunteer to host parity racing tonight. I've done it before, and I already have access to the spreadsheet.

Since it sounds like Vol will be offline tonight and Parity racing therefore on hold, I will be holding the first Apmaddock's Enduro Challenge (working title).

For this event we will be running the Nissan GT-R SpecV '09 @ Laguna Seca…I wonder how I came up with that one.

Very creative AP ;)

Count me in and thanks for stepping up 👍

Oh. Well. I was about to volunteer to host parity racing tonight. I've done it before, and I already have access to the spreadsheet.

It just wouldn't be parity racing with Vol. :(

Also, the Division 2 laps and gaps are up on the Results Doc.

Last edited:
I'd like to keep it on also. It serves its purpose although somewhat flawed.

Since you are taking the poll now, i'll relist my vote from earlier, i would like it on.

In the last track we raced i think it was race #5, going into the last set of corners, i found myself getting a corner-cut there, on 3 of the laps, for 6-9 seconds each. I didnt think i did (was very close), but if i did the game got me for it, which is fine with me. If im going to cut it that close, and it gets me, hey then maybe i need to keep a bit of distance from it next time.

If for some reason we take off the penalty's, what happens when someone cuts a corner? If they do cut it, a simple give up position or hit of the brakes shouldnt cut it, thats to easy IMO. The game would give you (depending on the corner) a 9 second or more timer.
I dont know if thats an automatic DQ for that race or not. (as current rules here from stewards)

Last edited:
I appreciate it, but just skip the parity racing for tonight. That way, I don't miss the V8 test. Mwahahahaha!

I should go update the other thread.

I figured you might like to run that one.

My wife's away again tonight and tomorrow giving me all the time I want to play once the kids are in bed. Hence my desire to make sure something's happening tonight.

Since you are taking the poll now, i'll relist my vote from earlier, i would like it on.

In the last track we raced i think it was race #5, going into the last set of corners, i found myself getting a corner-cut there, on 3 of the laps, for 6-9 seconds each. I didnt think i did (was very close), but if i did the game got me for it, which is fine with me. If im going to cut it that close, and it gets me, hey then maybe i need to keep a bit of distance from it next time.

If for some reason we take off the penalty's, what happens when someone cuts a corner? If they do cut it, a simple give up position or hit of the brakes shouldnt cut it, thats to easy IMO. The game would give you (depending on the corner) a 9 second or more timer.
I dont know if thats an automatic DQ for that race or not. (as current rules here from stewards)

That's part of the problem with the penalty system. It will give you a penalty when you haven't really cut the corner. It will also give you a penalty if you run wide to avoid a collision. It will also give you a penalty if you get hit in the side. Remember Daytona Road coming out of the bus stop? Two tires could still be on the track and it would give you a penalty. The other part of the problem with the penalty system is the ghosting. I've seen too many drivers take advantage of it, mostly on the start of the race. There will be slight contact and one car will ghost and three others will drive through it. This is nowhere near realistic. If you're behind that mess, you should have to wait for it to get sorted out before you can go through it. This is racing 101, you don't drive through other cars.

With that being said, the league penalty system would need to be tweaked a little bit. A slight corner cut that gains nothing and is accidental would not be worthy of a DQ in my mind.

Maybe a progressive system for corner cutting could be implemented. Something like 1 point for the first corner cut, 2 points for the second, 3 points for the third, and DQ for the fourth.

Turning off penalties would also allow drivers more room to avoid contact by using the runoff areas without fear of getting docked six to nine seconds for avoiding another car. Someone stated earlier that this is the first league they have run with penalties on. That is the same for me. The league I used to run was done with penalties off and we had far fewer issues with them off than I have seen here with them on.

Back