*EASY* things for PD to implement in GT5

• Thread starter magawolaz
  • 550 comments
Best total time Leaderboard (Top 10) for each individual race in A-Spec mode.

This would add alot of replay value. Need For Speed II does this and it always encouraged me to run a race over and over trying to beat the total time.

Lap Record Leaderboard (Top 10) for each Track (Filtered by Race or Road car)

Most real racetracks only count in-race times towards their lap records.

Last edited:
When you are going through the lobbies, it tells you what driving aids are allowed in each room. Also, a cancel button if you decide not to go into a lobby after selecting it.

EDIT: I think they could also make it so that you can change between automatic and manual shifting mid-race, such as through the quick options menu.

Last edited:
I've read through about half of the OP so far and I must say these are great ideas that will make my playing experience that much better,

Add the ability to raise or lower the height of the seat in cockpit view.

GT5's cockpit view is about the eye level of someone who is 5' 6". To someone taller then that, like me, the view feels unnatural. I can see the hood of cars when I'm driving in real life, but in GT5's low driving view you see little or nothing of the hood.

Add the ability to raise or lower the height of the seat in cockpit view.

GT5's cockpit view is about the eye level of someone who is 5' 6". To someone taller then that, like me, the view feels unnatural. I can see the hood of cars when I'm driving in real life, but in GT5's low driving view you see little or nothing of the hood.

Full position adjustability would be great, because not only the height, but the distance between the driver and dashboard seem incorrect in some cars too.

Full position adjustability would be great, because not only the height, but the distance between the driver and dashboard seem incorrect in some cars too.

I'm OK with adjusting distance between the dashboard too, but to a point. You shouldn't be able to zoom to the point where it feels like your nose is smashed up against the windshield. And you shouldn't be able to zoom back to the point where it feels like you are in the back seat.

For replay mode I dont care how much they allow you to zoom, but if you can move the camera anywhere and everywhere without realistic limits in the cockpit it ruins the realism and challenge of the view.

I'd like a depth of field blur option for the cockpit view. When focusing on the road ahead the dash is out of focus, and when looking at the dials the viewpoint could shift down a little, leaving the road ahead out of focus. This is how it works in real life, and It would add to the sense of realism in the game imo.

Use the right analog stick for the looking, or the D-Pads for looking and use the left stick to steer.

Right. Let's say using the D-pad. Every second you spend toggling view is a second you don't spend steering with the same finger.
Whilst I agree headtracking would be awesome, what happens if you're short?

Right. Let's say using the D-pad. Every second you spend toggling view is a second you don't spend steering with the same finger.
Whilst I agree headtracking would be awesome, what happens if you're short?
I use my thumb. the stick and d pad are right next to each other, so I could do it in a fraction of a second without it affecting my steering.
I don't think it would be difficult to implement at all. Basically you just need to implement two states, one road blur, dash in focus, and the opposite, with the option to switch between the two from the pad/wheel.
Headtracking implementation would be much more complex, and awesome.
Maybe that idea belongs in a wishlist thread, :)

Kinect is for the xbox 360 btw, the eyecam for the ps3 is nowhere near as expensive.
I don't get the short question either. As far as I know you only need to be in line with the camera (on the tv) for it to work. Not certain though, anyone who uses head-tracking confirm this?

Last edited:
axl54
The Sticks are used for steering, D=Pads not used at all iirc.

I use my D-pad for making adjustments in the RA menu..... i haven't any spare buttons on my controller left, so using the controller is out of the question.

A Kinect style setup for the PS Eye would be the best job.

As for stuff I would like added...

I would like them to have the clocks permanently lit when in interior view, so I can always see my speed/revs, as when in a shadowed section on some tracks, the clocks are unviewable :-(

Ok, some already in the OP, so ill list some:
Engine swapping (V10 Corvette would be awesome)
Brands on the parts (Hennessey parts, JDM aero parts, Michellin tires)
More aero parts (more choice of front bumpers and wings)
More choice of performance parts, like Engine Stage 5 or Racing Flywheel
Adjustability of the number of transmission gears like 4,5,6,7
Fix some cars like the RUF Yellowbird and MP4-12C to better handling
Better exhaust sounds (Miss those cool Viper and Lamborghini sounds)
Add race-inspired liveries on a car
Update the Mustang to have '08, '09, GT500 SuperSnake, V6
More Variety of RMable cars (at least 2 for each manufactuer)
Add some more A-Spec events like FIA-GT1 or American Le Mans championship
On Endurance races, you can pit and switch to B-Spec Bob if you're tired or bored
When looking to the left and right, you can see the car's side instead of just the road
Tune a car to any HP (1000 hp Camaro XD)
Switch steering wheel side
Switch drivetrain
Design race gear or use a template
Blurring when at high speed or moving around in cockpit view
Change steering wheels and dials
More wheel choices
Calendar for planning and reminders
More limited-edition cars like the RX8 Spirit R or Hennessey Camaro HPE1000

I use my D-pad for making adjustments in the RA menu..... i haven't any spare buttons on my controller left, so using the controller is out of the question.

A Kinect style setup for the PS Eye would be the best job.

As for stuff I would like added...

I would like them to have the clocks permanently lit when in interior view, so I can always see my speed/revs, as when in a shadowed section on some tracks, the clocks are unviewable :-(

Yeah, I suggested it as an additional option for the cockpit view. Maybe it could be toggled to a double button press for people who use up all the input options.

I use the "favourites" tab to mark each and every car that I have changed the oil for, tuned, or driven. That way, I know that if I select a car from the favourites list, I don't have to worry about changing the oil, etc.. The problem here is that favourites are limited to 100 cars from what I can tell and I am almost there. With people, like myself, buying every single car in the UCD plus Dealership purchases, topping 100 driven vehicles isn't that hard.

So ... I was going to suggest some other sort of marker in place of the "favourites" one, or an increase in the number of favourites you can have beyond 100. Then I noticed that a suggestion was already made for the inclusion of folders for our cars (aimed at those with OCD). This is a better idea, but something that PD should really have already done. How can the fifth (main) iteration of a massive game, like GT, have such a horrible menu system?

Along the same lines, as I mentioned above, I am collecting (or trying to collect) all of the UCD cars. Naturally, wanting to keep 000 cars 000, I have bought multiple copies of some. The problem here is that with 811 standard cars to collect, the GT5 menu offers no way of searching for "counts" of cars so you can find out which cars you have multiples of and exclude the extras from your 811 target to work out what number you are up to. Paints have a search function by "count," but not cars. Perhaps this suggestion should be "more detailed search parameters for car searches in garage" in case it hasn't been suggested or covered.

PS. If anyone knows of any workarounds in GT5 that I've missed and that deal with these issues, please let me know :)

I know it's kinda late for the DOF topic, but...
What about L1 and R1? You could change look back to triangle, so dash focus = L1 and road focus = R1. You can still steer.

I know it's kinda late for the DOF topic, but...
What about L1 and R1? You could change look back to triangle, so dash focus = L1 and road focus = R1. You can still steer.
That could work.
I use the d-pad to flash my headlights.

DOF blur: not exactly easy to implement... but then neither are most of the ideas in this thread, right from the very beginning.

DOF blur is also not something that I'm particularly wanting to have, ever. It would almost surely come out as stupid as it did in Shift where you couldn't read your dash at all at 150mph, and if you switched it then you couldn't see the road. And in my opinion the whole switching idea is silly anyway. I can't imagine there ever being a situation where I can't easily see and read my dashboard and the road at the same time, though to be fair I've never driven faster than about 130mph and that was going straight. I may be focused more on one than the other, but the amount of difference in their clarity is infinitesimally small even when I'm quite busy driving and if even reproducable would be virtually undetectable on a TV or monitor screen(if it wasn't cartoonily exaggerated).

Amount of blur aside, the switch in focus when you move your eyes to something inside the car is so close to instantaneous that any attempt to re-create it would just result in an awkward clunky gimmick that would take valuable resources away from much more important things in both game development and system processing. And a perfectly good button on the conrtoller wasted. I know I'm not willing to give up my RA menu or headlight control for the "realism" of not being able to read my speedometer while driving unless I push a key. I'd much rather find a button to use for, say, toggling the HUD. Which might even be "easy" to implement.

DOF blur: not exactly easy to implement... but then neither are most of the ideas in this thread, right from the very beginning.

DOF blur is also not something that I'm particularly wanting to have, ever. It would almost surely come out as stupid as it did in Shift where you couldn't read your dash at all at 150mph, and if you switched it then you couldn't see the road. And in my opinion the whole switching idea is silly anyway. I can't imagine there ever being a situation where I can't easily see and read my dashboard and the road at the same time, though to be fair I've never driven faster than about 130mph and that was going straight. I may be focused more on one than the other, but the amount of difference in their clarity is infinitesimally small even when I'm quite busy driving and if even reproducable would be virtually undetectable on a TV or monitor screen(if it wasn't cartoonily exaggerated).

Amount of blur aside, the switch in focus when you move your eyes to something inside the car is so close to instantaneous that any attempt to re-create it would just result in an awkward clunky gimmick that would take valuable resources away from much more important things in both game development and system processing. And a perfectly good button on the conrtoller wasted. I know I'm not willing to give up my RA menu or headlight control for the "realism" of not being able to read my speedometer while driving unless I push a key. I'd much rather find a button to use for, say, toggling the HUD. Which might even be "easy" to implement.

There's no reason why it couldn't be an almost instantaneous transition.
Gamers are really good at quick button pressing. :)
Regarding using up precious system resources, maybe each view-point could use a lower LOD (level of detail) for the blurred areas, freeing up the required resources. If done well I think it would look amazing, and would add a lot to the players sense of immersion.
I understand the need to see everything clearly during intense racing, so if anybody found the Dof switch
distracting/annoying they could just turn the feature off, or never turn it on in the first place.
I'm suggesting it as an additional OPTION, not a replacement of the default cockpit view.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back