DiRT 3 Event of the Week (23): CLOSED

• Thread starter Wiegert
  • 529 comments
New times with allowed cars :)

Audi Quattro - 2:28:659
MG Metro - 2:28:528
RS 200 - 2:27:391

I feel that I could get a much better time than my PB with the RS 200. Somehow it doesn't feel like I am pushing the car to its limits.

Still, I believe the 2:27 is going to be my best entry here unless I get around to give it another try on Thursday evening.

I carefully read your tutorial to achieve a good time on this track AOS, but I couldn't transfer all your helpful input onto my driving style.

Nevertheless I really appreciate the time you've invested in this and it helped me quite a lot with the RS 200 as my previous best time was 2:33:xxx. The descriptions defo helped me to gain insight on some aspects of Dirt3-Driving I haven't been paying attention to so far. So thanks for that! :)

Last edited:
I don't know what are the steps you guys take as a precaution in case of an unwanted bump on the road. Perhaps that would help me help you find a way of cutting through the course like I do... or better yet, record yourself on a usual run.

First run a 2:29.9xx in the Metro. Felt much slower than the other cars, a handful in some of the later corners, and it translated into a slow time. Not much good on this fast stage really

Second run was 2:25.8xx in the RS200 (forgot to note the exact time again). It's probably the most comfortable car to drive overall, and I didn't have any major problems getting decent times with it. Lacked grip on some of the faster turns, but fast enough elsewhere.

Last run was 2:24.478 in the Quattro. Felt just as fast as the RS200 up to the first proper left-hander that you need to brake for. It was much faster and had tons more grip on the section leading up to part of the stage between the long right turn (the one you take flat out) and the "Big Cut". From that part all the way down to the right turn just after small bridge, I struggled to get the Quattro through without crashing. This is where I needed to be extra cautious if I wanted to reach the final sector, which is where I found the Quattro to be slightly faster than the RS200. It may have more grip, but there is definitely a smaller margin of error when using the Audi here.

Audi Quattro - 2'26.791

Fastest I can go without getting screwed over by ditches. :ouch:

Almost forgot to update this earlier one.

I hear that everyone who takes part loves Rallycross, so that's what we have this week (yeah yeah, I know not everyone likes it).

Last edited:
I thought everyone loves Gymkhana sprints. :sly:

While no one else likes 'em. I honestly like to try now and then. It's still playing for the fastest time, just more technical than driving on a linear road.

It's still something I plan on doing and I have done so since the beginning of EotW, so don't be surprised if you see a Gymkhana event soon.

Lancer Evo X - 0.57.041

Still need to perfect my lines, escpecially on 5th(?) corner, that long "u"-style corner. So maybe 0.2-0.4sec improvement is possible. I like the flow of this course and you have to go close to the wall, which is exciting.
Whats more funny is the two "top" times of this course, bother drivers had stability control and auto steer 👎

Well my session got cut short early.

GR Impreza 58.114 for now.

207 still can't keep up on any turns because it just slides so easily.

I think the Lancer might be the best choice for this. Better yet, I think the Lancer can take snow better than the rest. Just speculation though.

57.127 Impreza.

It seems like the Impreza and Lancer both are better suited for snow, whereas the Fiesta and R4 are better on dirt. That's what I learned today

0:58:590 - Subaru WRX

Currently playing UNcharted 2, so I do not play much DiRT3 this week.

Still wanna give the other cars a try tho and get down to a 0:57:xxx time. Shud b possible :)

Good luck to all the other participants, I'm gonna rejoin the weekly event next week with full force.

My idea concerning Gymkhana events is this:

Why not add a Gymkhana event every week. This would lead to a similar pattern as in GT5 with the TT and DT event.
People could battle for the fastest time and the highest score every week then or the fastest time again in some GYM events like smash attack & speed run.

Also, it might attract more people to take in this weekly event series.

What do you guys think?

Personally, I've never liked the Gymkhana events in DiIRT3. In fact, I wished that they had focused on any other kind of event rather than Gymkhana. However, the speed run and smash attack modes aren't too bad and I have pondered whether I should use Gym events at some point ever since I started this back in April.

Another thing to take into account is that I'm too busy dealing with other things these days, and that I'm not always up to setting a time most nights. So having to set up 2 events and do both of them each week isn't something I can fulfill. Depending on how much interest there is for any sort of Gymkhana event, I'll set-up more of them on certain weeks but not alongside another event in the same week.

And I will try setting a time later on. I'm surprised I haven't yet and it's already Tuesday.

Like you said, instead of doing 2 separate events, you can add in time-based gymkhana events now and then into the mix of rally, trailblazer and whatever other discipline you've been covering already. Just don't cycle into Gymkhana as often.

Just don't cycle into Gymkhana as often.

I wouldn't dream of doing such a thing. ;)

EDIT: Turns out I'm not so fast with the Evo X when it comes to snowy conditions. Far more tail-happy than I expected, although it wasn't too bad to drive. I Only managed a 1:58.174 before switching to the Impreza.

Now, straight away I beat my previous best time without much effort, and there was a clear difference in speed as I approached the left turn at the top of the hill, with the Impreza being 3MPH faster on a number of runs. I felt it had slightly more grip than the Evo which was the same case during the Smelter Rallycross event last month.

All I can say is to stay as close to the inside of the corners as possible, especially on the left/right/left section at the bottom of the hill. I feathered the throttle (and touched the brakes a little on my fastest run) and shifted up to 4th early to avoid sliding as I exited the tight left turn, then stayed as close as possible to the inside wall of the next right-hander, which set me up nicely for the next left turn before the fast bumpy section.

Oh, and the time was 0:57.071 - Impreza. I'll try the 207 and the Metro now to see how they fare.

EDIT: Well the 207 is rubbish. Handling sucks and doesn't feel as capable on snow as it is on dirt (even if it is average on the latter).

The Metro though, that's a completely different story. it's not as easy to control as the Impreza, but it's so nimble that you can shave some time on the corners. Just got a time of 0:57.023 after 10 minutes of trying (and one silly mistake near the end on what felt like a faster run), but even after one try I saw how much potential it had. I'm going to try an get a time below 57 seconds with it right now.

EDIT: 0:56.829 - Metro \o/

Decided to stay much further left before entering the final right-hander, which meant I could get through it without dropping too many revs in 4th, as well as get a clean line and a faster exit. You can afford to slide this car a somewhat on the right hairpin at the bottom of the hill and the 2 right-handers before the final right right turn as well. It can match the Impreza on the straights, and beat it in the corners if you're lucky.

EDIT: Totally forgot to try the Fiesta earlier, so I might do that if I can be bothered to later.

Last edited:
Don't you guys think about the course and the choice of cars rather than just playing the game alone?

I think if you're going to post a stage result for the first time in this thread, then state that you've followed the rules in the OP while you're at it.

Also, try looking through the thread too while you're here. Maybe then you'll get an understanding of what we expect participants to post, and that simply posting a time and what car you used isn't helpful to other members who want advise on how to improve their stage times.

Just wanted to point out that you can illegally cut around the tire after the bridge, as well as cutting between the fence and large rusty pipe at the final hairpin.

Fiesta 1:15.883, no hairpin cut.

Man I knew I'd rock this course with the Fiesta like I did in Kenton, which coincidentally is the same course as this in reverse.

Tips:

-At the first hairpin, you need to be able to turn your car around that corner without skidding.
-Making your way through the next few bends can be achieved faster if you don't hold the accel down. When I did it, the LSD kickes in and slowed me down.
-When approaching that bridge, don't be afraid to cut in so much that you'd break the fence. Brake early for this and the hairpin after that. Just beware of the sudden oversteer you get from dropping down a slope onto the bridge.
-When you travel down the hill towards the banks, stay close to the left when turning- riding into the grass even. Just dodge the first tree and you're good. By cutting through here, you won't need to slow down a lot to make the turn without causing a skid.
-Exiting that same bank, you don't need to brake. Just let go of the accel for a bit easing in an early turn just swerving by the stack of lumber and get back on the accel.
-Ride the grass after knocking down the following checkpoint and get close to the sign.
-On the last turn, get close to the tire but keep your speed low so you skid too much.

The Mini isn't a bad choice imo. It has solid power at lower speeds letting it push through slow sections easier than other cars. The Focus is stable through the course and will pull itself through slippier sections making it more preferable. However, through careful throttle control, the Fiesta and Mini and do the same and its higher acceleration can outperform it.

Last edited:
1:16.480 - Citroen C4

I don't know if I can put up with most of the cars on this stage, and I'll probably leave it at that this week. The Mini is stupidly unstable and cements itself as my least favourite of all the rally cars. The Fiesta has good acceleration but somehow I can't get a good time even if it feels much faster than most of the others. The Focus felt loose and was prone to sliding even when I tried to take it easy, and the C4 was the most stable car to drive, and is again my top choice.

What drives me nuts is the actual stage though. It's short, but very bumpy, plus when it came to driving a car with less stability (Mini) it was hell.

-Making your way through the next few bends can be achieved faster if you don't hold the accel down. When I did it, the LSD kicks in and slowed me down.

I actually find it hard to go through there without tapping the brake a little after the jump before that section. The slight left-hander with the hay bales on the inside should never be cut. It's far to bumpy and in the case of the Mini, it can send it spinning and unable to control.

Sticking the front left wheel on the edge if the road is the best thing to do, but you have to watch out when changing direction for the next right turn, and turn in early without taking the corner too quickly.

-When you travel down the hill towards the banks, stay close to the left when turning- riding into the grass even. Just dodge the first tree and you're good. By cutting through here, you won't need to slow down a lot to make the turn without causing a skid.

That was the case in most of the cars, and usually I wasn't able to get the car close to the left without slowing down. The C4 can get through there easily without having to slow down, or move as far to the left, but keeping it in a higher gear will slow you down on the exit.

1:16.480 - Citroen C4

I don't know if I can put up with most of the cars on this stage, and I'll probably leave it at that this week. The Mini is stupidly unstable and cements itself as my least favourite of all the rally cars. The Fiesta has good acceleration but somehow I can't get a good time even if it feels much faster than most of the others. The Focus felt loose and was prone to sliding even when I tried to take it easy, and the C4 was the most stable car to drive, and is again my top choice.

What drives me nuts is the actual stage though. It's short, but very bumpy, plus when it came to driving a car with less stability (Mini) it was hell.

I actually find it hard to go through there without tapping the brake a little after the jump before that section. The slight left-hander with the hay bales on the inside should never be cut. It's far to bumpy and in the case of the Mini, it can send it spinning and unable to control.

I think this is where the differences in our skill levels show. Whiel the Mini was really sensitive to bumps, you had be sensitive on the analog stick as well. I take it I have a less frustrating time with it since I've played driving games that required responsive inputs for about a year now.

However, I did want to mention that when you were going through the underlined section, to avoid the need for braking, you have to let the car decelerate. I find it easier to have better control of the steering if I let go of the gas and slowly ease in on the turning. That said, this would mean my steering points would have happened much earlier than yours. I have more stable results when I decelerate and gently steer in and then ease in on the gas right after rather than braking harder and pump the accel. This is the bit I mentioned about The Fiesta and Mini being formidable if the driver can overcome these highly responsive cars.

1:15.840 Mini, 1:15.337 Focus. The Focus doesn't skid as much as the Mini or Fiesta through faster sections, and it can take bumps a little better probably because it has softer suspensions. Start-off-the-line speed isn't as nearly as good as the Mini or Fiesta, and I have barely made a good handbrake turn around the first hairpin unlike the Mini.

Eeyup. Parking Lot Speed Run this week.

Maybe the numbers will pick up this time as it's been pretty quiet in here during the last couple of weeks.

I think this is where the differences in our skill levels show. While the Mini was really sensitive to bumps, you had be sensitive on the analog stick as well. I take it I have a less frustrating time with it since I've played driving games that required responsive inputs for about a year now.

It's more to do with our different approaches to these stages rather than outright skill. Plus I don't doubt that you've been playing far more racing games than I have lately. I've been playing maybe 3 times a week at most, only switching between DiRT3 and GT5.

It took me more time to get used to the Mini though, but with my aggressive style it's prone to biting back and I end up losing control. The Focus wasn't as bad, but I couldn't get a decent time. It did slide more than I'm comfortable with and it even felt faster than the other cars overall, but my times were far slower than they were in any other car.

Well I tend to push cars harder than they can handle so what do I is think about how easily the back end breaks out and simply think about how much I have to back off to not get the car to skid such as reducing the hard swerving, and how hard I can step on the accelerator while keeping control. That's how I learn the car's limit.

This is actually pretty easy once you play it patient, and it didn't even take 10 minutes. Common problem most people run into with gymkhana is that their steering and throttle inputs are too sudden making the car seem difficult to control. Cruise through the course once to get an idea how much the Lancer can turn without breaking out and how much you can accelerate while turning.

The 3 big points you must get down are:

1) The first left bend around the containers, You can push your car through this into one drift segmented into two parts; the first is where you can drift into that area with a wider angle and higher speed, and the second occurs shortly after. Here, you need to let off the gas to let the car slow down because the bend you need to get around to hit the 4th checkpoint tightens up. General rule of thumb, if you can get the car out of the container area by accelerating sooner, the better.

2) The hairpin around the tire. You're going to screw this up the first time and this is how you can tell: you're either going to slide too far out, cause the car to skid for a long time, or your drive into the tire. What you need to do is get around that tire as quickly as you can. Initially you may be thinking to brake late, brake hard, swerve and flooring it. Wrong! Remember these cars break traction easily and slide forever once that happens. You need to prevent that. Handbrakes are needed to quickly turn your car around, but using that alone is going to make your car slide a long distance, so what you need to do is slow your car down using the service brakes enough that the handbrakes can almost put you to a stop. Do this right and you can actually get so close around the tire that it feels like you're being pulled around by a magnet. The next crucial step you must take to make sure that wasn't all gone to waste is to make the car accelerate fast, but not cause excessive redlining. I fluked it on my run, but I eased on the gas right after I let go of the hand brakes and I just took off right after the turn.

3)The last 3 checkpoints (setting up the car to go up the ramp):
Obviously you will have to travel through the last 3 fences, but remember that even a single wheel passing in between will count. Take a line that lets you cut off as much distance possible, while at the same time, you approach the ramp in a controlled manner. You don't want to slide in there because there is little room to regain control of the car before the ramp. You can try it if you really want but frustration lies ahead. Reason why I find it important the tires should all be stable is that the car won't react unpredictably once it hits the ramp. If you so much as touch any of the girders on the way up. You can kiss your efforts goodbye.

General rule of thumb: don't make the car slide too much through power-over oversteer unless you can benefit from it.

Added video:

Last edited:
Sorry for the lack of updates lately guys, but this week has been far busier for me than I expected and it doesn't look like I'll have much time on my hands to take part if things continue the way they are. I haven't even tried to set a time this week, and interest seems to have dipped below a level that I feel is required to keep this event going, with only one or two members taking part right now.

Which is why I'm going to keep this event open for another week to see if anyone is still interested. If nothing happens between now and next Friday, then I'll consider leaving it for a few weeks and see if anyone still wants to take part, or end it altogether. I think this is a busier time of the year for most of the participants, and it's done well to last until the very end of the summer.

If I can set a time for the current event in the next few days, then I'll try. I know there isn't a total lack of interest, but it's hard to find time to continue playing and post advice on how to make improvements these days.

That is too bad. Or people just don't play because they haven't found a profound interest yet. I know some people who have the game but they're always playing GT instead.

Back