My trip to GT's Switzerland (Forza's too)

• Thread starter true_kiat
  • 34 comments
Not sure where to post it, so feel free to move it where it belongs.

Last September I went on a trip to Switzerland, and couldn't help but visiting some places and take some pics you Gran Turismo aficionados should know well.

First off would be Luzern's Chapel Bridge and Bern's Marktgasse, from GT5's Travel Mode:

luz00.jpg

luz01.jpg

luz02.jpg

luz06.jpg

luz03.jpg

luz07.jpg

luz04.jpg

luz08.jpg

luz05.png

bern00.jpg

bern1.jpg

bern2.jpg

bern3.jpg

Earned a trophy, didn't I?

Next one is for the old fans, no less than GT2's Grindelwald, where I had the chance to drive for real:

grindgt2map.jpg

grind0.jpg

grind1.jpg

grind2.jpg

grind3.jpg

grind4a.jpg

▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼ ▼
grind4b.jpg

(original pic)

2d0kwwl.jpg

What about going further from Grindelwald?

lauter0.jpg

lauter1.jpg

lauter2.jpg

So, isn't that view familiar to you Forza fans?

lauterg.jpg

This one pic of central Grindelwald is taken from F4's Bernese Alps 'making-of' clip

kleine00ax.jpg

▲ (0) ▼
kleine00bx.jpg

¿Which train station is in between GT2's Grindelwald and F4's Lauterbrunnen? It's Kleine Scheidegg, home to GT5's Eiger Nordwand & Trail courses. I took some real-to-virtual comparison photos:

kleine01ax.jpg

▲ (1) ▼
kleine01bx.jpg

eigerpeak.jpg

GT2's upper left pic already showed the infamous Eiger peak looking on the right direction

kleine02ax.jpg

▲ (2) ▼
kleine02bx.jpg

kleine03ax.jpg

▲ (3) ▼
kleine03bx.jpg

kleine04ax.jpg

▲ (4) ▼
kleine04bx.jpg

kleine05ax.jpg

▲ (5) ▼
kleine05bx.jpg

kleine06ax.jpg

▲ (6) ▼
kleine06bx.jpg

kleine07ax.jpg

▲ (7) ▼
kleine07bx.jpg

kleine08ax.jpg

▲ (8) ▼
kleine08bx.jpg

kleine09ax.jpg

▲ (9) ▼
kleine09bx.jpg

kleine10ax.jpg

▲ (10) ▼
kleine10bx.jpg

kleine11ax.jpg

▲ (11) ▼
kleine11bx.jpg

kleine12ax.jpg

▲ (12) ▼
kleine12bx.jpg

kleine13ax.jpg

▲ (13) ▼
kleine13bx.jpg

kleine14ax.jpg

▲ (14) ▼
kleine14bx.jpg

kleine15ax.jpg

▲ (15) ▼
kleine15bx.jpg

kleine16ax.jpg

▲ (16) ▼
kleine16bx.jpg

kleine17ax.jpg

▲ (17) ▼
kleine17bx.jpg

kleine18ax.jpg

▲ (18) ▼

kleine18bx.jpg

fbbxjl.jpg

▹ Railroad (Grindelwald-Alpiglen-Kleine Scheidegg-Wengernalp-Lauterbrunnen)
▹ Train stations
▹ Eiger K Trail
▹ Eiger Trail G & W variants
▹ Eiger Nordwand
▹ Eiger Nordwand pitlane

Turn10's crew went to some places in the area, Kleine Scheidegg being one of them:

a058f4m.jpg

b056f4m.jpg

c100f4m.jpg

d138f4m.jpg

e139f4m.jpg

f141f4m.jpg

Although Forza4's track is called Lauterbrunnen, that one village is low into the valley, so I think the Grindelwald panorama you get at it is actually taken from Mannlichen, maybe with Bachsee lake from some miles afar added to the mix

6o1w1w.png

g107f4sup.png

grindfrommannlichen.jpg

Grindelwald from Mannlichen
lauter2.jpg

bachsee.jpg

Bachsee

f4mbachsee.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, I love these. That's awesome. Nice work!

TL;Did not watch videos :D

http://www.sony.net/pressroom/bstage/GT5P.html
Recreating the Vast Natural Vistas of the Eiger Nordwand a Daunting Task

Hiroshi Samatsu worked on the racecourse design and played a central role in the design of the course on the North Face of the Eiger. “My challenge was to achieve sufficient intensity in the local photographic material to match the improved image quality of PS3. The Eiger is closed to vehicle traffic, so I had to climb the mountain on foot and use a helicopter to obtain photographs of the 4,000 meter peak. Changeable weather conditions further complicated the task of capturing the best possible pictures.

I've been to the bridge in your first pictures and stopped at the train station next to the Eiger. I was impressed with GT5's detail :D.

Awesome, just awesome. Sorry for such a short reply to a vastly detailed first post, just couldn't think of any other words 👍

This is great to see! Thanks for this. Brings back memories of my backpacking. I was in Luzern, Interlaken and Bern a few years ago, was very neat to hear that all these places were in the new GT. I also just so happened to go to the Reb Bull Hanger for a drink, had no idea what i was in for. It was incredible, i wish they could have added everything that was in there when i was, as they are missing about four planes, 20 cars. The jet pack. Anyways, just another reason for me to love this game even more.

Awesome work there, congratulations on your effort! 👍

Massive kudos for the Grindelwald video and drive, so much nostalgia there! 👍

Heh, for some reason the Grindelwald layout never jumped out at me before, but there it is. Obviously heavily stylised in-game, but so is Eiger / Kleine Scheidegg in the GT5s.
The 'Wald videos also caused some serious nostalgia pangs for me; and reminded me we're still waiting on some of GT4's great tracks, like Citta di Aria / Assissi.

Excellent work, anyway, hope you had fun out there! 👍

I'm currently living in switzerland and visted as well those places but the idea to make pics and compare it is pretty cool - nice job and thumbs up ;)

Amazing work there man.

I am going to show this to my friends and family for sure.

I want to go there soon since i live not that far from there. Not sure if i can do the same photos as you but also you "did the job" for us. haha

Amazing work man. Lovely places to go too.

Glad you enjoyed it :)

This is great to see! Thanks for this. Brings back memories of my backpacking. I was in Luzern, Interlaken and Bern a few years ago, was very neat to hear that all these places were in the new GT. I also just so happened to go to the Reb Bull Hanger for a drink, had no idea what i was in for. It was incredible, i wish they could have added everything that was in there when i was, as they are missing about four planes, 20 cars. The jet pack. Anyways, just another reason for me to love this game even more.
That's nice. Although we didn't go strictly backpacking as we rented a car, we did stay at a well-known backpacker resort at Interlaken for the six days we spent there, with a fantastic view of the mountains right as you went out the tent in the morning. The place is a nice place for it indeed, it practically lives for that, I'd never seen anywhere so ready for adventure sports. We used it as our base from where to visit that amazing part of the country.

Heh, for some reason the Grindelwald layout never jumped out at me before, but there it is. Obviously heavily stylised in-game, but so is Eiger / Kleine Scheidegg in the GT5s.

Excellent work, anyway, hope you had fun out there! 👍
I did ;) When in your first few hours in the country you inadvertently get to see this, you know it's gonna be an interesting trip :drool:

I knew our hostel was sitting right beside an old airfield that's been unused for some time now, even so that some of the town's roads go right through it, but I hadn't expected to have an active military airfield some 10 miles before reaching Interlaken, so I was amazed by that casual sight.

lknprts.jpg

lknprt1.jpg

lknprt2.jpg

lknprt3.jpg

Some drag racing crossed my mind here, but of course it isn't allowed;
those cows woud have something to say about it
:sly:

On the Grindelwald layout issue, it's there almost completely. The main difference is the right end thingy, where you have to detour slightly through the main town square, otherwise you'd pass right through a stone wall with some staircases, but other than that the track was immediately recognisable. It was kind of bizarre just arriving there and knowing exactly which streets and roads to take. Another major difference would be how tightly-packed the town is alongside the upper part of it, opposed to how open, fast and straightforward that part is on GT2.

Of course you mustn't try, but I keep wondering if it would be possible to replicate some of the in-game lap times, given the ideal time-attack conditions if (unlikely) permitted. That one lap I filmed was over 6 minutes long, mainly because of the slow traffic ahead for the most part of it, and the 30km/h legal limit plus my own responsible risk-free approach for the remainder, but what if they closed the town just for a clean attempt on it? :D

Just fantasizing, since this is likely the fastest you'll go at Grindelwald or near it, riding the Pfingstegg toboggan:

I've been to the bridge in your first pictures and stopped at the train station next to the Eiger. I was impressed with GT5's detail :D.
I didn't know half of Luzern's bridge burnt to ashes on 1993. From its outside look you would't say it is rebuilt, but on the inside you can see half the old triangular paintings displayed under the roof are gone.

That station would be Eigergletscher, and it's certainly impressive to see the entrance to the insane tunnel that goes into the mountain up to Jungfraujoch station, Europe's highest; sadly we were out of funds for the day by that time and couldn't go. There we witnessed an amazing transportation work by an helicopter:

At first I didn't know what were those things it moved back and forth through the mountain, then we realised they were water crates for the athletes of the upcoming "Jungfrau Marathon", a 42km. foot race from Interlaken up to Kleine Scheidegg passing through Lauterbrunnen and Eigerglestscher. It was held on that same weekend, so we watched it at Lauterbrunnen:

55gxo4.jpg

108fbxe.jpg

Last edited:
I hope you liked my country and some cool pics here. I know Luzern but never went to Grindelwald, I actually thought that it was only inspired by it, I had no idea it was like that. Bern I actually went a couple of time and you can recognized it pretty easely.

Good job.

Nice! They put some good work into making those tracks! It must be fantastic to work as a course designer, going to locations all over the world and imagining what it would be like to have a racetrack there.

Nice one! 👍

Try to drive the eiger track in real, you'd die for sure. :lol:

Yep.. Funny how they have slightly improved the roads at eigert:dopey:

Nice job with the pictures:tup:

I also visited one place familiar from gt5 this fall. The Hangar 7 at Salzburg, Austria. Took quite a few pictures. Might upload few of the surroundings/scenery. The building it self was well modelled inside & out (the glass not quite as bright anymore), but inside there was A LOT more stuff on display so there gt5 cant recreate the real thing:sly: big boys - expensive toys kinda place. Funniest was theworlds most expensive modelcar - aventador was it 1/8 scale. Just the material value 2M€.. Total value of the model around 3-4M€ :crazy:Thats how one can spend money when not ballooning a man to stratosphere ;)

Last edited:
ok.. sorry to invade, but ill just post the hangar photos here. dont think they are worth a new thread. :)

first off.. almost lost my sanity trying to take day light pictures of hangar 7 in gt5. time changes to night after 10sec you open the camera and wont go back to day light.:mad:

second - right away i noticed the scenery at hangar 7 in gt5 is slightly off to the right, maybe 10 - 20 degrees. Bad PD - bad. ;)

first - the hangar it self. and no - i wasnt taking the trip in GT-R. ;)
8130145079_eb92c11c19_c.jpg

8130648566_b87558c54b_c.jpg

A statue outside the main entrance. here you can see the scenery being little off - had to take take gt5 photo fom further/left to get the peak in the picture.
8130170422_0c8a6bf8a4_c.jpg

8130648268_8b88961847_c.jpg

the scenery looking over the Salzburg airport from between the hangars 7 and 8 (8 is similar but smaller build for maintaining the planes of the flying bulls). Notice also, that the plane i was photographing here sits inside the hangar in gt5, and the bigger plane sitting outside in gt5 was inside when i visited the place. The planes move as they are used in flight shows. :)

8130143199_bfc3e6c766_c.jpg
lightbox

8130648442_18afe2e09e_c.jpg

just for art and proof :):

8130144393_d5f2e5c9b0_c.jpg

8130648862_1ee9d960ae_c.jpg

8130648978_6db33af487_c.jpg

and finally the inside:

8130168184_07ff3689a1_c.jpg

8130648752_9503463846_c.jpg

Someone might appericiate this. :) the life size replica of the Vettel X2010 - and yes, you could play GT5 there. :)
8134021840_6437a71c31_c.jpg

Last edited:
Amazing post and a fantastic thread. I am always impressed by the modelling of real life locations in Gran Turismo.

I think it would be way cool if Jordan put a link to this on the GTP News page for everyone to see.

Last edited:
Great Job OP:tup:👍

I did watch the Sprinter GT2 video. Was it really that primitive looking?...lol. And how is it that GT2 had a better exhaust sound than GT5?:grumpy:

Back