◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,764 comments
I also think it would be advantageous to have a complaint system in place as well. I know that helps add to the legitimacy of the series. Basically using the same procedure as sunday snail.

Noone likes to be punted without some sort of penalty levied.

The complaint process has always been in place for all SNAIL events. The last time it was mentioned was here. Of course, nobody will ever remember "mentions" of it, so perhaps it's a good idea to actually include it in the original posts of each of the SNAIL threads?

Non-Sunday incidents have been reviewed by the stewards before, but it's very rare. The main obstacle is finding someone willing to upload the replays..

I would like to toss a car idea out there for people that win prizes.

Lotus Espirit V8. Car sounds great. I drifted it last night and was awesome control. Assume it would race nicely on some decent tires.

Two things...

The online dealership refreshes this week, so it is not available for prize selection until next week.

The Carlton would be so much more fun.

And a bonus thing... if you really want to drive the Esprit, it is the car of choice for one of the rounds in the Thursday event. I took it reluctantly last week cause my RGT was just clowning. I have a 3400S this week, so no leeriness for me.

The online dealership refreshes this week, so it is not available for prize selection until next week.

Actually, read this post (the middle of the red section at the very bottom). OCD cars can now be picked in any week, regardless of when it refreshes. This was done to increase the variety in cars that can be selected for Prize A and Prize B. 👍

I'm admittedly worried about the number of dupe requests that'll be needed, but I've been assured that that responsibility will fall on SNAILs as a whole and not just on me. ;)

Division 1 Rule change proposal:

Last week I had an issue where a car lost control. I was on exit throttle as this car lost control. I went wide as the car about spun. He over counter steered and drove into me which now was outside this driver. The wrecking driver smacked my door and pushed me off course some. The game decided to penalize me for this. So I do nothing wrong. Get smacked off track and now go from 3rd to last with a huge gap. Spent the rest of the race trying to catch the pack.

The penalty system in D1 is more hinderance to innocent drivers then it does to regulate offending drivers.

I'm thinking if a drivers has the race craft and speed to run in SNAIL's premier division. Then this division should run no penalties. This would eliminate some serious screwing going on in D1. The drivers rarely if ever get penalized for their actually driving. It's silly crap like my problem that penalties happen in D1. Seen a car spin and back guy with no place to go bumps the front car and back car is penalized. It's like oh come on. You can be on brakes and still be penalized for another's mistake.

So please consider removing penalties in D1. As this would be another reward for hard work an practice earning you a spot in D1.

As well with the new multiplier points this shouldn't be advantageous in the prize selection. IMO.

Ignore this if this has discussed. I typed fast as time is minimal for this post. I'll check grammar later. LoL

If we want D1 to be a good place to prepare for GT Academy (which we do), then we might as well run it with GT Academy settings. If this rule change for D1 were to take place, two things need to happen first:
  1. Current D1 drivers post there votes on this thread (Weak Penalties or No Penalties) - Majority wins.
  2. A steward needs steps up and takes on the responsibility for watching D1 replays for shortcutting violations.

We should talk about this for all divisions and rely on the out of bounds/corner cutting penalty system. Would make racing more realistic too. Cars don't ghost in real life.

The penalties versus no penalties debate has been discussed many times. We even took a league wide vote for it and "Weak Penalties" won by a sizeable margin. Even some SNAILs who argue vehemently for no penalties ended up voting for penalties at the end of the day because they decide that the "pros" outweighed the "cons".

We could certainly bring it up for discussion again (and a vote), but I tend to like Owens' notion that it is like a reward for earning a place in the premier division. 👍

Last edited:
I like the idea of no penalties in D1. We allow driving aids in D5, and I'll bring up the bell curve again, those few in the edges of the curve are not the majority and may deserve/require different settings.
I was always a proponent of in game penalties until this Sunday, where I was hit with a collision penalty I shouldn't have gotten. Despite this I still want penalties in D3,4,5, but I think D1,2 could benefit from this.

As far as weekly events, why are we so stuck on 10:00pm est for all events? I think we could benefit from more official practice's also, like a practice room in an open lobby everyday, same time.

As far as weekly events, why are we so stuck on 10:00pm est for all events? I think we could benefit from more official practice's also, like a practice room in an open lobby everyday, same time.
:tup:How about a late night practice that starts at 9:00 PST:)

Turn penalties ON for qualifying and off for races. Shortcuts taken during qualifying can really help your time.

I think if we did that, the lounge would reset, and we would have to manually grid up.

:tup:How about a late night practice that starts at 9:00 PST:)

That sound great, but personally I would need a much earlier time like 3:00pm PST/6:00pm EST. I would be willing to open the lobby, but is there any interest in this time?

Division 1 Rule change proposal:

Last week I had an issue where a car lost control. I was on exit throttle as this car lost control. I went wide as the car about spun. He over counter steered and drove into me which now was outside this driver. The wrecking driver smacked my door and pushed me off course some. The game decided to penalize me for this. So I do nothing wrong. Get smacked off track and now go from 3rd to last with a huge gap. Spent the rest of the race trying to catch the pack.

The penalty system in D1 is more hinderance to innocent drivers then it does to regulate offending drivers.

I'm thinking if a drivers has the race craft and speed to run in SNAIL's premier division. Then this division should run no penalties. This would eliminate some serious screwing going on in D1. The drivers rarely if ever get penalized for their actually driving. It's silly crap like my problem that penalties happen in D1. Seen a car spin and back guy with no place to go bumps the front car and back car is penalized. It's like oh come on. You can be on brakes and still be penalized for another's mistake.

So please consider removing penalties in D1. As this would be another reward for hard work an practice earning you a spot in D1.

As well with the new multiplier points this shouldn't be advantageous in the prize selection. IMO.

Ignore this if this has discussed. I typed fast as time is minimal for this post. I'll check grammar later. LoL

We have same issue in D3; unwarranted penalties. Not that we are aliens like D1, but I would go as far as recommending it in D2 as well. I believe 99% of the drivers here strive for the ultimate clean and fast racing, and should not be penalized for actions the computer misinterprets.

zer05ive
Actually, read this post (the middle of the red section at the very bottom). OCD cars can now be picked in any week, regardless of when it refreshes. This was done to increase the variety in cars that can be selected for Prize A and Prize B. 👍

I'm admittedly worried about the number of dupe requests that'll be needed, but I've been assured that that responsibility will fall on SNAILs as a whole and not just on me. ;)

That is awesome.

Carlton, Carlton, Carlton!

As to turning penalties off in D1: no. If I have to suffer, so should they. The penalty system isn't making anyone a better driver and shouldn't be used to add insult to injury. D1 shouldn't get special treatment. There are plenty of cases for all of us getting penalties we didn't deserve.

I think if we did that, the lounge would reset, and we would have to manually grid up.

Awww poopy.

I know there is a little check mark next to the penalty saying enable for free run. Can you enable that while disabling for the race?

Last edited:
8244460801_cab47bf867_z.jpg

I'm sorry. I'm bored right now.

Indeed, it would. Turning on/off penalties reloads the track. The fact that there would be no way to police short-cutting during qualifying makes turning off penalties problematic.

Don't get me wrong, I hate the GT5 penalty system. I hate that we can't run at La Sarthe and that in races it tends to penalize/ghost the wrong car(s). But short of splitting up qualifying into 2 groups and spreading the non-qualifying group all over the track to watch (and then taking them on their word, with no evidence, if someone does cut), I don't know that we can turn off penalties without inviting worse problems. That's my opinion, anyway.

I think in this league all are fast and clean but not all have a chance to give the maximum in the races because sometimes its look like traffic. Maybe the racers can have the best qualifying but when the time to race come they are more slower than in the qualifying. Why , something wrong in the qualifying or what.

It's easy to push harder in qualifying because the worst that can happen isn't nearly as bad as if you push too far in a race.

I'm not against turning penalties off for everyone. But I won't be watching people's races for shortcuts unless I've been alerted to something someone saw.

If you're shortcutting in a pack you'll be seen and likely penalized.
If you shortcut and you're way out front it either won't matter, anyway, or someone will watch to see why you got around the track so fast and you'll be seen and likely penalized.
If you shortcut and you're way out back it probably won't matter, anyway.

I like the idea of no penalties in D1. When we ran GT Academy there were no penalties. We each had someone watching us race and marked down points and times if we were to cut a corner too short or bumped someone. It would then be later discussed by the stewards there and penalties were given accordingly. The person watching us would give us a warning if we did something wrong during the race and were fairly lenient (too lenient IMO). To run no penalties I think all of us racing would need to keep each other in check and warn others if they are doing something they shouldn't. I think it's a little ridiculous to have someone bump you off track or you make a mistake and put yourself off track or run a corner a little wide, etc. and be penalized for it when you already penalized yourself lol. Anyways, if we want to make it more realistic to be like GT Academy I believe no penalties is the way to go.

Apmaddock
It's easy to push harder in qualifying because the worst that can happen isn't nearly as bad as if you push too far in a race.

You right but i think some racers are more good alone than whit others racers. That should be a detail to see for choose the racers to be in the right division. :tup

I think in this league all are fast and clean but not all have a chance to give the maximum in the races because sometimes its look like traffic. Maybe the racers can have the best qualifying but when the time to race come they are more slower than in the qualifying. Why , something wrong in the qualifying or what.

The reason for this is simple. It's slower to run in a pack through turns than it is to run alone. You have to allow more time to brake when someone is in front of you and you have to allow room for the cars around you. During qualifying, you have the entire track to yourself, while sharing the track with other cars, you do not. It's the reason some guys are great qualifiers, but they don't really have the skills to run fast in traffic, and some guys don't qualify all that well, but run better in the race.

As for penalties, this was discussed in great detail many moons ago. I was one of the guys that was in favor of turning them off back then but through discussion, I voted to leave them on. The issue with qualifying was a big sticking point. There would be no way to police qualifying if the penalties were off.

The other issue was put to me this way: How many times have you received a collision penalty that was unwarranted and how many times have you been saved from an incident becasue a car ghosted? Basically it comes down to which way is going to ruin more races for more people. Having been in D1 as much or more than anyone currently running SNAIL, I can say with certainty, that turning off penalties would create more incidents than it would prevent.

If anyone is going to use the realism argument, neither way is realistic. If you hit another spinning car doing 60 mph, you day would be over. You would not continue on racing without stopping to make considerable repairs.

So when is the kugel wagon coming? I need some noodle kugel for this weekend. Was that misspelling intentional apropos of Chanukah?

Vol Jbolaz
Two things...

The Carlton would be so much more fun.

And a bonus thing... if you really want to drive the Esprit, it is the car of choice for one of the rounds in the Thursday event. I took it reluctantly last week cause my RGT was just clowning. I have a 3400S this week, so no leeriness for me.

Premium version bro.

Good points...

I was running 2 secs a lap slower when having to follow in a group with nowhere good to pass. When people are in front and you need to pass cleanly then you just have to wait instead of forcing the issue. Instead of barging through, you just sit back in line and bite your tongue.

Bowler makes a damn good point. I know that as recently as this Sunday, I spun out at Tokyo in front of several people and did not ghost (amazingly) until the next person hit me. Crash even said in chat that he was wondering why I didn't ghost.

People are expecting the crasher to ghost so they can sail past. Imagine when people don't ghost and the pack piles into them.

Might be worth a few practice sessions to see how those first turn aggressive moves pan out when no one ghosts.

JoeW
Good points...

I was running 2 secs a lap slower when having to follow in a group with nowhere good to pass. When people are in front and you need to pass cleanly then you just have to wait instead of forcing the issue. Instead of barging through, you just sit back in line and bite your tongue.

Bowler makes a damn good point. I know that as recently as this Sunday, I spun out at Tokyo in front of several people and did not ghost (amazingly) until the next person hit me. Crash even said in chat that he was wondering why I didn't ghost.

People are expecting the crasher to ghost so they can sail past. Imagine when people don't ghost and the pack piles into them.

Might be worth a few practice sessions to see how those first turn aggressive moves pan out when no one ghosts.

I was steering left around a ghosted car and was all but six inches clear. My mind was like whoo he is a ghost this won't Hurt. WRONG. BAM I was wrecked too. This happened at Wednesday practice iirc. Was very taken to see a ghost car still be able to hit.

Oh yeah ;) Forgot about that Owens. I spun in front of you in the exact same spot on Wednesday.

That's my favorite corner....nyet

That things i dont like its if you are behind the racer and you wait to have a good room to pass clean and you give a good room in the back for him to not bump while he try to be more fast. Others racers behind you pass you like you was not fast . Its unfair because you give place in the back of the front racer and after you get rob your place because you want to give room to the front racer .you see the racers passed you because you wait to get the front racer place . Gentlemen have to stay away or what. Im just confuse

If it works for D1, and they vote for it, I don't mind at all.

Ghosting (me, or those around me) is a part of my D5 life - and way better than the carnage that we'd cause without ghostiness.

Back