The Realistic Photo Thread

• Thread starter Omamder5
  • 24,078 comments
Anyways, these are real life photos I took with the "poor quality" Blackberry camera, at a recent rally in my area.

You can't really discuss photography techniques and back it up with photos taken from a phone. Phones are not cameras. A phone taking a photo works as long as you hold the phone still, but any movement destroys the image. As you proved with the last image you posted.

What you guys also are forgetting is the choice of camera modes in the game. If we are going to be nitpicking, like I usually do when it comes to realistic photos in GT5, then there is the issue of photos having used camera mode 3 at distances from the car that is incorrect. Camera mode 3 is what in real life is mounting the camera on a small support arm onto the car to allow photos being taken when the car is in motion. But since the camera is in motion along with the subject, the subject car can be captured in full detail.

Images of cars that are being captured in GT5 from a distance away should be captured with the camera modes 1 or 2. Where camera mode 1 is a fixed trackside camera capturing an image. Camera mode 2 represents a trackside camera that is allowed movement, and can therefore follow the car when it passes. But it still pivots around a center when it does this, which is why the car is never fully detailed in these images.

When I capture images in GT5, I always try to come up with plausible locations for these kind of cameras. And when you are shooting at, for example, the La Sarthe track, you can even probably Google all the camera locations that are used during the 24 hour race.

I'll throw in some of my own stuff in at this point, before people call me out for not posting any of my own work and instead just complaining :P

Last edited:
At last, someone finally explains what the camera modes do!

Are those Mazda photos edited?

The colours look softer than what you see in the game, as if they have been toned down a bit?

Great pics though. :)

These are edited, yes, but only slightly. There is a layer with a bit more green with added tone and colour balance. GT5 has a ton of contrast, and I think it's due to the camera trying to work as a human eye. When you race with cockpit view, the camera has a tendency to focus on all the black in the cockpit, and therefore boost contrast and exposure to the outside world which is why all the trees go so dark-green, yet the sky gets completely blown out.

That's why I soften up the tones a bit to make the images a little less harsh on the eye than what they are in-game. After all, these images were taken during the evening.

I also implement a second layer with a slight noise and soft blur filter to soften up any jaggies that might be visible and give it more of a look as if the image taken is a photo that has slightly aged.

This is a realistic shot (unedited) I posted a while ago. Is it realistic? Sure! Is it beautiful? Not really.
That's the difference; beautiful doesn't mean it's realistic however realistic pictures can be beautiful (NB, mazda, Horde... well done guys! 👍)

Suzuka Circuit_5 by DocArmor98, on Flickr

ENOUGH!!! MoMos' back from vacation, and some of you have turned the mood back to the 2011-early2012 pages. Bitching & Questioning if an artists work is valid on the thread. Newsflash...They are all valid! Who are you to judge someones/everyones art with such vitriol? (What up Driftin?) Since I've been here, Oct-2012, I have borne witness to some of the most inspiring works of passion ever (considering the subject matter)! I never edited ANYTHING ever before in my life, until I found Horde & the Gang. (Shout out to GT-R!). Instant love! They knew I was no artist, yet they did not flame me for being a rookie. I did my history on this thread, I knew I wanted to be just like them (No such luck yet). (Hola Buff!). Artists stick together & support each other on this thread, not berate, hate on, chastise, snicker, waste space, and make lowly of the works that someone, visualized, sculpted, & polished, and wanted to share with you! Tell an aspiring artist where you think he could improve, not wish him dead. Where did you come from, a tampon commercial? Check yourself, you're acting like a chick, crying about how a mans hard work is never good enough...For YOU! Begone! (Eugeeeene!) These pages give me the biggest goosebumps, joy, and awe. It inspired me to try to get better. Can you dig it? No you can't. These guys express how much I love this game through their sculptures. Things change with the times, OP or no OP, edit or no edit, no one cares, as long as you strive for realism! They do it in spades Sir! And they do it to DEATH! What it sounds like is you refuse to put yourself in another artists shoes, and see what they saw. (NBDE forever!). Not what YOU want to see. They even got a thread for Super Realistic Photos. Go there, stay there. Or start your own self-serving thread for that kind of silly, theatrical nonsense, (I will visit your thread, but I won't post, I promise). Or start your own website featuring, "The 'Only' Right Way To Create Art Thread". Once you apply realism in every aspect of these artworks, you lose the best component, your Imagination, and the NEED to share it, and use it to WALK through this museum, not run, which will then allow you to view pure poetry! Imagination. The base thing that makes you post YOUR art in the 1st place Sir. Come back when you reacquire your child-like wonderment kid! Then ALL the photos will be hits in their own special way (Neal, they tryna hijack the thread with their space wasting complaints about the stunning craftsmanship that we lack! That's sooooo 2011!). I post the crappiest pics, and you will not be able to heckle me into NOT posting, I'm hooked! You just gotta wait till my art grows up. How will I know I've reached nirvana if no one sees my vision because YOU say i'm no artist? So, you will see a substandard work from me sometimes/ most times. My best days in real life are the ones where they say, "Nice pic MoMo". I feel every brush stroke that these guys make here, and I let them know that the love they pour into their art is very moving and not unnoticed. This is a living, breathing thread, any blemishes are covered up by the next artist. They let me 'hide' between their posts. No 'Perfect Photo' thread exists. You can't see fun anymore. Viewing others pics is a job now? Low tolerance? Incompetence abound? Idiots? You see poor quality? You want structured, clean, photographic principals applied to...Fun. Swallow the red pill and see whats really going on here. Expression, thumbs up, mastery, editing photos without telling YOU, freedom to experiment, a hiding place, like minded souls just chilling, high fives, a place where you can be the best you can at this without judging, (they got a thread for that too, try it, & stay there). You have no regards for another mans hard work, just your own, and a few select friends. Take that attitude back to the april 2011 pages, and stay there.Thread integrity is down, but not for the reasons YOU think. Verdict...Thread Integrity 87%...Reason: Fembots

Don't want to upset but it's hard to read when there are no paragraphs. Anyway I agree by maybe 50%. :) With my post I didn't want to upset guys who weren't maybe AS good as the top ones, I just tried to clear up the realism dispute. I have full respect for anybody's photos, what I want is that this thread remains as the place where everyone posts their best work which has atleast a bit of realism. Everyone improves, always, there haven't been a guy who hasn't improved by doing this. Check any gallery, compare the first shots with the latest ones, see? I even laugh sometimes when I see my first photos! The most important thing is to not give up! :)

Basically, this is the GT5 Art Gallery of Realism. :D

Last edited:
You have no regards for another mans hard work, just your own, and a few select friends.

The ignorance and attitude in this post.

Please try and make a constructive post in the future so it's actually possible for people to make sense out of what you are trying to tell us.

I also really don't like the attitude you are showing in that post. Please quote me where I ever said that I am disrespectful towards the work of any other GTP member?

Also, I'm seriously questioning whether "Taking a picture and instantly upload it" can be considered hard work.

There is a difference between posting "on-topic", and posting the same 5 images in 5 threads that are aimed towards completely different things. I find it funny to see you don't like us slapping people on the wrist for wildly posting anything in here when the last post you made in this thread was about you complaining that people were going off-topic.

Momo, wow.

I agree with the previous two posts though, maybe try to use paragraphs, but otherwise, nice post. As I have said before, you should be a writer.

My response, and i'm done fellas...
When I, or lower talented artist post, we truly believe it's realistic. When it's seen by others, they may feel differently. Now, my low level of talent may keep realism from happening sometimes, but does anyone need to know that their post is akin to ruining a thread? Really? What does one do with such harshness? Yeah, that WILL make me better. Not tips or hints. People make boo-boos. Are they to stay away until they know everything? How will they know when to come back? Is there a panel of judges to meet with before we post? Or do we check the critics first before posting? I'm not that good, and I take all feedback. No one says too much. I try to change that, you know, help your brothers-in-arms out. No one left behind. We are brave enough just for posting. Almost worked, then the last few pages come along, it's like the naysayers came together, to spit fire on someones passion. It won't work here. Try to uplift. Works miracles for a pretty page.:)

Sounds like unproductive gossip to me, do these people look back and see they wrecked a page more so by writing such things, then high fiving with each other? PM it. We don't need that here. This thread is all about Love Baby.

Lastly, my comments were not directed at you sir, but the overall divisive tone in the last few pages. To what end is this played? How does this help the thread? You want to help? help me figure out how to get these models ready for showtime! PM me! But that never happens, we are just met with silence, it's okay, but until then, we have to wait for our skills to evolve. (No disrespect intended).

Hope this helps,
-MoMo

My first 'Realistic' post...
8358827822_889da1ea3d_b.jpg

4 months later...
8354748427_9fbd54996e_b.jpg

Still crappy, but a higher level of crap...Be patient with us rookies.

Proby, I still had a response, now i'm understood. Beautiful photos, post more! MoMo like! Lets get the wheels back on this wagon and raise some eyebrows! Who is up next???

MoMo, that second shot is good, the reflections are nice and real. I'm not saying this just to be nice, I mean it. I judge all pictures equally. :)

Neal, it's MoMo, I forgot my login name. Trying to retrieve it. Nice pic, but, car is blue, sky is blue, they blended together a little. Try to separate them and take the shot. I would kill to make my skies that clean. Sunflare, perfect. Gawd, that's some blue sky! Thanx GT, that means a lot. I stayed away and practiced so I won't wreck pages. Got a better handle on things. The 1st pic was my first post (Yuck!). I thought it was wonderful back then. 2nd pic shows how far I've come.

@ neal.. as far as "realism" is concerned I would say a different angle (one that gives a realistic perspective that one might see from either a person standing taking the shot or a rig shot where the camera is placed on another vehicle ) .. your use of lighting is fine and the vehicle has a sense of speed ..

Thanks MoMo! Your right though, we all have to start somewhere, it's the same with anything in life. Just keep trying, we won't always be perfect, but we will get better!!

Latest Posts

Back