GTP_WRS Online: Parity Racing: Deep Forest Reverse - 1975 or older - 12/13 April

• Thread starter WRP001
  • 748 comments
EDK
Except that Wes beat you to the punch. ;)

And for the record, I claim Purple. :)

Damn him! haha, I guess there will be multiple pinks from now on then :D

Glad to see you guys are having fun with the formula, I will try and get out to a race soon. I was a little worried the formula may not go over so well outside of our group but it looks like a great success so far. Keep up the good work:tup:👍

I have a feeling that if everyone could experience this kind of close and even racing, where racecraft was paramount to success as opposed to raw driving or tuning skill, it would catch on like wildfire:idea:💡 It's also nice to see a formula be successful, that is entirely dependent on honesty and integrity to qualify for a race. Kind of makes you feel warm all over...and a lot of people would say this can't be done!!:cheers:

Glad to see you guys are having fun with the formula, I will try and get out to a race soon. I was a little worried the formula may not go over so well outside of our group but it looks like a great success so far. Keep up the good work:tup:👍

I have a feeling that if everyone could experience this kind of close and even racing, where racecraft was paramount to success as opposed to raw driving or tuning skill, it would catch on like wildfire:idea:💡

Thanks.

I'd say all our drivers improved over our first parity event too, even though that one was fun and relatively clean.

These grids have been quite large and the thought of going to Monza was scary (but exciting) and it turned out to be a smashing success. You know, a few bumps, bruises and crashes, missed braking points... we're all human... but what makes me happy is when a guy fell behind for any reason someone usually waited for him and allowed him to battle for the rest of the race. I never came in higher than 7th, but had fun almost every lap and I was in the lead a few times fairly late in the race. That's Monza!

And to top it off in that final race I got to battle it out with Bart... Took 8 races to make that happen, but it did. :sly:

wrstitleseventdetails.png

2013_03_16_Madrid.jpg

*Note the time changes due to Daylight Savings Time in NA
Saturday is sticking with EU/GMT time so the NA times are one hour later
Sunday is moving with NA DST time so the EU/GMT time is one hour earlier

Saturday, March 16, 2013

6:00 PM Eastern | 3:00 PM Pacific | 22:00 GMT

img.php

parity3_madrid_sat_lineup.png

Sunday, March 17, 2013

11:00 AM Eastern | 8:00 AM Pacific | 15:00 GMT

img.php

parity3_madrid_sun_lineup.png

Driver Registration
*Drivers can register for either or both time slots.

Parity Formula (courtesy of DeadNutsEven Racing)

We'll publish a track, target time, max speed and tire compounds. The current specs:

• Track: Circuito de Madrid
  • Target Time: 1'44.100
  • Max Speed: 195 kph / 121 mph (your speed should not exceed this at the end of the longest straight*, and you should not hit the rev-limiter)
  • Tire: Comfort Soft (Use a softer compound if you cannot obtain the target time without going over the max speed)
  • Car Choice: Lightweight Cars (Weight <= 1050kg)
*Note the fastest point on the Madrid Circuit is on the back straight going down the hill so note your speed at that location.

Your job is to choose any car in the game and set it up any way you like until you can just reach, but not exceed the target time using our online specs (listed below), but be sure to run online with tire wear / fuel consumption set to off. The tire compound specified is the primary option and is a reasonable target for D2-D3 drivers. If you are having a hard time achieving the target lap time without exceeding the max speed then you can use a tire one compound softer. If you are D1 and/or alien driver you can use a tire one compound harder to achieve your result.

You can:
  • Use a car stock (but please break it in and change oil so your power is constant)
  • Use a fully tuned car (any parts as long as you meet the requirements)
  • Use ballast or power limiter to fine tune your achievable times
  • Use a clutch and any shifter (as long as you use it when you set your times)
  • Use any view (cockpit, etc. as long as you use it to set your times and as long as you can drive safely and maintain situation awareness)
  • Use ABS (or not) -- as long as you use the same settings to achieve the target time

You will have to put some practice time in to get consistent with the car/track and fine tune your setup as you improve and approach the target time. We may even organize a few of these session prior to the event, but for now just post to this thread if you want to use the lounge for practice and invite others to join. If you don't prepare enough and are still on a steep part of your learning curve when you show up for the event you are likely to improve significantly during the race and create an imbalance. We will have some procedures to correct that during an event, but the more prepared you are the better the racing will be for everyone.

Feel free to use this thread to discuss the best approach to converging on the best specs for you. Choose a car that you can be consistent with. If you have trouble with consistency choose an easier handling car or opt for the softer compound. The idea is for everyone to have a shot at a win and be able to negotiate traffic safely.

Once you have a car and spec picked you can sign up for the event and use the registration form in the 3rd post. You'll be asked some details about the car and specs. You can update your specs at any time by filling out the registration form again. If you are interested and want to save your car choice for later just put in TBD in the fields. This will help us get an advanced measure of interest for any event.

Event Settings
  • Game Mode: Normal Race
  • Laps: Two 10 minute sprints (6 laps) + two 20 minute features (11 laps)
  • Start Type: Grid Start
  • Grid Order: Race 1 - Fastest First | All Other - Reverse Grid Based On Previous Race Results
  • Boost: No
  • Slipstream strength: Weak
  • Penalty: Off
  • Automatic Race Start Cycle: Disabled
  • Race Finish Delay: Set to the max 180 secs
  • Grip Reduction: Real
  • Mechanical Damage: Light
  • Visible Damage: Off
  • Tire Wear / Fuel Consumption: Off
  • Skid Recovery Force | Active Steering | ASM: Disabled
  • TCS | Driving Line | ABS: Optional
  • Pits: Closed

Standard Clean OLR Rules Apply:
  • Unless otherwise specified, all rules from the original WRS event apply.
  • You are expected to drive clean at all times as if you are racing in the WRS. All participants are required to follow the GTPlanet Online Racing Rules & Guidelines.
  • 3D3 Race Stewards (who are taking part in race, but will review the replay) reserve the right to kick out or invalidate the result of any driver from the Race Room for driving offensively. If you ignore any warnings from the stewards and are kicked out of the race room, you will not be allowed to participate in future 3D3 events.
  • Contact with walls should be avoided. Wall riding/bouncing to gain time will be penalized and/or can result in disqualification.
  • Rumble/ripple strips are part of the track
  • Runoff areas are not part of the track including green painted concrete.
  • Limit your contact with walls or objects, visible or invisible
  • No hybrids
  • No cheating of any kind
  • Nothing that goes against the spirit of the rules
  • Passing and Blocking: Aggressive blocking is not permitted, but the driver in front has the right to choose his/her line and braking point and drivers behind should respect that line. These events are "for fun" so just play nice and take a conservative rather than an aggressive approach when possible.

Stewards Notes:
This combo will be tricky and demand patience... good luck!

Good Luck, OLR Team:gtplanet:

Last edited:
Just working on my car now, I would like to run a car stock, but can someone clarify whether Downforce adjustments on the aero (it has a wing stock) are allowed to be classed as 'stock'?

That's a tough one , but going by the game standards I'd say it's tuned.

Tuned if you change the downfoce values , that is.
Entering track with tuning prohibited would deny access. Thus it must be tuned.

That's a tough one , but going by the game standards I'd say it's tuned.

Tuned if you change the downfoce values , that is.
Entering track with tuning prohibited would deny access. Thus it must be tuned.

Yeh, I was guessing that it would make it tuned, so I built the car without changing it. Thanks for the clarification though. :)

Jumping in the main lounge (GTP_3D3Racing) to test out a few cars.

Yeah :dopey: I was eagerly awaiting the day to do an online race with the excellent quality of drivers found here on the Madrid street course!

Signed up for this, hope to be able to do some testing in the next days, no clue about what car to use :confused:

Signed up for this, hope to be able to do some testing in the next days, no clue about what car to use :confused:

I've got some smaller race cars in my garage wich I have been looking forward to race them, now is gonna be the time I guess....

Quiet this week. Probably not too bad a thing to have a relatively small grid at Madrid. I'll be on practicing and fine tuning the car at 8:30 Pacific.

Maybe tomorrow around 21:00 GMT I'll be in the lounge... Would be fun to do a couple practice races.

I am going to register for Saturday (waiting for the HP and PP to finalize), letting Bob fully break it in, then will tune it. Ran some laps with just oil change and top speed was good, have to tune to the suggested lap time.

Signed up and driving the closest thing I can get to the real life race car. ;)

<--------------------

Realized I hadn't actually signed up, fixed.

I have the same car prepared as Tim's initial choice if I can't prepare anything else. Fell asleep browsing some options last night.... when I should have been practicing.

Maybe tomorrow around 21:00 GMT I'll be in the lounge... Would be fun to do a couple practice races.

I should be on around that time ill see if I can hop in for some practice

I'll be in the lounge for a while, need to sort a car out.

EDIT: Done

Last edited:
Weapon ........ selected :cool:

Probably a good choice to switch from the Opel. I like the car, but I don't think I have any chance to finish near the front. I can run the target time by myself, but I make up all my time under braking... narrow and dangerous braking zones where there is no chance to safely pass under deceleration. I get destroyed under acceleration as this thing has no "get up and go" with the stock tranny.

So I ditched the wing and went with a custom tranny hoping to pack the low gears tight and get quicker out of corners. The idea was to pack 1-3 very tight and then space out 4 and 5 so the car gets good acceleration early, but then acceleration slows as top speed nears... The new tranny stabilizes the car instantly so enabled me to ditch the wing (which was a driver safety requirement with the stock tranny).

The car is a tad harder to handle and braking is slightly longer... it's harder to be consistent, but still 1 of 5 laps can be *very* fast if everything is perfect... (hard with this beast, but not impossible)... so I had to add ballast to handicap those golden laps... now I'm back to slow out of corners with the extra weight and have a harder to handle car that isn't as good under braking. Whoopie! :lol:

But it's a lot cooler without the wing so I'm going to stick with that. I've got a winged version ready in the garage in case it's a disaster. :sly: If I try a pass under braking against you guys who bring rocket ships you'll know why. :scared:

One issue with this track is it's so technical that there is a ton of speed to be gained. It takes a long time to go down that learning curve and we don't use this track much so many of us aren't as quick. I have a feeling a few people are going to put in a few golden laps and be surprised... It's not unreasonable to have an outlier 0.6-0.7 faster than the norm until you start consistently nailing all the tricky bits. My only hope is enough of you reach this point before the race and have to slow your cars for the target also. If JTV and Pekka show up with the cars they had in practice last week I'm dead in the water. Oh well, I try and be the gnat that distracts you guys.

PS> This is the reason we're using small cars... otherwise the big ones will just out muscle everyone in the straight and be impossible to get by in the corners. Who would have thought Kevin would be in a "muscle car" even though he's driving an MR2. :lol:

PPS> Scott (Tomstoneplt)... I see you chose the Alpine... funny, I saw that in the OCD and thought long and hard about switching to it before deciding to make the above changes to the Opel. There are a few '73 Alpine models and I don't think I ever drove one of them. Being a '73 I'm sure the handling is tricky though. Nice choice.

PPPS> Has anyone tried to configure a Ginetta G4 '64 for this combo? With a few power upgrades it might be a nice choice.

Last edited:
I was thinking the G4 would be a good car for this, after seeing Johnnypenso liking his so much over in the DeadNuts thread. 👍

I can't make either of the races this weekend, but there's a small chance I could stop by for some practice tonight. :)

I can't make either of the races this weekend, but there's a small chance I could stop by for some practice tonight. :)

Let's do it. I can be on late tonight (after 8:30 PM Pacific) and it was fun last week. We can run some practice races if we can get Kevin to show up too. Maybe a few other night owls too!

Tombstoneplt
Stepping in the Lounge to try out my car. First time setting it up so anyone stopping, have patience.

Scott

Will also join the lounge later for testing. See you there 👍

Yah, I'll be in the lounge in about 20-30 minutes myself.

Urgh, was gunna come in for some practice too but am gunna be busy for a while this evening. Ill check the lobby when im done to see if anyones still in but might not be for a while.

The G4 and Alpine A110S are deathtraps, but they're really rather cool ones :sly: Thought about both of them, and two of the older Lotuses (Élan, Europa), couldn't quite get an FC RX7 under (1060kg! :mad:). Detuned FT86 Concept was too much car on C3s; didn't enjoy my old Bluebird Rally car here. Then I tried the ol' Z :D .... I've still got the VX220 set up from testing, also.

The Toyota 2000GT is also eligible, I think, if you want a Bond car.

I think passing (or at least setting up) in the brake zones, at least for the long complex turns, is possible, but It will be awfully dicey if there's more than a one-on-one going on.

After having needed to try this track in various AWD and FF cars (and running away as fast as possible), I'm amazed at how much more I like it with manageable oversteer.

Last edited:
Back