◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,795 comments
Brakes are your enemy (subtly muttered under his breath by the Grim Reaper...)

Excessive braking will kill your speed.

Insufficient braking kills something else.

At least here, it is virtual.

=};-{D#

Or how about we have a day where worst and some other true aliens take a few people out on track and give them a few tips and tricks

Brakes are your enemy (subtly muttered under his breath by the Grim Reaper...)

Excessive braking will kill your speed.

Insufficient braking kills something else.

At least here, it is virtual.

=};-{D#

LOL, i would say that insufficient braking kills EVERYTHING else

Not that I'm a pro at braking. I do feel that is a spot the keeps me from being "worst driver" good. However I do know that progressive pressure is key. Bring on the initial hard and and release progressively. Once you set the nose and scuff some speed it doesn't take much brake pressure. Also try a modulating brake motion.

Adding some tension to the pedal. Like a stiffer spring could benefit too.

There is a progressive spring available for the G27. Not nixim's another. It's rumored to be awesome.

Yea I'd have to say I'm in the same boat with you Owens. In real life I use the brakes to control the entry of the corner and it's a real finesse thing. In GT5 it's a crap shoot whether or not I get the right speed and control under braking. It's not that I can't do it it's just not consistent for me. I think the muscle memory I've got from the real thing messes me up when I use a sim controller. I'm hoping that the load cell mod once I finally get it makes the difference I need because I just can't seem to find the last bit of speed I need to be alien fast.

The other thing I struggle with is with high horsepower cars is not being to conservative on the gas. I'm either too conservative or to aggressive. I know that some people go up a gear coming off the corner which I've tried but I feel slow doing that.

It's amazing to me that with such a powerful force feedback motor on the T500 they couldn't give you the feeling of the front sliding or the back losing traction. I drive so much by feel that missing those senses makes it hard to get the last bit. Oh well rant off.

Last edited:
Hill try FFB 3. I am using less hand grip and this allows more feel from the fingers. In turn better feel when car looses traction. If that makes sense.

Worth the try.

The other thing I struggle with is with high horsepower cars not being to conservative on the gas. I'm either too conservative or to aggressive. I know that some people go up a gear coming off the corner which I've tried but I feel slow doing that.

The overpowered cars seem to leave me two modes: Grandma speed, and nobody is impressed, and Braking News: Handlebar Dead Again!

I am boggled at the idea that hp cars lead to 'too conservative' moments. I believe they exist, but, man,.... Too conservative and epic hp is rarely a problem. Not conservative enough and epic horsepower... That is a problem of a different color...

Hill try FFB 3. I am using less hand grip and this allows more feel from the fingers. In turn better feel when car looses traction. If that makes sense.

Worth the try.

That's the setting I have it at. I honestly don't feel like I get much useful feed back though and really don't feel the front tires lose grip when they do.

The overpowered cars seem to leave me two modes: Grandma speed, and nobody is impressed, and Braking News: Handlebar Dead Again!

I am boggled at the idea that hp cars lead to 'too conservative' moments. I believe they exist, but, man,.... Too conservative and epic hp is rarely a problem. Not conservative enough and epic horsepower... That is a problem of a different color...

I forgot to put a word in so that didn't make sense.

Anyways and changing subject.... I was very excited to finally be able to practice with the D1 guys so last night i filled my lungs, took a deep breath and prepared myself to kick those D1 guys a s s e s, eheheheh.
Now, I don't really know how i feel about such experience since my a s s was simply burned down by them!!!! like.... i don't get it!!!! How the **** can this guys be so damn quick??? I saw Hillracing passing me and 3 corners after he was gone!!! What kind of steroids do you guys feed your playstations?
That's it... for now on i'm practicing with D4 and D5 guys before i lose confidence in myself and start questioning everything about my driving.

I LOVE driving against the D1 guys...its always so much more fun to get my a$$ handed to me, and watch, while trying to keep up (which usually results in me driving so much faster than normal), than always running with the usual suspects...It was also nice to be able to drive with you and Wolf again.

I was only around for the 1st two races last night, but managed to put in some competitive laps...only my slight off at the end of the 2nd race dropped me down to 6th...I *might* have been able to hold those snaliens off...

My biggest problem (and I've mentioned this to Wolf before), is driving beyond my capabilities...as I noted to Owens before the race when I was concerned about starting up front, and he said "just WOT"..I'm good at 8.5/10ths, but once I start pushing harder the sliding starts, and I find myself in a wall, or spinning out of control... I have to work hard to keep is slower sometimes.

I definitely agree with controlling the braking - each corner I do well in, I find I use little if any brakes as I turn in, and the car is perfectly balanced..its really satisfying (especially in real life!)

and this...

Just a little tip: Instead of getting on off the gas during cornering, only give throttle when you're sure that can held it all the way down.

I remember watching a Top Gear a while ago when James May (I think) was being taught by a classic racer to lap a track during one of the challenges...It's the one piece of advice I remember from that session: wait until you can put the gas on, and not have to take your foot off, when coming out of a turn.

Last edited:
I remember watching a Top Gear a while ago when James May (I think) was being taught by a classic racer to lap a track during one of the challenges...It's the one piece of advice I remember from that session: wait until you can put the gas on, and not have to take your foot off, when coming out of a turn.

That's exactly where I got that piece of advice. That classic racer was Sir Jackie Stewart. :sly:

That's exactly where I got that piece of advice. That classic racer was Sir Jackie Stewart. :sly:

And if I remember correctly that is the "racing apex" as opposed to the mathematical apex of the curve. They are rarely in the same place.

Hi All,

Posting here to let you know I am moving to D4. I requested this and zero and cheeb kindly allowed it mid season.

My reasons have nothing to do with the great racers and fine folks in D3 - you guys are awesome and you race clean. The reason is that I felt I was not at all competitive in this division, and I was holding others in the league up during qualifying and racing. The time I have to practice in the cars is dwindling due to a very busy time at work and at my current skill level I needed much more time in the cars before Sunday to compete with the D3 pace. I have time on Monday night but that usually doesn't help because new car combos come out Tuesday or Wednesday.

Hopefully I will receive the same warm welcome in D4 as I received in D3, from what I hear this is an awesome group too.

I will be taking on the responsibility of photographer for D4. (This will be great to use some of that open Monday night time on) If any other photogs have some advice on how you make this work efficiently I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Being that there is currently nothing scheduled for Tuesday night, how many SNAILs would be interested in an oval racing series running on Tuesdays at 11pm ET? I haven't worked out all the details yet but I'm thinking the racing would be about an hour in length and we would rotate between four tracks with the winner picking the car for the next week. It would be one car spec racing with tuning prohibited so there would be some restrictions on what the winner could pick. For example, it would have to be able to go around the superspeedways without hitting the rev limiter in the draft. We would use four tracks each month to crown a monthly champion, Daytona SS, Indy SS, Motegi SS, and High Speed Ring. I now HSR isn't an oval but it has a lot of the same characteristics of an oval and I think it would be better racing than Route X.

If you are interested in running something like this, either post here or PM me and if there are a few interested, I'll create another thread and go from there.

Being that there is currently nothing scheduled for Tuesday night, how many SNAILs would be interested in an oval racing series running on Tuesdays at 11pm ET? I haven't worked out all the details yet but I'm thinking the racing would be about an hour in length and we would rotate between four tracks with the winner picking the car for the next week. It would be one car spec racing with tuning prohibited so there would be some restrictions on what the winner could pick. For example, it would have to be able to go around the superspeedways without hitting the rev limiter in the draft. We would use four tracks each month to crown a monthly champion, Daytona SS, Indy SS, Motegi SS, and High Speed Ring. I now HSR isn't an oval but it has a lot of the same characteristics of an oval and I think it would be better racing than Route X.

If you are interested in running something like this, either post here or PM me and if there are a few interested, I'll create another thread and go from there.

Bowler's round room!👍 Sign me up!

If I wasn't committed on Tuesday's I'd of been all for some Oval racing.

Hopefully you get plenty of interest.

SNAIL Triple R!

Roundy Round Racing!

That would be AWSOME!!! I was actually thinking about putting something like this together myself if ESCarGOT didn't take off, but thankfully it did. I've still been itching for some oval action though. I think the Corvette at Twin Ring SS was one of the best combos we've ever had.

Hi All,

Posting here to let you know I am moving to D4. I requested this and zero and cheeb kindly allowed it mid season.

My reasons have nothing to do with the great racers and fine folks in D3 - you guys are awesome and you race clean. The reason is that I felt I was not at all competitive in this division, and I was holding others in the league up during qualifying and racing. The time I have to practice in the cars is dwindling due to a very busy time at work and at my current skill level I needed much more time in the cars before Sunday to compete with the D3 pace. I have time on Monday night but that usually doesn't help because new car combos come out Tuesday or Wednesday.

Hopefully I will receive the same warm welcome in D4 as I received in D3, from what I hear this is an awesome group too.

I will be taking on the responsibility of photographer for D4. (This will be great to use some of that open Monday night time on) If any other photogs have some advice on how you make this work efficiently I would appreciate it.

Thanks

I just left DIV4 and i'm pretty sure you will have a nice warm welcome over there as the division is filled with very, very nice people. It's less aggressive than DIV3 and just as clean. The boss over there is cmbeal, one of the nicest guys i've ever met on GT5.
Good luck for you Jester.

Sounds like a lark, Bowler, and at a time I could more easily manage. I'm in.

Now I'm going to be annoying and make a suggestion before the series has even started: any thought on an occasional longer event? Perhaps something scaled like a "Daytona 150" or somesuch that may necessitate pit stops? (Could even add heavy damage if you're going to have to pit, anyway...)

Back