My 9hrs of Tsukuba, talk about tough

• Thread starter stevenk27
  • 11 comments
South Africa
RSA
12 July 2013
I have spent the last 2 days testing prospective cars, they were the Cusco Subaru race car(too fast), Nissan Silvia RM(too fast), I have however settled on using this car: Honda Civic Type R(EK) RM '97
I have run tests and it laps in the 1:00 to 1:02 range. It is FF and so too much corner speed and throttle leads to massive understeer. I am however running

it completely stock with nor tuning and it is anew car that has had no running in.
My cars specs are 245BHP, 845kg and 478PP-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Starting grid:
BNR34 Skyline GT-R V-spec N1 base...
CT230R '08
Amemiya FD3S RX-7
S2000 GT1 '04
Stage II R32
G37
ME
IS F Racing Concept '08
Gran Turismo 350Z RS
BNR34 Skyline GT-R N1 '06
FT565 twin turbo Audi TT
Nismo 380RS Super Leggera

Lap 1. I run a 1:03.037 and am in 5th place after diving through from 7th on the first turn. I'm much slower on the straights but quicker through the turns.
Lap 3. 5th place but 10 seconds down already. I did a 1:01.859
Lap 4. 6th place now after running wide, I am now 13 seconds down having done a 1:01.947. I decide to abandon the race as I am just too handicapped IMO.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So I will attempt the race again but have added the following to be more competitive:
Race air filter, Sports exhaust manifold and I have adjusted my brake bias to 4:7.
My specs are now 263BHP, 845kg and 488PP. Lets see how this goes.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Starting grid:
Carbon R (R34) '04
BNR34 Skyline GT-R V-spec N1 base...
Lancer evolution VI '00
Nismo 380RS Super leggera
Gran Turismo 350Z RS
350Z '04
ME
Gran Turismo Skyline GT-R '01
Skyline GT-R S-tune(R32) '00
Option Stream Z '04
Amemiya FD3S RX-7
CT230R '08
Session 1, stint 1
Lap 1. I do a 1:01.793, I am 3rd behind the Carbon R and BNR34 but ahead of the Lancer Evo.
Lap 2. I do a 1:01.118, the Nismo 380RS is now in 4th and catching me. I'm 4sec behind the 2 lead cars.
Lap 9. I'm almost 7 sec behind now. Settled into and steady pace at 1:01.1xx, I'm keeping 4th at bay but only just with about a 1 sec gap between us..
Lap 12. The 4th place Nismo is getting quicker. He pulls up along side me on the back straight but I brake later and get on the inside of the last corner to
keep 3rd. My best lap so far is on Lap 10, a 1:00.791. I'm now 10 seconds behind the lead.
Lap 19. I do a 1;01.691 and the Nismo gets me across the start line I brake late and take a wide, outside line trying to carry more corner speed. We exit
side by side but he pulls ahead before the hairpin, I brake late and dive up the inside though and retake 3rd. I'm now 11seconds behind with the 2 lead cars still close together.
Lap 25. i do a 1:02.161, I've adjusted my racing lines to sweep through the turns with more corner speed. i've also adjusted my shifting to 8000rpm instead of 9000rpm as it seems to be better for acceleration and tyre life. Tyres are at about 70% on the front, rears look good for 2 stints at least. We are also starting to catch up to the backmarkers now.
Lap 30-43. We have caught the backmarkers. My laptimes have settled in the low 1:02's and I still fending off the Nismo, we are however catching the 2 lead cars. Now 6.9seconds behind.
Lap 49. 3 seconds behind now. My front tyres are really going at about 40%, fuel just above half. Will aim for 60 laps but not looking good. I'm still in the
mid 1:02's though so thats good.
Lap 51. I take 2nd on the inside on the BNR34 at the first hairpin, get good drive out and get up the inside of the Carbon R at the next right before the
bridge. I'm 1st, but the BNR34 gets me on the back straight. I manage to dive up the inside carrying lots of corner speed and get 1st back.
Lap 55. The Carbon R pulls out in front of me from the pits, I get up the inside of turn 1 though and put him a lap down. I'm 2 seconds ahead of 2nd, my front tyres are done now, running mid 1:03's. Having to deal with massive understeer, will pit on lap 60.
Lap 60, I dive for the pits, overshoot and try to nip back in. They force me through the pits with no pitstop, Damnit!!! I do a 1:09.410 outlap and have to go for the pits on lap 61, down to 6th.
I suspend the race to make Breakfast. Will put on new front, keeping the rears and add maybe 25litres of fuel.

13 July 2013
Session 2, Stint 2 Time on clock is 1:03:18.949
I pit and put on new RH tyres front and rear, top-up with 25 litres of fuel and exit pits in 7th position.
Lap 62, outlap from pitstop was 1:26.554 and I'm now 44seconds down on 1st but they still need to pit so I'm hopeful.
Lap 65, I pass the Gran Turismo skyline while he pits to take 6th
Lap 66, I post the fastest lap so far of 1:00.405.
Lap 67, I pass the Gran Turismo 350Z for 5th position, now 39seconds down
Lap 68, I pass the pits and take 4th, not sure who it is I passed though
Lap 72, I pass the BNR34 for 2nd place while he pits. Not sure who is first though.
Lap 73,I notice I'm only 1second behind first and realize it is the CTR230R who I have been stalking for the last 4 laps
Lap 74, I dive up the inside of the CTR230R on the brakes at the first hairpin and take 1st position.
Lap 78, I lap the Lancer Evo and then the Option Z straight afterwards and the CTR pits behind me, I'm still first now 12seconds up.
Lap 79, My lead is now 26seconds, looks like the backmarkers are holding the BNR34 up. I'm still running consistently in the mid 1;01's.
Lap 90, Mid way through my second stint, running mid 1:01's, 33 seconds ahead now.
Lap 98, I run off at the last corner and post a lap time of 1:08.037. They are catching me at a second a lap, I'm now 22 seconds ahead.
lap 105, My laptimes are now in the mid 1:02's and the CTR is right behind me and determined to unlap himself. It is an intense battle to kee ahead, I'm now
only 4.5seconds ahead.
Lap 109, I get overtaken by the BNR34 and drop to second but still running mid to high 1:02's.
Lap 117, My tyres are shot and I have to pit. Get a fresh set of RH's front and rear and take on 25litres of fuel. I exit the pits in 3rd and am now 48seconds down.
Lap 128, I overtake the Amemiya RX-7 for second place, now 44seconds down.
Lap 144, I pass the BNR34 for 1st place while he pits. He is running 72 lap stints compared to me doing between 55 and 60 laps per stint. We are running similar pace though so it's not looking good. Show me as being 44seconds ahead now.
Lap 171, My tyres are shot and so I pit and suspend the race from 1st position with a 2.6 second lead over the BNR34 in 2nd.

In summary so far:
So far I need to pit more often while running at the same pace on fresh rubber. When the tyres deteriorate I have to fight to maintain a 1:01 laptime to keep the gaps steady, any mistakes and I lose time instantly. So far it doesn't seem good for a win. I will push on though and see how it goes.
The time is now 2:57:28.416 on the clock so it's a little under 1/3 of the way now. By halfway I will reassess and see where I'm at and how to proceed. I don't really want to race a full 9hrs to finish 2nd or worse.

A third of the way and a great report. 👍 At this point I can still see you winning this. The AI fade from the half way point so I say stick at it and the race will come to you.

A third of the way and a great report. 👍 At this point I can still see you winning this. The AI fade from the half way point so I say stick at it and the race will come to you.

Will agree that the AI fade after a while but to be completely honest the AI in GT5 isn't that good from the start.

13th July 2013

Session 3, Stint 3 Time on clock 2:57:28.416

Lap 172, I pit and put on anew set of RH's front and rear, I top-up with 35Litres of fuel and exit the pits in 3rd position.
Lap 175, I run wide and go off the track at the last turn pushing too hard to try and catch the front runners. My lap time is 1:06.433 and I'm now 46seconds down. Time to knuckle down and set some fast laps.
Lap 176, I post my fastest lap of 1:00.118
Lap 195, I running in the mid to high 1:01's. It's becoming harder to keep the times as my tyres are dropping off. This car with it's standard settings suffers badly from understeer which becomes worse as the tyres wear down. This means that I am having to push hard and run wide a few times. I'm now 43seconds down still in 3rd place. Leaders appear to be running low to mid 1:01's, I can see this by comparing the gaps around the track. My middle sector is where I struggle leaving the first hairpin. Playing with a controller means theres no half throttle and I have resorted to feathering the throttle, I have been using this method for braking and it works weell letting me brake later and still making the apex's.
Lap 206, I am running mid to high 1:01's. it seems I have miscalculated the fuel and am now running dangerously low, the tyres are good for more laps but it seems I may have to pit early because a small fueling error. Damn!! In the meantime I see I am now 2nd, when you get into a rhythm you tend to miss who is in the pits when flying across the line.
Lap 216, I pass the BNR34 for 1st position as he is stopped in the pits, unfortunately I will have to pit soon myself. This will cost me as I am still running mid 1:01's and should push on.

Stint 4

Lap 219, I pit for new RH's front and rear and put in 60litres of fuel. Don't want to run short again!! I was 19seconds ahead and now exit in 3rd again and 40seconds down.
Lap 255, I push too hard and run wide into the gravel on the last corner. I set a laptime of 1:08.786. I am toying with the idea of changing to RM's on the next stop. I need to be running 1:00 laptimes or faster to be able to fight for the win as I am losing too much time to the leaders and I just cannot go any quicker. I am now 48seconds down and will be needing to pit soon.
Lap 270, I manage to pass the BNR34 and pull a small gap but he closes up behind me again very quickly.
Lap 273, I dive into the pits. I managed to keep the BNR at bay and actually pull a slight gap. I havealso managed to start reeling in the 1st placed Amemiya so that I can unlap myself.

In summary so far:

This stint has flown by and I haven't managed to get as many notes done because I am trying to not interrrupt my rhythm, it hasn't helped much as I am still only keeping up with the front 2 for the first 15laps after pitting, from then on they are just plain faster than me and there is nothing I can do. I do believe that I will pull out the RM's for the next stint or 2 and see how it goes. I'm hoping the quicker laptimes will make up for the extra pit stops that might be needed. Currently I am running 60-65 laps per stint so perhaps I can get 50-55laps on the RM's.

15 July 2013

Session 4 Stint 5 Time on clock 4:43:59.900

Lap 274, So I pit and put on a set of new RM's and 60litres of fuel. I exit the pits in 3rd 1 lap down and post an outlap of 1:45.918
Lap 275, I set the fastest lap of 1:00.089
Lap 278, I set another fastest lap of 59.595
Lap 283, I run wide at the last corner and get lapped by the second placed Amemiya
Lap 284, I manage to fight back and overtake the Amemiya and unlap myself in the process setting a fastest lap of 59.445. The BNR34 pits and I unlap myself. Now 57seconds down
Lap 327, I pit with the first placed Amemiya right behind me. I have had to push for the last 20 laps to stay ahead of him and my tyres are now shot. I managed to run consistent mid 1:00's for the first 20 laps, then dropped to mid 1:01'2 for another 20 and then maybe 5 in the low 1:02's before deciding to pit.

Stint 6 Time on clock 5:39:26.850

Lap 328 I am lapped as I pitted by the Amemiya. I put on another set of RM's and put in 55litres of fuel. Still no sign of the AI fading as I poat an outlap of 1:38.448
Lap 330, The Carbon R pits, not sure if I've lapped him or unlapped myself now. The leaders should still need to pit.
Lap 333, I lap the Gran turismo 350Z and Gran Turismo skyline, running mid 59sec.
Lap 334, I lap the Gran Turismo skyline yet again as he pits.
Lap 344, I'm lapping in the mid to high 59sec's, I can't judge whether I am gaining or losing time as being a lap down you dont see time splits just 1 Lap. I am catching a string of cars with the CTR230 just ahead of me. I can't make out the other cars yet as they are out of sight.
Lap 345, I lap the CTR230 with the Opera Z about a second ahead of me. I manage to get the Opera Z into the final hairpin and can now see the Carbon R and BNR34 ahead of me on the straight.
Lap 351, I catch and pass the BNR34 and remain 3rd having only unlapped myself. Running mid 1:01's now with about 25 more laps in this stint left to drive.
Lap 352 I cross the line and am now 1:03.698 behind, I guess the BNR was in first and we are now all on the same lap including the Amemiya.
Lap 359, Running low 1:01's and I manage to pass the BNR34 for 2nd while he pits. Confused as to how the Amemiya got ahead of him. Ineed to stop soon but it will be a quick splash and dash as I am running with plenty of fuel.
Lap 375, I dive into the pits from 2nd, 40seconds behind first placed Amemiya. Time on clock is now 6:30:12.617

In summary so far:
The RM's are helping but I fear it may be too little too late. I will continue on them and push as hard as I dare for the win but at this point it could go either way. It will be a day or 3 before I can complete the race as I am away from home for work but will be done by the weekend I hope. Will update.

Last edited:
17 July 2013

Session 5 Stint 7 Time on clock 6:30:12.617

Lap 376, I pitted and put on a set of RM's and 45litres of fuel. I exit the pits in 3rd again a lap down. My outlap is a 1:24.576
Lap 384, I am running consistently in the mid 59second's, still a lap down. I come past the pits and lap the CTR230R.
Lap 388, I manage to lap the Gran turismo GTR, Gran turismo skyling and the Lancer evo. Was a busy lap, but now running high 59seconds.
Lap 390, I lap the Stream Z, Opera Z and Carbon R but still a lap down.
Lap 397, After running consisten laps I am now catching the Amemiya and BNR34, very slowly though.
Lap 405 and 406, This has been a very strange 2 laps indeed. On lap 405 I was 1 lap behind in 3rd and when I passed the start line on lap 406 I was now 1:03 seconds behind yet at the first split I am now 3 seconds up??? It's as if I was now given an extra lap for no reason.
Lap 426, I will have to pit the next lap. I am pretty sure that either the 2nd or 3rd placed car pits and exits just as I enter the last corner so it should be close on exit as I will not need any fuel for the final 40minutes of the race. I am now 1 seconds ahead but I think the Amemiya is 3rd having just exited the pits and the BNR34 is 2nd, 12 seconds behind me.

19 July 2013

Session 6 Stint 8 Time on clock 7:21:11.786

Lap 427, I exit the pits in 3rd with a fresh set of Rm's and an additional 20litres of fuel. My outlap is 1:21.054 and I am now almost 13sec down.
Lap 428, I lap the opera Z at the first hairpin, now 12 sec down
Lap 431, I have an off track moment at the final corner, again, and set a laptime of 1:04.452 but as I pass the pits I take second place and am now 2nd and 11sec down after getting it to 9sec before my run off track.
Lap 432, I lap the BNr34 just as he is about to exit the pits, lapping in the mid 59seconds.
Lap 434, I get a good slipstream assist from the 350Z and set a fastest lap of 59.397. The first placed Amemiya is pulling away from me now, was 9.9seconds ahead but now 10seconds ahead.
Lap 452, I have taken 1st place. I have been stalking the Amemiya for the last 15 laps or so pulling a few tenths per lap back when suddenly the gap starts falling in chunks. Backmarkers. I manage to catch up to them and dive up the inside of the Amemiya and CTR230R at the first hairpin and outdrag them to the next right turn and take 1st. That happened 3 laps ago, couldn't bear to put the controller down. I am now 5 seconds ahead and can see him still behind the CTR on the back straight. Time on the clock is now 7:46:46.333.
Lap 460, I am still in 1st place and lapping in the high 1:00's with a 20second lead.
Lap 467, I am now lapping in the low 1:01's, 23 seconds ahead. I will have to pit one last time though. Will hold out as long as I can keep up these laptimes.
Lap 473, I lap the Amemiya as he pits. I will also pit this lap as my time have now dropped to the low 1:02's and there is no point in holding out any longer.

Stint 9 Time on clock :8:11:01:760

Lap 473, I pull into pitlane and put on a fresh set of RM's and add 35litres of fuel. I exit in 1st place still with an outlap of 1:33.433. I am 23seconds ahead.
Lap 490, I am lapping in the high 59sec and am 38seconds ahead and steadily building on it. As my pace drops the gap should also fall, I'm hoping I have enough on the rest to finish 1st. 32:48 on the countdown clock now.
Lap 505, I am now running in the mid 1:01's. The BNR34 pits and I lap him. I am now 54sec ahead and I can just make out the Amemiya ahead of me.
Lap 506, I lap the BNR34 yet again while he is in the pits. Why the long stop at this time of the race???
Lap 513, The BNR34 unlaps himself, I let him through as I don't want to risk an off track excursion now. My tyres are going off but I am still 42secondsa ahead and can afford to relax a bit now.
Lap 522, I cross the line in 1st having slowed right down on the back straight to avoid having to do another lap. The results show me winning by 1 lap but is was more like 30seconds in the end.

Final summary:
So in closing it was a great race in a very underpowered car in comparison to the competition.
The car suffers from massive understeer with the standard suspension settings which wears the front tyres out and prevents you from keeping the laptimes up. The left front in particular, probably down to the higher number of right turns??
I did have to change my strategy halfway by running RM's, I do however believe it was still a fair and pretty good race in the end and wasn't boring at all. I won't be doing it anytime soon though but there is a 4hr Nurburgring race to complete now which I was thinking might be fun in a Caterham seven or the little Suzuki GSXR car and then also the 1000km Suzuka and both 24hr races.
Hope you enjoyed the report and let me know what you think.

An exciting race and a great report.

When I did this race I quite liked it, despite the sometimes monotonous laps.

I'd definitely go for the 4Hr Nurburgring if I was you, that's a really good race, although you might need more power and top speed than you'll get from the Caterham!

There's a very good thread on this race (The Nurburgring 4Hr Companion) with lots of information on previous runs.

Well done.

Thanks very much iainn.
It can get monotonous and thats where using a properly selected car for a close race is better. You really have to concentrate to keep the laptimes consistent to win. When you are in a rhythm the laps tend to fly by anyway.
Thanks I will read the thread and then select an appropriate car after some tests.

Nice run there. Managed to get it reasonably close in the end. 👍

When you take a look at that thread just bear in mind that it is quite old and the physics change as the tyre updates were made by PD. All the updates are labelled as you go through which makes it a little easier.

And I agree, you're Caterham will have to go some through the turns to stay ahead on the straights. Anything less than 145-150mph on the main straight and you'll be swamped. Good luck.

Thanks axletramp, the 4hr might be a race where I could use my Cusco Dunlop Subaru.
Will do a few test laps, seems if you can keep a 9min dead lap and avoid the S2000GT1 turbo you should be good for a close race.

This is my next endurance race, just finished the 4 hr Nurburgring, was fun. Though l killed it using an academy edition GT-R, was good fun though. For this race l'l try using your vehicle of choice stevenk27

Back