PS2 Evolution and General Hardware Help

• Thread starter oosacker
  • 55 comments
I thought this was quite interesting(read this on a Japanese game site):

The PS2 hardware, in Japan, has gone through a history of fixes and updates, as you can see below. Translated by me, OOSACKER :D.

(1)The first version, SCPH-10000 had MANY issues regarding DVD playback and memory card use. Such as:
-Memory being erased or broken in memory card.
-The disk tray had problems opening and closing.
-DVD player 1.0 was not region locked.
-The optical out was dodgy.
-The memory card connection was dodgy.
-When playing a DVD, using a specific machine allowed copying.
The machine came with a memory card.

(2)Version 2. SCPH-15000 had a fixed DVD player. And some swapped parts to increase manufacturing productivity.

(3)Version 3. SCPH-18000
-The DVD player was put into the ROM inside the machine instead of the memory card.
-The Memory card was not included in the package anymore. But the remote was included instead.
-The DVD playback did not work in RGB anymore.

(4)Version 4. SCPH-30000.
-The expansion bay was changed to accomodate broadband, and HDD.
-The CPU manufacturing process was changed to 18micron from 25. Reduced heat production.
-Fan was made more powerful and noisier.

(5)Version 4a. SCPH-35000 GT.
Came in a red box with GT3 ASpec :) . Virtually indentical to the one above.

(6)Version 4.5. SCPH-37000L.
Limited Edition model in transparent Ocean Blue colour. The power rating was changed from 47w to 39w.

(7)Version 4b. SCPH-37000B.
Special limited edition model which came in Zen Black colouring.
Vertical stand and remote was standard in the package.

(8)Version 5(?). SCPH-39000.
Looked exactly the same except the manufacturing cost was cheaper, and fought for people's money during the Christmas period.

(9)Version 6. SCPH-50000.
-Support for DVD+-R/DVD-R formats.
-DVD progressive mode support.
-25% quieter operation.
-Added an IR receiver to the front, receiver not needed to stick into the controller port.
-iLINK port disappeared. :odd:
-New remote control came out with ON/OFF button.

My PS2 is a SCPH-30002 PAL, which I think is a 4th gen PS2.

I have the SCPH-35000 GT, spacifically 35001. GT3 was the only game I owned for ... probably 8 months.

I wish they'd make the latest PS2 available for US and include the network and hard drive kits. If it were just one big bundle it would be pretty cool.

Originally posted by Gran Turismo7058
I have the SCPH-35000 GT.
Peice of crap can't read DVD's.
I only can watch my Initial D or other Anime.

Seriously? Sounds like you either got a bum machine or you treat it like crap. Mine is working damn near perfectly.

I have a SCPH-30003 PAL unit with a replaced drive and a Messiah 2 mod chip.

Keeno had a SCPH-18000, which broke in like 5 seconds.

I think the SCPH-10000 and 15000 were released only in Japan though.

And to Dodge, just fire up the PS2 without a game in (Or just open the tray) and press triangle, I think. It says to press a button at the Browser/Options select screen, I just don't remember which one.

Originally posted by 69Dodge_Charger
I'm not sure which one I have. Is there a number on it anywhere? Well I just know I bought mine over the summer (about mid-summer).

Its on the back of the PS2.

I wonder if anyone put this
r.gif
on their PS2 cuz they saw the "R" on the back.

Originally posted by the_cobbinator
The iLink was removed because Sony felt that not enough games took advantage of it. Also, most people didn't even use it.

No, that's not it. Sony dropped it because it's useless to them. IEEE-1394, or i-link as Sony calls it, can't handle High-definition and the new HDCP copy protection code at the same time. No, the PS2 can't do HD, but current video products they make do, so bye-bye i-link. It was there for you to download pictures from digital cameras, and from camcorders. They used DVI for a while, but now I hear they dropped that for USB2.

Since the new PS3 will be a High-def DVD recordable device, I wonder what they will use? Go back to DVI, use HDMI, or stick with USB2?

I've got a PAL SCPH-3003R, v5 or v6, dunno never bothered opening the case. The load times on CDs are bad, but DVDs read pretty quietly.

Originally posted by standard235
hmm i have 30001 and it reads cds and dvds very slowly and TXR3 keeps freezing:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

You need to clean your discs/lens, and possibly clean some of the dust thats on the fan and grilles.

Back