Online play and game version/region explained

RocketPunch1221
RRoD? no thanks.
Have been seeing many people asking about online play and version/region compatibility; i.e. people with different version/region of the game can play together online.

Here is my attempt to answer it.

The way that GT5P online works is the match making is done by checking a central hub that is specific to a certain version/region of the game and connect players that way. Games are hosted not on a "server" in a traditional sense (like BF2 or Rfactor), but by having one of the player with the best bandwidth hosting the actual online game (like TDU for PC), hence if the host quits everyone's connection will be lost. This is done to relief the developer/publisher from having to provide a "venue" so their customers can play online and also makes free online play possible (yes, they still have to provide the match making hub, but that is nothing compare to providing rooms of servers to "host" games).

My speculation is the hubs that are doing the "match making" for GT5P are version/region specific; i.e. players with JPN version will never see anyone online with a NA version because the game only directs a certain version/region of the game to its associated hub. However, that doesn't mean people with different version will never be able to play with each other online.

Features such as "private rooms" will became a "device" to link specific people together either through friend list look up in you PS3 (simple invite base system) and/or a lobby for all the player hosted games. Again, my speculation is private rooms will not be available until SONY release their "HOME" service which I think PD is waiting on so they can tie their online side of GT5P or GT5 to it.

Unfortunately all I can do is to buck up your opinion :( why ":("? because after I have downloaded the update for Japanese version (I will write the whole story in different topic) I still could only race with people that I have raced before and it was at 6P.M. European time :( I mean that although it was 6P.M. GMT? there were only people that I have already seen (team_2CH for instance)' further more I have experienced "3 people race problem" posted by other gtp members - I mean that in many races (where I had NAT2) there were only 3 participants (including me) although I was racing at 1P.M Japanese time (right after download finish).

In overall - online system sucks in that part - it will match you with other people that own the game within the same region :( not those that are the closest to you :(

I will add my thoughts about the "SPEC II" in some other topic.

So my online test topic (including "the algorithm" is already useless)... ;)

If this in fact the case, I swear I will boycott and not buy this game! Period! Unless there's a patch to fix it, then that's it, Im done. I want to play people ONLINE not screw around with some crappy AI.

FIX THE ONLINE PD!!!! :grumpy::grumpy::grumpy:

If this in fact the case, I swear I will boycott and not buy this game! Period! Unless there's a patch to fix it, then that's it, Im done. I want to play people ONLINE not screw around with some crappy AI.

FIX THE ONLINE PD!!!! :grumpy::grumpy::grumpy:

What are you talking about? You can play online. You don't have the game do you?

What are you talking about? You can play online. You don't have the game do you?

If I can play online in the U.S. only, then I don't consider that an online function.

1)Most Americans will get bored of GT5P within a month and stop playing it altogether and then go back to their Resistances, COD4s, Motorstorm, etc.

2)The ones that do stay, will be asleep at 2AM PST while I'm up playing the game by myself :grumpy:

I did not know where to put it, but since its related i will put it here.

This night I was racing about 5 times against Breaker-Ohio :) unfortunately I was always behind him (he was using tunedS2000 and I was using F430 and he started in front of me always) it was close :) (PSN Lotrzyna) but why to write this ? due to 2 simple facts:

1 - I have met GTP member in game :) ;-)
2 - as far as I know Breaker-Ohio has a Japanese version of the game which fact back ups the theory that we will be matched against people using game from the same region not from the closest geographical location :( I would like to race against Europeans not only Japanese people and USA JP version owners :/ I might be wrong but in my opinion most of the GTP members are Europeans .. further more I would had less lag with Europeans ... (although since SPEC II I did not have any problems joining races and haven't seen that "jumping" cars at all - and races were 10-16 people (this night) )

I had a plan of testing online races but do not know - are there any people interested in results of that kind of a test or interested in participating in that kind of a test ? Or maybe some members of GTP are able to simply ask PD how does it work ?...

ps. some yellow tuned 111R was pushing everybody all the time - PSN starting with j.

If I can play online in the U.S. only, then I don't consider that an online function.

1)Most Americans will get bored of GT5P within a month and stop playing it altogether and then go back to their Resistances, COD4s, Motorstorm, etc.

2)The ones that do stay, will be asleep at 2AM PST while I'm up playing the game by myself :grumpy:

Regardless of what you "consider to be online" it remains that the game IS online! And im pretty sure its the same with all other PS3 games, GT wont be the only game to have online region lockouts, Im pretty sure Resistance: Fall of Man, CoD4, and many other do too!

This is a bunch of foolish assumption. You have no knowlege of any of this, and the game is constantly being updated, so what is true for the game now may not be true in the near future. You frequently rant about things you have never used or situations that may or may not happen in the future. It's annoying.

This is a bunch of foolish assumption. You have no knowlege of any of this, and the game is constantly being updated, so what is true for the game now may not be true in the near future. You frequently rant about things you have never used or situations that may or may not happen in the future. It's annoying.

look at his profile...

Date of Birth: January 1, 1997

Prob fake, but it makes sense! ;)

Have any of you that have both versions looked to see if the TT record names are the same in both versions?

Back