Ghosting Ettiquete Question

• Thread starter putty
  • 20 comments
Sorry if this has been answered before, but I could not find it.

If someone is ghosted out from taking a penalty, knocking you or making sudden movements, is it OK to pass through them to pass them?

Or do we treat them like they are still there and go around?

Just curious as this makes a big difference in a race, but I don't want to be cheap if this is frowned upon.

TIA.

I go through them. You aren't spoiling their race by passing through them, and it's better than trying to avoid something that isn't there and spinning off or losing time.

Technical term - "Graverobbing"

Sometimes it's a shame to see a good clean racer punted off the track by a complete baloon but If I can pass through them for another place then at least there's a silver lining :sly:

and of course if it's the baloon who's ghosting then there isn't even a tinge of remorse

I go through if I haven't caused it and they are in my line, although I sometimes have gone through just as they turn solid resulting in a collision. :ouch:
I now find myself avoiding them if I can :dopey:

Totally agree with you Kelly. Have been caught out many times when the 'ghost' turns solid right in front of me - bang!:ouch: I try to avoid if possible without interfering with following racers. Not worth the risk of a collision and losing time/positions. Would be nice if above the 'ghost' was a timer saying how long until they turned solid again - just an idea.

The more important comment here is...

If your the ghost...get out of the racing line!

I go straight through them but im still cautious because once a car turned back to solid milliseconds before I was going to pass through and it was one hell of accident! :crazy:

The ghosting system is the worst thing ive ever seen, its a poor excuse for a poor online experience and no damage (yet). Oh and when everyone drifts all the cars ghost because the system thinks 'your out of control'....... lame

Robin

Still when cars are turned backwords they sometimes dont go as ghost! had a couple of incident because of that ...

The more important comment here is...

If your the ghost...get out of the racing line!

Is there a way to know if you are ghosting when you are in bumper cam view?

EDIT: Nevermind... Not enough coffee this morning. Obviously, you'll see your penalty timer. Duh.

"The ghosting system is the worst thing ive ever seen, its a poor excuse for a poor online experience and no damage (yet). Oh and when everyone drifts all the cars ghost because the system thinks 'your out of control'....... lame"

The ghosting is indeed the worst thing ever. Well maybe the penalty system is a bit worse but in either case ghosting is useless.

Off Topic:

The penalty system needs as much attention as this ghosting system. The shortcut penalty is especially worthless as many times you find your self trying to avoid a crash penalty by going on to the runoff and you get smacked with another one instead:banghead:. Yet rail grinding/wall riding is fine...:ouch:

I disagree about ghosting being a bad thing.

Have we already forgotten about players who cut the corner in an attempt to smash into folks? Or who drive the course backwards to mess up the races? In these cases, the ghosting system has denied spoilsports much of their ability to sabotage an otherwise good race.

I disagree about ghosting being a bad thing.

Have we already forgotten about players who cut the corner in an attempt to smash into folks? Or who drive the course backwards to mess up the races? In these cases, the ghosting system has denied spoilsports much of their ability to sabotage an otherwise good race.

The "spoilsports" will always be around and there is little we can do about it until we can choose the people we race with. However I would still rather have no ghosting and no penalties in the game even if I have to look out for some moron on a mission.

Yesterday I've had a whole evening of playing with limited number of accidents going on and even the ones that were there seemed to be unintentional. What I'm getting at is that it is possible to find races that are enjoyable and are full of people who like racing and not crashing, and in that case the ghosting and penalties take a way from the game. I still say that overall it's an inadequate system and needs to go.

SEE ANOTHER POST ON THIS TOPIC: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=106384

the ghost should flash increasingly faster when it is about to become solid again.

Yeah thats a good idea

Or they should just scrap the system and have damage, if you spin out and crash your loss...

How will damage stop someone from causing YOU to crash? and be damaged! Ghosting works fine. Could be better, but I think it stops rampant abuse.

At least with good implementation of damage, the punters can only properly take out one victim, after that they're pretty much out of the race, whereas with the current penalty system it's pretty easy for them to continue plowing their way through other innocent drivers.

Sure, the damage system won't solve the entire problem but it's sure to reduce it, and i think right now im ready to try anything which could improve the current online experience in that respect.

Back