Strange problem with G25 and Video output

• Thread starter wolfdude
  • 6 comments
GTP_wolfdude
Hi all,

Not sure if anyone noticed this... but if you have a G25 and your PS3 is configured to output the video signal using the AV cable (composite i.e. yellow, red & white), the force feedback from the G25 feels weird compared to when you're using the HDMI cable for video output. Its very apparent when you're drifting your car and need to turn the wheel rapidly.

I stumbled upon this problem when I connected my PS3 to my PC capture card using AV cable and then tried drifting. It was totally different from my usual experience with the wheel and I had a hard time trying to adjust.

Give it a try and tell me I'm not the only one getting this.... seems weird that the video output can affect the way the G25 behaves... you'll have to enable Force Feedback of course.. preferbly MAX it out to feel the problem...

Cheers.

I've noticed that my DF GT behaves differently too. Spent the last week working on capturing online races and switched from HDMI to SVideo with AV audio output and the FF is definitely different.

I have to try this!!! Thanks for the tip. Now, I just hope it'll make the G25 feel better, not worse. :)

Till few days ago i played on my DFP on composite cable. And it was OK. Now I play with G25 and on a 24" LCD monitor over HDMI. It does feel bit different and a bit easier to control the car in drift. In one day I got better results than before with DFP ...

I thought that it was just luck and new wheel and so on, but seeing this thread makes me wonder a bit ...

G25 is always different from DFP.. less "feel", in terms of how the grip of your tyres can be felt on the wheel. imo.

jep, I would agree on that point. and the FF feels weaker ... so in grip racing it just doesn't feel right to me. But as far as drifting goes ... I like it.

I'm glad some of you guys noticed it too... You'll probably feel it more when you're drifting which requires quick & sudden turns of the wheels compared to grip racing which requires gentle/smooth turns.

This is definately an advantage when using the G25+HDMI combination when drifting as the wheels are easier to turn compared to G25+AV.

I'm wondering if this has got anything to do with the refresh rate of the video at 1080i/p vs 576i. I'm gonna try changing the display resolution on my HDMI to a lower one i.e. 576i and see if the problem exist.

NEW UPDATE (2008-07-31):

Ok... seems like this issue has nothing to do with the AV/HDMI cable... its video resolution dependent!!! Here's what I found out :-

- 576p & 576i = FFB during rapid wheel turn is sort of choppy and is krap for driting.
- 720p/1080i/1080p = FFB during rapid wheel turn is smooth.

So there you go... IF you want to be a good drifter, get a HD display ;) ;)

Cheers.

Last edited:
Back