Real Nürburgring trip: 18-Dec to 21-Dec

MisterWeary

Staff Emeritus
GTP_MisterWeary
So...earlier this year my fam announced they were doing a European sojourn and asked if I'd like to come along. I hadn't really done much travel yet so I thought, what the heck, let's give it a whirl! My step-mother was organising most of it and the trip looked like this:
  • Dubai - Italy - France - England - Home
Since I'd already seen France and it wasn't home to the Nordschleife I asked my dad (who, like myself, is a Gran Turismo and real life car enthusiast) what he thought about deviating from the rest of the fam after Italy? Turns out he thought what I thought...hell yeah!!! So while the lasses enjoy The Louvre, Arc de Triomphe and Gérard Depardieu I've been trying to organise the best way for my Father and I to get acquainted with "The Green Hell". So these are the things I figured needing sorting:
  1. Getting to Germany from Italy
  2. Finding a rental car
  3. Driving from Airport to Nürburg
  4. Finding accommodation
  5. Getting a ride/drive on the ring itself
  6. Getting back to airport
  7. Getting to England
So I've pretty much found options for all those things but I guess I'm not sure if I'm doing it the right way. The other problem is that we're going at a very off-peak time so a lot of places are closed, in fact the Ring itself is only open to the public one of the days we're there. So here's what I've organised:
  1. Flight to Frankfurt via Brussels Airlines
  2. Rental car through Hertz (VW Fox)
  3. Dad bought a GPS Navigator and is purchasing the Germany maps
  4. Accommodation organised at Hotel Wilhelmshoehe (everywhere else was shut!)
  5. The ring taxi doesn't run when we're there :( but I think I've organised the hiring of a BMW through Rent-Racecar instead :)
  6. Drive the nimble Fox back to Frankfurt airport
  7. Flight to Heathrow via British Airways
I have a sneaking suspicion this little "Nürburg deviation" is going to leave a big dent in the finances but I guess a guy from down under is not going to get many opportunities to see it in his life so what the heck. I've read through many of the real life Nürburgring trip reports (vexd's was particularly awesome!) If anyone has any ideas/advice/tips/tricks they'd like to pass on, it would be much appreciated 👍

Last edited:
Burden, schmurden! Go, have a GREAT time, keep an eye on the finances but don't be too concerned and provide us pictures when you get back!

I'll definitely be snapping up a storm and no doubt this place will be my first port of call for uploading them :sly:👍

Let us know when you're in England. We might be able to throw together a mini-LAN for you :D

I know the timescale is a bit tight, but have you thought about road tripping it from Italy to Germany? You could go via the Stelvio Pass.

Learn the track on GT4, it'll save expensive laps learning which way the track goes. Bear in mind, though, that GT4 only teaches you whether there's a straight or corner over the next crest - you'll have no feel for the bumps and hills until you get there for real.

In the very unlikely event you haven't already done so, visit http://www.nurburgring.org.uk/ - that has everything you need to know.

Wrap up warm, it'll be colder than you ever get down your end of the planet.

Well we're in England from 21st Dec until 3rd Jan, we've got a fair bit packed into that time but from 29-Dec to 2-Jan is not too busy. It'd be cool to meet some of you UKGTP folk 👍

As for knowing the Ring through GT, I've put more virtual laps on that track than Sabine Schmitz has in real life (well maybe not quite :sly:) as has my old man but from what I've read and what you say Roo, the inclines and declines are the thing that'll be surprising...looking forward to it though :)👍

And Ben Lovejoy's site has indeed been a super resource 👍

How far into England are you straying? The current permanent home of UKGTP is pretty far north - only a couple of hours from Scotland - so it may be a bit of an excessive effort to get to us. We could see if we can arrange something more south...

We're staying primarily in London but one of my cousins lives 4 hours north and I was trying to swing a visit with him. If he ever responds to my emails and I end up north a little I'll get back to you 👍

If I have access to the Internet machine while we're there maybe I should try and pick a time to hold a sign up and someone can try and capture it...I'm such a nerd :dunce:

I'd take a better rental car. You'll have access to the German Autobahn, don't you forget that ;). If you want to stay with Hertz, take class F upwards. BMW 3 series etc.

Don't forget that you'll have to do sth while the ring is closed, and driving around in a Fox in winter sucks big time ( well, not just in winter tbh ;) ), driving around in a decent car in Germany can be a lot of fun. So invest that extra money into a good car.

Depending on the amount of time you spend there, you could indeed think about driving a little more. You could for example fly to Munich or Berlin and take your rental car to the Nürburgring from there. But not VW Fox, you'll regret that. Invest that extra money, shouldn't be too expensive, maybe 50 EUR more per day.

Have a nice trip , sounds like fun , bring back some good pics and post them please , you will be the talk of the town . ;)

Well, I leave today, in 17-18 days I hope to be lapping the Nurburgring in some kind of vehicle. Laters gang!

TB
Burden, schmurden! Go, have a GREAT time, keep an eye on the finances but don't be too concerned and provide us pictures when you get back!
Minus the "Burden, schmurden!" part, my previous post still applies. :)

Well, I've touched back down in Australia and I thought I'd report back from my Nurburg trip. It didn't go exactly to plan but was fun nonetheless.

001alpsex7.jpg

This was the view of the Alps as we travelled from Rome to Frankfurt.

002pandalw2.jpg

This was the replacement for our VW Fox we were supposed to have...the just as sewing machine-like Fiat Panda. It was left-hand drive and manual...glad Dad drove because those Autobahns are some scary stuff!

003hotelah9.jpg

We stayed at Hotel Wilhelmshoehe...outstanding accommodation, I highly recommend it to anyone looking to travel to the Ring.

006flugplatzrg3.jpg

This was Flugplatz. I was reaching over the fence when I took this shot, I was going to go over it to get some shots on the track but some random folks turned up as I was going to do it. As others have pointed out, the change in inclination on the track is one of the main things you notice when seeing it live.

007exmuhlekr5.jpg

Ex Muhle, there was a walking trail around this area that eventually led me to...

008wehrseifentp0.jpg

The obligatory photo of me on the track :) Don't worry the track was well and truly closed for vehicles on this day (probably obvious from the snow everywhere)

010schwalbenschwanzll8.jpg

The famous downhill section before Schwalbenschwanz

011schwalbenschwanzvs7.jpg

The fence was all busted up at Schwalbenschwanz and I found a near empty can of spray paint...so I thought I'd add my mark :)

012dottingerhohejn4.jpg

Managed to get on the track again here and get a good shot down the main straight.

013nurbcastleix9.jpg

Like most of Nurburg, the castle was closed but we got some good shots anyway.

014daytwobo6.jpg

This was supposed to be the day we hired a race car to take on the track but as you can see that was not going to be possible. They had the F1 track open though so we had a look around it, despite it barely breaking 0 degrees!!

So that was my Nurburgring experience. Obviously a bit of bummer we couldn't get a drive on the track but I guess it gives us an excuse to go back another time :)

A bad day at the 'Ring still beats a good day at work!

Hope you enjoyed yourself, MisterWeary!

I say, where you've parked the Fiat looks strangely familier... :D

Sounds like you enjoyed yourself, despite not getting to drive the circuit - you've had a taste, and as you said you've got an excuse to go back.

How was the rest of your trip? I want to visit Rome one day, so I'm keen to hear what it's like.

What the hell are Jeep Commanders doing there? They could barely sell them here in America, who would buy one in Europe?

...anyway...

Sorry to hear it all didn't work out as planned. Nevertheless, it sounds like it was quite the experience overall, and I have to admit that I'm a bit jealous (still have yet to go to Europe). Better luck next time!

Been on the Nur last year with a friend.
Drove 4 laps on the holy track:bowdown: with my Honda Civic VTI the problem was that my engine was badly overheating:ouch: but still the filling to ride on this track is just something else and the grip is unbelivable you can't compare the grip level with normal roads.
I'm telling you guys if you're a motosport fanatic save up 500 eur get in your car an head to the green hell you wont regret it:tup:

Last time I was on the 'ring was november 1st 2006. I did 4 laps, let my brakes cool down between laps. I'm saying this about my brakes because 14 days ago an ex Ford dealer and now owner of a race team, told me that I have "hurt" my brake discs, I must have overheated them. Since I did these 4 laps, I always get a growling noise if I have to brake really hard when I driving really fast, <=== this only happens once or twice in a year. The brake blocks are still in very good shape, so that is not the reason for this growling sound. The brake disc however need to be replaced.

Dude, you found a can of spray paint and you didn't go spray "GTPLANET" on the track? Shame!

omnis
Dude, you found a can of spray paint and you didn't go spray "GTPLANET" on the track? Shame!
I was thinking the same thing when I saw/read this. :P

&#8595;

011schwalbenschwanzvs7.jpg

The fence was all busted up at Schwalbenschwanz and I found a near empty can of spray paint...so I thought I'd add my mark :)

In hindsight that would have been a good idea :dunce: Ah well, here are a few more photos that dad took, his camera takes awesome panoramas:

wehrseifentoexmuhlewidezg5.jpg

eschbachtobrunnchenwidema3.jpg

pflanzgartenibwidebesthb6.jpg

Back