• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 16 comments

JohnBM01

20 years!
Premium
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
JMarine25
GTPlanet, at 12:05 CST on December 5th, 2003, I made my first post on GTPlanet. Through the course of over five years on this message board, I've met various people. Even on my worst days, this was home. This was home because I don't think there's any other message board I think I would ever want to be. Especially to where I'm part of a big world of people on GTPlanet, but feels like my online home. My old online home was Speedsims before it went defunct as I was constantly hated on and feeling unwelcome. I've been on various other forums about video gaming and racing. But home was GTPlanet for me five years ago. And for the better part of five years, for the better part of a slow progression from dial-up to wireless broadband, for the better part of 9,057 posts (as of 10:02 PM CST), I've been a part of this wonderful message board.

General Experience
Even before I've become the college sports guy on GTPlanet, I've had my fair share of beef regarding defending Gran Turismo 4 when all the delays were happening. I've had to play peacemaker, debater, my own editorial, my various Sound Off! moments, and more. At least I know that if there's a site I've wanted to visit before each day ends, it's GTPlanet. I've been thankful for my birthday to be honored by you all as you send me your birthday wishes. I've even worked earlier this year to lobby for the Motorcycle forum as my interest in motorcycles was growing ever so much. I've worked to get audiences and try to get some views and posts going. Even if it's just me posting replies in a thread, at least I do all I can to make a thread relevant.

Although I've been notorious for very long posts (walls of text), at least there was relevance and content to express. There's a word for lots of text and not really saying a damn thing- either babbling or flooding. I was always an imaginative thinker that sometimes thinks too far into things. But that's part of who I am- opinionated, entertaining, even insightful at times. I've even injected stuff like "Fact or Fiction?" Inspiration drives me. When I'm bored, I just type up something in an RTF file ready to be posted on GTPlanet. I don't go around posting bogus stuff just because I'm bored. Even if threads die (meaning absolutely no posts other than my own), at least I tried to get some discussion going. The life of forums is to get discussion. Without discussion, a thread meant to be commented on by the masses just ends up a lifeless heap of HTML code and bandwidth.

College Sports
When it came to college sports, I wanted to get a fair share of comments going on GTPlanet. I tried to get a college football discussion going. I wasn't really an NFL guy, but there's nothing like tossing up a pigskin wearing your beloved school's colors. It began mostly with FBS until I tried to reach other waters- namely FCS, Division 2, and Division 3. I had my own opinions and style to how to cover college sports. Mostly lazy in my view, but I don't go on stats. In fact, most of you realize I don't know exact players on teams. It was about who won and who didn't. I even introduced some non-football extras because I was home. I had a chance to chat away about college sports and try to get some extra involvment going. I don't work at some office posting this stuff while on the job... I'm in my sleeping clothes, sitting on my bed, typing stuff away facing this computer! Very low-key stuff. But, I've helped to draw some attention to college football. I've been pleased to meet various people on GTPlanet in my college football discussions. Most of which, I would meet a gentleman on here named FoolKiller. I remember I said that his Wildcats would win six games one year. They won all six games I picked as winners, including upsetting Georgia. In college hoops, I wondered if Kentucky could ever get their eighth championship. I then came across Joey D and his beloved Wolverines. And in basketball, he's proud of his black and gold of non-football school, Oakland University. I'd then meet people like TwinTurbos94 and studentdriver who are into South Carolina. I even give Kent his fix of LSU football as well as how the Southeastern Louisiana Lions do. When I meet someone on GTP and learn more about favorite teams, I admit that I tend to find scores for those teams because I care about people and that I want people to know that I really do care about college sports. It would all be for a lost cause to not show heart for the teams people on GTP like.

Maybe the most fun moment for me on GTP happened on Facebook earlier this year. I had a little challenge with Joey D involving this year's March Madness. I remembered how terrible one of my regions was. I almost had a good bracket... until Kansas won the National Championship. Much to the delight of North Dakota State and Kansas' High-Test. Another thing about my college sports was that I was not about the big-name schools. It would be neglecting to other fans of other schools if I only cared about the BCS schools. I was even praised on here when I covered a game involving Slippery Rock University in one of my Division 2 reports.

Even though I didn't religiously cover any other college sport besides football (I gave up on basketball because of low interest in college hoops on GTP), I still offered the threads because I knew someone would be a bigger fan of the sports in question than me. I gave up on college hoops chatter, but I still offered a thread for ANYONE to make their chats about college hoops. I gave in a little of my own energy as well. If there's no life to a thread despite all my efforts, I've failed. I've failed on the basis of making something to discuss, yet couldn't draw an audience or replies. And one other thing- I just don't put in silly replies just to draw in people. I don't work that way. Same goes with my YouTube stuff. I don't do stupid stuff just to make myself an ass all over the Internet. I earn my pay.

A Message to All From Me
Want to know why I posted this in the Feedback thread? It's because I just want to say that it's great to be on GTPlanet. I made the choice to join GTPlanet and offer up a garden variety of material each day. Even as Hurricane Ike prevented me from getting back online for some time, this place is home. That's no matter whom I've had to deal with, argue with, complain against, block, add as buddies, anger people, get warnings from Mods, and all that. I'm just a guy from Houston, Texas that's part of a planet of great people- GTPlanet. I've been most thankful to be on here for over five years. Didn't matter if you were cobragt, Dave A, Darin, McLaren'sAngel, kart_racer, jayjam, fogelhund, or whomever... this is a great website with wonderful people. I'm glad to offer my own views and discussions to be of liking. No one more I can thank for being on here and enjoying this all than our own illustrious leader, Jordan. Even with all the upgrades to GTPlanet, one thing remains the same- it's home. It's my online home. It's the message board I'm most active on. I regularly check in to GTPlanet all year 'round. It's also a lovely place I've been more than happy to join and be a part of and still return whenever I can. Since getting wireless broadband, I can basically check in any time I like.

So all I want to say is that GTPlanet is a great site and that I enjoy being here. If I didn't enjoy it here, I wouldn't be here. I wouldn't have made the effort five years ago to sign up for this message board. Not only did I enjoy it here, I was treated nicely by many people the world over. I hope I can be on here for as long as I can. I turn 26 next month on January 15th. At least I know I can celebrate with at least some friends on GTP. Thank you. Thank all of you. I'm very honored to be here. God bless all of you. Happy 5th Anniversary to this Houston boy right here!

Congrats, John! Thanks for your kind words and for all you've contributed - I think you really 'get' what being a part of an online community actually means. All these big numbers are nice, but for me, it's even more rewarding to know that my site is special to so many other people around the world. Here's to another 5 years! :cheers:

Happy 5th Anniversary to this Houston boy right here!
Here here 👍

I always marvel at the time and effort you must put into every post you make. I, and I'm sure many many others too, can relate to that sense of GTP being our online home. It's a pleasure to share it with you.

John, you're one of the few guys who actually seems to put thought into every single post. (I've been guilty of spam-like posts every now and then) And you're part of the landscape that makes GTPlanet such a special place to the rest of us.

Yeah, this is like home to me, too... even though I have my own boards to moderate, I still come back here because the level of intercourse here is pretty good, as far as forums go. Cheers, and more power to you!

Congrats on the five years, John. Now you can throw out the payment book, heh heh.

Your enthusiasm for new topics at GTPlanet always helps out.

Congrats, man!

And not to steal your thread or anything but I noticed I just completed 5 years on GTP this week too. One day before you, actually! :)

I remembered I've joined GTP looking for GT4 Prologue's news, and I remember your long and thoughtful posts from back there. 👍

These days I'm not playing Gran Turismo anymore. I sold my PS2 and I don't have a PS3. Still I like to see how GT5 is developing, watching videos and news. But GTP to me is not about Gran Turismo anymore. It's about the people I've met here and I like to talk to about anything.

I don't think I'll be leaving GTP anytime soon and I hope you won't either.

Here's to five more years! :cheers:

Congrats on the 5 year anniversary John :cheers: I always enjoy reading your posts, written in your own distinctive style. 👍

Congrats on the 5 years John,

I only signed up earlier this year, although a long time lurker for all GT News. I totally agree with everything you say when it comes to GT Planet. The thing that stands out most for me is the effort that is put in by everyone, form the Mods/Admins to all people that post forums. You really do feel part of something which is a very unique attribute to have when it comes to online forums.

Here is to the next 5, and a special thanks goes to Jordan and his team for such a fantastic job they do.

Jamie (The Grim Reaper)

👍

Congrats John! I've always liked reading your sports updates as most of the time they are better then the stuff ESPN puts up on their site. You have a real knack for writing interesting things and often tailoring them to your readers. I know most people wouldn't give Oakland a second glance but you always seem to take the time to figure it all out.

Here's to 5 more years!

Wow... I feel like my birthday's come one month early. Thank you very much for your kind words. None of my threads are for me. I type a lot, say a lot, and sometimes type some foolish stuff. But it's all to get people viewing and posting. Very thankful to be on here and to be treated so humbly in my time. In fact, I think I even remembered an old comment when someone praised me for using proper English and not coming along with "fanboy-"like stuff. I do what I can because I love what I do. It's just for the love of the game, let's put it at that.

Thanks a lot, everyone!

I've been reading some of the comments here, and I just want to comment a little more on my college sports deal. It's why I ask for fans to share their favorite teams so I can focus on them as much as I can. Oakland University was mentioned by Joey D. Most don't follow them because the Summit League is a low-major conference and most don't care about non-major conferences. I still make the effort to chat and offer some hope for teams. I even kind of root on teams just to keep spirits high for the fans of these colleges and universities. Believe me when I tell you this, but I get a kick out of doing my usual "OWNAGE OF THE WEEK" comments. That's even if it involves a most-favorite or least-favorite team of yours. I did get a bit nice and somewhat biased if a favorite team gets owned hard. Like when Florida murdered Kentucky, I noted a Division 3 ownage that was much worse. It's about diversity and fun. I may not analyze non-FBS games like a pro, but at least I throw these out there for all to see.

If it's one thing I learned on GTPlanet, and if it's something I admit I've been a bit notorious of, it's adding a different twist to common thread subjects. For example:

* Best Cars, Drivers, and Teams to Never Win Le Mans
* Best Song from a Genre You Don't Particularly Like
* 50 Of the Same Car! When Is One Variation of a Car Too Many?
* Had Ferrari and Porsche Been in GT4...

I don't just make wishlists or anything. I may try to offer general threads, but never a wishlist. I tend to overanalyze as well, even when I shouldn't. I even gave up on the "Special Topic" thing in my earlier times on GTP. Never stop making threads because I know I'm part of an online community and want to make the most of my time here. It's just great to be on GTPlanet not only because it's a wonderful site, but because it has wonderful people I can actually connect with. I've even coined a kind of coalition on GTP involving Texans like myself. You can never have fun on a message board if you can't connect and gain some members' respect. I was humbled here and respected for all or most of my five years here. Amazing website.

Memorable Moments
Maybe the coolest moment of all for me on here was basically about this site getting some love from either Sony Computer Entertainment of America or Polyphony Digital themselves. Someone noted us being a good site and all. That feeling is like being recognized by the U.S. President in the State of the Union address. Made me feel great being on here, knowing that I've contributed a smidgeon to being recognized on a message board like this.

Two people in my time on GTP are the most memorable to me. Hands down, McLaren'sAngel was most memorable to me. She would be the one to really fall in love with the McLaren F1 and all it's worth. Very respectful as well. Another person memorable to me was GuyNamedJohn. We have the same name, and the dude is just so damn cool (and a bit weird).

A memory I'd love to forget is when I made a thread about Antartica, then people started putting pictures like... "when someone makes a crappy thread, God kills a kitten," or something like that. Funniest moment on here is another hands-downer- someone asked a question about something on a car, then lots of people came in posting "OWNED!" pictures. It was so funny! I couldn't help but laugh seeing stuff like a Hummer owning a Civic in one picture or one of those huge dump trucks crushing a Ford commercial vehicle.

Most disparaging moment... I think I made a thread on any E3 coverage involving Gran Turismo 4, and someone said "I'd rather wait until (some other member) makes a thread on it."

Some of you are saying "here's to 5 more years." If I and GTPlanet last by December 5, 2013, hopefully I'll be just as interesting and fun as I've been the past five years. I don't downsize, I reload. Thanks to everyone who has been an influence to me. Thanks a great deal.

Happy 5th John! I have to say, you're probably the most intelligent and sensible person on here. Well, you're my favorite anyway :lol:

Jeez, made me remember when I first joined... I was so immature and crazy. You guys must have hated me :lol:

+Rep John BM. :) Yeah, you don't always visit the same forums i like to frequent (GT1 thru 4) but when you do, your comments offer an interesting or sarcastic point of view that makes me type my fingers off in reply. Every time i see a reply, post, or thread started by JOhn BM, i take a seat and read every word. I still remember those legendary comments you made regarding various online articles bashing GT games! Not to mention your recent "GT2 revisited" thread.

My 5 years will be coming up sometime this summer. :scared: When i look at some of our past posts hre at GTP, i sometimes remember where i was at the time, what i was doing that day, etc. and all the stuff that doesn't get posted. It's interesting.

Again, +Rep.

Congrats on being a member for 5 years. 👍 I'm just 7 days from my 3-year anniversary here, and i post on lost of forums now, but this site was my first one and will continue to be my best one. :)

Two people in my time on GTP are the most memorable to me. Hands down, McLaren'sAngel was most memorable to me. She would be the one to really fall in love with the McLaren F1 and all it's worth. Very respectful as well. Another person memorable to me was GuyNamedJohn. We have the same name, and the dude is just so damn cool (and a bit weird).
Interesting. We had a member who was a fellow staff member on FC.com with the username GuyNamedJohn. The way he typed, I thought it actually might have been you.

However, I do not remember us having GNJ here, but I guess that throws my suspicions out.

Congrats on your 5 years, never the less. :cheers:

Thanks a lot. I've really been proud to have known you in my five years along with RACECAR and others as far as GTP's Texans go.

Back