Numbers built 1315
Produced from 1987 - 1992
Body design Pininfarina

Engine
Configuration Type F120 A 90º V 8
Location Mid, longitudinally mounted
Construction alloy block and head
Displacement 2.936 liter / 179.2 cu in
Bore / Stroke 82.0 mm (3.2 in) / 69.5 mm (2.7 in)
Compression 7.8:1
Valvetrain 4 valves / cylinder, DOHC
Fuel feed Weber-Marelli Fuel injection
Aspiration Two IHI Turbos with two Behr intercoolers

Drivetrain
Chassis/body kevlar body on steel spaceframe, integrated with composite materials
Suspension (fr/r) unequal A arms, coaxial springs, Koni hydraulic shock absorbers, anti roll bar
Steering rack-and-pinion
Brakes vented discs, all-round
Gearbox 5 speed Manual
Drive Rear wheel drive

Dimensions
Weight 1100 kilo / 2425.1 lbs
Length / Width / Height 4430 mm (174.4 in) / 1980 mm (78 in) / 1130 mm (44.5 in)
Wheelbase / Track (fr/r) 2450 mm (96.5 in) / 1594 mm (62.8 in) / 1610 mm (63.4 in)

Performance figures
Power 478 bhp / 357 KW @ 7000 rpm
Torque 577 Nm / 426 ft lbs @ 4000 rpm
BHP/Liter 163 bhp / liter
Power to weight 0.43 bhp / kg
Top Speed 324 km/h / 201 mph
0-60 mph 3.5 s
0-100 mph 8.2 s

Last edited:
Sub Zero.

I know someone who used to own one. He drove his daughter to her wedding (I was best man) in it.

The F40 has soul, and anyone who sees one can see it. I'm not talking of the engine through the plexiglass cover. I'm talking about some indefinable quality that's there, embodied in the car. Even my wife noticed it, still talks about it. I think it's that you can see the love in its construction from the rough welds, from the fact that it doesn't really fit together properly. Where other cars are perfect, the F40 is interesting.

To me, it's untouchable. If I bought one, criticism of it would bounce off me.

If I pulled up outside Kristin Scott-Thomas's house in it, I wouldn't give a rat's ass what she thought of it or me, because if she thought it was anything other than massively cool, she'd be wrong, and it would make me feel good to humour her for her idiocy.

It's still the best Ferrari ever made. At the time it was everything Ferrari knew about building road and racing cars all thrown into one. How can it possibly be not cool?

I actually am one of the lucky bastards who had a chance to drive one a few years ago...the owner sat in the passenger seat and did not allow me to go "pedal to the metal" ofcourse,but did allow me to accelarate hard thru 3rd and 4th gear on a part of the highway where it whas completaly empty!!!....i will never ever ever ever ever forget the emotions i had at that moment,actually while i am writing this my eyes allmost water up....best(shortest)drive of my life .....

subzero...without a single doubt............

spyrrari.

Yea, I know, it's a super-fast car. It's ugly as hell though, and you can't be cool in an ugly car.

Uncool.

Or, rather, lukewarm.

Sweet car, but I grew up drooling over the F50 and wondering what the huge deal over the F40 was. Cool.

Yea, I know, it's a super-fast car. It's ugly as hell though, and you can't be cool in an ugly car.

Uncool.

Or, rather, lukewarm.

Well i think you're ugly.

This is bare-bones Ferrari. One of my favorites. I love the fact that it's alarmingly unsafe to drive, and has very few creature comforts. Subzero.

As far as things go the F40 is pretty much the textbook definition of sub-zero. Not just for the fact it was one of the most popular poster car. The car is an iconic emblem of super cars in general, not just Ferrari. Its a coolness I think that is lost on the Enzo.

Cool, and only cool. For the simple reasons that; it's not that good looking, it is strictly basic stuff interior wise (Come on, I don't want to see weilding points thanks), and do I think it is really sub-zero? Considering I deem most Ferrari's as uncool, due to Ferrari blatant ignorance of a designing a good looking car which perhaps isn't more aerodynamic than the predecessor (Wow, shock horror!) and the typical Ferrari Footballers Club. In comparison, this car is better than most of them.

Thats the main reason I voted the car cool. Althought this is my favourite car of all time, the Interior just screams anorak at me.

Anorak? What about a basic appreciation of what a car is made of? The F40 was one of the last great supercars of the 80s-90s, before supercars started blending in luxury car qualities to the point that supercar became a slightly diluted term.

Anorak? What about a basic appreciation of what a car is made of? The F40 was one of the last great supercars of the 80s-90s, before supercars started blending in luxury car qualities to the point that supercar became a slightly diluted term.

To appreciate it you need to know about it. If you know about the interior of a F40 then you know too much to be cool.

To appreciate it you need to know about it. If you know about the interior of a F40 then you know too much to be cool.

Well, i mean it's not that hard to know about something when you can easily see it. Plus it's all excess weight! The F40 has the gravitas to trim all the "fat" in respect for gut-wrenching speed. :)

Voted cool 👍 I'm not a massive Ferrari fan (well, I love 70s and earlier ones and simply "like" more modern ones) but as Ferraris go, the F40 is a very cool one.

Yeah, I can't stand Ferraris.. Lots of hype, usually assclowns driving them, etc.
I gotta say sub zero though. Just ****ing look at it. I get so excited.. Man, my balls tingle by looking at it :)

464894227_eaebe1f91e.jpg

Cool. Not Sub-Zero, but cool. When I first saw it, I overheard people saying that they'd have a Porsche 911 (Behind it) rather than it, and described the F40 as a "racing car" and some also said they'd rather have a 575 which was behind it aswell. Hard to explain, but I would have gone inbetween Sub-Zero and Cool. But just because of those comments, cool.

Back