GTP Cool Wall : Renault Grand Espace VOTE!

Grand Espace

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

boiltheocean

Premium
Samoa
Samoa
.:Renault Grand Espace 2005-on suggested by GilesGuthrie:.

Pic
RenaultGrandEspace.jpg

Spec
General
Dealers
Warranty
3 years/60,000 miles
Anti-Corrosion
12 years
Paint Warranty
3 years
Euro-NCAP Crash Test Rating
N/A
Euro-NCAP Pedestrian Test Rating
N/A

Technical
Body
People Carrier
Engine, cc
Fuel
U
Transmission
6-spd
Power, bhp
140@5500
Torque, lb ft
141@3750
Driven Wheels
F

Running Costs
Insurance Group
Service Interval
Warranty
3 years, 100000 miles

Equipment
Automatic
£N/A
Metallic Paint
£489
Power steering
£Std
Air conditioning
£Std
Climate Control
£294
Traction Control
£Std
Driver's airbag
£Std
Passenger airbag
£Std
Side airbag
£Std
Alarm
£DF
Immobiliser
£Std
Seat Belt Pre-Tensioners
£Std
Central locking
£Std
Alloy wheels
£489
Leather seats
£N/A
Electric front windows
£Std
Electric rear windows
£Std
Electric mirrors
£Std
Radio Cassette
£N/A
RDS Radio
£Std
CD player
£Std
DVD player
£DF
Satellite Navigation
£979
Manual Sunroof
£N/A
Electric Sunroof
£1223
Cruise control
£245
Split/folding rear seats
£Removable

Dimensions
Wheelbase, mm
Length, mm
Width, mm
Height, mm
Boot, litres
Fuel Tank, litres
Kerb Weight, kg
Gross Weight, kg
Towing Limits, kg

Performance
Top speed (Manual)
115 mph
0-62 mph (Manual)
12.5 seconds
Fuel consumption (Manual)
30.1 mpg (combined cycle)

Owners Review : EXPECT BIAS
As Jondot has obliquely mentioned, I have one. A 2006 Grand Espace Initiale (top spec) with the new 2.0dCi engine. I bought it new, and have done 20,000 miles in it, including 4,000 miles in Oct 08 alone.

There are some interesting stats with this car. At 175bhp, it is (or was at the time), the most powerful 2 litre diesel engine you could buy. The sliding glass roof is the largest on any current production car. OK, so two interesting stats.

Mine has the leather seats, automatic everything, privacy glass, the aforementioned glass roof, satnav that covers the whole of Europe (and actually works), the lot. The seats are all full-sized, and each of the passenger seats has its own in-built 3-point belt, and ISOFIX child seat mountings. The rear seats all come out, so rather than having some half-assed 'seats' 'stowing' in the floor, you just put them in the garage, run it as a 5-seater and save 40Kg. And you can properly move the seats about. I've had 2 adults, 2 children, a 4-drawer filing cabinet and 2 2-drawer desk pedestals in it at the same time. I took all the seats out and put in two sofas. At the same time.

Mine's black, and with the blacked out windows and the adaptive xenon headlights people get out of its way. Sprightly too, I've had more than 110mph out of it.

It's not cool in that nobody would swap, say, an M3 for one unless they suddenly had children. But it's a lot cooler than a Q7 or a Discovery or an X5, and is a whole lot more practical. It's admirable. It's far better than it should be. It's faster than you expect, can do more than you expect, and has more toys than you expect. It's smart, classless.

Last edited:
Cool. Though not with the caravan attached. And it's all relative. As MPVs/minivans go, the Espace is quite a cool one. The design is quite nice.

Arrrrgh what am I doing, of course it's not cool. Can you imagine, for example, trying to attract the opposite sex in this car?

"Hi, I can breed like nobodies business, but man am I boring!"

So if I could take back my vote, I would.

I'm torn. Between my integrity, and my desire to avoid a banning from GG himself.

But I must be honest... Uncool. Sure, it's one of the coolest MPVs you can buy, but then that's sort of like saying Senokot is the coolest constipation medication. Great car, and I'd probably buy one if I had kids, but not cool.

I'm going cool, since it's a minivan with a stick! I may be a bit persuaded though by our automatic loving society...:P

I threw in this nomination because I thought it would provoke some interesting debate. As Jondot has obliquely mentioned, I have one. A 2006 Grand Espace Initiale (top spec) with the new 2.0dCi engine. I bought it new, and have done 20,000 miles in it, including 4,000 miles in Oct 08 alone.

There are some interesting stats with this car. At 175bhp, it is (or was at the time), the most powerful 2 litre diesel engine you could buy. The sliding glass roof is the largest on any current production car. OK, so two interesting stats.

Mine has the leather seats, automatic everything, privacy glass, the aforementioned glass roof, satnav that covers the whole of Europe (and actually works), the lot. The seats are all full-sized, and each of the passenger seats has its own in-built 3-point belt, and ISOFIX child seat mountings. The rear seats all come out, so rather than having some half-assed 'seats' 'stowing' in the floor, you just put them in the garage, run it as a 5-seater and save 40Kg. And you can properly move the seats about. I've had 2 adults, 2 children, a 4-drawer filing cabinet and 2 2-drawer desk pedestals in it at the same time. I took all the seats out and put in two sofas. At the same time.

Mine's black, and with the blacked out windows and the adaptive xenon headlights people get out of its way. Sprightly too, I've had more than 110mph out of it.

It's not cool in that nobody would swap, say, an M3 for one unless they suddenly had children. But it's a lot cooler than a Q7 or a Discovery or an X5, and is a whole lot more practical. It's admirable. It's far better than it should be. It's faster than you expect, can do more than you expect, and has more toys than you expect. It's smart, classless.

And for all those reasons it's cool.

A kinda like how it looks actually, only better looking MPV is that Mazda 5 thing. Cool I reckon, but only just

The rear seats all come out, so rather than having some half-assed 'seats' 'stowing' in the floor, you just put them in the garage, run it as a 5-seater and save 40Kg.

You know, they used to do that here in the US, but I guess that's too much of a hassle for people, thus stowable seats. Of course it could be due to either the seats weighing a ton or the fact people don't like a free workout. :lol:

To be honest, I was on the fence between cool and uncool. It's a nice-looking people carrier, but at the same time, it's a people carrier. I'd get one over an Odyssey or a Sienna, but I would try and pack the kids and dog into the ///M3 first. Try. :(

I'm saying cool. I don't really care that it has that "people-mover" stigma attatched; it looks cool and isn't exactly a slouch on the highways, either (although it probably wouldn't handle very well at said speeds). So, for those reasons, I'm leaning towards cool.

Well, its not a Grand Caravan or a Venture, so yeah, I'd say its cool.

As far as people carriers go, it's the coolest around by far. But it's still a people carrier.

I don't know about the Ssangyong comparison... because I'd definitely hit on a Ssangyong Stavic. :lol:

I can't see a Minivan...of any sort...being "Cool." Tepid, maybe, but no ice box. I definitely wouldn't keep it on the same spot on the wall I Keep my Cold Ones.

The Espace F1 Doesn't count...it was a body on an F1 car.

Back