Power:542bhp
Torque:475lb/ft

Engine
Configuration:V6
Aspiration:normal
Fuel: petrol
Fuel delivery:electronic fuel injection

Chassis
Suspension Front: Independent, double wishbones, with pushrod and rocker operated spring/damper units, anti-roll bar
Suspension Rear: Independent, double wishbone, with toe-control links, twin rocker-operated spring and damper units, anti-roll bar
Drivetrain: mid-engine RWD
Steering: rack and pinion
Bodyframe: metal monocoque
Transmission: 5-speed manual

Dimensions
Length: 5140mm
Wheelbase: 2840mm
Width: 2200mm
Height: 1240mm
Weight: 1996kgs

even if it is somewhat pointless as a sports car, its so beautiful it freezes the pavement with coolness. Wide as a Suburban.

sub zero. it started off as Group B rallycar rival to Porsche 959.. and no way in hell that it would be 1996kg. Try 1372kg instead.

Last edited:
I disagree, most people I know think its one of the coolest cars around.
Doesn't get the recognition it deserves from today's younger american enthusiast crowd. :)

Makes sense that it'd be remembered over there. Here it's "that old Jaguar thing you sometimes see in videogames."

You know... no.

It was late to the supercar party - by which time the wave had definitely crested - relying only on headlining figures (which, contrary to the opening post, was 217mph) despite being outclassed by all its peers in every other department.

To make matters worse, the car that everyone bought - the TWR 6.2 litre V12 - was changed after orders were placed to the Cosworth 3.5 litre twin turbo V6 (again, contrary to the opening post) - essentially a bored version of the Rover Metro 6R4 engine. Not to mention all the other parts they borrowed from anything they could find. And then they put the price up. And then the McLaren F1 destroyed the one thing it had over the others.

But it is beautiful. So long as you don't look square at the back.

So we have a pretty, rare, hopelessly outclassed, parts-bin car with a Metro engine. Uncool.

Can anyone post a shot of one with the headlights flipped up? Many cars look embarassingly goofy and I don't think I've ever seen it.

I think it's a sub zero. Mostly because it looks so sleek. It is out of date that sets drawbacks to me but I'm not that harsh on cars :D

kevinm
The TT V-6 is no matter- it still gets up to 240! Definately cool!

Then they would have called in the XJ240... And it didn't.

Can anyone post a shot of one with the headlights flipped up? Many cars look embarassingly goofy and I don't think I've ever seen it.

They don't flip up. The covers slide into the body.

Google the TWR 220S, that's a limited edition 650bhp road car based on the XJ220C GT1 car.

The XJ220 is underated, it's probably the most complete, refined, supercar.

I have always had a love for the XJ220... One of my favorite supercar designs from the 1990's, especially in TWR XJ220S form. The car also won LeMans in its class, although was disqualified for "Illegal Exhausts" after the race...
I even made a 3d model of the standard XJ220, while a friend of mine turned it into the TWR S model. Anyway XJ220 gets a Sub Zero for me.

Google the TWR 220S, that's a limited edition 650bhp road car based on the XJ220C GT1 car.

It's at least 2 cylinders short of being a complete, refined supercar.

Cool, but not sub zero. I like it, and a Jaguar supercar is a rare occurrence, but it's not quite pretty enough and a bit overweight.

Wasn't the XJ220S just the prototype model that they made 8 or something versions of in 8 different colours?
I've seen the yellow one, it lives somewhere around here, in North-West England.

It might have been a bit of an epic fail as far as supercars go, and it didn't make up for anything in racing, but I think its at least a cool car, just because it looks menacing.

It's falls into the out of date syndrome , but it is still a cool car. The thing I admire is the fact that it is a V-6 that it puts out performance numbers like :

0-60mph:3.6secs
0-100mph:8.0secs
Top speed:213mph
Power:542bhp
Torque:475lb/ft

rather impressive for a large car with V-6 power 👍

iv always seen it as one of the lesser interesting supercars, for what it is it comes off a bit pale and plain compared to others, almost as dull as the vw w12. sure its awesome but i feel its a bit meh too, in supercar terms anyway

Cool, only.

I have the same issue Famine has with it. Overhyped at launch, overpromising, underdelivering, and hopelessly outclassed in the one point that mattered (as per their own marketing).

What saves it from being uncool is the fact that's kinda pretty and kinda fast. Doesn't qualify as subzero, though.

I'd only give it a cool judging by how it actually isn't as fast as it looks. But it does have a tail-end, and that's always cool.

I don't see why anyone would call the XJ220 slower than the competition... it did hold the Guinness world record for fastest road car for a few years (till the McLaren F1 came). I'd say a 217 mph top speed and a 3.6 sec 0-60 time is pretty damn impressive for its time. Also the V6 made MORE power than the original V12 they had planned for the car, not to mention it was much lighter. I will admit the car never saw the 220 mph referred to in its name, but still that doesn't make it slow...

Mixed thoughts on this one.. it's probably cool just because of the performance it can deliver, but it's too sanitised vs the original spec to be super cool.

And it was massively undermined by the XJR15

Xjr15.jpg

lol, the XJ220 is vastly superior to the XJR15 in terms of performance.

*EDIT*
Oh, and the XJ220 wasn't all that heavy at 3025 lbs, which compares favorably to the likes of the Ferrari Enzo, Porsche Carrera GT, and several others. While sure the McLaren F1, Ferrari F40 and F50 are lighter, other supercars from the same time were actually heavier. Cars like the Lamborghini Diablo VT and Bugatti EB110, which also were slower than the XJ220 :P

Last edited:
Top end, yes, but IIRC, the roadtests at the time said the XJR15 was better to drive - no turbo lag, so much better throttle response, better handling, lighter etc etc.

And it was massively cheaper.

Back