Caterham Cup Race 3 - Trial Mountain (Results)

• Thread starter Austin343
  • 15 comments
United States
U. of Chicago
Caterham Cup Race 3

Caterham Seven Fire Blade at Trial Mountain - Five Lap Race

[Maybe I shouldn't expect a picture here, but I'll leave the space open.]
cat7r3.jpg

Suitable Space Filler? Approaching the line sideways & on 3 wheels FTW! :eek:

Race Specifics

• Arcade Mode Single Race - five lap race against a single AI car
  • Power: 0% (158 hp)
  • Weight: -10% (332 kg)
  • Tire Type: N3
  • Driving aids and transmission mode are open.
  • The process for setting up the race is as follows:
    • Go into Arcade Mode Single Race, and choose Trial Mountain Forward.
    • Select the Caterham Seven Fire Blade with the AI set to difficulty 5 or higher on Sports Medium tires. (Note that exiting and then reentering the race will likely get you a different AI opponent.)
    • Once in the race, change the tires back to N3 (Road).
    • Go into the Options menu, and under Arcade -> Race, set the number of laps to 5 and tire wear off. Penalties are irrelevant.
    • The race must be 100% clean. No offs or wall or AI touches are allowed.
    • You must win the race in order for your time to be eligible.
  • Standard OLR cleanliness rules apply: Two wheels must be in contact with the track at all times; rumble strips are part of the track; no contact with walls or AI allowed at any time. Concrete areas outside of rumble strips are part of the track.
  • Please PM me your final time by Tuesday, May 12 by 11:59 pm GMT (world clock).

Series General Rules

• Discussion of times in the race thread during the week are limited to lap times from laps 1 and 4. Final times are not to be discussed and must be submitted to me by PM before the week's deadline.
  • Please save your best lap replay in case I request proof. Some form of proof, a photo at minimum, will be required of the winner. I may request proof of any suspicious times, which may include requiring a video or .max file. Posting video or .max replays is encouraged of all participants should they wish to do so.
  • Each race will award points towards the overall championship standings to all who submit a clean lap/race time, with the winner receiving 15 points, second place 12, third place 10, and fourth on down each separated by 1 point (9, 8, 7, etc.). No points will be awarded to a non-submitting driver. You do not have to announce your participation in the championship beforehand: anyone may participate in a race and be counted into the championship points, even if you do not plan on running all the races; similarly, there is no obligation to participate in every race. The driver with the most points at the end of the six races will win the championship.

Sorry for all the bolded things; I wanted to make sure that nobody missed any important differences this week. It's definitely something different, rewarding consistency rather than all-out single lap speed. I just hope it's not too hard to keep it clean and relatively fast! Basically, the big variable here, other than your speed, is which AI car to pick. There are several very slow AI cars in the difficulty range I gave you all, and they should be beatable for anyone; however, passing cleanly may still pose a bit of a challenge. Now, if you want something even more interesting, you can select a much faster car that will be a lot harder to pass but may give you a significant speed boost through the slipstream effect. You will have to choose to suit your own personal tastes, but remember, you must pass the AI permanently, and you must do it cleanly. Have fun! :nervous:

Leaderboard
Code:
Driver        Lap 1      Lap 4      Total
Austin343     1'47.466   1'38.513   3'25.979
Smallhorses   1'49.054   1'38.903   3'27.957

Results

Code:
Austin343       8'21.600
Smallhorses     8'26.009
raz_10          8'32.228

Championship Standings

Code:
Driver        Race 1   Race 2   Race 3   Race 4   Race 5   Race 6   Total
Austin343       15       15       15                                  45
Smallhorses     12       12       12                                  36
raz_10          10       0        10                                  20
AyJay           9        9        0                                   18
mustangGT90210  8        10       0                                   18

Last edited:
Luvverrlly! :drool:
Though I'll likely only get the weekend to try this out. :(
*prepares to take demoralising picture of Cat7 overtaking Sauber C9 at Trial Mountain!* :P

Gave this a try before bed...WICKED race this week Austin :drool:

I gave this a try with a +6 AI setting and paired up with a Corvette (overtook him on lap 4)
got some splits of
1'18.088

Then I tried with +5 setting and paired up with another Corvette (overtook him on lap 1)
1'17.275
Better my final by almost 2 seconds from the +6 set up with no slip stream :odd:

I'm glad to see people like it so far. raz, those are nice laps, but the leaderboard is going to be based on the sum of the lap times for laps one and four (something that it admittedly hidden, under the general rules), not the splits.

I'm also finding that passing the AI quickly is more valuable than slipstreaming, but who knows whether that will hold true if you can draft and still be able to pass without losing much time?

5 laps :doh:

I was only running 2 lappers. Good thing I never had a clean one. I'd be mad lol

Finally got some time to run this. :drool:
Racing (+5) against a Lotus Esprit V8 '02, and won by about 16s after a clean pass towards the end of the first lap.

Lap 1 1'49.054
Lap 4 1'38.903

I'll have to submit this race, no more time, as once again I'm out on business during the week, an 8:55am flight to San Diego on Monday and as yet undetermined return...

How did the Science Quiz go Austin? 👍 or 👎

Last edited:
Suitable space filler? Absolutely! 👍 I did something very similar in the same place on lap 1, although at the time, I was right behind the Shelby Series 1 I chose to race with, and only barely straightened out in time to avoid clipping its rear bumper :eek:, passing it on its left along the bumpy front straight. It was ill-advised, perhaps, but I completed the pass, and cleanly, too, so it worked out in the end. The race turned out well, too, with slipstreaming gaining me an advantage on the first lap and very consistent laps following.

L1: 1'47.466
L4: 1'38.513

Thankfully, this beat a run I had when I was still testing the combo a couple weeks ago that turned out to be dirty, as I put a third wheel about an inch past the curb on the embankment in the final chicane of the last lap. :mad: I got my first clean run last night, but it was about three seconds slower than that attempt and almost four seconds behind the one I finished just now.

I don't know that I'd describe Science Bowl as a "quiz," Smallhorses, but it was somewhere in between the 👍 and 👎. There are 67 teams they bring to the competition, so they sort out the best of those by sending everyone randomly into eight round robin divisions. They then pick the two teams with the best records and send them into a double-elimination tournament and crown the winner that way. Unfortunately, we just happened to get assigned the round robin division that had the two teams that advanced into the elimination rounds finish first and fifth in the whole thing. :rolleyes: In other words, we never had a chance to advance, and ended up winning four rounds and losing four. We did fine considering our tough luck, but definitely hope to have better fortune in our senior year next year.

No times to submit :sad:

I couldn't keep clean. The last chicane ALWAYS kills. I can't keep 2 wheels on. And if I do I go flying into the wall. Grrrrrr

No times to submit :sad:

I couldn't keep clean. The last chicane ALWAYS kills. I can't keep 2 wheels on. And if I do I go flying into the wall. Grrrrrr

I found it easier for me to shift up before the chicane and slow down a bit...made it easier to maneuver the turns...I was able to have good speed coming out to the finish line...

It's too bad there weren't more submissions this week :(, but nice runs by both raz_10 and Smallhorses to finish the five laps cleanly and quickly. 👍 I'm sorry it was too hard to keep clean, mustangGT90210, but ultimately, the idea was who could best survive the stringent cleanliness requirements while still going fast. However, you could have still picked up 9 series points by only barely beating the slowest car. :sly:

raz_10
I found it easier for me to shift up before the chicane and slow down a bit...made it easier to maneuver the turns...I was able to have good speed coming out to the finish line...

That's exactly what I did. I found I could make it through without braking, but only occasionally, and definitely not for five laps in a row.

:banghead: Just realised I got the days mixed up... Could have submitted but I thought it was too late... :banghead: Not a terribly competitive time of 9'13.500, but that was my only run this week. Looks like this will serve as a lesson for me, don't think this will happen again! :ouch:

And good job to the rest of you guys 👍 :bowdown:

Back