Small Kotaku Preview

• Thread starter Shokz
  • 12 comments
shadowslyr
A nice summary for those that haven't heard everything about the game yet, but it's mostly regurgitated E3 information, one thing that i don't think has been covered fully however are the control schemes offered;

http://kotaku.com/5284756/gran-turismo-creator-explains-psp-delays-talks-controls--online-play

I know a few people were hoping that with the inclusion of bluetooth support on the new PSP Go, it would be possible to pair up a PS3 Dualshock 3 or Sixaxis controller to utilise analogue acceleration and breaking (and more accurate analogue steering) in the game, yet no luck here:

So, why not offer the option to play with a PlayStation 3 controller, I asked, and make use of the "PSP Plus" technology for more accurate control?

"If you want to play on a PS3 controller," Yamauchi responded, "you'll have to play Gran Turismo 5." That also means no support for Logitech's Driving Force GT wheel. It's PSP controls or nothing.

Another new piece of information in the article - as pointed out by FoolKiller - is that Gran Turismo Mobile will make use of a new feature called Ad-Hoc Party (something that until now has only been available in the Japanese market), which is somewhat comparable to Infrastructure mode but with a few advantages. Quoted from the Wiki article concerning Ad-Hoc Party mode:

The PSP to PSP ad hoc connection is replaced by a PSP to PS3 ad hoc connection to allow online gaming on a global scale through the PlayStation Network enabled PlayStation 3. It allows advanced online multiplayer functions on the PlayStation Portable such as voice chat using the PlayStation 3 official bluetooth headset or the PlayStation Eye webcam's microphone. Text chat, known as "lobby chat", is also possible within public ("Free") rooms and private ("Password") rooms. The PlayStation 3 official Wireless Keypad is also supported, however, users must press the Enter key to begin typing.

Last edited:
Thanks, That whole PSP Plus thing was a rather dumb question to ask lol
I don't think it is a dumb question given that Resistance Retribution can do it and Yamauchi is talking about control difficulties on the PSP Go. With the A/V out cables and a PSP Plus DS3 controller option I would be very, very happy.

There were a few other details in this article that I found interesting too.

Being in the US I was not even aware that this feature existed, but it looks like those of us talking about how we don't know a lot of PSP owners, especially not any interested in Gran Turismo, may be able to play and trade with each other.

The PSP game will take advantage of the PlayStation 3 in another sense. Gran Turismo PSP one of the titles that will support Ad Hoc Party mode, letting gamers use the PS3 as an ad hoc server, taking the PSP experience online. Ad Hoc Party software is currently only available in Japan, but Sony Computer Entertainment America reps say a domestic release is in the works.
Bring on the Ad Hoc Party. I believe this is a very important thing for GTP.

And then just a small thing that appeals to me and makes me realize that when I play with a controller I am not doing it "wrong."

"We're still have some difficulties [with the PSPgo]," Yamauchi said. "It's something we're very focused on, because that's very difficult to get right." The GT creator typically opts for digital, not analog control when playing his own game.
I have never used the analog sticks. Of course, I rarely use a controller at all since I got a DFP.

Last edited:
Wow, I am happy to hear about this system of turning the PS3 into a adhoc server, none of my friends have PSP's and I thought it would be purely a single player experience for me then. Now it seems we might be able to take it online (through the PS3) :)

Wow, I am happy to hear about this system of turning the PS3 into a adhoc server, none of my friends have PSP's and I thought it would be purely a single player experience for me then. Now it seems we might be able to take it online (through the PS3) :)
I was looking into this system and it seems the beta in Japan may require a hardwired PS3 so the Wi-Fi connection is open for PS3 to PSP communication.

Of course, I can always run a cable, even just temporarily if I don't go online a lot, but that does limit some people's ability to use it if true.

Anyway, here's Wiki page on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adhoc_Party_for_PlayStation_Portable

Thats fine by me, I run a cable these days anyway rather than use my wireless. Other people might not be so happy about it though.

Pick me! Pick me! *shakes fist at the prospect of having to use a cable*

My PS3's just totally in the wrong place for a cable from my router :(

And i guess i didn't pick up on the enormity that is Ad Hoc Party :P Updated first post.

Last edited:
Pick me! Pick me! *shakes fist at the prospect of having to use a cable*

My PS3's just totally in the wrong place for a cable from my router :(
So is mine but I have a very long ethernet cable from pre-wifi days.

You can find some pretty long ones decently priced at monoprice.com.

Wow, great catch, FoolKiller! I scanned and quickly dismissed the Kotaku interview with Yamauchi, but that's actually pretty big news - typing up something for the news blog now. :)

I think KY's dismissal of PSP Plus was rather dissapointing as Im sure many would have liked that feature.

@ FoolKiller - Yeah, I know, I just don't like the idea of having it worm its way through my house :P

@ Jordan - Just read through the comments section of the article, presume none of those guys have PSPs, since they don't see the merits of a handheld or appreciate that the two games will be different to each other :)

Wow, great catch, FoolKiller! I scanned and quickly dismissed the Kotaku interview with Yamauchi, but that's actually pretty big news - typing up something for the news blog now. :)
No problem. I nearly scanned over it too, but something in the back of my mind made me read it again. Kotaku just brushed over it, but I wasn't too surprised, as they seem to have a lot of anti-PS3 bias. Particularly Crecente. Fortunately McWherter seems to balance it out a bit. I'm still unsure of Totilo though.

Last edited:
I have nothing against the 360 (considering buying one when Natal comes to fruition :P) and i think most PS3 users feel the same way, but i do get the feeling there are a reasonable number of 360 users that hate the PS3 for no reason...

Back