GTP Cool Wall : 1987-1992 Ford Mustang (5.0)

Mustang 5.0?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

boiltheocean

Premium
Samoa
Samoa
.: 1987-1992 Ford Mustang (5.0) suggested by mustangGT90210 :.

1987FordMustang_large.jpg

Spec for 1987, unless stated otherwise
Top speed: 150 mph (240 km/h)
0-60 mph: (0-96 km/h): 6.4 sec
Engine type: V8
Displacement: 302 CI (4948cc)
Transmission: 5-speed manual
Max power: 225hp @ 4,800 rpm
Max torque: 300 ft-lbs @ 3,000 rpm
Weight: 3,560 lb (1,618 kg)
Economy: 17 mpg (6.02 km/I)
Quarter Mile: 14.4-15.2 @ 90-95mph

Last edited:
Considering the only people that own one around here are guy who wear wife beaters and sell drugs, I don't really find it to be a cool car. The only thing saving it from being seriously uncool is that it had the 5.0 in it.

Only the existence of the previous Mustang II stops this one from being 'seriously uncool'.

Thanks Thatman and Leonide. I've lifted some specs from the links you both provided, even if it is a modified car Leonide, it should give people a rough idea. Thankyou Guys! + Internetz for both.

Corrections on specifications:

225hp @ 4800 and 300 ft-lbs @ 3000
302 CI (4948cc)
6.4 secs 0-60, 14.4-15.2 @ 90-95mph 1/4 mile

Ah i mean, the only thing really cool about it is that you can make it stupid fast. But it's not like it's the only car you can do that with. With it's subpar looks and the demographic that i usually see driving one, like Joey said, i give it an "uncool".

Uncool. Too played out and 4.6s sound better. :-"

Everyone and their grandmother has one; and they all have Flowmasters that have been "dead" for a few years (as in sound like crap), short throw shifters if a stick, and a CAI.

By default.

What how is this:
102_0437.jpg
102_0442.jpg
102_0440.jpg
UNCOOL?!?! okay, I should retract my cool vote that I did, I forgot what I did to the model LOLOLOL

Crap styling, and I'm serious when I say I've seen bricks with more curves and beauty. Quick out the gate and stupid fast with little money, but the only people driving them are old men trying to regain their youth and douche bags who think they're tough. Where I'm from they're considered underwear as everyone has a pair.

Uncool.

I believe I am legally obligated to vote (at least) "cool" for the following reasons:

1) I'm white

2) I'm from Michigan

3) I was born in the 1980's

4) My Dad had one, looked exactly the same as the one in the OP

I voted "cool",because I am a huge fan of the pony car market.

True,they were a bit underpowered,but still ran fairly descent.A semi-poor effort put forth by Ford to try to capitolize in the pony car market against the the likes of a Trans-Am,or a Z-28 Camaro,but that is what the big wigs at the Blue Oval office decided to throw out to the younger generation market.With some minor mods,it could hold it's own to a degree against it's counterparts at GM.

True,they were a bit underpowered,but still ran fairly descent.A semi-poor effort put forth by Ford to try to capitolize in the pony car market against the the likes of a Trans-Am,or a Z-28 Camaro,but that is what the big wigs at the Blue Oval office decided to throw out to the younger generation market.With some minor mods,it could hold it's own to a degree against it's counterparts at GM.

Just so you know...

The Mustang stock for stock was quicker than the Camaro, had much less chassis flex, and was overall the "better" car according to everyone except F-body fanboys.

Considering the only people that own one around here are guy who wear wife beaters and sell drugs.

John Bergin?

Oh...and seriously uncool cause I think John has one.

and it's not a Saab.

Just so you know...

The Mustang stock for stock was quicker than the Camaro, had much less chassis flex, and was overall the "better" car according to everyone except F-body fanboys.

That would depend on who you are calling everyone ;).While I am not an F-body fanboy,I've seen more stock Mustangs leave the track earlier than those Camaro's.Then too,I've seen several Mustangs blow the doors off of Z's and TA's on the street. The Ford -vs- Chevy war will go on for years to come.

Cool, because it ******* is. Its RWD, has a V8, makes an AWSOME noise and was/is cheap to buy and maintain. Styling is subjective but you can't deny that it was a cool pony car back in the day. You people are thinking about today, you need to be thinking about the time when the car was new. For those of you who aren't old enough to really know the Mustang (and Camaro) were epic cool in the 80's. And anyone that imported them to their home country from the US turned heads driving the car (as did the FBody).

and it's uncool. Any car with underpowered V8 is uncool.

Underpowered how? It weighed less than 3300lbs, had 300tq (which matters more than BHP between the lights) and was decently quick around the corners despite having a LRA. And try not to use your biased against it and actually product legitimate arguements please. And don't bother saying "BMW" this or "Jaguar" that because those are not in the same segment.

Just so you know...

Don't forget FBody owners which are not ALWAYS "fanboys" just so you know.

I'd prefer the LX 5.0 over the GT....

Much like this:

922.jpg

I voted cool. I almost got one as my first car rather than the Talon...

Voted cool. I agree with the points JCE made. Cheap and fast and at the time was very cool. Can't just compare these car's with cars from today. These were some of the lighter 'stangs and with very little money they could be made very fast. Styling was also a hate it or love it deal. I quite like it. You gotta remember this was a car that originated in 1979, which IMO has held up quite well. Overall one of the best bang for buck cars you can get these days.

Much like this:

922.jpg

I too prefer the "notch" coupe. I just love the way they look in darker colors as well as white and teal.

Uncool.

It's light, it's got a decent engine, it's better than the competition, whatever. That sounds like explanation to me, and explanation is always uncool. Why do you have to explain that a car is cool? Because without your explanation, it isn't. It may be good to you, but how does it look to others?

Put away the beer, get the high school graduation tassel out of your rearview mirror, and step away from the Mustang. It isn't stylish anymore.

The wonderful engine sound and the slightly mean looks keep it out of seriously uncool. Barely.

JCE
Don't forget FBody owners which are not ALWAYS "fanboys" just so you know.

I know.

I also know you don't think your 305 Camaro is the fastest and best car ever made. (And I also concede that there's as many Mustang guys with that attitude as F-body guys)

Much like this:

922.jpg

That somehow to me almost looks like a charicature, especially since it's an American V8 in it.:lol:

Back