• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Joey D

Premium
United States
Boyne Falls, MI
GTP_Joey
GTP Joey
.: Honda FCX Clarity suggested by The Vanishing Boy :.

fcx-clarity.jpg

Specs:
http://automobiles.honda.com/fcx-clarity/specifications.aspx

The vehicle is powered by a 5.7-litre, 100kW Honda Vertical Flow (V Flow) hydrogen fuel cell stack. Electricity is stored in a 288V lithium ion battery.

The electric motor is based on the motor in the EV Plus, rated at 134 horsepower (100 kW) and 189 lb·ft (256 N·m) torque @0-3056 rpm. The range on a full hydrogen tank (4.1 kg @ 5000psi) is 280 miles (~450 km), with fuel efficiency of 77/67/72 miles (~124/108/116 km) per kilogram of hydrogen in city/highway/combined driving.

Last edited:
Sub-zero. It's going to be the car that saves us from not being reduced to driving awful cars like the Chevy Volt or Toyota Prius. I love the car and I love the technology behind it.

I agree, sub-zero. Hyrdrogen is the way of the future, and for the manufacturers using H instead of normal petrol, (i.e. running a normal engine with cylinders but H the fuel) I also see it as a very legit answer to a green sports car, none of this quiet, boring, heavy electric crap. Since this is the first production Hydrogen car, even be it a people mover, it's totally awesome.

I disagree with Joey saying that the Volt is awful though, at least it's a "green" car that doesn't look like a Prius.:lol:

Hyrdrogen is the way of the future, and for the manufacturers using H instead of normal petrol, (i.e. running a normal engine with cylinders but H the fuel) I also see it as a very legit answer to a green sports car, none of this quiet, boring, heavy electric crap.

What the..?:confused:

I agree it's the way of the future and that was the only thing I understood in that quote.

Edit: Ok, I read it again and I think Paulie was talking about a future combustion engine using hydrogen as fuel. But this Honda is still that quiet, boring, heavy(?) electrical thing.

Last edited:
May I ask as to why you have deemed it uncool? Not flaming or anything, I'd just like to know. 👍

:) Because it's ugly IMO. Progress in technology and green thinking are allways very cool but as a car (vehicle) this is uncool for me.

Its not the best looking car in the world but I'd take it over the Prius and Volt. Its not a groundbreaking design but it loks good for what it is.

Its not the best looking car in the world but I'd take it over the Prius and Volt. Its not a groundbreaking design but it loks good for what it is.

The problem is that is one of the most aerodynamic shapes you can make when it comes to a small-ish car. That's why all these green cars look the same.

The idea behind it is awesome, and it doesn't look half bad either IMO. However, it just doesn't strike up the emotions of awesomeness that give a car a subzero rating. Therefore, cool.

YES! It's no R8 or DBS, but show me another family geared saloon that looks as sleek and futuristic. I'd have this over a Camry or an accord (TSX for US?) any day.

Seriously uncool.

Why? Because if anyone asks how it's powered you're gonna have to say;
The vehicle is powered by a 5.7-litre, 100kW Honda Vertical Flow (V Flow) hydrogen fuel cell stack. Electricity is stored in a 288V lithium ion battery.
And that's before you explain the process of Hydrogen Fuel cells.

[EDIT]
80Y 2C2
YES! It's no R8 or DBS, but show me another family geared saloon that looks as sleek and futuristic. I'd have this over a Camry or an accord (TSX for US?) any day.
It looks like a Prius... Which has been around for atleast 10 years. Futuristic, um, nope.

Seriously uncool.

Why? Because if anyone asks how it's powered you're gonna have to say;

And that's before you explain the process of Hydrogen Fuel cells.

Um, nope - just say it's green and runs on hydrogen.

It looks like a Prius... Which has been around for atleast 10 years. Futuristic, um, nope.

Um...that's your opinion. What would you want a family car to look like? A Lambo?

Yes it does look like a Prius, but like Joey said its one of the most aerodynamic shapes so a lot of cars will look this way in the coming years. Besides the shape the front looks a lot better then Prius and just overall it looks better. I don't know to me its the one of the best looking green cars thats out.

Tough vote, but I went with uncool.

I think the technology is cool, not sure if it's the wave of the future though.

On the other hand, it looks like a bloated civic. It'll be probably be very costly. I'm not that crazy about driving a Hindenburg. I'm also not big on the whole "go green" thing and don't think more cars like this will "save the planet".

Um, nope - just say it's green and runs on hydrogen.
"Hydrogen, is that like premium grade?"

The thing about electric is that it's a simple concept for everyone to understand. Hydrogen is emerging, and possibly the future, but it's not simple to explain.

Um...that's your opinion. What would you want a family car to look like? A Lambo?
A Mondeo/Citroen C5/SEAT Exeo.

IMO they're atleast contemporary looking cars, compared to this which could have easily have been penned 10 years ago.

I understand fully the reasoning behind it's styling, but to call it futuristic is quite a stretch.

I think the technology is cool, not sure if it's the wave of the future though.

If it's not the wave of the future than what is?

On the other hand, it looks like a bloated civic. It'll be probably be very costly. I'm not that crazy about driving a Hindenburg. I'm also not big on the whole "go green" thing and don't think more cars like this will "save the planet".

Driving a Hindenburg? So petrol isn't combustible at all? Hydrogen is no more dangerous then putting gasoline in your car, nor is it really any more dangerous to store.

And what will save the planet? Certainly not a Toyota Prius.

"Hydrogen, is that like premium grade?"

The thing about electric is that it's a simple concept for everyone to understand. Hydrogen is emerging, and possibly the future, but it's not simple to explain.
Just nod a say yes. If they ask more, just say it's electric, but you don't have to plug it in and wait - if they ask more, say it's complicated, have a twitch in your eye and excuse yourself from the conversation :lol:.

A Mondeo/Citroen C5/SEAT Exeo.

IMO they're atleast contemporary looking cars, compared to this which could have easily have been penned 10 years ago.

I understand fully the reasoning behind it's styling, but to call it futuristic is quite a stretch.

Fair enough, but wanting the car to look like a Mondeo (the back of which stikes me as looking like an Asian punched kicked in the face - not meaning to be racist), C5 (which admittadly is gorgous) or Exeo is also a bit like not liking this because it looks like a Prius. Do you not like it looking like a Prius because the Prius is offensively ugly? Or don't you like it looking like a Prius because it looks like another car?

Fair enough, but wanting the car to look like a Mondeo (the back of which stikes me as looking like an Asian punched kicked in the face - not meaning to be racist), C5 (which admittadly is gorgous) or Exeo is also a bit like not liking this because it looks like a Prius. Do you not like it looking like a Prius because the Prius is offensively ugly? Or don't you like it looking like a Prius because it looks like another car?
Neither.

I don't like it looking like a Prius because I've never seen a car that took so much effort to look so bland. Now I know the design is aerodynamicaly led, especially as the Prius' propulsion does not favour highway cruising. But I'm sure, soomehow, somewhere they could have added to the bland kammback design they've created without detriment to economy.

seriously uncool

Not the type of car for me.I'm just not a fan of fuelcell,hydrogen,hybrid type of cars.I understand the wave of the future theory that the automakers are working on which is fine by some,not by me.I'll stay with with my fuel burners.

It's...somewhere between Cool and Uncool, leaning more towards Uncool, as it's a transportation appliance...but the tech is pretty neat.

If it's not the wave of the future than what is?

Driving a Hindenburg? So petrol isn't combustible at all? Hydrogen is no more dangerous then putting gasoline in your car, nor is it really any more dangerous to store.

And what will save the planet? Certainly not a Toyota Prius.

Gasoline isn't stored at 5,000-10,000 psi. Hydrogen has low density so in order for it to fit in a car, it must be stored at a very high psi if the car is to have a decent range.

Did I say a Prius would save the planet? I don't believe any car would, no matter what propels it down the road.

People said petrol would be dangerous when it was first introduced, you just need proper safety measures. Hydrogen really is no more or less dangerous than petrol is, no any other type of fuel. Yes it explodes, yes it's stored under high pressure, but so are a lot of things and there is only an accident every so often.

And if you don't think hydrogen is the way of the future, then what is?

===

I think people are being ridiculous here, sure the car is nothing more then a Honda Accord with an aerodynamic body on it, but this is the technology that is probably going to end up working for our future cars. Petrol won't ever run out, it will however get to the point where it is too expensive to actual be an economic energy source.

Hydrogen power is the only reasonable option I can see that won't ruin our electrical grids. It won't require you to constantly keep your car plugged into the wall and it allows car to work in the same manner as they do now..

It seems like there are still way to many people out there in the world that do not care about the environment or our natural resources. They think all cars should be big, powerful, petrol drinking, beasts. I'm not a huge environmentalist, but I do understand the need to break us from our oil and other fossil fuel addictions...not just with cars, but with everything. One car won't change everything but I firmly believe the FCX is the beginning of how we'll see cars in the near future.

I'm not saying you have to think the car is cool or uncool, what I'm saying it the reasoning behind many people for saying it's uncool is very strange.

Last edited:
Uncool

Not only does it look like every other "green" car out there, Honda is taking their sweet-ass time getting the technology on the road. That, and I don't think it will totally replace the plug-in "solution" that's coming down the line.

Simply put, for the cash, I'd rather have a Tesla Model S.

Its interesting, groundbreaking, and probably the wave of the future. However, it is also essentially a futuristic Accord. Seriously Uncool, for me.

Uncool

Not only does it look like every other "green" car out there, Honda is taking their sweet-ass time getting the technology on the road. That, and I don't think it will totally replace the plug-in "solution" that's coming down the line.

Simply put, for the cash, I'd rather have a Tesla Model S.

Its interesting, groundbreaking, and probably the wave of the future. However, it is also essentially a futuristic Accord. Seriously Uncool, for me.

Now see, I can fully understand both of these reasons for being uncool.

I voted cool because it's a new technology being applied to a production car, but i really don't like the looks.

If it wasn't for the hydrogen-powered engine this car would be seriously uncool. As was mentioned before, this is essentially the new Accord.

Back