• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Joey D

Premium
United States
Boyne Falls, MI
GTP_Joey
GTP Joey
.: 1999 - 2002 Peugeot 306 GTI-6 suggested by Danny :.

DSC_0009.jpg

Specs:
Body Style: 3 Door Hatchback
Engine Code: XU10J4RS
Engine Type: 4 Cylinder DOHC Multi-Point Fuel Injection
Fuel: Unleaded Petrol (97RON recommended)
Displacement: 1998cc (2.0 litre)
Power: 167.0 bhp
Torque: 145.0 lb/ft @ 5500 rpm
Transmission: BE3-6 Manual 6-Speed
Maximum Speed: 135 mph
Acceleration (0-60): 8.8 seconds
Tyre Size: 195/55R15​

Last edited:
Cool. It's an awesome little hot hatchback that carries a GTi insignia. The only thing keeping it from going sub-zero is the fact it's French. French cars never seemed that cool to me.

Uncool. I like it - it's a pretty car, handles well, was one of the best performing hot hatches in it's day, but it's also from an era where hot hatches didn't really stand out and looked pretty much like the base models in the range - and as such, it doesn't make me turn my head and is therefore not that cool.

Now... the rule is that small European hatchbacks are automatically cool... but...

The 306 is dull. Oooooooh so very dull. And it's a Peugeot XX6, almost all of which heralded the end of the interesting Peugeots (XX7s well and truly cementing that). It replaced the 309 which was a great car, even in completely basic trim levels. The 306 GTi-6 itself may seem interesting on the face of it, but the heart of it - the engine - is borrowed from the Peugeot 405 Mi16 before it and, amazingly, the Citroen BX GTi before that.

Dull car with a 15 year old engine as new. Uncool.

I actually like the xx6 Pugs, but I wouldn't call any of them cool, particularly.

Part of the reason I like them is because they were from a time Peugeot bothered with motorsports other than diesel Le Mans cars that mean nothing to anybody. 106 and 206 super 1600? Cool. 306 F2? Cool. 206 WRC? Cool. 406 BTCC car? Cool. If they'd released road versions of any of these it would have been brilliant.

Oh, and 1st and 2nd generation 106 Rallyes are cool too. But not the 306 GTI-6.

206 sucks - 106, 306 and 406 were good cars - anything younger from Pug are terrible, heavy, slow and weak (And the diesels aren't very efficient either).

I voted "Cool" - purely cos this was one of the first cars to have a 6 speed gear box!

C.

Looks wise - it is kind of appealing,which saves it from being seriously uncool.

I'm just not a fan of fwd - 4cyl. cars.

Eh...without knowing much about the dynamics...I'll probably have to say uncool. Not much to entice me, and it's not a Clio Williams.

Hmm, as has been said there are better, cooler hatchbacks and even from Peugeot themselves.
Good but uncool.

I like the 306 GTI (in fact I like 306es in general), but it's not cool. It's more of a warm hatch than hot, and was almost exclusively bought by those who are a little too fond of Addidas trousers. A 'slightly uncool' from me.

I actually like the xx6 Pugs, but I wouldn't call any of them cool, particularly.

Part of the reason I like them is because they were from a time Peugeot bothered with motorsports other than diesel Le Mans cars that mean nothing to anybody.

Part of the reason I like them is because Peugeot hadn't yet started taking design inspiration from pond-life.

For comparison's sakes, here's an image of another car in the 306 range:

823871-2.jpg

This version looks identical to the point of having to nitpick and yet does the 60mph sprint in fourteen seconds and sounds like a tractor (being a 1.9 dTurbo).

Ordinary styling, rubbish build quality, average engine, all saved by one thing...

306's across the range had wonderful handling... A supple ride that allowed them to be quick on even the roughest country road coupled with excellent steering and really nice adjustability - not quite as tail happy off the gas as a 205, but will still swing its ass round when you ask it to.

Not as cool as a 205 1.9GTi, but still a cool car.

The only thing that saves it from being "Seriously Uncool" in my opinion is it is actually better looking than the '02 Prius or '04 Primera. Other than that, it's not too pretty to look at and it's... well... French.

The French cars, aren't too solid as far as cars go. I've only heard of one French car that was reliable and it was an '80s Peugeot owned by a friend of mine. That's about it.

For you French forum members, sorry, nothing personal.

The only thing that saves it from being "Seriously Uncool" in my opinion is it is actually better looking than the '02 Prius or '04 Primera. Other than that, it's not too pretty to look at and it's... well... French.

The French cars, aren't too solid as far as cars go. I've only heard of one French car that was reliable and it was an '80s Peugeot owned by a friend of mine. That's about it.

For you French forum members, sorry, nothing personal.

My experience of Renault's have been very reliable cars (except for the electrics, but thats a minor problem). Don't know what you're talking about.

I'd go for Average if the was an option.. Un-cool seems harsh, Cool is too much praise..

Actually.. I changed my mind, I dislike pretty much any car that has a GTi badge on it, I was trying to be objective but my bias against hot hatches is too strong.. I'm saying un-cool

My experience of Renault's have been very reliable cars (except for the electrics, but thats a minor problem). Don't know what you're talking about.

Well, you see, I live in the U.S. French cars are almost nonexistent where I'm at. But my dad lived in England for 3 years in the mid-sixties, and there were plenty of European cars there of course. He's told me stories about the Peugeots and Renaults and how they would constantly break down. Of course, that was the sixties, I don't know if France stepped it up from then till now but I don't really trust things that are French built.

Autodelta147GTA_02_lg.jpg

Clio2-L.jpg

autodelta 147 gta. bit pricey at £30,000 for 350 bhp 3.2 v6 with lsd up front. Reminds me of my 147gta on gt4 with 420bhp sub 8 minute nordschliefe.

Clio williams. enough said

Well, you see, I live in the U.S. French cars are almost nonexistent where I'm at. But my dad lived in England for 3 years in the mid-sixties, and there were plenty of European cars there of course. He's told me stories about the Peugeots and Renaults and how they would constantly break down. Of course, that was the sixties, I don't know if France stepped it up from then till now but I don't really trust things that are French built.

So you based your opinion off that? 40 year old information? Need I say more?

Ardius
So you based your opinion off that? 40 year old information? Need I say more?

Well, yes but like I said before:
I don't know if France stepped it up from then till now

I go off of what I hear last if it's not at all certain to me. If Peugeot and Renault improved the quality of their vehicles, then that's great. All I'm saying is that last I heard, French cars were unreliable. I've rarely seen a French car on the roads where I live anyway, and maybe for a certain reason. Maybe they aren't imported to the United States for a certain reason or whatever. If it makes you happy, then disregard my opinion altogether and move on. End of that particular discussion.

Everything broke down in the 60s...

autodelta 147 gta. bit pricey at £30,000 for 350 bhp 3.2 v6 with lsd up front. Reminds me of my 147gta on gt4 with 420bhp sub 8 minute nordschliefe.

Clio williams. enough said

What relevance to either of those have to this thread?

Uncool

Like Philly said...

Not a REAL GTI

Fail. Throughout the 90s, Peugeot's GTIs knocked the spots off any of VW's GTIs. In fact, the 205 GTI was always a better hot hatch than the Mk2 Golf GTI too as far as outright fun is to be considered. No magazine ever brings Mk2, Mk3 or Mk4 GTIs to "best hot hatch ever" comparisons, and when they bring Mk1 GTIs they're always a little disappointing. Everybody brings 205 GTIs and 306 Rallyes to them though. Go figure.

Back