• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Joey D

Premium
United States
Boyne Falls, MI
GTP_Joey
GTP Joey
.: 1959-2000 Mini Cooper (Classic) suggested by Joey D :.

001.jpg

Specs:

Class:
Supermini

Layout:
FF layout

Engine(s):
A-series, 850–1275 cc I4

Transmission(s):
4-speed manual, 4-speed automatic, 5 speed manual (some models only)

Wheelbase:
2.04 m (80.3 in) (saloon)
2.14 m (84.3 in) (estate and commercials)

Length:
3.05 m (120.1 in) (saloon)
3.40 m (133.9 in) (estate and commercials)
3.30 m (129.9 in) (Wolseley Hornet/Riley Elf)

Width:
1.40 m (55.1 in)

Height:
1.35 m (53.1 in)

Kerb weight:
617 to 686 kg (1,360 to 1,512 lb)

Designer:
Sir Alec Issigonis​

Last edited:
Sub-zero. Not only was it voted the second more influential car in automotive history, it's also an icon just like the 57 Chevy. I love these little cars and I would really like to own one some day, although US imports are hard to find and expensive for the most part. For now though I'll live with the MINI, which is more practical on US roads but not nearly as cool.

And I really do hope this can be our second non-exotic in the Sub-Zero category.

Sub-zero without shadow of a doubt. One of the most well-known cars in the world, absolutely classless, a motorsport legend, looks brilliant, was ground-breaking when it was released, loved by men and women equally, affordable to anyone... I could go on.

I hate little cars!

But, you can't take anything away from it's iconic status..

I've gotta just go for cool though, so many of my friends have owned them in the past I would never even look twice at one in the street now.

Sub-Zero, it just is, no need for an explanation.

+1. Saw the title of the thread... didn't even scroll down before I voted.

Loving an old Mini is as easy as breathing. Absolutely epic little cars. Lucas electricals, a suspension made from plugs of rubber tree sap, the crash safety of a tin lunchbox... yet there was never a car that was so right...

Sub-Zero and then some, it goes to it's very own special place. Especially the original Cooper S.

Horrible, nasty, awful car, by far outclassed in every department by most road cars today yet still rated for their handling (somehow). I'd never, ever, ever, ever buy one in a billion years.

Cool.

Famine, It's a relic from the '60s, who's going to expect it to keep up with modern traffic?

That's what irritates me most about Top Gear. They can't seem to put things into perspective when it comes to old cars. You can't compare old cars to new ones, the tech jump is too great.

Still, a mere "cool" for me. grandfather of FWD packaging, worked well for a car its size...Unfortunately...it's too cute to be icebox.

They were still being sold in this decade, and people still buy them used. By choice!

People still buy them because they are awesome, like I said I would buy one in a heart beat but most Mini's in good shape in the US run $10k+ and ones in great shape are north of $20k in some cases.

It's that nostalgia thing. They're still building AC Cobras and Ford GT40s, which, in their class, are outdone by much newer, more comfortable cars.

I don't think anyone would buy a first-gen Mini as an alternative to a Fiesta. They'll buy it for the nostalgia.

Have you ridden in/driven one of the Mini's then-competitors? Anglia? Cortina? VW type I?

Have you ridden in/driven one of the Mini's then-competitors? Anglia? Cortina? VW type I?

Yep.

Along with four different Minis (off the top of my head, a Cooper, two 997s and a 1275), three Mk1 Fiestas, a Mk1 Panda, a Triumph Dolomite, a Citroen Ax, two Peugeot 205s, a Zephyr, a Viva... you get the gist.

I just remembered that I forgot the Talbot Samba. I think I hated that more.

Whee, sub-zero! I've always wanted one because they were tiny, although now I want a Suzuki Cappuccino, that Mini will always remain in my heart. Or on Midfield Raceway in GT3.

Cool. Because most people know about it, doesn't mean it has to be Sub-Zero. It isn't a "woah!" car to me, but I would like to have one.

They're dreadful.

But cheap.

I don't know, I've ridden in them before and I found them to be pretty awesome. I'm sure ferrari_chris or Roo can chime in here for a better opinion.

Absolutely awesome car. This thing is something that will always stand out for me, and I want to own one.

Yet I couldn't give it more than cool.

Back