GTP Cool Wall: MKI Golf GTI. Voting Open!

• Thread starter Joey D
  • 44 comments

MKI GTI?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Joey D

Premium
United States
Boyne Falls, MI
GTP_Joey
GTP Joey
.: Volkswagen Golf I GTI suggested by Philly :.

car_photo_219650_7.jpg

Specs:
Production: 600,000
Years: 1976-1984
Price at launch: £3707
0-60mph:8.7secs
Top speed:112mph
Power:110bhp
Torque:96lb/ft
MPG:28mpg
Configuration:in-line four
Aspiration:normal
Fuel: petrol
Fuel delivery:electronic fuel injection
Suspension Front: Independent, MacPherson strut, coil spring
Suspension Rear: Independent, trailing arm, coil spring
Drivetrain: front-engine FWD
Steering: rack and pinion
Bodyframe: metal monocoque
Transmission: 4-speed manual
Length: 3721mm
Wheelbase: 2400mm
Width: 1613mm
Height: 1410mm
Weight: 830kgs​

Sub-zero. It created the "hot hatch" segment and hot hatches are awesome.

While it did not really create the "hot hatch" segment, I will agree it is subzero. There is something infinitely floggable about a MkI GTI, which unfortunately led to most of them getting flogged to death.

The only other car that could have started the "hot hatch" segment is the Alfa Romeo Alfasud. It still boils down to being one of those two and since the GTi has more of a world following I'd say it was more influential in the creation of the segment.

Source: http://www.pistonheads.com/doc.asp?c=52&i=16353

Um....

Vauxhall Chevette HS? Talbot Sunbeam Lotus?

Meh, just cool for me. Engine's in the wrong end for a VW. ;P

I think like the DB9 in TG, this deserves it's own little cooler. :cool: This is Genesis when it came to a great handling FF car with decent power for it's day and everything from the 205 to the Pulsar GTi-R can base their 'hot hatch' heritage all back to this car, regardless of drivetrain.

Beyond Sub-Zero. :cool:

Um....

Vauxhall Chevette HS? Talbot Sunbeam Lotus?

The Chevette HS was released in 1978 and the Sunbeam in 1977, respectively.

The only other car I can think of that may be early is the Renault 5 Gordini, but I don't know for sure. Wikipedia shows that it came out a year before the GTi.

Sub Zero. Why?

That's why. it's a 70's hatchback with 70's aerodynamics, and when properly modified, it will give F430's, GT-R's, M3's and M5 etc a run for their money.

Subzero.

Moved the game on from the old RWD stuff and created the hothatch generation... sure there was the Sud, but that rusted away to nothing quicker than it reached 100mph.

Sub-Zero. It's a pioneer in what is possibly the most awesome class of cars on the road. It's light, it's fun to drive and very practical. What's not to love about it?

And it's a VW.

IMO cool is too much for this car, I voted uncool. It probably is a good car but I'm not a fan of hot hatches, the ones I do really enjoy are much newer. The last Golf VR-6 before they went to the new bubbly body style is to me really cool, especially for a FWD car. Probably the only other hatch being an R32 Golf in the same body style as the VR-6 above. This car just is not my cup of tea. I apparently have bad taste due to the results so far, I can't help it though, the car just doesn't do it for me.

I'm not a big fan of the segment at all either.. I sometimes drive my mates MkII 16V GTi, and it's pretty underwhelming.. plus hot hatches are now pretty much just chav-chariots, and IMO the hatch back shape is quite a lot like a dog wiping its ass on the carpet. Nope, not a fan at all.

Sub Zero. It's a Mk1 Golf. It's a GTi. It's the original GTi.

It is so full of win it hurts.

The only other car I can think of that may be early is the Renault 5 Gordini, but I don't know for sure. Wikipedia shows that it came out a year before the GTi.
The 1972 Gremlin X!!
74_Gremlin_X_AMT.jpg

Rawr!

Though, seriously, maybe Duke means the 1974 Saab 99 EMS Combi Coupe?

Actually, looking at it, you're right...it is a hatchback (well, a glassback, as the rear glass is all that lifts on it, apparently,)...but it's not a hothatch in the sense that the GTi is. It's a hatchback with a V8 under the hood, and a relatively unrefined suspension...I've seen a test of the car, apparently disturbingly tail-happy because of the shorter leaf springs as compared to the AMC Hornet.

Just barely got a cool vote from me. Another one I'm pretty much on the fence about between cool and uncool though.

Normally don't care for hot hatches at all, something strangely appeals to me about this one though and I don't know what it is.

Cool. Only not sub-zero because non "car people" will just assume it's an old banger and wonder why someone hasn't chopped it in for something under the scrappage scheme. If I bought a Mk1 GTI, my girlfriend and all the people I work with would wonder why I'd spent my cash on something fifteen years older than my current car.

There's a period between the 70s and early 90s that the general public don't consider "classics" yet as they've grown up with them being the norm. Only car people "get" these cars.

Sub-Zero

Likely the most-rad VW ever produced (okay, maybe the Scirocco GTI), its beyond sub-zero for me. On the "List of Cars I'd Love to Have" this sits comfortably in the top-five. A damn shame they're impossible to find in good condition 'round here.

Cool. Only not sub-zero because non "car people" will just assume it's an old banger and wonder why someone hasn't chopped it in for something under the scrappage scheme. If I bought a Mk1 GTI, my girlfriend and all the people I work with would wonder why I'd spent my cash on something fifteen years older than my current car.

That's part of what makes it awesome I think. Plus, when they look at you all funny like because you bought a "beater," you get to secretly laugh at them because they haven't a clue what it is. Then you get to laugh out loud when you beat whatever they have in your "POS mobile."

Like the classic Mini how is this not automatically subzero? I mean come on, its a freaking MkI GTI!

I am not going to vote subzero. I am not going to vote subzero. I am not going to vote subzero. Oh snap... I did.

If only for the fact that it's the only VW aside from a supercharged Corrado that I'd actually consider driving of my own volition. (I'd vote the classic Beetle subzero, but I'd rather park it and look at it than drive it) No other Golf turns me on, sadly.

It's a good car, but it's hardy cool. And as mentioned before, it was beaten to existence by the underrated Saab 99.

Cool, I respect it's achievements, but that doesn't make a car Sub Zero to me. I'm just not a fan of the styling particularly, so only a cool from me.

Quick question: Did you guys in the States ever actually officially get the MkI GTI or have people been importing them from Europe?

I must admit, I do think the South African CitiGolf is absolutely brilliant:

100663.jpeg

100664.jpg

citi_golf_int_sport.jpg

MkI GTI with updated looks, interior and tech? Yes please.

Quick question: Did you guys in the States ever actually officially get the MkI GTI or have people been importing them from Europe?

We got the Rabbit GTI as far as I know, which was more or less the same car I believe. We didn't get it until 1983 though. Someone might be able to fill in the gaps for me.

I must admit, I do think the South African CitiGolf is absolutely brilliant:

100663.jpeg

100664.jpg

citi_golf_int_sport.jpg

MkI GTI with updated looks, interior and tech? Yes please.

DO WANT. :drool:

Latest Posts

Back