• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Joey D

Premium
United States
Boyne Falls, MI
GTP_Joey
GTP Joey
.: 2009+* Mazda MX-5 suggest by YSSMAN :.

2009_mazda_mx_5_miata_grand_touring_29_cd_gallery.jpg

Specs:
Engine: MZR 2.0L inline four-cylinder, 167 BHP
Transmission: Five-speed manual (standard), six-speed manual (optional), six-speed automatic (optional)
Zero to 60 mph: 6.9 sec
Standing ¼-Mile: 15.3 sec @ 91 mph
Braking: 70–0 mph: 166 ft
Roadholding: 0.87 g

(Base) MSRP: $22,420

*This is the most recent facelifted MX-5, it is still on the NC platform though.

Last edited:
Gotta say Uncool on this one...

Well, It's good, but...it's no NA8C Miata. Or an NB, really. It's got a gut compared to those cars, grown larger and softer.

I wouldn't mind the group going hardcore Honda S2000 on it...

Cool. It's still an affordable roadster which is fun to drive, however I will always like like the original NA chassis Miata (MX-5 whatever) more and think that they are cooler. The new one seems to have gotten bigger and fatter (like everything that ages), although I am impressed Mazda hasn't ruined the car. I even like this new facelift, it has a goofy smiling face which just screams out "I'M HAVING FUN!!!1!1!!!One!"

I'm going to go for cool on this one. It might be a bit softer than the older MX-5s and perhaps not quite as fun, but it's still an iconic small roadster that anyone can enjoy, whether you're the sort who takes it on track days or simply the sort who likes to cruise around with the top down and appreciate the more sedate aspects of driving.

You do get the occasional ignoramus who thinks it's a hairdresser's car, but that image seems to be subsiding a little and more people seem to appreciate it as something to enjoy driving.

It's sometimes hard to have fun driving these days. The MX-5 makes journeys that little bit more special. And that's cool.

Mine would even have the hard-top roof, as in the UK you'd appreciate the extra security and weather protection.

I have to agree actually, I do prefer the pre-facelift car, if only because it looks a little more similar to the NA. I have to wonder what Mazda will come up with for the "ND" MX-5...

Cool

I'll admit that I like the NCs quite a lot. The new face actually looks much better than I had expected. For the money, there aren't many cars that are better for all-around awesome. I'll have mine in BR Green with the tan top, please.

From that photo, im thinking cool.
Good looking, good to drive, and on the whole not driven by ****s

The only thing I do wonder is have they got rid of the rear likes from the last generation? Looked like the sort of after market rubbish chavs stick on the back of their 206s.....

From that photo, im thinking cool.
Good looking, good to drive, and on the whole not driven by ****s

The only thing I do wonder is have they got rid of the rear likes from the last generation? Looked like the sort of after market rubbish chavs stick on the back of their 206s.....

mazda_mx-5_2009.jpg

How the hell do you come up with such specific percentages?

He apparently has his own percentages that he uses to rate the car. I'm thinking he's got his own list of criteria for the cars.

I think Mazda should rethink thier marketing strategy on trying to improve looks intead improve on performance. They should just offer more choices on different engine sizes and configurations. Like 1600, 1800, 2000, 2.6, turbo, nonturbo, V6, V6-turbo even Rotary. Hell they can start charging crazy for the higher end models.

Old men and ladies own the road in these things, or ateast they think. Face lift doesn't do it for me either, something about the front makes it even more girly and cute.

Uncool.

Uncool...

This latest facelift doesn't really attract me to the car... Mostly, this car driven by girls and women, so absolutely not my choice... Sorry guys :(

Uncool...

This latest facelift doesn't really attract me to the car... Mostly, this car driven by girls and women, so absolutely not my choice... Sorry guys :(

picture.php

Hmmm, I don't know? I don't see a lot of women driving in the Mazda Spec series and I think the Miata has one of the biggest car clubs in the world. Plus if the girls love it then it could be a chick magnet. :sly:

Last edited:
Well here in Malaysia, everytime I saw the MX5, it's a girl whose driving it...

Except for a white coloured one that I saw last year which a guy that drove the car...

Cool. despite the happy retard-fascia, I know that it will shine in the twisties. Sometimes ugly cars just are faster..

Cool.

It's an MX-5, but it's just not the same as the older ones. I think this is a car that might increase in coolness as time goes by, though.

Where to start...

The ingredients are right for a cool car. Pretty-pretty styling and purpose built convertible. It has no uncool fundamentals...

Except what came before it. The NC/NC.5 isn't as sharp looking as the NA/NB/NB.5. It certainly isn't as sharp-handling either - as standard it comes with a 4x4 ride height that can be rectified with a £400 aftermarket Eibach suspension kit which was attached to the original show car but deleted from the production model. This doesn't fix the handling completely though - it's not a patch on former '5s.

And that's because it's also much heavier - and to compensate for the extra weight they've stuck a 2 litre engine in it (no idea where the performance in post 1 comes from - it's no faster than a 1.8 NA/NB), completely missing the point of what made MX-5s good in the first place... the Lotus Elan. Wee engine up front driving wee wheels out back and not much in between except some guy wearing flying goggles and that weekend's mistress.

That engine itself is an issue as well. It's a 2 litre MZR. Except it's a 2 litre Ford Focus engine with MZR stamped on it. For that matter almost every moving part on the NC/NC.5 is sourced from a Ford Focus - it's a reversing Focus...

And then we get to the owners. NC owners aren't MX-5 owners. They're NC owners - usually older, former '5 owners or that certain type of girl who wants a cute little convertible and it's a toss up between that and the Mini Cabrio.

Ultimately, the NC/NC.5 is a bigger, softer, comfier MX-5. It's a cruiser, not a sports car. That's fine, but it's a different market, there's other cars which do the job better and, essentially, they're playing on the good name of the MX-5 to shift a car which isn't one.

But none of that matters. It's a small, cute, purpose-built convertible. Take the roof off and drive it about for a day and you'll get out with a smile on your face.

I hate this car, but it's cool.

I've always been entertained by how much effort that Mazda went through to rename the car in the U.S. before just giving up because no one bought it.

no idea where the performance in post 1 comes from - it's no faster than a 1.8 NA/NB

Indeed. You'd need slicks, a five foot roll-out and Car and Driver's famous "SAE corrections" to actually hit 100 km/h that quickly. 7.5 seconds is as good as it's going to get, otherwise.

I hate this car, but it's cool.

I'm kinda on the opposite side of the fence... I love this car, but it's borderline uncool...

Why? Because it's nowhere near as good as the original. This car is so much better for driving down the highway or commuting in traffic... and it's sharper, more precise, more grippy, more torquey (and I object... the MZR 2.0 is a good engine... not great... the exhaust note is horrid and it's way too linear... but it's a good motor...)

BUT...

The smile an NA puts on your face after you drive one is just so much wider... it just feels more like a real car.

Still merits a cool, though... because the PRHT is the best automatic folding/unfolding tin-top on the planet... bar none. And I'd bet it's the most energy efficient tin-top, too... it makes every other tin-top look like a Rube Goldberg device.

Back