GTP Cool Wall: Tesla Model S. Voting Open!

• Thread starter Joey D
  • 53 comments

Tesla Model S

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey D

Premium
United States
Boyne Falls, MI
GTP_Joey
GTP Joey
.: Tesla Model S suggested by homeforsummer :.

1250085109858.jpg

Specs:
• 0-60 mph in 5.6 seconds
• ¼ mile in 14 seconds
• 120 mph top speed
• Braking 60-0 mph 135 feet
• 42 kWh battery storage system standard
• 70 kWh and greater battery storage systems optional
• 9- inch liquid cooled electric motor
• Single-speed transaxle gearbox
• Curb Weight 3825 lbs
• Overall Length 196"
• Wheelbase 116.5"
• All-wheel-drive available (option available in future production models)
• Right hand drive available​

The styling is awesome - but I'm a strong believer that hydrogen is the way forward. Therefore, that Honda FCX is cooler than this, but this is still...

cool.

Tesla finally realise how to make an electric car. Cool, but not sub-zero.

Uncool. It's all electric instead of hydrogen. I like the design even though it looks like the cobbled something together from Maserati, Aston Martin, Porsche, and Audi.

Last edited:
Uncool. It's another electric car. Wake me up when they can actually constantly perform the figures they publish.

Aside from the batteries, chassis, and electronics, It's no different a concept from the '35 Detroit Electric I saw at the Wheels o' Time Museum.

100_5216.jpg

Just slides over the uncool line. 49.999999999999999% (Arbitrary rating GO!!!!)

Sub-zero! Look at that dash... that would frighten elderly people.
I’d love to own an I-pod touch with 4 doors. 👍

tesla-model-s-interior-screen.jpg

If you say "Electric car" in the UK, the first thing most people think of is:

twitter.jpg

(that actual image too).

Which leaves only one option.

Not voting.

Am 50:50 on this. For one thing, it's a more serious car than the seriously uncool Tesla Roadster... and it looks good, to boot.

It has the right performance numbers... minus the range... which doesn't matter too much... if you can afford this, you've probably got other cars... and top speed... (second gear... please?) for a car in that price range... so buyers won't feel that they've had to sacrifice too much in not buying a Lexus...

Ah... what the hell... uncool.

Looks good. But it's electric. I don't even want to imagine the douchebaggery that will be sitting in Model S driver's seats.

Seriously Uncool.

minus the range... which doesn't matter too much... if you can afford this, you've probably got other cars...

Which makes the whole concept pointless.

Considering it would probably require charging overnight, i don't know if i can consider this car useful at all. Uncool.

It looks ok outside, but i don't like the whole interior. Like the new GT-R, parts of the interior look dated. That screen, mainly. It just looks off.

Styling is good... a bit of Aston Rapide, a bit of Mazda 6, a hint of Maserati.

If it delivers on the performance claims and has a decent range then it would be cool... but invariably electric cars don't.

I'll reserve judgement until we know what it's actually capable of.

For those saying it's uncool because it's not hydrogen powered... sort of right, but the technollogy just doesn't exit in a cost effective form to make hydrogen powered cars feasible... so you can't really criticise this car for not being fulled by hydrogen.

Hmm, and where does the electricity come from for this?

Pointless, I'll stick with fossil fuels or alcohol until hydrogen is more feasible.

See, if people weren't so worried about Nuclear energy, it would be cool, but nuclear fusion isn't readily available yet either and fission isn't very environmentally friendly.

Hmm, and where does the electricity come from for this?

Pointless, I'll stick with fossil fuels or alcohol until hydrogen is more feasible.

See, if people weren't so worried about Nuclear energy, it would be cool, but nuclear fusion isn't readily available yet either and fission isn't very environmentally friendly.

And where does the power to crack hydrogen come from? :lol:

-

Nuclear Fission, actually, isn't all that cost-effective, either... though if oil gets too expensive, it might make a limited comeback.

Which makes the whole concept pointless.

What? Like an A-List Celebrity's Prius? :lol:

Cool. An electric car that is actually great-looking, practical, and and pushes the boundaries for greater range in electrics. People would just look at it, not knowing its electric and say "cool", hence, it is cool.

Cool, because it's electric, which I believe is the future, not hydrogen.

Actually, it isn't cool because of that. It's cool because people don't care that it's an electric car - it performs well, doesn't look like Prius, gets a pretty good range, seats a full complement of people, and the brand has a good image.

In other words, it's cool despite being an electric car.

Cool, because it's electric, which I believe is the future, not hydrogen.

Actually, it isn't cool because of that. It's cool because people don't care that it's an electric car - it performs well, doesn't look like Prius, gets a pretty good range, seats a full complement of people, and the brand has a good image.

The only problem with electric cars is that they rely on the grid's power system, which is still for the most part fueled with coal. I also have to imagine there will be a huge strain on the grid if we all start drawing a bunch of power each night to charge our cars.

Electric might work in parts of the world, but here in the states I doubt it'll ever be feasible. Many of us have pretty long commutes to and from work so I don't know how easy it would be for us or if we'd ever subscribe to the idea. I don't like the idea of having to wait several hours for my car to charge up, I want to put something in an and be off again in a matter of minutes.

Am I the only one that see the irony in that post considering your signature, mentioning a particular car?

The only problem with electric cars is that they rely on the grid's power system, which is still for the most part fueled with coal. I also have to imagine there will be a huge strain on the grid if we all start drawing a bunch of power each night to charge our cars.

Electric might work in parts of the world, but here in the states I doubt it'll ever be feasible. Many of us have pretty long commutes to and from work so I don't know how easy it would be for us or if we'd ever subscribe to the idea. I don't like the idea of having to wait several hours for my car to charge up, I want to put something in an and be off again in a matter of minutes.

And yet people never seem to realise that the whole oil and refuelling network also uses huge amounts of energy that are taken out of the equation with electric cars. "Electric cars still have to get their energy from somewhere" - well yes, obviously, but then so do oil rigs, refineries, petrol stations...

You're also making the same old assumption that technology will remain right where it is at the moment, as if there'll be no further improvements in range and recharging time.

It's also been mentioned, time and time again, that overnight there is a vast amount of electricity being produced that isn't being used. Unfortunately I can't back the following statement up, but I'm sure I heard somewhere that the grid could easily handle as many as 180 million electric cars being re-charged each night.

And yet people never seem to realise that the whole oil and refuelling network also uses huge amounts of energy that are taken out of the equation with electric cars. "Electric cars still have to get their energy from somewhere" - well yes, obviously, but then so do oil rigs, refineries, petrol stations...

You're also making the same old assumption that technology will remain right where it is at the moment, as if there'll be no further improvements in range and recharging time.

It's also been mentioned, time and time again, that overnight there is a vast amount of electricity being produced that isn't being used. Unfortunately I can't back the following statement up, but I'm sure I heard somewhere that the grid could easily handle as many as 180 million electric cars being re-charged each night.

My argument to this is rather than spending money on an electric car, it would probably be more green to use a normal car for emergencies and a bicycle or walking where possible. The electric car still uses fossil fuels in the end and the benefit of producing less polution locally will always be outweighed by this.
But, if the electric car is fuelled by a fusion reactor, then I'm all for it. Problem is we haven't sorted fusion out yet.

None of this is particularly cool unless you're a physics teacher though.

And where does the power to crack hydrogen come from? :lol:

From nuclear fusion. Seriously, if we solve that, we solve everything.

Last edited:
This has inevitably turned into yet another hydrogen vs. electric thread, but I'll play along. :lol:

To add to what homeforsummer posted, electric cars are also pretty much future-proof; it doesn't matter if they get their energy from coal, nuclear fission, fusion or whatever, if the source of energy for the power grid changes, electric cars will not have to change. Whereas gas powered cars will inevitably need to convert to the next power source, or they get thrown in the scrapheap.

I came up with an idea for extending electric car ranges the other day, you know those electric buses that utilize power lines hanging over the street? Why not build a similar infrastructure for electric cars? It could be a thin metal strip in the middle of the lanes on freeways, that could be used by some magnetic metal thing hanging from the bottom of the car, to power it and charge it. You could have a 300 mile range battery for off-freeway driving and have infinite range on these metal strips. That would make commuting a breeze.

Obviously, that means the government would have to build infrastructure for electric freeways, etc. But it's something to think about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back