New Video Interview with Kazunori Yamauchi at GameTrailers

Check it out here:
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/tgs-09-gran-turismo/57623

One interesting thing in the interview is his comment on the brand new physics engine in the game...he says as you play the game for the first 10-15 seconds, you'll immediately notice that it is "easier to drive." Interesting. :) He goes on and says throwing off the balance of the car will result in much more realistic spins and crashes. I think there will be still a lot of challenge in the game for hardcore fans, so don't let that throw you off too much as it should feel just like GT5P I believe.

Most of the rest is the same stuff, but he seems very confident (as always) with the game. I just hope we do not see anymore delays. :)

Last edited:
Damn beat me by 2 minutes.

I like the talk about the new physics, as well as the improved Ai. I think GT5 will feel the most "fresh" compared to other GTs.

On the release date I feel "not to long" translates into a month or so. Definitely before the summer and in the spring.

Easier to drive? Not sure what that is alluding to... could be good, could be bad...

I like the spins and crashes thing though... sounds like work on the physics engine.

Easier to drive is not necessarily a bad thing

In GT5P I raced the Ford GT on N tires and the default setup a few months back. It felt like racing in a monsoon with gravel all over the track. The car was so unstable in certain situations you had to display zen master type focus to control it...

In short it was too hard, so improving some parts of the physics to more lifelike levels may make it easier which in turn may not mean it is being dumbed down.

Improved, more exact AI because of NASCAR.

He said NASCAR tracks

He also said NASCAR will the special type of racing that's in the game.

So how can he just have two oval tracks, Indy and Daytona? I'm sure more oval tracks will be announced soon. Relax those who hate ovals, most ovals have world class FIA approved roadcourses built inside them like Daytona and Indy.

Easier to drive is not necessarily a bad thing

In GT5P I raced the Ford GT on N tires and the default setup a few months back. It felt like racing in a monsoon with gravel all over the track. The car was so unstable in certain situations you had to display zen master type focus to control it...

In short it was too hard, so improving some parts of the physics to more lifelike levels may make it easier which in turn may not mean it is being dumbed down.

Improved, more exact AI because of NASCAR.

He said NASCAR tracks

He also said NASCAR will the special type of racing that's in the game.

So how can he just have two oval tracks, Indy and Daytona? I'm sure more oval tracks will be announced soon. Relax those who hate ovals, most ovals have world class FIA approved roadcourses built inside them like Daytona and Indy.

Yeah I love oval tracks

I wonder if they will open up NASCAR to road courses... I wouldn't mind taking a NASCAR car out on Infineon...

I do get kind of worried after watching again though as the easier part sounds like part of the whole TGS physics engine almost like based on GC response they changed everything to be easier...

I mean they scrapped everything after GT4, so it stands everything is new at GC, to specifically say TGS version has a brand new physics engine is pretty much saying rebuilt since GC right?

It all makes me uneasy becuase it sounds very much like this late in the game, they are retooling a lot from the ground up... stuff like that always brings up images of... delay....

Last edited:
You know, credit Polyphony Digital for all of this and the way Kazunori Yamauchi explained this whole deal. You may say that this game is taking so long because PD wants to make this a completely different experience of any GT title. People are probably going to complain saying that this is going to be the same old GT that doesn't seriously set itself apart from GT's past. Still, remain positive overall on GT5. I won't be slamming PD or GT for any future delays.

By the way, great video find!

One interesting thing in the interview is his comment on the brand new physics engine in the game...he says as you play the game for the first 10-15 seconds, you'll immediately notice that it is "easier to drive."

Sounds good for me. Looks like PD is working hard, will be the best game in series, no doubts

I wonder if they will open up NASCAR to road courses... I wouldn't mind taking a NASCAR car out on Infineon...

I do get kind of worried after watching again though as the easier part sounds like part of the whole TGS physics engine almost like based on GC response they changed everything to be easier...

I mean they scrapped everything after GT4, so it stands everything is new at GC, to specifically say TGS version has a brand new physics engine is pretty much saying rebuilt since GC right?

It all makes me uneasy becuase it sounds very much like this late in the game, they are retooling a lot from the ground up... stuff like that always brings up images of... delay....

I am a big fan of Infineon, mainly because I live about 6 miles from it. It is an INCREDIBLE track. NASCAR makes it seem crazy, because those cars are NOT BUILT for road courses. Infineon's sports car course is fun also.

Little Known fact; Infineon has a go-kart track. thats fun to drive on also...

I think Kazunori needs to talk about physics engine of GT5 more....
What he means easier to drive.??
Easier to drive and close to real life.?

I think it will not be really easier.
If you notice how fast a car spins, when touched by an ai driver...
more realistic: YES.. easier: GUESS NOT

I think it will not be really easier.
If you notice how fast a car spins, when touched by an ai driver...
more realistic: YES.. easier: GUESS NOT

There is a big difference between merely driving a car and pushing one to its limits on a track though, you are reducing the margin for error significantly. Yes driving a car is easy, driving a car WELL though, now that is a lot more challenging. I'm very excited to hear Kazunori make comments like that, reading between the lines it means that the physics and DRIVING FEEL (which I think is often overlooked) are getting closer to the real thing.

There is a world of difference between making a game "easier" per se, and simply "easier to progress though". Not everybody has the skill or time to 100% a game that has ridiculously hard challenges. It should be quite easy for PD to make the game easier to progress though, while still providing challenges to those who want them.

As for transferring cars over from GTPSP...I can't say that really appeals to me. I don't have the game anyway, but if I did, would I want to transfer a load of cars over? Not sure. It dilutes the challenge and gives you less to aim for in the game.

I think Kazunori needs to talk about physics engine of GT5 more....
What he means easier to drive.??
Easier to drive and close to real life.?
What he means is, driving a car is easy. That's fact, simply proven by looking out of the window (OK, you get some people who struggle!) Even driving a car at speed is easy - just put your foot down. However, driving a car on the limit around a track, and when you cross over that limit, knowing how to recover and keep in control is where the skill lies. I am assuming he is implying that the slow-speed physics mean that the game feels easier to play, because it should do, but when you get the car out of line, it behaves realistically.

Last edited:
Hopefully the word easier refers to realism. What I mean is when something is more true to itself, it is more easily itself.

Edit: If they made a video game based on riding a bicycle, most everybody would know what it feels like to ride a bike in real life. Now, translating that to a video is another story. It might take many titles to perfect the well-known feeling of riding a bike through a video game. So, maybe the easier in GT's case is referring to the transition of real-life driving into a video game. And because now that it's more easy to drive the cars in Gran Turismo, it is more true to true life. Therefore, the easiness the game is trying to replicate is the easiness or familiarity of true to life physics. Physics which we are used to in every day driving....And of course some of the physics most don't get to check out!

Last edited:
There is the standard and the simulation mode, so i guess standard will be even easier and the simulation mode will be the same near perfect simulation physics we know from prologue.

I dont see any problem here!

he said nascar circuits wıll be included in GT5 and then all racings type circuits will be included too.
That means WRC tracks in there?

If the physics are easier on GT5 compared to GT5P then I personally think thats a good thing.

I have played GT5P with both the pad and the G25. Now with the G25 I really enjoyed the GT5P physics but using the pad on professional was at times too difficult IMO especially on rear wheel drive cars.

I tell you one thing I have learn't over the past few weeks though. I have been playing the FM3 demo quiet extensively but since then I have gone back to playing GT5P & GT PSP. If you want to be fast and competitive on GT5 do not play Forza 3. I found the Forza 3 demo teaches you bad driving habits due to the arcadey nature of the handling.

If it was down to me I would make the GT5 standard physics easier but keep the difficulty of professional as it is. This way all types of racers are catered for.

If the physics are easier on GT5 compared to GT5P then I personally think thats a good thing.

I have played GT5P with both the pad and the G25. Now with the G25 I really enjoyed the GT5P physics but using the pad on professional was at times too difficult IMO especially on rear wheel drive cars.

I tell you one thing I have learn't over the past few weeks though. I have been playing the FM3 demo quiet extensively but since then I have gone back to playing GT5P & GT PSP. If you want to be fast and competitive on GT5 do not play Forza 3. I found the Forza 3 demo teaches you bad driving habits due to the arcadey nature of the handling.

If it was down to me I would make the GT5 standard physics easier but keep the difficulty of professional as it is. This way all types of racers are catered for.
You are missing the point I fear. In GT5 Prologue, the physics don't feel "right", they are flawed.

There is the standard and the simulation mode, so i guess standard will be even easier and the simulation mode will be the same near perfect simulation physics we know from prologue.

You think prologue has near-perfect simulation physics? :indiff:

What would have you believe that gt5p has near perfect physics? Perhaps they were good enough for prologue at the time but not for gt5. As for what Kaz has said about the newer physics, I read that cars will behave more naturally and not simplified under the limit because they shouldn't feel like your on ice like they do now. Over the limit cars should now react even more realistic. A good physics engine should make driving feel intuitive.

I wouldn't go as far to say they are flawed. I wouldn't say they are perfect but certainly better than on any other console racing game.

I would. Put it this way, I drop the clutch in my rear drive car with an LSD, and the rear end steps sideways and crabs its way off the mark. I do the same in any number of cars in GT5P and it does nothing of the kind, and thats just the beginning. The grip is too low, you can't feel understeer etc etc...

They are most definitely flawed.

The grip is too low, you can't feel understeer etc etc...

I might be misreading your post as im still half asleep so I do apologise. However isn't this statement a contradiction as you say grip is too low and you can't feel understeer. Surely losing grip on the front tires is exactly what understeer is!

I might be misreading your post as im still half asleep so I do apologise. However isn't this statement a contradiction as you say grip is too low and you can't feel understeer. Surely losing grip on the front tires is exactly what understeer is!

Yes - but you are missing my point. Overall, the tyre grip is too low, compared to how real cars feel on real roads.

But on top of this, in a normal roadcar, there is a distinctly different feeling coming through the wheel when you overwhelm the front tyres and the car starts to push or understeer. This is an awful, "juddery" sensation where you can almost feel the treadblocks squirming across the tarmac, trying to find a purchase and failing. None of this is replicated in GT5p, nothing except the audiovisual effect of the car sliding wide. The fact that GT5p overlooks these fairly basic physical aspects of aggressive driving (such as you would on a track) means it is deeply flawed. Kazunori's words about GT5's physics make me think that he has addressed these problems and more, though.

Latest Posts

Back