"Slow is Fast" gets new meaning

• Thread starter kekke2000
  • 32 comments

kekke2000

Premium
Sweden
Sweden
kekke2000
Sorry for the cryptic title. I just did some ad-hoc racing with a friend and overtook him so I asked what speed he had. It was faster than mine... so I did this test.

Pic1: The R8 is in front of the Sauber and is aperantly doing over 43 km/h more than the Sauber.
img1896gq.jpg

Pic2: The cars are now side by side but the Sauber is still 45 km/h slower.
img1897a.jpg

Pic3: The Sauber has now completed the overtake and started to speed away. But still 20 km/h slower than the R8
img1898w.jpg

Is this a game bug or just an extra layer of realism as speedometers aren't accurate at high speeds?

I think you forgot to turn off handicap.

This is the exact Setting:

Mode
Professional Race
Laps: 2 laps
Handicap Level: Off
Allow Collision: Enabled
Add A.I. Opponents: No

Car 1
Sauber Mercedes C9 Race Car '89 (927 HP)
Transmission: Automatic (AT)
Front Tires: Racing R1
Rear Tires: Racing R1
TCS: Off
ASM: Off
Active Steering: Off
Driving Physics: Professional

Car 2
Audi R8 Race Car '01 (784 HP)
Transmission: Automatic (AT)
Front Tires: Racing R1
Rear Tires: Racing R1
TCS: Off
ASM: Off
Active Steering: Off
Driving Physics: Professional

Track
Test Course
Driving Line: Off

Maybe the speedometer in the Sauber has a bug?
Shouldnt it be able to drive around 370 in slipstream (judging from GT4)?
This would also fit.

Maybe the speedometer in the Sauber has a bug?
Shouldnt it be able to drive around 370 in slipstream (judging from GT4)?
This would also fit.

This isn't in top speed. It's on the first straight after the start. I let the R8 go a few seconds before the Sauber. The Sauber is much faster than the R8 and tops 377 km/h without slipstream (according to it's own speedometer). The R8 ironically tops 377 km/h without slipstream aswell although it is much slower.

It is indeed RBE that causes this. I noticed the AI Veyrons creeping up in my mirror when running 401 kmh in my own Veyron. In the replay I expected their speed to be slightly faster because of RBE (something like 410 or so), but they were actually doing only 380 according to the speedometer. Apparently, RBE is applied somewhere under water and does not affect the speedometer.

RBE should have no place in an online situation though, I believe you can turn it off for ad-hoc?

If it's off it could be a bug. I don't think I have had it happen to me in single player ever though, it always appears to be the AI players.

Were your AI guys at the same level for that track?
One make race (Veyron), S-class, Test Track, no tuning except R3-tires. They were driving behind me, but not drafting (I was on the far left, they were on the far right). They were gaining on me, but their speedometer showed a lower speed.

I think one would detect it fairly easily if it happened to you, because you would be driving different speeds at certain revs?

One make race (Veyron), S-class, Test Track, no tuning except R3-tires. They were driving behind me, but not drafting (I was on the far left, they were on the far right). They were gaining on me, but their speedometer showed a lower speed.

I think one would detect it fairly easily if it happened to you, because you would be driving different speeds at certain revs?

True, stupid thought on my part. I didn't think it through to its logical conclusion

That does not make sense! Imagine I'm driving a Mégane and you are driving the Veyron, you overlap me, obviously when you overtake me the speed will be different :dunce:

It is indeed RBE that causes this. I noticed the AI Veyrons creeping up in my mirror when running 401 kmh in my own Veyron. In the replay I expected their speed to be slightly faster because of RBE (something like 410 or so), but they were actually doing only 380 according to the speedometer. Apparently, RBE is applied somewhere under water and does not affect the speedometer.

RBE should have no place in an online situation though, I believe you can turn it off for ad-hoc?

Yup, thats the same force I would assume that keeps the AI cars glued in a 3 car pack.

True, stupid thought on my part. I didn't think it through to its logical conclusion
Well, actually I thought about it for a bit. The cars appear to be running at a normal speed and revs, but the speed is actually higher. That is something you will not notice from dials alone, but it should affect braking points, since you are actually going faster than you think, which could lead to braking too late. But I have not heard any complaining about people missing brake points (yet)?

That does not make sense! Imagine I'm driving a Mégane and you are driving the Veyron, you overlap me, obviously when you overtake me the speed will be different :dunce:
Read again, this thread is about a car with lower speed overtaking one with higher speed. I've had a Veyron running 380kmh overtake me (also Veyron) while I am doing 401kmh. ;)

It is not RBE. I can ensure you that. It doesn't matter which car is first. I think it's the R8 that has a broken speedometer. An R8 doing 370 km/h can't keep up with an Escudo doing 304 km/h.

I think it's the R8 that has a broken speedometer.
Well, I've had this happen to me in a single player race with Veyrons only (I can post a video if you like) where I am in the lead doing 401, while the AI is gaining on me doing 380, so it's not just the R8, but it's a broader issue.

Well, actually I thought about it for a bit. The cars appear to be running at a normal speed and revs, but the speed is actually higher. That is something you will not notice from dials alone, but it should affect braking points, since you are actually going faster than you think, which could lead to braking too late. But I have not heard any complaining about people missing brake points (yet)?

I think that for all physics calculations they'd run them as though the speed on the dial of each player was accurate. So your 380kmh car handles like it's at 380kmh even if it's passing a 401kmh car. (I hope that made sense, I'm rather tired ATM)

I think that for all physics calculations they'd run them as though the speed on the dial of each player was accurate. So your 380kmh car handles like it's at 380kmh even if it's passing a 401kmh car. (I hope that made sense, I'm rather tired ATM)

You mean its like fast forward? If you have 350 on the dial you might be going 400 but still have the grip as if you were doing 350. I hope it's not like that.

It's because of the rubber band AI. The game tries to hide it by presenting the car's figures (speed, etc) as being regular, even though it's actually doing different speeds. That's how the GT By Citroen will keep up with the Veyron around Test Course. It can't actually go as fast, and the replay will show that it can't, but it will still miraculously sit on the tail of a 400km/hr Veyron.

It's because of the rubber band AI. The game tries to hide it by presenting the car's figures (speed, etc) as being regular, even though it's actually doing different speeds. That's how the GT By Citroen will keep up with the Veyron around Test Course. It can't actually go as fast, and the replay will show that it can't, but it will still miraculously sit on the tail of a 400km/hr Veyron.

You're wrong. This has nothing to do with either AI or rubber band. 2 cars that start exactly the same time in ad-hoc mode and drive side by side can have different speeds on their speedometers.

I would love to hear a comment from Kaz on this one.

it's just a minor bug, no big deal :embarrassed:
Well, that would depend. If it's just a matter of the speedometer being off, it's indeed a small issue. But if it's a case of RBE being on despite the fact that kekke2000 explicitly turned it off, then it's a 'slightly' bigger issue. ;)

Well, that would depend. If it's just a matter of the speedometer being off, it's indeed a small issue. But if it's a case of RBE being on despite the fact that kekke2000 explicitly turned it off, then it's a 'slightly' bigger issue. ;)

I must admit though it's more of a conversation starter than a big problem. But I'm just very curious about how it happens. It's not logic at all.

You're wrong. This has nothing to do with either AI or rubber band. 2 cars that start exactly the same time in ad-hoc mode and drive side by side can have different speeds on their speedometers.

I'd like to try that out.

So, the car going slower by about 30km is going to overtake the other while they both are going in a straight line?:dunce:

Back