Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey D

Premium
United States
Boyne Falls, MI
GTP_Joey
GTP Joey
.: 1974-1980 Triumph Spitfire 1500 suggested by the_fatadder :.

1978_triumph_spitfire_1500_red.jpg

Specs:
Make: Triumph
Model: Spitfire 1500
Built: 1974 - 1980
Drive: Front Engine RWD
Aspiration: Naturally Aspirated
Engine: 1493cc, 4 stroke, 4 cylinder, in line, front mounted. twin SU carburettors .Max power: 71 bhp @ 5500 rpm.
Max torque: 82 lb ft (111Nm) @ 3000 rpm.
Performance: 0-60 mph 13.2 sec.
Top speed: 100 mph
Dimensions:
Length: 12'5, Width: 4'10.5 in, Height: 3'1.5
Unladen weight: 1750lb​

Cool - old British sports car = involving...but sadly not only while driving, but also while on the side of the road.

Got no love for the Spitfire. It's just never appealed to me. Uncool.

Uncool. They are driven by 50 year old men who play a lot of golf and wear cheaply made hats from their favourite course while driving them. My buddy's dad has one, my dad wants one, some of his friends want one. Honestly I can't even remotely deem that cool.

What saves this car from going seriously uncool is it's name, anything called a Spitfire has some sort of awesomeness to it. Although the war plane will always be the coolest Spitfire.

Now don't get me wrong, I love little British sports car and I do like the Spitfire, it is just not cool.

Cool, though I think thats a mk4 (unless the US version of the 1500 has a different front)

spitfire1.jpg

Is the 'real' 1500 front (and no silly reflectors on the side :P)

Voted cool for a couple of reasons, its my car so im slightly biased for a start, its fantastic fun to drive, good looks.

Most importantly I was able to start driving this at 17, and used to drive it to school. What other RWD convertible can you get insured on at 17 in the UK!

Finally it sort of passes the girlfriend test, as women loved its looks, though strangely enough this love went pretty quickly after they went for a ride in it....
Ride is a little on the harsh side with the new suspension!

In short, love it and think its a very cool car, all be it not on the level of the TR6, E type, DB4 etc level of sub zero British classics. (And I really hope that this beats the Spridget thats up for the vote in a couple of days time!)

Strangely cool.

My dad told me he had a '74 Spitfire he bought brand new. Ran on 3 cylinders most of it's life, when it ran at all.

Cool. It's an open-top British sports car that isn't an MG and so doesn't immediately suffer from grandad-car connotations. And it's quite pretty.

Cool. I prefer the older versions which were not so crippled by then-new safety and emissions regulations, not to mention 1974-1980 British Labour. I also like the GT6.

Spits get a "cool" pass in my book because I had a friend who in 5th grade (1975 or so) who said "when I turn 16 Dad's going to buy a Spitfire for us to mess around in", and sure enough, that happened.

What's wrong with MGs? I mean besides the whole British Labour and Lucas electricals thing. I've seen a couple of MGBs with 6-cylinder Camaro or Mustang swaps that are very fun and nice cars indeed.

It's a british sports car. which is cool. But it's about as reliable as one. which is uncool...

and it doesn't quite have the raw Italian passion or madness to save it. so it sits on the fence...May slip to uncool simply because it's more obscure than the Sprite, TR6, or MGB.

and I like my Triumphs with TWO wheels. ;3

What's wrong with MGs? I mean besides the whole British Labour and Lucas electricals thing. I've seen a couple of MGBs with 6-cylinder Camaro or Mustang swaps that are very fun and nice cars indeed.

I think people have issues about MGB's because they became a bit ubiquitous* as the generic 'British Sportscar', especially by the time the dreadful federalized rubber bumper versions were out. They were usually **** brown or puke yellow or whatever other Leyland colour was available at the time. They were also very old-fashioned and out of date mechanically too. The earlier ones were fine little cars and had plenty of contemporary motorsport heritage that rubbed off on their image. The BL years pretty much destroyed that image.

*Not that being the ubiquitous sports car is a bad thing. It's never done the MX-5/Eunos/Miata any harm.

Cool. While not a performance monster it looks like it would be fun to drive. I kinda like the design too.

I think people have issues about MGB's because they became a bit ubiquitous* as the generic 'British Sportscar', especially by the time the dreadful federalized rubber bumper versions were out. They were usually **** brown or puke yellow or whatever other Leyland colour was available at the time. They were also very old-fashioned and out of date mechanically too.

I'll buy that, but frankly, singling out the poor MGB is not fair - everything sucked in the '70s.

My brother had one when he was about 18 or 19... he spun it exiting a roundabout and ended up parked in someones front garden.

Before that it was a great little car... only a 1500, but with a K&N and a different backbox it made a lovely noise for a 4cyl. Not brilliant to drive (woeful handling), but great fun.

Cool

Uncool. With a few exceptions I've never really had a soft spot for either British sports cars or Triumph's road cars. I'll take a Speed Triple or 675 Daytona though.

Certainly one of the best looking triumphs ever made, although my preference is towards the GT6 instead... unfortunatley, though I can respect people that put up with cars such as this (fatadder) and keep them on the road, I don't think they are cool at all.. sorry.

It's uncool because of it handles and performs poorly. Now if it was the TR8 then that would be cool.

Triumph-TR8-Convertible.jpg

Convertibles are far from cool. And are usually driven by sexually frustrated men. That's a statistical fact, not an opinion.

I know a number of well-sexed men, myself included, who will tell you exactly what you can do with your "statistical fact".

A generic looking British convertible... Boring to look at probably mostly driven by older folks who don't do anything but take it to the country club... Self explanatory I think. Uncool.

Cool little car. I'm sure it's fun to drive stock, but this is the kind of car that really screams, to me at least, swap in an LS1 or a 4.6!

LSX
Cool little car. I'm sure it's fun to drive stock, but this is the kind of car that really screams, to me at least, swap in an LS1 or a 4.6!

Funny you mention that...
Every time I open the bonnet a little bit of me is thinking Rover V8. There is so much room under there (more so if you fit a GT6 bonnet with bulge)

I know a number of well-sexed men, myself included, who will tell you exactly what you can do with your "statistical fact".

What's with the hostility? It's not like I conducted the study.

Wouldn't mind the keys to one of those but seeing as how there is a Coupe version available I would rather drive one of those*.

*If I had my license and all that stuff

COOL

You don't get the cool wall at all. How can you rate this car cool. Imagine you see that car on the streets and think "Wow, that's a nice car!" and yes, it is a nice car. But who will you find behind the wheel? An old man with more hair on his face than on his head. That's uncool!

Eh, sometimes that matters, sometimes it doesn't. I don't think Old Car Enthusiasts are uncool at all. On the other hand, young football/basketball stars tend to be uncool. 'least, when driving.

You don't get the cool wall at all. How can you rate this car cool. Imagine you see that car on the streets and think "Wow, that's a nice car!" and yes, it is a nice car. But who will you find behind the wheel? An old man with more hair on his face than on his head. That's uncool!

That car in your avatar is extremely uncool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back