GTP Cool Wall: DeLorean Motor Company DMC-12. Voting Open!

• Thread starter Joey D
  • 35 comments

DMC-12

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Joey D

Premium
United States
Boyne Falls, MI
GTP_Joey
GTP Joey
.: 1981-1982, 2008+ DeLorean Motor Company DMC-12 suggested by Peterram430 :.

DavidLyttleDeLorean1_hires.jpg

Specs:
Production - 1981–1982, 2008–present
Assembly - Dunmurry, Northern Ireland, Houston, Texas
Class - Sports car
Body style(s) - 2-door coupe
Layout - RR layout
Engine(s) - 2849 cc PRV V6
Transmission(s) - 5-speed manual, 3-speed automatic
Wheelbase - 2,413 mm (95.0 in)
Length - 4,216 mm (166.0 in)
Width - 1,857 mm (73.1 in)
Height - 1,140 mm (44.9 in) doors closed, 1,961 mm (77.2 in) doors open
Curb weight - 1,230 kg (2,712 lb)
Designer - Giorgetto Giugiaro​

Not a very fast, good looking or capable car. But Doc Emmett Brown and the whole John Delorean affair make it cool.

The fact is, the concept, albeit misguided, (Wrong grade of Stainless, it corroded under salt water) wasn't altogether bad, and considering the fact that it was designed for the U.S. market (and had to conform to it's laws) as a forward-thinking automobile, it didn't do too badly. The one in GT4 also really runs well, a true sweetheart, that one. If that car's any indication of how the car actually handles, I'd seriously consider one if it weren't so stinkin' rare. (I'd equip mine with a Porsche mill, of course. and maybe Carbon body panels, if I were that rich. Even better: Stainess-fiber-epoxy composite. :D )

Of course, there's the fact that it starred alongside Michael J. Fox and Christopher Lloyd in one of the most awesome sci-fi comedy trilogies ever, that makes it cool, too.

Last edited:
Cool, because anyone who has ever watched Back To The Future will associate the car with that film and people think any cars featured in films are cool, and anyone who hasn't seen BTTF can appreciate the slightly retro take on futuristic styling.

Plus, gullwing doors are cool.

Out of my 22 rules, 7 apply here. 5 pros and 2 cons. 5 out of 7 = 70.5% = Uncool.

Nevertheless, its an interesting car. Styling is nice and the movie made it famous. Rubbish performance though.

Only reason people know about this car is because of a sci-fi movie. This of course means you can't drive it without being labeled a geek. The fact that it's ugly and has the performance of a boulder make it uncool

I thought they were cool too, until my brother decided to buy two a couple years back because he liked them so much. Worst mistake he ever made... they broke down constantly and apart from the really high "head-turning" factor.... the performance was as mentioned, rubbish... So it was cool in my eyes until I saw it IRL and witnessed it first-hand. Uncool.

1.21 gigawatts!

Subzero design and style, but uncool mechanics. I'll take the middle ground and give it a cool.

Cool!

May not do anything particularly well, but I know when I first had watched BTF I thought the car was awesome. When one was at a local car show, I headed straight for it, I wanted to see how different it was from the movie car, and I wanted to drive it through a barn, and a pine tree, and leave flaming tire marks everywhere. Sadly I had left my Plutonium at home, so I was stuck in 2000-whatever the year, so I only looked at it, but I still think it's cool, flaming tire tracks or not. If it were a performer, it would with out a doubt be sub zero.

The idea behind this car was great. Make a nice little US sports car that didn't rust and would turn heads. It would have been nice to give it the power it needed to really needed to be "fast" (would have made it sub-zero too), a cool car none the less.

Mind-numbingly sub-zero.

It's a rearengined car that isn't a 911, and has looks that could kill in the '80s. Shame it didn't have more power, though.

This is one where I tend to blur my lines. Just a tad. The idea was fantastic, the performance pedestrian. I give it huge props for going out by itself, out from the umbrella of any other corporation and employing an unusual (for an American car) layout. Just pity the mechanical wasn't up to snuff. Still voted Sub Zero.

Cheers,
Jetboy

Seriously Uncool. Never seen the movie (although I have heard of it, doesn't sway the vote though), the RR configuration is weird and only really works with Porsches/Volkswagen Beetles, and even the Gullwings don't save it.

Its a poor performing, ugly car whos only selling point is its connection to a cheesy 80s film. Its a car that you really couldnt drive without an endless stream of comments directed at it related to the film.
It has Gull wing doors (something which I think were only cool on one car (which would just happen to be sitting in Lord Kelvin's Ice Box). On anything else its uncool.

End result of all the above, a vote for Seriously Uncool

Cool, definite collectors piece, not the best performer but serves its purpose.

So what if it's the star of a cult favorite? So what if its stainless steel isn't stainless? So what if it's a geeky looking 80's sports car? This car has the nod factor in my eyes, it has decent styling, Giorgetto Guigaro did a good job on this one.

COOL

Definantly Sub Zero, it's a pretty awesome car, and there has not been a car like it. and also the fact its in Back to the future as well ^^ awesome movie :D

back_to_the_future.jpg

Uncool car made cool by a movie.

back-to-the-future-car-dolorean.jpg

Ah! much better nice rear diffuser. haha

Agreed. ^ I'd drive that around no problem. However I'd prefer the model with the "Mister Fusion", That way I'd have a place for my empty beer cans and banana peels besides the glove box.

Refueling.jpg

Back