GTP Cool Wall: Austin-Healey Sprite IV/MG Midget MKIII. Voting Open!

• Thread starter Joey D
  • 24 comments

Austin Healey Sprite/MG Midget

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Joey D

Premium
United States
Boyne Falls, MI
GTP_Joey
GTP Joey
.: 1966-1974 Austin-Healey Sprite IV/MG Midget MKIII suggested by Frankinsten :.

1969_Austin_Healey_Sprite.jpg

Specs:

Manufacturer: MG/Austin-Healey
Production: 1966-1974
Engine: 1275cc 4cyl A-series Engine
Transmission: 4-speed manual
Power: 64bhp@5750rpm
Torque: 72lb @3000rpm
0-60: 14 Sec
Fuel Consumption: 34mpg
Length: 11ft 5in
Width: 4ft 7in
Weight: 714kg​

I'll repost with minor changes.

Uncool. They are driven by 50 year old men who play a lot of golf and wear cheaply made hats from their favourite course while driving them. My dad wouldn't mind one and some of his friends want one. Honestly I can't even remotely deem that cool.

Now don't get me wrong, I love little British sports car and I do like the Midget, it is just not cool.

Cool, but only just.

Pre rubber bumper it was a nice looking car, its also a small British sports car which is a good thing.

Looses marks on image (the MG badge hasnt aged well, and in my mind an Austin Healey should be a big car.) Also looses marks for being an MG (and i am inherently biased against it because of my Triumph ownership :P)

Everything else is pretty similar to what I said about the spitfire, in that (when its a younger guy driving) girls seem to like it, and that it does tend to get some looks when its being driven through town.

In the end I want to put it between cool and uncool, but where as previous cars I have wanted to put in this nonexistant class I havent liked, I do have a soft spot for the spridget and that means it just makes the cut into cool.

Out of my 22 rules, 5 apply, 3 are pros and 2 are cons. 3 out of 5 = 60% = Seriously uncool.

Last edited:
Out of my 22 rules, 3 cons and 2 cons apply.

Senselessly inane and non-understandable post of the day sponsored by Austin Healey

I think the car was cool enough... small, sporty and fun. One of the first of a generation of small roadsters that drove a generation and made it fun again to have a convertible.

Last edited:
Uncool for pretty much the same reasons as the Triumph Spitfire. It would be cool if it was the earlier Frog-eyed Sprite.

Uncool for pretty much the same reasons as the Triumph Spitfire. It would be cool if it was the earlier Frog-eyed Sprite.

Merely cool because it's a Sprite. Not anywhere near sub-zero because of said Frog-eye. Still... just enough to lift it from the fence for me.

A long time ago, I went to one of my friends houses one, he lifted up the garage door and a creme colored Austin Healey was sitting right in front of me. Having never seen one before, I instantly thought it was a cool car, I still feel that way today. I would have loved to drive it, but his step dad would have none of that stuff happening. :lol: For me it brings things to mind like, winding European roads, James bond, and well other European stuff. :lol:

I also feel the same for this car as I do for the Triumph, that it would be fun to swap in an 8 cylinder engine. Make it a little topless cruise missile :D

Convertible.

I'm so terribly sorry if Duke or M-Spec react as if i've insulted them personally for thinking so.

and in my mind an Austin Healey should be a big car.

Wut? They always made small sports cars....
I mean, this is a British car maker we are talking about here, with a very British name. How does that make you think big cars?

Sorry, but that post blowed my mind.

Anyway, cool. Because my uncle owns one and I always liked Austin's styling.

Wut? They always made small sports cars....
I mean, this is a British car maker we are talking about here, with a very British name. How does that make you think big cars?

Sorry, but that post blowed my mind.

Anyway, cool. Because my uncle owns one and I always liked Austin's styling.

Sorry, what I mean is big relative to a sprite, thinking more the 3000, longer, wider and with a big 6 up front.

Aww, crap, I realized that it's not the Bugeye.

But, meh. It's British, it's reasonably swift, and it's teeny. It's cool enough. :3

Cool. Mainly due to the facts my friend just navigated in one in a 4 day rally a couple of weekends ago and it's small, light and rear drive. it might have no real pace and little grip but I bet it would be a good way to learn rear drive. As long as you didn't crash.

Not really interested in the car. Don't like it but I don't hate it either.

NEUTRAL

Cool - but only because I'm willing to forget about the picture in the first post and think more about Jezza's white one with green stripes. :D

Last edited:
Cool, like (and for the reasons as) the Spitfire. I do prefer the big Healeys over the Spridget, though. I remember when you could see a lot of them on the streets.

I find it slightly cool. Sub-zero if it was white with green stripes and had an ex-SEAT works driver who spoke no English sitting in the passenger seat constantly taking part in a mathematics exam, and a middle-aged man in the driver's seat constantly racing a red Mustang convertible while stuck in third gear and ruining his own lap times for the rally that he's in.

Cool, but only just.

Pre rubber bumper it was a nice looking car, its also a small British sports car which is a good thing.

Looses marks on image (the MG badge hasnt aged well, and in my mind an Austin Healey should be a big car.) Also looses marks for being an MG (and i am inherently biased against it because of my Triumph ownership :P)

Everything else is pretty similar to what I said about the spitfire, in that (when its a younger guy driving) girls seem to like it, and that it does tend to get some looks when its being driven through town.

In the end I want to put it between cool and uncool, but where as previous cars I have wanted to put in this nonexistant class I havent liked, I do have a soft spot for the spridget and that means it just makes the cut into cool.[/q
spitfire owners unite!

Back