audir10tdiracecareiffel.jpg

Specs:
Engine - 5499cc DOHC 48-valve V-12 Turbodiesel
Layout - MR layout
Transmission - 5-speed sequential manual
Power - 650-ish
Torque - 950-ish
Curb weight - 2057 lb
Zero to 60 mph - Probably quite a small number.
Standing 1/4-mile - Ditto.
Price - Probably lots. $15 million+, though that is overall operating costs, so maybe not.​

Last edited:
Wow, this just opened. But I voted Sub-Zero, it's a good race car and a part of one the most successful teams in Sports Car racing. Not quite the R8, but it's right up there and will be in the history books.

Audi proved that diesels aren't loud, black smoke pouring, inefficient engines with the R10 and continues it with the R15 and their road cars.

Subzero.

Uncool. Much as I like diesels, diesel race cars don't really do anything for me, regardless of their success. They aren't as exciting to watch because they aren't as noisy which makes them uncool from a motorsport spectator perspective, and a great many racing drivers don't want anything to do with them and are dreading the day when they're made to race one, so they aren't really cool from a driver's perspective too.

It's the kind of car i had in mind when making my Cool Wall rules. To me, It's an utterly sublime piece of engineering, of pushing boundaries, of taking what hasn't been done and doing it 💡 (Winning at La Sarthe in the meantime).

Out of my 22 rules, 10 apply, all of them Pros. 10 out of 10 = 100 = Lord Kelvin's Ice Box. (Although i think, not a lot of people will support this :P).

Uncool. They aren't as exciting to watch because they aren't as noisy which makes them uncool from a motorsport spectator perspective, and a great many racing drivers don't want anything to do with them and are dreading the day when they're made to race one, so they aren't really cool from a driver's perspective too.

Surely, you haven't seen the amazing battles that ensue between the Peugeot 908 and the R10/R15. For this motorsport spectator perspective, watching them break lap records quite easily, pummeling the competition, and stretching their stints is quite remarkable. And i dont think racing drivers dislike them either, ask Tom Kristensen which got his "Mr. Le Mans" nickname thanks to the R10, or ask the Gené/Wurz/Brabham trio that won it this year, or ask Henry Pescarolo that he hates them so much he bought one from Peugeot for his privateer team so Pagenaud, Boullion, and Tréluyer could have a shot at running with the big works teams...which they did for a part of the race.

Plus, while most Audis are uncool for being Cock's cars...give this car to a Cock to see how many seconds he can run without smashing it...:lol:. This is a RACING Audi! :D.

EDIT: I want to show you guys a couple of pics of a shirt I made myself and a die-cast I bought at Audi's Museum Mobile at Ingolstadt :lol:. I didn't nominated this car for nothing...

IMG_3456.jpg

http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv170/CarBastard/IMG_3457.jpg?t=1259524256
http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv170/CarBastard/IMG_3458.jpg?t=1259524257
http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv170/CarBastard/IMG_3459.jpg?t=1259524258
http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv170/CarBastard/IMG_3460.jpg?t=1259524258

Someone knows how to resieze the images in the post? The pictures are a bit big and i wouldn't like to mess up the thread :lol:.

Last edited:
Sub-zero

Amazing what Audi did with this car,they took racing to an all new level with this one.

Diesel is a fuel for commercial vehicles and family cars - it has no place in racing cars.

It might be an engineering masterpiece and be super efficient, but it has no soul.

Uncool

Edit... Imagine never hearing the howl of a V10 F1 engine ever again, imagine never hearing a Judd V10 on the Mulsanne, imagine never hearing a DTM at full chat... the noise a racing engine makes is an intrisic part of what makes it so special... and diesel engines sound s***.

Last edited:
Diesel race cars aren't cool, but this one is an exception to the rule. Love the shape and the power, definitely a cool car. 👍

Surely, you haven't seen the amazing battles that ensue between the Peugeot 908 and the R10/R15. For this motorsport spectator perspective, watching them break lap records quite easily, pummeling the competition, and stretching their stints is quite remarkable.

Dominance isn't fun to watch. Someone breaking a lap record isn't fun to watch. Noisy cars battling with each other are fun to watch. There have been great battles between cars regardless of the fuel, but a battle is only part of the spectacle. The sights, sounds and smells are all very important too.

And i dont think racing drivers dislike them either, ask Tom Kristensen which got his "Mr. Le Mans" nickname thanks to the R10, or ask the Gené/Wurz/Brabham trio that won it this year, or ask Henry Pescarolo that he hates them so much he bought one from Peugeot for his privateer team so Pagenaud, Boullion, and Tréluyer could have a shot at running with the big works teams...which they did for a part of the race.

Because a racing driver is really going to complain about the car if he's winning all the time...

Incidentally, unrelated to the power source, but LMPs are ugly as hell IMO. Doesn't help with the cool thing.

Not really true

-It was a difficult car to drive.
-Reliability-wise it didn't prove to be all that bulletproof.
-The Peugeots were faster.

In 2006, 2007, and 2008 somebody else always had a pretty good chance to win the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

I'm torn between cool, and sub-zero.

I think this is just a great car, Diesel power baby! Made me realize it's not just for large pickup trucks. :lol:

Seriously though, the car has proven it's self, looks very good and goes like crazy.

I do however like the new R15 even more, that car would be an SZ vote.

Uncool, mostly because of the biased rules at La Mens that favour the diesels. As far as I'm concerned a diesel race car looses a lot of the things (sound, smell etc) that make a race car special.

Secondly its an Audi....

Thirdly its been a very long time since any cars in the top group at La Mens has actually been pretty, even Aston failed to make a good looking car. this Audi just isnt anything special to look at.

Saved from Seriously uncool simply because its so dammed good at what it does.

Not really true
It won its debut race at Sebring and set a qualifying record at the track. It won its first race at Le Mans by four laps and was fastest in qualifying. It won its first race at Petit Le Mans. In 2007 it won Sebring again, and set a track record. And then it won Le Mans again, this time by ten laps, and was the fastest car in the race besides. No one could even touch the car until 2008, by which point it was in its third season.
That things aren't quite as boring as they were when the R8 won everything on the schedule doesn't actually mean much in the grand scheme of things. Coupled with the fact that, while the R10 was winning everything in sight overall, the GT classes were heating up for the first time in a good while and the problem only gets worse.

Last edited:
No one could even touch the car until 2008, by which point it was in its third season.

That doesn't discount that the car wasn't perfect("no cracks in the armor"). In 2006 at the 24 Hours, I believe each car spent extra time in the pits. If the lead car had more trouble Pescarolo could have won. In 2007, 2 cars crashed, one due to driver error and the other from a mechanical failure. Peugeot were still learning the ropes. In 2008, they won because Peugeot screwed up. So despite having 2 years with theoretically no competition, all 3 years somebody else had a shot at 1st.

Uncool a great many racing drivers don't want anything to do with them and are dreading the day when they're made to race one, so they aren't really cool from a driver's perspective too.

If it will bring them throphies and fame, why wouldn't they. That doesen't make sense to me. As a race driver you want to be in the car that can dominate. Don't you think?

If it will bring them throphies and fame, why wouldn't they. That doesen't make sense to me. As a race driver you want to be in the car that can dominate. Don't you think?

*Sigh*

Because a racing driver is really going to complain about the car if he's winning all the time...

Just because they're winning, it doesn't mean they prefer it to a petrol. If you race for Audi or SEAT or one of those manufacturers that invests a large amount of money into making a quick diesel race car, do you really think that drivers are going to speak out and say "well, I hate how it drives really but who gives a damn? I'm winning"? No, they're going to toe the party line, back the technology and enjoy the spoils if they come their way.

If you go back far enough though you'll find plenty of drivers who weren't keen on how the cars drove but mysteriously shut up when they started winning. They didn't change their minds, they just started getting paid a hell of a lot more...

Bottom line - you'll struggle to find many racing drivers who'd be too enthusiastic if more and more of their cars started becoming diesels...

After several cool wall cars I couldn't vote for ( couldn't decide between cool & uncool ), this one is easy :

Seriously Uncool

Diesel.

Uncooland a great many racing drivers don't want anything to do with them and are dreading the day when they're made to race one, so they aren't really cool from a driver's perspective too.

Not trying to stir things, but you got a source for this? I'm quite interested in what these drivers actually have to say about the shift to diesel.

Like turbo lag, I'm not voting for this either. It's a brilliant piece of engineering, but most prototype racers are. I'm not sure success alone makes a car cool.

Back