Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
** 1971 Mercedes-Benz 300SEL 6.8 suggested by High-Test **
06C1222_14Mercedes.jpg

Specs:
Engine - 6,834cc SOHC 16-valve V8
Layout - FR layout
Transmission - 5-speed manual (earlier models had 4-speed automatics)
Power - 428 bhp
Torque - 448 lb-ft
Curb weight - 3597 lbs
Zero to 60 mph - N/A
Standing 1/4-mile - N/A
Price - Whatever 120,000 in 1970s Deutsche Marks is equivalent to today.

Last edited:
The original car weighed as much as the moon, and went like stink. Then a bunch of crazy persons bored out the engine and stripped down the car, festooning a bunch of big lights everywhere and tacking on sponsor decals. This resulted in a car that weighed as much as one of Mars' moons and the ability to eat one's face. (two very big steps in the right direction)

This vehicle put AMG on the map. It's an example of someone else finishing the job that the in-house Mercedes-Benz engine designers left unfinished when they broke for coffee and cigarettes.

Plus, even after everything it was still ungodly heavy but managed to take the Spa 24 hour race by storm.

It just has a presence that all Mercedes-Benz S classes are assumed to have. This one, however, takes that presence and adds a heavy dose of radioactive isotopes and sith magic.

It's big, it's loud, it's thirsty, it's heavy, it only has four forward speeds...I'll take two, please.

Sub-Zero. Looks 🤬 bad-ass and it's a pre-'90s Merc which automatically equals at least cool. And then there's the engine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Practically a Mercedes Stock Car. Big V8, 4 speeds...aerodynamics of a brick. but what a brick!

Want PD to put this in GT5...and a few Cyclones, Torinos, Chevelles, and the like...juuuust to see how German Muscle would do at Daytona.

S-Z

It got 2nd at the 1971 24hrs of Spa (correct me if I'm wrong), but more than that, It's one of the most unique racing cars I've ever seen. It probably wasn't supposed to be raced in the first place!

Sub-Zero

@ speed157 In simplest terms, it's a long wheelbase S class. Racing? lolwut. I think MB just put the 6.3 under the hood so they could get a bit more use out of the umpteen zillions of dollars they spent on the M-100.

I'm sorry to be the first one to disagree and say it isn't cool or subzero. I like most of it, but it doesnt go outside the box in peformance/asthetics, and its VERY heavy. Out of my 22 rules, 12 apply, 9 being pros and 3 being cons = 9 out of 2 = 75% = Uncool (Although, 1% more would make it cool).

Sorry guys, if anything I think it's amusing but not cool. Looks like a tank on steriods. I do give AMG cool marks but not on this one. If they campained the C111 prototype back then maybe it would have made it to production. haha!

If the front headlights weren't so ugly:yuck: it would get a sub-zero.

But this car will get a cool in my opinion.👍

Something tells me this Benz is heading towards Lord Kelvin's Ice Box.:)

SubZero-est car we have voted on.
The car that put AMG on the map. High Test nailed it's credentials.

Beyond subzero. Beyond Kelvins scale. Deepest part of the darkest black hole cold.

neanderthal
SubZero-est car we have voted on.
Beyond subzero. Beyond Kelvins scale. Deepest part of the darkest black hole cold.

+twelve. Wasn't there a yellow one that ran at Hockenheimring the same year and did pretty well?

Everyone, lets throw fruit at him!

Besides, it's not like he's ever giving a shred of justification for whatever his pros or cons are, or even telling the ones to which he is referring. :dunce:

Plus, MB took the hint from this titan of automotive engineering and bored out the M100 to 6.9 liters. They then dumped into the next S class and we were given the 450SEL6.9, which was used to great effect in a certain film called C'était un rendez-vous. Too bad Claude lelouch was an idiot and overdubbed the MB's exhaust note. (unless he didn't..?)

Besides, it's not like he's ever giving a shred of justification for whatever his pros or cons are, or even telling the ones to which he is referring. :dunce:
Hey now, lets be nice. I never gave any justification or explanation when I was doing straight percentages up until last month, even though I had a very thorough system.

Absolutely sub-zero. Just like the 450SEL that came after...

Personally: limousine = seriously uncool

Mercedes = slightly cool

Mercedes limo in rally trim with a honking engine? Sub-zero, completely. The utter madness of the idea outweighs any other considerations in determining the coolness of the car.

I'm sorry to be the first one to disagree and say it isn't cool or subzero. I like most of it, but it doesnt go outside the box in peformance/asthetics, and its VERY heavy. Out of my 22 rules, 12 apply, 9 being pros and 3 being cons = 9 out of 2 = 75% = Uncool (Although, 1% more would make it cool).

That deserves a few watermelons to the head (lobs them over the fence...) :lol:

Sub-Z. All old Mercs are significantly cooler than new ones. It's a tank of a car, which is even cooler. It's a V8, which is even cooler still, and it's an AMG that isn't bought by fat plutocratic businessmen who'll never use the performance, so that's an instant sub zero.

And it looks awesome.

So... let me get this straight. If you all saw some guy driving around the local high street, you wouldn't think "What tosser's butchered an old Merc?"?

So... let me get this straight. If you all saw some guy driving around the local high street, you wouldn't think "What tosser's butchered an old Merc?"?

Nah, I reserve that for people who black out the windows and give them chromed wheels.

It's still chopped to pieces, with gaudy stuck-on lights and stickers, an absurd ride height and wheels and a roll cage.

Race car it may be, but on the road it'd just look like a ruined classic Merc. I certainly wouldn't think the person driving it was cool.

Probably not, but then we're not voting on it as a road car. We've had a few race cars already in the polls and I expect this one is being nominated as such.

If it was a road car, and had a proper ride height, a front bumper and was painted silver all over, now that'd be a cool road car.

I don't vote on the race car threads as they're patently ridiculous. But this is a 70s GT race car. Which makes it a road car...

Again, it's a racing car so can't be judged in the same way as a road car. No vote.

Since it never won a race it's also a failed race car, so if anything it's uncool.

Last edited:
Sub-Z. All old Mercs are significantly cooler than new ones. It's a tank of a car, which is even cooler. It's a V8, which is even cooler still, and it's an AMG that isn't bought by fat plutocratic businessmen who'll never use the performance, so that's an instant sub zero.

And it looks awesome.

+1000 👍

Everyone, lets throw fruit at him!

*Throws canteloupe* :D

*slingshots some coconuts at his head* :mischievous:

This car is so much more than Sub-Zero it's not funny.

Add a vote to the LORD KELVIN fridge for me!! :cool:

Maybe it's just me. I also think clapped-out and rollcaged old Volvos are cool, too.

Again, it's a racing car so can't be judged in the same way as a road car. No vote.

Since it never won a race it's also a failed race car, so if anything it's uncool.

So... first in class and second overall at the 24 hours of Spa isn't good enough? Any brick that actually survives a 24 hour race is worthy of respect.

Back